View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Sparano loses 55 pounds. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Sparano loses 55 pounds.
The difference between Sparano and Rex Ryan can be summed up with the way they lost weight. Sparano did it with a lot of hard work and Ryan took the short cut.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Sparano said he's lost 55 pounds since the end of last season. He looked trim, with no belly pooch.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... books.html

Quote:
Rex Ryan Issues Weight Loss Challenge --
Mon May 10, 2010 --from FFMastermind.com

AP reports the Rex Ryan weight-loss challenge is on. The husky New York Jets coach, who underwent lap-band surgery two months ago, began a contest Monday with DT Kris Jenkins and OT Damien Woody to see who can lose the most weight by July 30, the day before the team reports for camp in Cortland. Ryan told 1050 ESPN radio and the team's website that the winner will earn a donation to his favorite charity. "I just want to lose one more pound than those two," Ryan told ESPN. Ryan said he has lost about 40 pounds since his procedure and is down to 311, but wants to reach 275. "The guys are going to have fun with it," Ryan told newyorkjets.com. "There's an offensive player, a defensive player and a 47-year-old coach.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: Sparano loses 55 pounds.
Good for Coach.

Take that Rex.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:52 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Our coach sets the example of hard work, determination, portion control (hopefully, lol) and exercise. Rex Ryan says "screw it, i'll get surgery done to get an unfair advantage."

My guess is Rex won't keep things under control because he feels the band will take care of everything, he'll stretch out the band and go back to being Quadruple X Rex

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Honestly, who cares how they lost weight?

Good for Coach Sparano for working hard and losing the weight. Good for Rex Ryan for doing what he felt he needed to do in order to live a healthier lifestyle.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:22 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

MNDolfan wrote:

Good for Coach Sparano for working hard and losing the weight. Good for Rex Ryan for doing what he felt he needed to do in order to live a healthier lifestyle.

Sure it's good for both people. But, doing it the old fashioned way is much healthier. So that throws your health thing out the window. Not only is it healthier.. but more respectable. Takes a lot of hard work and discipline to do that. Shows that Sparano has it and maybe Rex doesn't.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

hypocritex wrote:
MNDolfan wrote:

Sure it's good for both people. But, doing it the old fashioned way is much healthier. So that throws your health thing out the window. Not only is it healthier.. but more respectable. Takes a lot of hard work and discipline to do that. Shows that Sparano has it and maybe Rex doesn't.

Do it however you want, but the strain being put on Rex Ryan's heart, his arteries and his knees is much less because of the procedure he had done. I give him credit for realizing he had a problem, doing something to fix it, and hopefully, for his sake, doing whatever he must to keep he weight off.

Losing weight is a lot easier for some people than it is for others. There are numerous factors involved. Who are we to get on our high horse and tell someone how they can and should lose weight. Will it be easier for Sparano to keep his weight off because of the healthy diet and exercise regimen he has apparently undertaken? Yeah, it will. But if this is what Ryan needed to kickstart a healthier life, then good for him.

Kudos to both for doing what it takes to lose a few pounds.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:44 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

hypocritex wrote:
Takes a lot of hard work and discipline to do that. Shows that Sparano has it and maybe Rex doesn't.

:yay:

I think it is the example of discipline. If you go through any leadership training, one of the first things you learn is to set the example ... that is, walk the walk. Losing weight this way speaks more volumes to his team than taking a short cut.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

00xtremeninja wrote:
Our coach sets the example of hard work, determination, portion control (hopefully, lol) and exercise. Rex Ryan says "screw it, i'll get surgery done to get an unfair advantage."

My guess is Rex won't keep things under control because he feels the band will take care of everything, he'll stretch out the band and go back to being Quadruple X Rex

Those bands don't stretch, I know somebody with one. If you eat too much it has nowhere to go but back out where it came from.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Big Dave wrote:
hypocritex wrote:
Takes a lot of hard work and discipline to do that. Shows that Sparano has it and maybe Rex doesn't.

:yay:

I think it is the example of discipline. If you go through any leadership training, one of the first things you learn is to set the example ... that is, walk the walk. Losing weight this way speaks more volumes to his team than taking a short cut.

I agree Dave.
I have a friend who did this surgery about the same time as ryan and she's only lost 10 or 20 lbs. She hasn't done what the dr. said, so to me, it was a waste of time.
IMO, it's a mind set and pure determination to lose weight or it won't last.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:28 pm

Both coaches better win some games or both coaches will have alot of spare time to get their spare tire back.
Please , we respect Sparano more because he is our head coach. Had he had taken the surgery route we would have found a way to praise him for that.
I know its a slow time but c'mon ... weight loss!!

