PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:20 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Quote:
John Moffitt unretires after nearly two years

Posted by Mike Florio on June 17, 2015, 11:38 AM EDT
John Moffitt
AP
In 2013, guard John Moffitt abruptly retired from the NFL. In 2015, he’s coming back.

As noted by Jay Glazer of FOX Sports, Moffitt has unretired.

“[H]e knew he had drug issues, took time to go to rehab, clean up his life, beat his demons and he has taken his life back,” Glazer said via Twitter.

Glazer has been training Moffitt for the past three months. Former NFL linemen Steve Hutchinson, Shaun O’Hara, and Jackie Slater also have been working with Moffitt, who currently weighs 307 pounds, as he embarks on a return to the game.

Traded from the Seahawks to the Broncos in 2013 after a potential deal to the Browns didn’t go through due ostensibly to a failed physical (Moffitt claimed at the time that the decision came after he refused to take a pay cut), Moffitt retired in November. He claimed he simply wasn’t happy, but drugs apparently were a factor.

In March 2014, Moffit was charged with assault and possession of marijuana, cocaine, and ecstasy. Prior to that, Moffitt pleaded guilty to misdemeanor disorderly conduct after being twice accused of urinating in public and once accused of criminal trespass.

The Broncos, per Glazer, will release Moffitt in lieu of reinstating him to the active roster. Because he had fewer than four years of service when he retired, Moffitt will now pass through waivers. If unclaimed, he’ll become a free agent.

Glazer believes that Moffitt will become a starting guard again, once teams realize he has addressed his off-field issues and he is committed to playing.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... two-years/

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Probably not a better team in the league for him to get a shot at starting, if he's really out to prove himself, and not just out to fill his bank account again then Miami would seem to be a very desirable place for him.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:55 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Not sure South Beach is the place for a guy trying to kick his drug habit. As football player he's known as a mauler, effective in run blocking, but slow on his feet, making his pass blocking questionable.

This guy doesn't qualify as a "high quality guy" and his abilities don't support a zone blocking scheme.....................I say pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:11 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Troubled NFL Guards are our specialty

:yay:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:36 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

shularino wrote:
Not sure South Beach is the place for a guy trying to kick his drug habit. As football player he's known as a mauler, effective in run blocking, but slow on his feet, making his pass blocking questionable.

This guy doesn't qualify as a "high quality guy" and his abilities don't support a zone blocking scheme.....................I say pass.

What city can he go to where drugs do not exist?

People always bring up the South Beach angle. People are not hanging out on South Beach injecting themselves or snorting their brains out anymore than they are anywhere else in the country.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:53 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

People always bring up the South Beach angle. People are not hanging out on South Beach injecting themselves or snorting their brains out anymore than they are anywhere else in the country.

The guy played for Seattle and Denver, yet was arrested in Chicago.. Im with Rich on this one..

Also, South Florida is actually a great place for people in recovery, there are 12 step meetings around the clock all over the tri county area..

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:20 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:32 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

While every city has drugs, Green Bay, Wisconsin is not the stereotypical big metro city that offers a ton of temptation for these types of things.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:47 pm 

00xtremeninja wrote:
Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

While every city has drugs, Green Bay, Wisconsin is not the stereotypical big metro city that offers a ton of temptation for these types of things.

A lot of "smaller" towns etc in the midwest have larger crystal meth issues than the big cities as a rate per person. Crystal meth is a popular heartland/smaller town drug.

Not coincidentally, crystal meth may also be the worst of the bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:54 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Scheme Fit or not? Is he a serviceable upgrade over Turner/Douglas/Thomas?

Thats all i care about.... At this point we are a RG away from a deep playoff run. For god's sake, sign a F$()(KING guard already!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 3:59 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

A lot of "smaller" towns etc in the midwest have larger crystal meth issues than the big cities as a rate per person. Crystal meth is a popular heartland/smaller town drug.

Not coincidentally, crystal meth may also be the worst of the bunch.

while true, I think the biggest issue in Green Bay is their ridiculously low prices on beer and alcohol! While those of us from the state don't view it as an issue, but more of a luxury, hahahaha

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:04 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

2 years out of the league with a drug problem.....why not? LOL!!! You guys kill me...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:19 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

00xtreme,

Dude, your domestic beers are LOCAL beers too in Wisconsin!! LOL. Of course they will be dirt cheap, your miles away from Miller....

Same could be said about Colorado, and Missouri..... With NJ holding the Amheiser-Busch #2 volume brewery in Newark, we get Budweiser products significantly cheaper than neighboring states.... They try to say NJ is bud country, but its actually Miller country based on sales...

either way... its DEFINITELY NOT an issue.... more so of a convenience for being in the middle of nowhere USA... LOL

Also, If I am not mistaken, Wisconsin also has a lower tariff on international alcohol sales, and most of the Wisconsin distributors are based out of Canada...So liquors should be slightly cheaper overall as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:48 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

If we were not so hard up for a Olineman I'd say pass. The whole recent drug issues with Dion Jordan have me sour on pro athletes who are looking for second chances.

But that said, if they can get him for league min. And he's healthy, why the hell not? The risk is worth the reward for us.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 4:51 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

00xtremeninja wrote:
Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

Thanks.............this was my point. My original post was not meant to be a slap against South Florida............I'm not a big city guy, but if I were to relocate to a large metropolis area........Miami, would be first on my list.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:56 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

SkyHigh314 wrote:
For god's sake, sign a F$()(KING guard already!

^^^
This. :yay:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:51 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

MiamiMenace wrote:
If we were not so hard up for a Olineman I'd say pass. The whole recent drug issues with Dion Jordan have me sour on pro athletes who are looking for second chances.

