View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ireland’s, Dolphins’ arrogance unacceptable 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Ireland’s, Dolphins’ arrogance unacceptable
Quote:
On the second day of 2008, Jeff Ireland got the type of big-time NFL gig he’d always wanted, leaving the Dallas Cowboys’ personnel department to serve under football czar Bill Parcells as the Miami Dolphins’ general manager.

“We might pop a bottle of champagne!” Ireland’s elated mother, Sandi Holub, told The Miami Herald’s Jeff Darlington upon learning of the hiring. Holub explained that Ireland, the grandson of longtime Chicago Bears personnel guru Jim Parmer (and the stepson of E.J. Holub, a Pro Football Hall of Fame linebacker/center), had yearned for such an opportunity from a young age.

I wonder how Sandi would feel about the story I’m about to share, one which simultaneously illustrates the Dolphins’ organizational arrogance and the NFL’s complete disconnect from society when it comes to such things as respect, decorum and class.

In fairness to Ireland, the Dolphins’ habitually brusque treatment of their current and prospective players is purely a Parcells production. Unfortunately for the general manager, he’s about to be unmasked as an A-list A-hole.

Last Wednesday, the night before he was selected 24th overall by the Cowboys, former Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant(notes) told me that during one of his predraft visits, a high-level executive of one NFL franchise had asked him if his mother, Angela, was a prostitute.

“No, my mom is not a prostitute,” said Bryant, whose background – including his mother’s lifestyle and past legal troubles – was under great scrutiny prior to the draft. “I got mad – really mad – but I didn’t show it.”

I’ve since been told by a source close to Bryant that Ireland was the person who asked the question during a meeting in the GM’s office. On Monday, Ireland declined to comment on the allegation. Harvey Greene, the Dolphins’ senior vice president of media relations, said: “It’s our organizational policy that we don’t discuss publicly the process we use to evaluate potential draft choices.”

That’s a wise idea given the demeaning, offensive and possibly actionable evaluation process that was used to assess Bryant’s fitness to catch passes for Miami, a franchise that apparently holds nothing sacred in such contexts.

“I don’t care who you are or who you’re talking to – that kind of question usually gets your [expletive] teeth kicked in,” says former NFL lineman Kyle Turley(notes). “I mean, where do these people come from? That’s just completely [expletive] classless and totally unprofessional.”

I’ve been covering the NFL for more than 20 years, and when I think back to the best, most passionate players I’ve encountered during that time, I’m convinced that a high percentage of them would have had Ireland up against the wall by his collar in that situation, or at least have been very close to doing so. Ronnie Lott, Ray Lewis(notes), John Elway, Junior Seau(notes), Michael Strahan(notes) and Warren Sapp(notes) come to mind.

“They’re trying to break people down in ways they’ve never been broken before, to see if a kid will snap,” Sapp says. “They know exactly what they’re saying, and it’s a darn shame we’re still at this point.”

In March, free safety Ryan Clark(notes) – one of Miami’s top targets in free agency – paid a visit to South Florida, dining with head coach Tony Sparano and spending the following day meeting with various officials at the team’s facility. Clark, who’d spent the previous four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers, told the Herald’s Darlington upon his arrival in South Florida that he didn’t want to leave without a contract, saying: “I’m praying it goes well.”

It didn’t. A few hours before a scheduled dinner with Dolphins assistant head coach/secondary coach Todd Bowles, Clark called an audible, heading for the airport to catch an earlier flight and telling his agent, Joel Turner, he wanted to re-sign with Pittsburgh. After inking a four-year deal with the Steelers, Clark didn’t offer up many specifics, and Turner didn’t reveal the impetus for Clark’s action, either. The agent portrayed staying in Pittsburgh as a family lifestyle choice, insisting, “Honest to God, it wasn’t about the money.”

That may not be completely true – it’s possible Clark wanted to remain with the Steelers all along and used the Dolphins for leverage. Perhaps he felt a sudden wave of attachment to Pittsburgh and rushed back to make sure he was still wanted in Steeltown.

Or maybe he paid a visit to Ireland’s office and got the Dez Bryant treatment ....

