View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Brown didn’t sign his one-year RFA tender... 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Brown didn’t sign his one-year RFA tender...
Quote:
Ronnie Brown didn’t sign his one-year restricted free agent tender before last night’s midnight deadline, but don’t worry Dolphins fans, Brown didn’t turn into a pumpkin.

Brown, a former first-round pick, has a unique contract situation for this season. All that matters is he sign his one-year deal, worth $3.97 million, 30 days before the start of the season, which is August 10. After speaking with a few NFLPA sources this morning, I am going to attempt to explain this in plain English:

ADD (5:20 p.m.): A league source informs me that the 30-day rule only applies to players under contract, so it does not apply to Brown. The only deadline Brown appears to have to sign his contract, in order to play all 16 games, is right before the Sept. 12 season opener.

More on the deal here: http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... is-aug-10/

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:15 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: Brown didn’t sign his one-year RFA tender...
From the Sun Sentinel:

Quote:
See, teams can now lower their tender offer to 110 percent of the players 2009 salary IF they hadn’t signed by June 15th. But that doesn’t impact Brown considering the Dolphins opted out of the rookie contract he signed in 2005 as the No. 2 pick of that draft, passing on the final season of the deal, which would have paid Brown $5 million in 2010.

However, the Dolphins secured his rights by offering Brown a one-year tender that will pay him $3.97 million, which coincidentally IS 110 percent of his salary. That means the scare tactic the NFL is using won’t bite Brown in the backside because HE’S ALREADY AT THE LOWEST TENDER.

Earlier this offseason Brown didn’t sign his tender because he wanted control over where he played in 2010 considering teams can only trade players who have signed their tender. But what’s the holdup now?

Not signing means Brown, the trigger man for the Dolphins’ infamous Wildcat scheme, can continue to play hardball (if that’s his desire). Even though he’s participated in all of the team’s offseason work, Brown can hold the threat of sitting out training camp over the franchise’s head (if he sees fit).

Without signing his deal Brown can’t be fined for his absence.

But can Brown, the team’s resident Mr. Nice Guy, get nasty with the Trifecta? Especially in a year he’s coming back from yet another serious injury, and is trying to step up his role as a team leader?

Can, and will Brown play hardball with the Trifecta, who re-sign Ricky Williams last season with a Post It note that featured a respectable one-year extension. Why has Bill Parcells not treated Brown with the same gesture?

How much legs does this 2008 Pro Bowl tailback have to stand on in his demands request for a multi-year deal? And how far will Brown go to get their attention?

The whole read: http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... ender.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:20 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

In the last 3 years Ronnie has had a torn ACL and a torn Linsfranc injury. As much as I like Ronnie I would go a different route after this season. He wants a long term contract and I honestly do not know the long term effect of these injuries are to a position that receives constant physical abuse. If he has a great season this year then a 2 or 3 year contract is all I would give him. He'll want more than that though.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:23 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Big Dave wrote:
In the last 3 years Ronnie has had a torn ACL and a torn Linsfranc injury. As much as I like Ronnie I would go a different route after this season. He wants a long term contract and I honestly do not know the long term effect of these injuries are to a position that receives constant physical abuse. If he has a great season this year then a 2 or 3 year contract is all I would give him. He'll want more than that though.

My prediction on Ronnie:
Even if he completely tears up the league this year, Ronnie will be a FA after this season
The Dolphins will spend a high round pick (1st or 2nd) on a RB in the next draft.

It's really too early to predict draft picks for next year, but Ronnie is too injury prone to count on long term. Ricky is too old to count on and is best as a backup. We will need a RB badly and FA RB's don't cut it as the #1 guy. We will be looking for a RB in the draft. Count on it.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:43 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

He doesnt want to be traded (or if he is he wants a new deal from the team trading for him), which can still happen at any time...

Guess there was more than meets the eye when all those trade rumors were flying around...

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:05 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Re: Brown didn’t sign his one-year RFA tender...
Ronnie Brown is one of the best RB's in the NFL.. That being said, his durability is questionable - blown ACL, a broken foot and who knows what else !! Let's face it - he shouldn't be used as a battering ram any more, and should be used in the passing game and the WildFin Formation. I'm not advocating that he is not useful, but has to be limited to < 20 carries per game.. I don't know what he's looking for $$$ wise, but we're not looking at a fortune.. I'm looking for a 3 year extension to be added to his 1 year left on his contract = 4 more years.. One more season ending injury and he probably should hang up the cleats !! The Trifecta should treat him fairly; Ronnie has to be the fan favorite and commands due respect !! Consider the way Marcus Allen & Rodger Craig were used near the end of their careers; Ronnie should be used the same way. He will always be remembered as the player who "personally" destroyed the Patriots, in their own stadium, running the "Wild Fin" !! NUFF SAID !!

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:10 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

BurlyDude72 wrote:
Ronnie Brown is one of the best RB's in the NFL.. That being said, his durability is questionable - blown ACL, a broken foot and who knows what else !! Let's face it - he shouldn't be used as a battering ram any more, and should be used in the passing game and the WildFin Formation. I'm not advocating that he is not useful, but has to be limited to < 20 carries per game.. I don't know what he's looking for $$$ wise, but we're not looking at a fortune.. I'm looking for a 3 year extension to be added to his 1 year left on his contract = 4 more years.. One more season ending injury and he probably should hang up the cleats !! The Trifecta should treat him fairly; Ronnie has to be the fan favorite and commands due respect !! Consider the way Marcus Allen & Rodger Craig were used near the end of their careers; Ronnie should be used the same way. He will always be remembered as the player who "personally" destroyed the Patriots, in their own stadium, running the "Wild Fin" !! NUFF SAID !!

pokefin? Stop trying to patent the word "wildfin." It will never catch on. Ronnie Brown has never been used as a battering ram, either.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:51 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish
Phinfever Global Moderator & FFL Commish

Iowafin wrote:
pokefin? Stop trying to patent the word "wildfin." It will never catch on. Ronnie Brown has never been used as a battering ram, either.

He wasn't?

In 2007 he had 119 attempts in 6.5 games. That's 293 carries in a 16 game season. He also had 39 receptions; that's 96 catches. He was on pace for a 2,400+ total yards, 391 touch season. Chris Johnson this past season had 408 touches and 2,500 yards. Ricky in 2002:

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
BurlyDude72 wrote:

pokefin?

Gotta be, look at all the exclamation points. hahaha :)

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phins Rock wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

He wasn't?

In 2007 he had 119 attempts in 6.5 games. That's 293 carries in a 16 game season. He also had 39 receptions; that's 96 catches. He was on pace for a 2,400+ total yards, 391 touch season. Chris Johnson this past season had 408 touches and 2,500 yards. Ricky in 2002:

293 carries is not a battering ram. And I don't think you can throw in catches because pokefin said "don't use him as a battering ram and throw him the ball."
A battering ram would be how Norv Turner used LT, or Dave Wannstadt used Ricky Williams. I'm not sure Johnson was a battering ram because was getting 5.6 yards a pop...which is indicative of him getting to the second level and not taking a beating. Know what I mean?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]