View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Sanchez vs. Henne debate 
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Sanchez vs. Henne debate
Another look at Henne-Sanchez debate

June, 11, 2010

By Tim Graham

Matthew in New York City writes into the AFC East mailbag with a hot-button question:
What's the deal with your seemingly constant disdain and skepticism for Chad Henne? I feel like anytime a report or give an analysis of him that comes out in a positive manner, you're the first to say "HOLD ON" and put everyone's expectations in check. What it is about Henne that causes your consistent negative response? Seriously!

There appears to be a perception among readers I'm some sort of Henne hater. I've received notes similar to Matthew's over the past few weeks. But those reactions aren't proper. Never once have I expressed skepticism about Henne's future. In fact, I believe he will be a franchise-caliber quarterback for the Miami Dolphins and hold down the position for many years to come.

Where I can understand Dolfans disagreeing with my opinion regarding Henne is that I think New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez will have a better second season as his team's starter.

That question has been debated on the AFC East blog a few times this spring, including in a podcast last month with Scouts Inc. analyst Matt Williamson and me.

Williamson preferred Henne. I preferred Sanchez -- for now because he's already played in three postseason games and has a better supporting cast. I agreed with Williamson that Henne might have the better career.

For a third opinion, I spoke with ESPN analyst Trent Dilfer to get the perspective of a 14-year veteran who won a Super Bowl.

"I like Chad Henne," Dilfer said. "I think he's good player. I think he's limited athletically. I don't think he's the same type of athlete as Mark Sanchez. He's not the same type of thrower. He's kind of a fastball thrower. He doesn't have the repertoire as a football player that Mark Sanchez has. That doesn't mean he can't develop it, but that's going to take longer.

"Sanchez is the unique talent of the last five or six draft classes because he has that Alpha male personality. He has that 'it factor.' Then physically he has the sudden feet, plenty of arm, is highly accurate, was mature beyond his years as a college player. He has a distinct advantage because of his makeup, the total package, and they're supporting him in such a great way.

"He's in as good a situation -- because of who he is and what they're doing as an organization -- as you can be in with a young quarterback."

-Rex Ryan

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Sanchez vs. Henne debate
I think Dirty Sanchez may have a better second year as well. I look at his supporting cast and the defense he has on the other side of the ball and I think he is in the best position of any young qb in the NFL to succeed. Long term I think Henne will be the better qb though. Henne has a cannon arm, football IQ, and ice water flowing through his veins.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:27 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phin wrote:
I think Dirty Sanchez may have a better second year as well. I look at his supporting cast and the defense he has on the other side of the ball and I think he is in the best position of any young qb in the NFL to succeed. Long term I think Henne will be the better qb though. Henne has a cannon arm, football IQ, and ice water flowing through his veins.

I don't see what is better about his supporting cast on offense.. Our offenses are almost identical. Brandon Marshall is better the anything the Jets have. We are both power running teams with very similar O-lines. They just lost their best run blocker as well. And they are replacing him with a rookie. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams at this point are better then what they have at RB. IMO, offensively, we get the edge. Their defense may be better currently. But, we have depth. If they lose a key starter here or there. They could be screwed!

But, we are talking about the young QB's supporting cast for a successful 2nd year. We didn't specify wins and losses. Or stats and production. Either way.. I think Henne will have the better 2nd year in both aspects.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:12 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

hypocritex wrote:
Phin wrote:

I don't see what is better about his supporting cast on offense.. Our offenses are almost identical. Brandon Marshall is better the anything the Jets have. We are both power running teams with very similar O-lines. They just lost their best run blocker as well. And they are replacing him with a rookie. Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams at this point are better then what they have at RB. IMO, offensively, we get the edge. Their defense may be better currently. But, we have depth. If they lose a key starter here or there. They could be screwed!

But, we are talking about the young QB's supporting cast for a successful 2nd year. We didn't specify wins and losses. Or stats and production. Either way.. I think Henne will have the better 2nd year in both aspects.

Completely agree.

The Jets got worse this off season. I really don't get their hype. The only spot they improved in is at WR with Holmes, but he will miss 2 games against NE and Miami, and 4 games overall.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:16 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Just based on the odds, I think Sanchez will have a better second season. I say that because his rookie season wasn't anything good.

He threw for 2400 yards. He only reached 200 yards 4 times in 15 games.
Only 12 TD's
20 INT's (that's a crappy ratio)
a 63 QB rating

He was: 23rd in yards thrown, 24th in TD's thrown, 28th in QB rating and 29th in completion %
while being 2nd in INT's thrown

If he wasn't a young guy, he'd probably be unemployed with those numbers.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:36 pm

Simply put Henne is better because he is a Dolphin.

What would be nice if we are having this debate 5 years from now. Alot of potential has come down the pike at the QB position for both these teams only to becoming remember them trivia questions.
Both seem to have a decent future , remember Sanchez had a limited # of starts in college & was a rookie starter & had a decent rookie season (you gotta admit)
Henne finally got his chance when Pennington went down & made us beleivers.