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=m ... sday042710

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Ireland’s, Dolphins’ arrogance unacceptable
If that's true, that's too bad... That question is way, way out of bounds and I wish Dez Bryant would have kicked the crap out of Ireland for saying that.

That said, Ireland has a job to do. If he feels that's a part of his job, then I guess you have to do what you gotta do. I don't agree with it, and I think it's something that comes back to haunt us with potential free agents and draft picks in the future.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:35 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I don't know if any of this is true, but what I do know is that I have to always be careful of what I read or hear from the media when it comes to Parcells and Co. They do not get any information and are not treated with the best of respect from them.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:24 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Quote:
On Thursday, Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant was selected 24th in the NFL Draft by the Dallas Cowboys. Two days before, the Dallas Morning News profiled the Cowboys draft target and focused on Bryant's troubled family life and relationship with his mother Angela, who had Dez when she was only 15 years old and later came out as lesbian.

The Cowboys' draftee has become "comfortable" with his mom's "change in sexual in sexual orientation" —originally published as 'sexual preference"—but "still" doesn't "like it":

http://rodonline.typepad.com/rodonline/2010/04/cowboys-draftee-dez-bryant-doesnt-like-his-mothers-sexual-orientation.html

I am betting there is more to the story than Jeff Ireland asking a kid if his mother is a prostitute... Ireland has been working around college recruits his whole career...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

IF ITS TRUE??????? maybe its time that front office personnel were held to the same standards the players are accountable to,no human being should be subjected to that in order to get a job

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:35 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

The speculation about why Clark left and resigned with Pittsburgh really discredits the article. I think its ridiculous to try to put these two issues together in the same context; talk about a monumental reach. That's irresponsible journalism right there.
As for Ireland's comment, IF it were true, that's outrageous and totally out of line. Something tells me the whole truth has not come out yet.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I think there more to this story than meets the eye. I agree with Phin that IF Jeff Ireland made those comments, they were way out of line.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:19 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I don't care for Ireland because he's really a puppet of Bill Parcells. In any case, I think the question is totally fair game. If I am you paying six figures every year then I have the right. I need to know that you aren't going to get suspended because Joey Porter called your mama a ho.....The NFL is full of trash talkers and if he can't handle it from a middle aged wanna be kicker then he shouldn't be on this team.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:27 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Apparently Jeff Ireland acknowldeged that he did ask Dez Bryant if he mom was a prostitute and has apologized to Dez. It's in Armando Saluguero blog on the Miami Herald site.

I know you have to ask questions when go thru this process, but that is a little to much for my taste.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:30 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

I can see where asking this type of question could tell you a good bit more about a persons attitude, and or his capability of handling certain situations. If another team mate, or if someone else of the like were to ask him the question in the locker room, is he going to blow up, and "kick his teeth down his throat", because yeah, that's what we want in the locker room. For that reason alone, I have no problem with the question.

But IF it is true, Ireland is suppose to be held to some type of higher standard? The NFL coaches / gm's openly admit they lie, all the time, especially leading up to the draft etc. They said it 20 times over the draft weekend, so what make anyone think they wouldn't ask a question like this? They lie, use tactics, throw stuff in peoples face all the time....

And seriously... come on, my little cousins run around saying worse stuff to each other on a daily basis than this. And they are in grade school.... wha wha, that big mean ol' GM asked if my mom was a hooker, wha wha wha... heck I've seen some of you call each other worse things, and asked / stated worse things than this... lol

Oh, but this is the new NFL that has transformed to what we see today... don't ask if their mom was a hooker, don't be drinkin' in public boys, don't be going out to party, let's not hurt the 20 year olds feelings that will be making mulit-million dollars per year. Hell back in the day I would be willing to bet that 3/4 of the guys on the team were drunk by half time and the coaches wouldn't ask if you mom was a hooker, he'd tell you she was.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:10 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Coots wrote:
I can see where asking this type of question could tell you a good bit more about a persons attitude, and or his capability of handling certain situations. If another team mate, or if someone else of the like were to ask him the question in the locker room, is he going to blow up, and "kick his teeth down his throat", because yeah, that's what we want in the locker room. For that reason alone, I have no problem with the question.

