View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Dolphins - A new draft philosophy 
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Post Dolphins - A new draft philosophy
I saw this article on my phone the other day and thought it was good.

Quote:
Two signs hung in the Dolphins’ draft room last week. The first:

“For the next three days, we are going to draft prototypical players that play football well in their pads on the football field.”

My translation: The Dolphins were not going to fall in love with combine players or anyone who had a great workout. They wanted to focus on football players and not let a 40 time or individual workout alter their thought process. They made it a point to have their draft board completely graded before they went to the Indy combine. They weren’t going to be swayed by workout warriors, and they were going to make sure they stayed true to their philosophical beliefs. Those beliefs are centered on size and speed football players — but the speed is functional football speed.

The rest of the article is here.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-morning-news-A-new-draft-philosophy.html&team=91

Two-thirds of the earth is covered by water. The rest is covered by Vontae Davis.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:36 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Post Re: Dolphins - A new draft philosophy
Thanks Lokki.. This is a good read... It seems like a good philosophy in drafting players... I am sure many can run fast without blocker & pads and nobody chasing them...

Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:22 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Thats how I feel to...if he makes plays in pads when it counts, who cares about the other stuff. The game is played on the field, not in the gym.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:35 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I think the combines and pro days tell coaches a lot about these players...but the problem is some teams (coughtheraiderscough) put too much stock into it. I'm glad that our own FO focuses on getting pure football players instead of pure athletes.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:38 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think the merely gives you some measurables, it doesn't prove how a player performs on the field. Too some extent it helps kids from smaller skills to get recognized for the physical talents. I agree with the approach of weighting your draft on how they perform on the field. Too much stock is put in the combine in my opinion.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]