View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Sparano: On Fasano and Haynos 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Sparano: On Fasano and Haynos
Quote:
(On if what he got from Anthony Fasano and Joey Haynos last year was enough)

“I think the usage can be a little bit different, but I think that we certainly got our worth out of both players last year.

The job descriptions are different. When you break down the job descriptions and you look at the end of the year, and you see that Anthony Fasano is asked to pass protect 139 reps this year, and then you guys wanting to know why he’s not getting the ball. Well he was asked to pass protect 139 reps and that’s a part of the game as well.

So, the job descriptions we’re a little bit different. Joey Haynos played 564 plays I believe last year. Different positions all across the board. When Fasano was out he had to play wide, when Fasano was back, he was playing F. In our two tight end package he played Z. So, some of those types of things, when you look at what they did, I think the usage may be something that we can improve on.

Meaning, how we can get them involved a little bit more, but, not disappointed at all in what they did. As a team we need to do it all better, but, I think when you bring a player like a Brandon Marshall on your football team, it gives a few people around them a few more opportunities.”

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0mnC1bvph

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun May 02, 2010 10:32 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Sparano: On Fasano and Haynos
He should run for office...

I am supposed to believe he forgot all those dropped balls by Fasano?

Sun May 02, 2010 10:40 am

10acjed wrote:

"All those dropped balls"- I don't think it was that many, I just think they came at bad times....

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/lead ... =232&year=

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Sun May 02, 2010 10:45 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Fasano needs to have a bounce back year, no question about it. He was a very good TE for Miami in 2008 and took a step back in 2009. Also, if Miami resigns David Martin as has been mentioned, that would be nice, as he is that TE that can stretch the field.

Sun May 02, 2010 10:48 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

The Hen wrote:
10acjed wrote:

"All those dropped balls"- I don't think it was that many, I just think they came at bad times....

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/lead ... =232&year=

It was enough to make me think of it. And 2 fumbles... If his purpose is to block etc, then he should at least catch it when thrown to him...

He needs to step it back up to where he was in 08 if you ask me...

Sun May 02, 2010 11:45 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Fasano still has the ability to be an effective pass-catching TE int his league. Haynos? Not so much.

Sun May 02, 2010 1:49 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I'm wondering if the "usage" of the TE's will change with Marshall on the team now?

Sparano mentioned that Fasano had a lot of blocking assignments last season.........kinda hinting that he blocked more in 2009 than he did in 2008? not sure if this is true or not as I have no way of finding out myself.

With Marshall on the team will the TE's be used more for blocking in 2010 than in 2009, or will they be running more routes?

Sun May 02, 2010 7:25 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think Fasano caught a lot more passes in 2008 because of the quality of how poor our wideouts were and because Chad Pennington was our QB. We all know that Pennington is extremely effective in the short to medium range. A guy like Fasano is a nice big target for someone like Pennington when the receivers don't get open. I think the biggest factor is who was throwing the ball. Bottom line, Henne was learning last year and he probably didn't get through his progressions quick enough to find Fasano a lot. That and Henne was probably looking down the field for Ted Ginn Jr. more often because he has the arm strength to hit Ginn on a 50 yard deep ball. I think that's the reason Fasano had a down year. Now that we've got Brandon Marshall, I expect Henne to look Fasano's way even less. Fasano is a great TE that is best used as a blocker that occasionally runs a route here and there.

Sun May 02, 2010 11:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
I think Fasano caught a lot more passes in 2008 because of the quality of how poor our wideouts were and because Chad Pennington was our QB. We all know that Pennington is extremely effective in the short to medium range. A guy like Fasano is a nice big target for someone like Pennington when the receivers don't get open. I think the biggest factor is who was throwing the ball. Bottom line, Henne was learning last year and he probably didn't get through his progressions quick enough to find Fasano a lot. That and Henne was probably looking down the field for Ted Ginn Jr. more often because he has the arm strength to hit Ginn on a 50 yard deep ball. I think that's the reason Fasano had a down year. Now that we've got Brandon Marshall, I expect Henne to look Fasano's way even less. Fasano is a great TE that is best used as a blocker that occasionally runs a route here and there.

If Fasano is any good at all at running routes, he should get a lot more opportunities because due diligence will have to be paid to Marshall.

Mon May 03, 2010 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

i think the addition of Brandon Marshall will open everything up for miami offensively. Ronnie has to stay healthy though this season for anything to be possible and to help the very young defense that will be starting every game next year. Henne needs to continue to progress into a quality starter as well. i am hopeful for this season but everything has to come in fruition for any success to be possible.

Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

RaoulDuke wrote:
i think the addition of Brandon Marshall will open everything up for miami offensively.

Agreed. He will almost always have one safety shaded to him, and that opens up the seam for the TE. I think Haynos will become the main TE threat as the season goes on. He came in raw, and now has two years in this offense under his belt and this offseason to work on his footwork.

Mon May 03, 2010 11:13 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Iowafin wrote:
RaoulDuke wrote:
i think the addition of Brandon Marshall will open everything up for miami offensively.

Agreed. He will almost always have one safety shaded to him, and that opens up the seam for the TE. I think Haynos will become the main TE threat as the season goes on. He came in raw, and now has two years in this offense under his belt and this offseason to work on his footwork.

I really hope so, the guy is HUGE. Haynos needs to develop into that go to TE in the redzone with that type of size

Mon May 03, 2010 12:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finsfansc: Where did you read an article that indicated Miami might be trying to resign tight end David Martin? I have not seen that anywhere. I personally liked David Martin and thought he was a good supplement with Fasano. I am just curious where that comment came from?

Mon May 03, 2010 4:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]