View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Dolphins, Jets similarly matched despite offseason boasts 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Dolphins, Jets similarly matched despite offseason boasts
Quote:
They're beating the Super Bowl drums in New Jersey because the Jets have a wonderfully entertaining big mouth for a coach, an aggressive front office and a star-studded roster that suggests the team that fell in the conference title game last season can take the next step this season.
In Miami, no one is boasting. There are no Super Bowl dreams at night, and the days are filled with the usual silence from Bill Parcells and Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano.
At some point this offseason, Sparano might go out on a limb and predict the Dolphins will show up for their 2010 games.
So the approaches the Jets and Dolphins are taking are vastly different.
The expectation for each team is different. The vibe around the two teams is, you guessed it, different.
And that should not be.

Read more: http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/05/16/1 ... z0o6sg62MT

I would say the rosters compare like this:

QB - Even. I think Henne will develope into a better starter than Sanchez, but, trying to be as objective as possible, both are still ?'s.
RB - Miami. Huge advantage here.
FB - Miami. Richardson is still a great FB, but Polite has more pop to his game at this point, IMO.
WR - Jets. This could go either way. We know what we're going to get out of our WR's, while the Jets have a guy like Edwards that could either be a Pro Bowler or a 600 yard, 20 drop guy; Holmes is suspended for the first 4, and after Cotchery, who do the Jets really have? I would say Dustin Keller though pushes the Jets in front of Miami though.
O-line - Even. I think Miami has better OT's, but the Jets probably get the nod at RG and center. The LG spot is a question mark for both teams.

DE - Miami. This isn't even close.
NT - Miami. Tough to evaluate because Jenkins and Starks are polar opposites. Jenkins is coming off an injury and Starks is new to the position, but having Ferguson back for the last 8 pushes Miami over the top.
ILB - Even. I'd take Dansby over either of NY's, but I would also take Scott and Harris over CC.
OLB - Jets. Barely a win for NY, but they have more depth at the position and more experience.
FS - Even. Neither team has any legit starters (at least nobody who has proven they can be).
SS - Miami. Not even close. YB 10X > Leonard
CB - Jets. Miami has much better depth, but the Jets have Revis. This changes by 2011 though as I think Vontae will be every bit as good as Revis very soon.

Kicker - Miami. Not even close.
Punter - Miami. If Fields can stop being so dang inconsistent, he's a top 5 punter in the NFL.
Return game - Even. The Jets lost their return guy, so did we. This is up for grabs.

Coaching - Miami. To me, not even close.

Miami - 8 advantages.
Jests - 3 advantages.
Ties - 5 units/positions.

Just me though.

Sun May 16, 2010 9:49 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Dolphins, Jets similarly matched despite offseason boasts
The key to who will be the better team could come down to how well Cameron Wake and Koa Misi play. The Jets do have the advantage there right now. Though I think JT will be adequate for them.. Nothing more. If Cameron comes out and plays like we all know he can.. And Misi is even slightly better then what JT would have been on the Strong Side (Which shouldn't be too difficult) I think we COULD get the advantage here by the end of the year. But, time will tell.

IMO, Our O-line will end up better then theirs by the end of the season. We have great depth there.. We have John Jerry who is a much better prospect then who the Jets drafted to replace Faneca. Faneca was their O-line stud.

I also give the nod to our WR corps.. We had a bunch of #2 and #3 guys last year. They did well with what they had.. But, a number 1 guy opens up SO many more opportunities for us. Our corps.. are younger.. and ascending. And Brandon Marshall alone is better then Edwards and Holmes put together. Especially considering Holmes suspension..

But, I agree with everything else you said..

IMO, Lousaka Polite is the best FB in the game right now.

Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I think the edge goes to Miami's WR. Fundamentally, we are stronger then the Jets. Marshall, Bess, Hartline, and Camarillo are much more dependable then those stinkin' Jets. Especially when it comes to the drops department. The only way I concede to even, is if we have to factor in receiving TE's in which case I say even because Keller is much better then what we have. Where in the hell is a healthy David Martin?

Sun May 16, 2010 11:32 am

finfan808 wrote:
I think the edge goes to Miami's WR. Fundamentally, we are stronger then the Jets. Marshall, Bess, Hartline, and Camarillo are much more dependable then those stinkin' Jets. Especially when it comes to the drops department. The only way I concede to even, is if we have to factor in receiving TE's in which case I say even because Keller is much better then what we have. Where in the hell is a healthy David Martin?

I completely agree. You know what you're going to get out of our WR/TE core. It's high boom high bust in NY. Their WR core has a higher ceiling than ours though and Keller is much better than Fasano in the passing game, which is why I gave them the slight advantage.

Hypo, I agree with what you said about the O-line. I do think ours will be better, but there's no guarantee on a rookie LG, so, I went with the safe bet and said tie. I also think though, that you underestimate what JT did for us. Misi is my pick for DROY; I think he's a better version of Clay Mathews. But it will be hard to play up to the level of JT last year. I thought he played well despite playing out of his element.

Sun May 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Guys are losing perspective. It is not about just Miami vs. the Jets. There are a bunch of other teams on the schedule as well as a bunch of better teams than Miami & NY in the AFC alone.
We swept them last year & they went to the AFC championship game while we failed to make the playoffs.
It also does not matter how both teams got that way ... it does not matter who laid down for them & it does not matter thatn we hung with the 2 super bowl teams.
They won when they had to & we could not win 1 of our last 3 very winable games to make the playoffs.
I get it ... the fans hate each other , they will never admit that either team has improved & will critisize any move made no matter what.
But while both teams might be trying to 1 up each other I can still see that even more teams might leap frog them both ... yet again.
So guys ... there is far more on the table , more holes to be filled & more questions to be answered ... is it another successful season if we go 7-9 again while sweeping the Jets?? Beacause most think it was a successful season even after winning the division the year before ...
Getting caught up in all the Miami vs. Jets stuff in an off season might have both teams looking very foolish come December.
I know news is slow now but its still a Dolphin board & nit picking everything the Jets are doing , starting a thread about it & magnifying a mole hill into a mountain about anything negative for them is getting a bit old. Especially if both teams once again are looking up to the Patriots.

Sun May 16, 2010 12:46 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

4-12 and I'm happy so long as those wins are against New York and New England. it'd be nice to beat the Bills, but they've been so sucky I wouldn't feel awful about letting them have a couple.

Sun May 16, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

FINesse wrote:
Guys are losing perspective. It is not about just Miami vs. the Jets. There are a bunch of other teams on the schedule as well as a bunch of better teams than Miami & NY in the AFC alone.

Actually the perspective is right on point in relation to the topic of the thread. And yes, there are actually 31 different teams we can compare but that isn't the topic of this thread.

Sun May 16, 2010 3:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]