But IF it is true, Ireland is suppose to be held to some type of higher standard? The NFL coaches / gm's openly admit they lie, all the time, especially leading up to the draft etc. They said it 20 times over the draft weekend, so what make anyone think they wouldn't ask a question like this? They lie, use tactics, throw stuff in peoples face all the time....

And seriously... come on, my little cousins run around saying worse stuff to each other on a daily basis than this. And they are in grade school.... wha wha, that big mean ol' GM asked if my mom was a hooker, wha wha wha... heck I've seen some of you call each other worse things, and asked / stated worse things than this... lol

Oh, but this is the new NFL that has transformed to what we see today... don't ask if their mom was a hooker, don't be drinkin' in public boys, don't be going out to party, let's not hurt the 20 year olds feelings that will be making mulit-million dollars per year. Hell back in the day I would be willing to bet that 3/4 of the guys on the team were drunk by half time and the coaches wouldn't ask if you mom was a hooker, he'd tell you she was.

I have to agree with you. It's part of the process and I'm sure that Ireland meant no sort of disrespect to Dez or his mother. GMs and coaches ask all sort of ridiculous and personal questions to judge the qualities of a player, and this one seems to have some sort of a background that may warrant it. It comes off as sounding harsh and disrespectful, but I'm sure it wasn't meant that way.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:13 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Just out of curiosity what type of questions do you think they asked Big Ben before his draft? :embarrassed: I really would like to see what kind of grade they gave him after the whole interview process. If it's higher then dumb or dumber I would really be surprised.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:35 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

joeschmoe wrote:
Coots wrote:

I have to agree with you. It's part of the process and I'm sure that Ireland meant no sort of disrespect to Dez or his mother. GMs and coaches ask all sort of ridiculous and personal questions to judge the qualities of a player, and this one seems to have some sort of a background that may warrant it. It comes off as sounding harsh and disrespectful, but I'm sure it wasn't meant that way.

Joe, I can understand why the question was asked. Dez Bryant mom sold drugs and went to jail for it. She probably was using as well and we know when folks get hooked, they do what ever they have to do and women will resort to prostitution.

I think the kid obviously showed his mental makeup because he did not blow up at the question. I personally think this kid was ripped up for no reason and a lot of stuff was made up on this kid. There were issues that needed to be addressed, but things went overboard with this kid.

That said, Jeff did what he thought he had to do, but it got out and there are ramifications. It now on the internet article and was addressed by Jeff and PTI discussed the article this afternoon.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:41 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

Even if they do win us a Championship... I'll still be upset about the handling of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor... you just don't treat a team's icons like that...

Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

IamPZ wrote:
Even if they do win us a Championship... I'll still be upset about the handling of Zach Thomas and Jason Taylor... you just don't treat a team's icons like that...

You mean like the Colts did with Marvin Harrison and Edjerrin James? Or Green Bay and Brett Favre? Or Pitt with Joey Porter? Or New England with Drew Bledsoe? Or Tennessee every year with seemingly every player?

I don't know how they "treated" them, because I wasn't there, but teams let their icons walk all the time.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:16 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Phin wrote:
The speculation about why Clark left and resigned with Pittsburgh really discredits the article. I think its ridiculous to try to put these two issues together in the same context; talk about a monumental reach. That's irresponsible journalism right there.
As for Ireland's comment, IF it were true, that's outrageous and totally out of line. Something tells me the whole truth has not come out yet.

That is exactly what I thought after reading this article. In the middle it also kind of stuck the G-string question with the Dolphins as well, although previously mentioning it was the Bucs that said it.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:33 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Quote:
by Edgar Thompson

Dolphins’ general manager Jeff Ireland admits his need to know everything he can about potential draft picks went too far.

Ireland has apologized for asking wide receiver Dez Bryant during a pre-draft interview if his mother had even been a prostitute.

Bryant’s troubled upbringing, including his mother’s past legal troubles, was a major concern of teams.