But that said, if they can get him for league min. And he's healthy, why the hell not? The risk is worth the reward for us.

Exactly. We dont even have 1 proven starting guard on the roster. Who are we to pass up any opportunity to find one.

Last edited by swerve13 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:17 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Jeff linkenbach is proven. Started 36 games. Proven average but at least proven.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:35 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Thats not the proven Im looking for. We need 2 quality guards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:09 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Wednesdays

swerve13 wrote:
Thats not the proven Im looking for. We need 2 quality guards.

We're not likely to get better than average at this point. Anybody still available in free agency with the exception of Mathis is no better than average, or they wouldn't be available. And Mathis is looking for more of a commitment than I believe the team is willing to make with his age. If we can get above average play from one of the guys on the roster now at one guard spot, then we will be well to get average play from whomever is at the other spot. That just seems the most realistic viewpoint now.

If we are surprised by an acorn falling into our lap at cut-downs, or somebody exceeding expectations from our roster, then awesome. But odds are good that at least one of the guard spots will be a weak spot for us all season. Average will do just fine if everything else on the offense shapes up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:19 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Not sure when the offensive lines win championships idea started, but plenty of teams work around these issues and win... NE and Indy played for the AFC title, neither were above average on the o-line.

We have a QB, we have a RB, they revamped the WR's and added a true TE. Not to mention we should be a top defense..
This team is ready, I think some are just gun shy and afraid to be hopeful..

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:27 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
2 years out of the league with a drug problem.....why not? LOL!!! You guys kill me...

I hope he isn't coming back because he is out of drug money. That's a lot of rust he has to overcome. I'd bring him in to compete, but I am a bit skeptical.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:27 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

10acjed wrote:
Not sure when the offensive lines win championships idea started, but plenty of teams work around these issues and win... NE and Indy played for the AFC title, neither were above average on the o-line.

We have a QB, we have a RB, they revamped the WR's and added a true TE. Not to mention we should be a top defense..

I agree on the Colts, but NE has a good Oline, and I do agree you can work around a poor Oline, but you need an elite QB to do it, and I'm not sure your ever going to win the SB with a bad Oline.

Rodgers and luck have worked around it, but they're elite, and while Tanne has continued to progress he isn't elite, and I'm not sure he ever will be, even if he does become a serviceable franchise QB.

If you look at the greatest teams in history though, they all had great Olines, and that Oline leads to longevity of winning.

If you have a good Oline and a good Dline you always have a chance, even with below average QB play.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:55 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Big Dave wrote:
Makchell wrote:

I hope he isn't coming back because he is out of drug money. That's a lot of rust he has to overcome. I'd bring him in to compete, but I am a bit skeptical.

Incognito was out for a long time and looks good again in Buffalo. Moffitt is a talented kid that Seattle spent the 75th pick on, a pretty high pick for a team that knows talent.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:56 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Finster wrote:
10acjed wrote:

I agree on the Colts, but NE has a good Oline, and I do agree you can work around a poor Oline, but you need an elite QB to do it, and I'm not sure your ever going to win the SB with a bad Oline.

Rodgers and luck have worked around it, but they're elite, and while Tanne has continued to progress he isn't elite, and I'm not sure he ever will be, even if he does become a serviceable franchise QB.

If you look at the greatest teams in history though, they all had great Olines, and that Oline leads to longevity of winning.

If you have a good Oline and a good Dline you always have a chance, even with below average QB play.

Great post Finster.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:58 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Finster wrote:

Statistically speaking they were mid pack for 2014 rankings. Indy was a bit worse. NE is a perfect example of what it takes to win with less. Its a lot about scheme and knowing your players strengths in order to put them in positions to suceed..

Now while I do see a difference in Lazor's offense, Joe is still the boss and he expects his guys to line up and beat your guys.. That just wont work.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:08 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is from NFLTradeRumors.com.

Former Broncos G John Moffitt cleared waivers on Thursday and is now free to sign with a team of his choosing.

Denver granted Moffitt his release on Wednesday after he decided to unretire from the NFL.

Ross Jones of FOX Sports expects the Eagles, Dolphins, Buccaneers, Jets and Texans to show “strong interest” in Moffitt.

The offensive line market isn’t very deep, even though Pro Bowler Evan Mathis is currently available, so it really wouldn’t be all that surprising to see him get at least an opportunity compete for a roster in training camp.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:14 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I would want him even as a backup on my team if I already had a good line. Its the veteran minimum.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:45 pm 
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Its a no brainer at league Min if he's healthy and his mind is in the right place......But I'd like to see Mathis on the rooster as well. Lets give Tanny a shot at elite.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:00 am 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

MiamiMenace wrote:
Its a no brainer at league Min if he's healthy and his mind is in the right place......But I'd like to see Mathis on the rooster as well. Lets give Tanny a shot at elite.

Totally agree. Good to see smart new members. Lol.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 12:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Soooooo the offensive line market is shallow and this guy passes thru waivers without a sniff?

Ya, tells me almost all I need to know.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:25 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Soooooo the offensive line market is shallow and this guy passes thru waivers without a sniff?

I thought the same thing. I'm curious and not trying to be smart with this question. What would have been the down side to Miami requesting him through waivers? Would they have to honor his previous contract?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:14 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:

Yeah man, I would say bring him to kick the tires and see how he competes without any lofty expectations. I only say try it with Moffitt because as it stands I would rather call an out of shape old Keith Sims out of retirement to play ahead of Dallas Thomas. The mere fact that he is still even on the darn roster is beyond me.

Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]