I dont want either of them to fail (do I get a demerit for that?).... I want to have fierce QB competition in the division. Its about time for more classic QB duels like between Marino , Bledsoe & Kelly.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:47 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Trent Dilfer again proves that he maybe even worse as an analyst than he was on the gridiron. Sanchez is not superior to Henne athletically and his skills certainly are not as refined as Henne's. I am putting my money on Chad all day in this fight.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:25 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
erikwb21 (6/13/2010 at 7:26 PM) Report Violation

henne 75 paaser rating
sanchez 63
henne afc east passer rating 84.7
sanchez 71.1
henne 4 4th qtr game winning drives
Sanchez:zero!!!
henne TD/int 12/14
sanchez 12/20
henne 2-0 vs the Jets

enough said!!!

BTW who said jets OL is better than the dolphins? (sacks both 26.) dolphins are younger too!

Someone posted this in the comments....It says it all!!!

Dilfer won the SB and was cut following the game....DILFER SUCKS!!!!!

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:06 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Nice.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:37 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

kev1321 wrote:
Quote:
erikwb21 (6/13/2010 at 7:26 PM) Report Violation

henne 75 paaser rating
sanchez 63
henne afc east passer rating 84.7
sanchez 71.1
henne 4 4th qtr game winning drives
Sanchez:zero!!!
henne TD/int 12/14
sanchez 12/20
henne 2-0 vs the Jets

enough said!!!

BTW who said jets OL is better than the dolphins? (sacks both 26.) dolphins are younger too!

Someone posted this in the comments....It says it all!!!

Dilfer won the SB and was cut following the game....DILFER SUCKS!!!!!

Sanchez 16 tds 8 int
Henne 12 tds 15 int

Debate over!

-Rex Ryan

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:11 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

trolling troll is trolling.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:16 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Henne sucks. But at least he is not a Jet, that would make him dirty low class trash & he would still suck

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sanchez 16 tds 8 int
Henne 12 tds 15 int

Debate over!

And that stat right there sums it up, I've been saying it all year. Now, if the Jets don't win the SB, they are in the same boat as the Fins except they will have a lower a draft pick.....better win that SB! LOL!

Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:48 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Makchell wrote:
Sanchez 16 tds 8 int
Henne 12 tds 15 int

Debate over!

And that stat right there sums it up, I've been saying it all year. Now, if the Jets don't win the SB, they are in the same boat as the Fins except they will have a lower a draft pick.....better win that SB! LOL!

Except the Jets have their franchise QB and the fins will still be searching for one, among other things. The view will be nice from above while the fins will be toiling with a 5-8 win team for the foreseeable future.

-Rex Ryan

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:59 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Except the Jets have their franchise QB and the fins will still be searching for one, among other things. The view will be nice from above while the fins will be toiling with a 5-8 win team for the foreseeable future

Say what you will, but if you don't win a SB, does it matter if you have a franchise QB? Nope, it sure doesn't. Sanchez is outplaying Henne as of right now, but he hasn't done crap yet until he wins the SB. Watch what you troll, er, say.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:23 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Makchell wrote:
Except the Jets have their franchise QB and the fins will still be searching for one, among other things. The view will be nice from above while the fins will be toiling with a 5-8 win team for the foreseeable future

Say what you will, but if you don't win a SB, does it matter if you have a franchise QB? Nope, it sure doesn't. Sanchez is outplaying Henne as of right now, but he hasn't done crap yet until he wins the SB. Watch what you troll, er, say.

Well according to your logic Dan Marino andJim Kelly have "never done crap" either. :yay:

-Rex Ryan

Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

why is a low life Jets fan here??? Ban him!!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Well according to your logic Dan Marino andJim Kelly have "never done crap" either.

Sure they put up numbers, but they never won a SB. Sanchez would be lucky to sniff Marino's sack, don't compare. I gave Sanchez props as an up and coming QB in this league. That could change though. He hasn't done crap yet, even number wise. If you want to debate, fine, but don't be stupid.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think its safe to say that Sanchez stunk it up pretty good tonight...leaves a pretty good match up next week, I guess we'll see which quarterback rebounds and which one lays another stinky egg..

Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:57 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

dolphinjim wrote:

I wish you could learn sports as well as the rest of us. Bantering with other teams fans is part of the game brah.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:02 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

00xtremeninja wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

I wish you could learn sports as well as the rest of us. Bantering with other teams fans is part of the game brah.

And yet you yourself call him a troll???? Hypocrite much? :)

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:06 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sanchez looked great last night, didn't he? LOL!

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:21 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Poor choon, got all amped up and came in here early thinking his team can hang with the elite...

See you soon choon, dust off those scuff marks and put some band aids on your pride & ego, Sunday you get to come back to an even ground and play an average team and look good again....

PS: tell JT the NFL sack leader Cameron Wake says Hi and thanks for selling out.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:23 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

dolphinjim wrote:
00xtremeninja wrote:
dolphinjim wrote:

And yet you yourself call him a troll???? Hypocrite much? :)

Oh I know I am at times. We don't need to try and hide anything.

Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:58 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

oh where oh where is CHOON ???? lol...... :cry: :cry:

Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]