View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Salguero: Brown, Williams in final Miami year together? 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Salguero: Brown, Williams in final Miami year together?
Quote:
Ireland was asked Saturday evening if he might have liked to add a running back in the draft and he said that 2010 is the last year for Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams.

"Again, when you put a board together, sometimes the chips fall differently in certain drafts," Ireland said. "Obviously we’re aware of the situation on our team. You have Ricky [Williams] and Ronnie [Brown] kind of in their last year. We’re aware of all those things. We have them for another year, so anything can happen that way. The draft falls certain ways and you can’t help the way it falls. We’re not ignoring those positions by any means, but I felt like we stuck to our board pretty good and stayed the course."

I'm not going to leap to the assumption that Brown and Williams are indeed done with the Dolphins after 2010. The truth is no one knows what will happen after 2010. The NFL may not even play in 2011 for all we know.

But weighing Ireland's words with the facts currently before us, it is not out of the realm of possibility that Miami will be searching for running backs after this year because one or both of its top backs will be gone.

As far as Brown is concerned, he has yet to sign his restricted free agent tender. He would like a long-term deal but that doesn't seem imminent because, well, the Dolphins don't really have to offer one right now.

Brown, 28, has yet to prove he's 100 percent back from last year's fractured foot and has never proven that he is exceedingly durable. The Dolphins own his rights this year via the restricted tender they placed on him and can extend after June 1st if Brown doesn't sign by then. Trust me, Brown is not going to sit out this year if he doesn't get a new contract so he will eventually sign that tender if the Dolphins don't give him a new deal -- and as we just discussed their motivation for doing so is not high.

Bottom line is the Dolphins can keep Brown this year and decide to replace him with younger legs in 2011, if they wish. Bottom line is they have been willing to let him go at different intervals since 2008. Bottom line is his long-term future in Miami is by no means certain.

Williams is another matter, but one no less fraught with uncertainty. The Dolphins have shown a past desire to pass him Post-it note contract extensions, which is the reason he's signed through 2010. He has said in the past that he would retire following the 2010 season.

He said Monday he is "not sure" if he will retire in 2010 and that the hiring agent Drew Rosenhaus should not be interpreted as an intention to play into 2011. Whatever, the point is neither Williams nor the Dolphins know without doubt what is going to happen.

But we do know this: Williams will be 33 next month and so whether he's able to stretch his career beyond 2010 is not a certainty by any means.

So the Dolphins might be wise to take the approach that this could be the final year for both Brown and Williams. And if it doesn't work out that way, well, then something good happened that stretched the Miami career for one or both of the running backs.

Still, better to make the error on the side of caution.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... z0mJDBNIE8

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:27 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Salguero: Brown, Williams in final Miami year together?
If the assumption that players are more likely to produce in their contract year holds any truth, then we should have one hell of a RB tandem this year. Combine that with the presence of a legit #1 WR and our offense is on pace to be pretty dominant. Only time will tell, but I like our chances this year.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

joeschmoe wrote:
If the assumption that players are more likely to produce in their contract year holds any truth, then we should have one hell of a RB tandem this year. Combine that with the presence of a legit #1 WR and our offense is on pace to be pretty dominant. Only time will tell, but I like our chances this year.

Some may disagree, but I don't think production was ever a question with Ronnie, really; it was his ability to stay healthy.
Again with Ricky, I don't think his contract status has much impact on his drive.

That being said, I agree that having the Beast on the team should help our running game.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:47 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

That saying something considering Miami was the 4th ranked rush attack in the NFL, but Brandon Marshall will certainly eliminate the 8 and 9 man in the box that Miami saw a lot last year.

As k-dash said, there is no question about Ronnie desire and talent, but his inability to make it through an entire season healthy. Ricky is going to ball, whether it is a contract year or not.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:40 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Mark Ingram Jr. in 2011

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:52 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

ggippo wrote:
Mark Ingram Jr. in 2011

I like the guy who backs him up better......

Trent Richardson. Keep your eye on him. He'll probably get a lot more carries this year, but Ingram has definitely earned his starting role and will take bulk of carries.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Project86JLL13 wrote:
ggippo wrote:
Mark Ingram Jr. in 2011

I like the guy who backs him up better......

Trent Richardson. Keep your eye on him. He'll probably get a lot more carries this year, but Ingram has definitely earned his starting role and will take bulk of carries.

His dad is a former Bill Parcells first round draft pick and a former Dolphin

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]