View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Dolphins have regrets regarding Patrick Turner 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins have regrets regarding Patrick Turner
This is an article that was written a couple months ago, but it echos what we fans were saying about Sparano's lack of commitment in the development of Turner. When the season was done, he should have gotten some snaps in games.

Quote:
Dolphins have regrets regarding Patrick Turner
by: Omar Kelly March 23rd, 2010 | 4:36 PM

Miami Dolphins coach Tony Sparano admitted he failed one of his receivers last season.

One of the glaring regrets Sparano has about 2009 was the fact he didn’t develop Patrick Turner, the former USC receiver the Dolphins selected in the third-round of last year’s draft, enough to get him into games.

Sparano admitted he was too concerned about game-planning, and special teams duties to find a role for Turner.

“I don’t feel good about that from my end. I did a poor job of that,” Sparano volunteered when talking about last year’s rookie class.

Turner was the only player he talked about in that fashion.

“I should have got him in the game,” he said. ”I should have got him some exposure so I did not do a good job there.”

Turner was active for just two games, and didn’t catch a single pass because he didn’t run a single route. But part of his disappointing rookie season was his fault considering he failed to outperform fellow rookie Briant Hartline, the team’s fourth-round pick, during the exhibition season.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... urner.html

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu May 13, 2010 5:01 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Dolphins have regrets regarding Patrick Turner
I don't see how he makes the squad this year, but who knows?

Thu May 13, 2010 7:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Well if Sparano wishes he saw the field more I think he has a shot... But there are alot of WR's on the roster so spots will be hard to get...

Thu May 13, 2010 8:46 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

It looks like a tuff uphill battle for Turner.....he has to be saying to him self "if they let Ginn (1st round pick) go then I could be next". While some of us say that Ginn needed to go, at least he saw the field and did make some plays. I think Turner just has the pre-season to show something or he is gone by the second cuts.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:24 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think he makes the team. I think the Dolphins will try to get some of that potential of his on the field ... especially during the preseason.

Thu May 13, 2010 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This was one thing that really did piss me off when it came to Sparano last season. It does no good having a kid like that sitting on the bench the ENTIRE season. It hurts more than helps. He did both Turner and the team a disservice by not getting him out there in certain spots.

Thu May 13, 2010 3:17 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

yeah i beleave coach realizes he messed up by not giving TURNER some play time. i beleave TURNER can be a good WR espeacily with his size. but you cant blame it all on soprano cause im sure he had chances to prove himself all of last training camp. hopefully he can prove him self this off season so he gets his chance to prove himself on gameday :yay:

Thu May 13, 2010 3:40 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

To me, Sparano's comments about Turner may be meant for other coaches in the league. He may be trying to get the message out that he under-coached him and some other coach could get the talent from him. All coaches think they can do a better job than the other guy.

Thu May 13, 2010 4:40 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Pat Turner is very much a typical USC offensive player..S-O-F-T...dude has not seen the weight pile since High School.

Whether he makes the roster or not is up to the wonderful Sparano tradition of "competition" RGM, T Johnson, Julius Pruitt, all have bullseyes on Turner's roster slot last season, and Turner not playing ST and not having his #2 pencil and notebook from Day 1 makes him vulnerable imho.

Thu May 13, 2010 7:09 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Or this could really be the smokescreen of the year and telling the rest of the league that this kid may still have value at 6th or 7th. I really think that Turner was one dimensional. He wasn't a polished route runner coming out of college, he didn't possess speed and he had decent hands. The only thing that the regime liked was that he was tall.

Sparano's comment shouldn't be looked at anymore than coach speak.

Thu May 13, 2010 7:15 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

yeah....we "failed" him.....now let's talk him up and show him in action a lot in preseason....and then look to trade him.

Thu May 13, 2010 9:37 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

RotoWorld wrote:
Patrick Turner is not considered a lock to make the Dolphins roster this year. Turner struggled to beat press coverage in practice last year, failing to get off the line of scrimmage. The addition of Brandon Marshall means Turner will be fighting Ryan Grice-Mullen and longshots Taurus Johnson and Julius Pruitt for the final receiver spot.

www.rotoworld.com

Fri May 14, 2010 4:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

FrustratedFinFan wrote:
yeah....we "failed" him.....now let's talk him up and show him in action a lot in preseason....and then look to trade him.

:yay:

Fri May 14, 2010 10:05 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Turner was a the typical USC offensive player from the Pete Carrol era, not in shape, not polished, not a football head.

To me, the real wildcard in all of this is Patrick Crayton, the Cowboys are saddled with Roy Williams and may have to move him, he is a good Wr and solid kick returner.

As for Pat Turner, he needs to hit the weight pile as well as learn from Brandon Marshall how to beat press coverage at the LOS.

Sat May 15, 2010 10:09 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Pretty soon we will get to know if he's worked on becoming a better WR or not........I think the idea was to teach him how to play the position when he was drafted.......so when the OTA's and stuff start we'll see how he does and whether any improvements were made?

I'm hoping he makes some big strides cause it would be great to have a fleet of 6'2 and taller WR's that can run and catch very well.

....by fleet I mean 3.

Sun May 16, 2010 6:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]