View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Plenty Of Depth To Incognito As A Player And A Person 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Plenty Of Depth To Incognito As A Player And A Person
Quote:
Two of the of the three big offseason moves made by the Miami Dolphins - trading for wide receiver Brandon Marshall and signing linebacker Karlos Dansby - have garnered plenty of attention. But it’s the other move involving the free agent signing of guard Richie Incognito that might have the most intriguing back story.

There of course is Incognito’s already publicized reputation that has saddled the Arizona native with the label of nasty, out-of-control lineman. Tell that to Ben Bernard, his high school offensive line and strength coach, or Jim Ewen, his high school football coach, and they’ll fill you in on a whole different side to Incognito.

“Richie was a tough kid on the field and a great kid off the field, a great kid,” said Bernard, who still works out with Incognito in the offseason.

“I was a pretty good baseball player and it came down to wanting to lift weights to get bigger for football or kind of lean up and play baseball,” Incognito said. “My choice was football back then in the 10th grade and I stuck with it ever since. There really is no better feeling than pancaking a guy. That’s what drew me to the sport because I love the physical nature of the game. I like to hit people.

“He had a little question and answer thing with a lot of my kids and their parents in regards to college recruiting, in regards to being in the NFL, in regards to lifting in high school and all of those things that high school parents and college parents are curious about,” Bernard said. “Richie sat down or an hour-and-a-half and talked to everybody

His philosophy on the differences between run blocking and pass blocking says the most about what type of player he is going to be under Sparano.

“They’re both equally as important,” said Incognito, who was a third-round draft choice of the St. Louis Rams in 2005 and spent the last three weeks of last season with the Buffalo Bills. “You’ve got to open up those holes for the running backs but you’ve got to keep your quarterback protected in this league. That’s the number one thing. If you’ve got a quarterback back there that’s getting hit all the time it makes his job very hard. … The guys who have success in this league are able to do the small details very well play in and play out, and that’s what makes a good offensive lineman, the details each and every play.”

http://www.miamidolphins.com/news/plent ... and-person

Thu May 06, 2010 10:02 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Plenty Of Depth To Incognito As A Player And A Person
Just produce on the field like he did in St.Louis, and keep his nose clean of the field that's all I ask of any player.

Thu May 06, 2010 1:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If I had to guess they are going to throw Incognito next to Jake Long this year. Jake is a big nasty lineman in his own right. When you pair those two up, they are going to be a couple of straight up maulers in the run game. Ricky and Ronnie can sit back and follow these guys tracks all year long.
:stiffarm:

Thu May 06, 2010 10:52 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

How ever you line them all up, I have to say we have a pretty intense O-Line... Guess there isnt any question as to how much say so Sparano has on what players we get... :stiffarm:

Fri May 07, 2010 3:24 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Right now we have great depth except maybe at tackle? Thats my opinion..the starting lineup of the pukejets might be better overall, though

Fri May 07, 2010 9:29 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I honestly think Incognito will be an upgrade over Smiley. He's younger, stronger, and doesn't come with all of the baggage Smiley does. Bottom line, he's healthy and that makes him a better player for us right now. Hopefully he won't get us penalized too much.
As for the other guard spot, I think the rookie Jerry will come in and win that battle in camp. The kid is huge and will fit perfectly next to Vernon Carey. That combo will make our right side absolutely huge. You're talking about over 700lbs of human being between the two of them when they put the pads on. I think we're going to be able to run to the right all day long!
:grin:

Fri May 07, 2010 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]