Ireland’s misstep was reported Tuesday by Michael Silver of Yahoo Sports.

Ireland reached out to Bryant to apologize and has issued a statement through the team.

“My job is to find out as much information as possible about a player that I’m consider drafting,” Ireland said. “Sometimes that leads to asking in-depth questions

“Having said that, I talked to Dez Bryant and told him I used poor judgment in one of the questions I asked him. I certainly meant no disrespect and apologized to him.

“I appreciate his acceptance of that apology and I told him I wished him well as he embarks on his NFL career.”

Bryant, the first wide receiver selected in the NFL draft, met with the Dolphins on April 1-2.

posting.php?mode=reply&f=2&t=1238

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:41 pm
Profile YIM
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well there we have it, straight from the horses' (err jack ass') mouth.
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/ne ... id=5140313
I know where he was going with the question, but honestly, haven't they heard of a little thing called tact? There are better ways to address these issues, assuming they have relevance at all.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:56 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

He shouldn't have asked the question.

He applogized and man'd up to it. He did the right thing in the aftermath.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

What's the big deal? He should be honored that he was asked whether his mom belonged to the oldest profession on Earth.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ditka ripped into Ireland today on LeBatard's show

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Rich wrote:
What's the big deal? He should be honored that he was asked whether his mom belonged to the oldest profession on Earth.

See.... now that's the spirit!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:20 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Flipper wrote:

He apologized due to the PR hit Miami took. Had the question never been leaked to the press, would he have apologized? I'm guessing no.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:22 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Dez's answer was "no shes not a prostitute, shes just a crack dealer"

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:26 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

1984phins wrote:
Flipper wrote:

He apologized due to the PR hit Miami took. Had the question never been leaked to the press, would he have apologized? I'm guessing no.

I'm thinking the same thing.

10acjed wrote:

:)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:52 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Phin wrote:
1984phins wrote:
Flipper wrote:

I'm thinking the same thing.

10acjed wrote:

:)

:) CLASSIC!!!
That question to a college kid has to be a new low. At least he used the word prostitute & did not go the Imus route.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:15 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I have been a fan since the Dolphins began. When the holy trimisters arrived I got a bad feeling. I know football is a business. However when you look at the happings of the last 2 going on 3 years and the lack of respect to the fans the players. It is time to say. Enough is enough when it comes to "This is a business" like that is some freepass for the TRIMISTERS and company to disrespect the history, the players, ans the Dolphin fans. There are many great Dolphin fans out there. I have a real hard time thinking any supports ot the "holy tuna and company " are true Dolfhin fans I think they are really jet implants.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:01 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

topfan wrote:
I have been a fan since the Dolphins began. When the holy trimisters arrived I got a bad feeling. I know football is a business. However when you look at the happings of the last 2 going on 3 years and the lack of respect to the fans the players. It is time to say. Enough is enough when it comes to "This is a business" like that is some freepass for the TRIMISTERS and company to disrespect the history, the players, ans the Dolphin fans. There are many great Dolphin fans out there. I have a real hard time thinking any supports ot the "holy tuna and company " are true Dolfhin fans I think they are really jet implants.

Idk what the big deal is. Do people really think Ireland wanted to know about his mother being a prostitute? No. Where was it that I read that team's do this kind of thing all the time, with ridiculous questions in the interview just to gauge their reaction?

I really can't remember, but I know this isn't only limited to Jeff Ireland.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:04 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5H5r4_CoJo

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:10 pm

If Belechick said it we would be calling for a league investigation with possible sanctions.
Look , it was a shameful thing to do .... move on. Dez has seemed to do so.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Iowafin wrote:
Idk what the big deal is. Do people really think Ireland wanted to know about his mother being a prostitute? No. Where was it that I read that team's do this kind of thing all the time, with ridiculous questions in the interview just to gauge their reaction?