When I saw the title of this thread I thought we had cut Pat White.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:54 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I suppose I should chime in as I went down this road recently. My weight gain had become problematic and so, after years of trying to shed weight, I had surgery to help the problem out.

First thing you should know is that you can approach the post-op period in two different ways ... you can be disciplined or undisciplined. It is, as another post said, a mindset. The consistency of taking supplements and exercising regularly is key to losing weight most effectively. If you want to just have the surgery and not worry about exercise or what you are eating then you will lose weight slowly and your health is in more danger.

Second thing is that I thought the same thing: it is cheating but in the end, it became a "last resort" to being too far overweight to have the energy to workout properly and requiring more and more food just to satisfy my appetite.

In the end, the surgery became an effective tool not just for losing weight but also for becoming more disciplined in my active lifestyle and controling my appetite. For each person I am sure it is different, but for me that is what has happened. I exercise every day, I eat a very carefully planned diet high in protein and I religiously take supplements my doctor suggested. The proof is in the evidence. I have lost 175 pounds since February and I am getting fitter and more energetic everday.

I hate the Jests and, by association, Rex Ryan ... but on a human level I commend him for taking action and hopefully it will help him develop better discipline as it has for me. For our Head Coach, awesome work as well. We want him to be healthly and ready to go for years to come ... he is a fantastic example to our players.

...Just my 2 cents worth from one who is on that journey!

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:

:)

Fri Jul 30, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

They coach their teams like they lose weight.

One does it with hard work and discipline, and the other keeps adding expecting things to get better.

Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

joeschmoe wrote:
00xtremeninja wrote:

Those bands don't stretch, I know somebody with one. If you eat too much it has nowhere to go but back out where it came from.

dangit, i was thinking gastric bypass

Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:07 pm

diamonddodger wrote:
I have lost 175 pounds since February and I am getting fitter and more energetic everday.

You lost an entire Phins Rock and then some!

Lol, but seriously that's awesome man! Congrats!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:37 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Phins Rock wrote:
diamonddodger wrote:
I have lost 175 pounds since February and I am getting fitter and more energetic everday.

You lost an entire Phins Rock and then some!

Lol, but seriously that's awesome man! Congrats!

Thanks! BTW, to be clear, I didn't have lapband but the gastric bypass so a little different.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:50 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Good for Coach.

Take that Rex.

LOL!

Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:05 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Coach was barely recognizable as he was signing autographs, he looks great.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:20 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

diamonddodger wrote:
I suppose I should chime in as I went down this road recently. My weight gain had become problematic and so, after years of trying to shed weight, I had surgery to help the problem out.

DD, this thread really isn't a put-down for people that decide to have the surgery. Congratulations to you that you saw a weight problem and decided to get yourself healthier. My sister-in-law had weight problems and has been thin and healthy since she had the lap-band operation. I think we would both agree that losing weight through weight-watchers is healthier on the body.

What we have are two coaches that preach discipline to their teams. You and I do not do that on a daily basis and expect others to be disciplined. I think the way that Sparano lost weight shows that he walks the walk. He lost weight through a lot of hard work. Sexy-Rexy took the easier way out that doesn't require as much discipline.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:40 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I did not take it as putdown BD, was just trying to clear up the misconception that there is no discipline involved with post-operative bariatric surgery. Clearly from your comments, I didn't get that point across but hey, that's fine.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:55 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

diamonddodger wrote:
I did not take it as putdown BD, was just trying to clear up the misconception that there is no discipline involved with post-operative bariatric surgery. Clearly from your comments, I didn't get that point across but hey, that's fine.

My wife always tells me that I don't read everything in front of me;)

Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:09 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

FINesse wrote:
Both coaches better win some games or both coaches will have alot of spare time to get their spare tire back.
Please , we respect Sparano more because he is our head coach. Had he had taken the surgery route we would have found a way to praise him for that.
I know its a slow time but c'mon ... weight loss!!

You are always so negative. Jeez.

Either way Sparano would get my respect for losing the weight the old fashion way. Yes it is commendable that both realized there was a problem. We don't know all the facts.. yes. But, likely Sparano did it the right way. The hard way. The disciplined way. I've recently lost a lot of weight myself without surgery (I'm 26) and I can tell you.. it takes a TON of discipline and hard work.

As for outward appearances.. it appears as if Rex took the shortcut. That's all I was saying.

Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]