View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 A focus on the still lingering free safety question 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post A focus on the still lingering free safety question
Quote:

Free safety is a position that begs our attention because there are so many things going on. First, you should recognize there are "acorns," as general manager Jeff Ireland calls them, still out there that could be picked up and added to the roster.

Free agent safety Darren Sharper is not one of those guys. Sharper has two contract offers that he's considering -- one from New Orleans, one from Jacksonville. The Dolphins were not in the mix as of this morning and you should not expect them to get in the mix.

There is the possibility the Dolphins might be planning to do something with O.J. Atogwe after June 1

That means Chris Clemons, Tyrone Culver, and Reshad Jones are on notice

My feeling? Miami's 2010 starting free safety is not currently on the roster. Everything the Dolphins have done this offseason -- cut Gibril Wilson, chased Antrel Rolle and Ryan Clark, drafted Jones while seriously considering Earl Thomas -- suggests the Dolphins want to upgrade beyond Clemons and Culver.

No knock on either, those are just the facts.

Jones, by the way, is interesting in that he was all the rage during rookie camp.

"I felt him in the last couple of days," coach Tony Sparano said of Jones on the final day of the rookie camp

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0mtRFRJGs

Mon May 03, 2010 12:09 pm
Phinfever Draft Guru/Radio Host

Post Re: A focus on the still lingering free safety question
The only other option out there would be O.J Atogwe, the FS from St. Louis. We will not know anything on that until June 1.

Otherwise the starter is coming from Culver, Clemons and Jones. My money is on Reshad Jones.

Mon May 03, 2010 9:58 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

I clicked on the NFL replay of Miami - NO, and it was just in time to see Clemmons & Culver getting beat for a TD...

Tue May 04, 2010 3:56 am

10acjed wrote:
I clicked on the NFL replay of Miami - NO, and it was just in time to see Clemmons & Culver getting beat for a TD...

Yeah, I got home from work yesterday and turned on the TV and the replay of that game was on...... :angry:

Tue May 04, 2010 6:20 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Yea it was probably the worst game of the season to chalk up.

This is why bringing Marshall to our team made us real contenders. In the 4th quarter alone Tedd Ginn dropped a 1st down, Anthony Fasano dropped a huge 1st down thrown from Ronnie Brown, and Ricky Williams also dropped a pass. These were all easy catches! They also screwed us on the Camarillo play where he was trying to go out of bounds. I know the defense killed us at times but our offense also killed us at the end.

By adding Marshall we have a team that can come back from behind late in games.

Tue May 04, 2010 9:22 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

It is sickening, I never felt more defeated than after that game. I felt it coming going into halftime. They should never have had that Drew Brees touchdown sneak, their player was tackled short of the goal line with 2 seconds left and no timeouts, the half should have been over, instead they review and confirm he is short but allow the Saints to run a play. A lot of pent up frustration from that game haha. :runwiththeball:

Tue May 04, 2010 9:58 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
The only other option out there would be O.J Atogwe, the FS from St. Louis. We will not know anything on that until June 1.

Otherwise the starter is coming from Culver, Clemons and Jones. My money is on Reshad Jones.

I've got mine on Clemons. I'd bet Jones comes in for Bell on passing situations, or at the very least into a three deep safety formation.

Tue May 04, 2010 10:55 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I agree Iowafin, I think Clemons is the man this year. It's unfair to immediately assume that Clemons isn't the long term answer at free safety because he struggled a little last season. He was a rookie and for him to step in a do a decent job is admirable. When you have to come in as a rookie free safety and try to backup two rookie cornerbacks, thats a heck of a task. Remember, he was supposed to be the backup to Gibril Wilson, not the starter. I think many forget that Sparano and others were gushing about this kid last season much in the same ways they are gushing about Reshad Jones now. I think Clemons will step in this year and win the starting job in camp. Now that Vontae Davis and Sean Smith are a little more experienced and Will Allen is returning, I think our free safety position will be able to benefit from our improved coverage. Hopefully they will translate that into big plays. I expect good things from Chris Clemons this season and I'm not buying all of the Atogwe hype.
:grin:

Tue May 04, 2010 12:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]