And if they continue to do that crap they are going to lose fan support and sign fewer free agents. I don't know that they are doing it with others, but if they did it with Dez, it's not a stretch to imagine they have pissed others off with inappropriate questioning as well. Classless

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Hey, Ireland is simply asking the tough questions that most GMs shy away from. Is it a terrible thing to ask, yes, but if you're going to pay a guy #12 overall salary then I think just about everything is in play.
One thing is for sure, none of the Dolphins family members will be pimpin' and hoin'!

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:24 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I don't have a problem with the question at all since the entire nation already new about Bryants Mother.
It is very unfortunate.

But were talking about:
* drafting a kid overall # 12, paying a 21 or 22 yr old Millions & turning him loose on S Beach.

Can he handle the real world preasure ?
Can he be expected to act responsibly around women ? (Rothlesberger)

Theres a huge level of responsibility that comes with making that decision.
We need to know exactly what were getting.
Besides he will hear a whole lot worse on Sundays & has to show he won't lash out & get flagged.

I find it ironic given how deeply painful & personal the subject is for Bryant that he would choose to share even further with the media.
Especially from behind closed doors.
Dallas has to be on edge now knowing one verbal slip up from "Jerruh" & he could end up like Ireland.

sug

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:22 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

sug wrote:
I don't have a problem with the question at all since the entire nation already new about Bryants Mother.
It is very unfortunate.

But were talking about:
* drafting a kid overall # 12, paying a 21 or 22 yr old Millions & turning him loose on S Beach.

Can he handle the real world preasure ?
Can he be expected to act responsibly around women ? (Rothlesberger)

Theres a huge level of responsibility that comes with making that decision.
We need to know exactly what were getting.
Besides he will hear a whole lot worse on Sundays & has to show he won't lash out & get flagged.

I find it ironic given how deeply painful & personal the subject is for Bryant that he would choose to
share even further with the media.
Especially from behind closed doors.
Dallas has to be on edge now knowing one verbal slip up from "Jerruh" & he could end up like Ireland.

sug

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:24 am

Phin wrote:
Iowafin wrote:

And if they continue to do that crap they are going to lose fan support and sign fewer free agents. I don't know that they are doing it with others, but if they did it with Dez, it's not a stretch to imagine they have pissed others off with inappropriate questioning as well. Classless

Your response doesn't seem to acknowledge or address what Iowa said. He said that TEAMS do this kind of thing all the time, not just the Dolphins. And he is right. It is common for teams to ask stupid or ridiculous questions of players all the time. There was a report of one Hurricanes player being asked if he would ever consider murdering someone leading up to this draft as well. That didn't get as much attention because it wasn't a) a Dolphins personnel guy asking it and b) Dez Bryant being asked.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:52 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I've been thinking about this and how I would react to this question if it were asked me. Since it was a rumor out there about him, I really do not see the problem with asking it. I would hope that Ireland used some tact when he did it ... unless he was trying to see how Dez would react to such a question. The opposing corners are going to say much worst than this to him on the field.

I think the only problem is that the Dolphins were the only ones bold enough to ask the question. This just goes to show us that the Dolphins did a heck of a lot of homework in choosing the players they did.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:57 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I think it is real easy to pile on Jeff Ireland. However, I am not sure if the question was all of that inappropriate. If the goal of the question was to see how Dez would react to someone insulting him to his face, then Dez passed the test with flying colors. Should Mr. Ireland have handled it differently...absolutely! If that was his goal he should have not let him leave that meeting without clarifying why he asked that question.

If he wanted to know about his Mom's criminal history, then Mr. Ireland is an idiot and should have just run a background check.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:57 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Pittsburgh: Now Ben, we have heard that you like to rape chicks, is this true?

Ben: Uhhhh....no?

Pittsburgh: Good answer, welcome aboard!

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:23 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

There are a lot of insinuations in that article. And no proof of anything. It's impossible to give it any credibility

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:37 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

degs wrote:
There are a lot of insinuations in that article. And no proof of anything. It's impossible to give it any credibility

You're a little late there degs, Ireland has already came out and apologized for asking Dez the question. I still don't have a problem with it, but man, the media is going to town with it. Poor little Dez Bryant wha wha wha.... *eye roll*

Mike & Mike, ESPN, PTI etc have just been going stupid about it.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 77 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next