View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Sentinel: "Starks is up for the challenge" 
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Sentinel: "Starks is up for the challenge"
Quote:
Asked about the recent news that it will be Starks — not Dan Williams, not Mount Cody, not Cam Thomas or someone else — who will take the baton from Jason Ferguson and open the year as the Dolphins’ starting nose tackle, the seventh-year man out of Maryland smiled.

“I’m excited,” Starks said. “It’s a new challenge and I feel at home because I’ve played inside before. It’s nothing new for me. ”

Indeed, the past two seasons since coming to Miami as a free agent in 2008, Starks has filled in occasionally during Ferguson’s injury absences. So have Paul Soliai, Tony McDaniel and others, but it’s Starks who appears to have the right combination of brute strength, low center of gravity, quickness and creativity to thrive at the position.

At least that’s what the Dolphins are hoping.

“It’s not like I’ve never played it before in a 3-4 [defense],” Starks said. “It’s not going to be brand new for me. At the same time it’s going to be full duty but I’m ready for the challenge. My first four years in the NFL I was playing inside [in the Titans' 4-3]. The last two I went outside, so I’m just going back where I was before.”

Starks, 26, said he is at 310 pounds, which is what he played at in 2009. He has no plans to tweak that weight in order to prepare for opening the year on the nose in Mike Nolan’s defense.

“I’m not going to get bigger, smaller or anything like that,” he said.
Is the move permanent? Will we ever see Starks back on the end?
“I have no idea,” he said. “I don’t tknow if it’s this year, next year, for eight games. ”

Read More:
http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... lenge.html

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:12 am
Profile YIM
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Sentinel: "Starks is up for the challenge"
I'm hoping it's just for eight games until Ferg gets back.......i'm also hoping that Soliai will be improved at NT as well and can spell Starks moreso than he had done previously with Ferg.

I'm also hoping that one of the DL picked up as UFA will eventually develop into a starting NT for the team next season, as this may be the last for Ferg?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:50 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

keebler_kahn wrote:
I'm hoping it's just for eight games until Ferg gets back.......i'm also hoping that Soliai will be improved at NT as well and can spell Starks moreso than he had done previously with Ferg.

I'm also hoping that one of the DL picked up as UFA will eventually develop into a starting NT for the team next season, as this may be the last for Ferg?

I dont think Mike Nolan is about to change his defensive strategies because Ferg is suspended 8 games... Only thing that will change when Ferg comes back is maybe a different size package for short yardage run stopping....

Nolan is a proven D coord, he does alot of unconventional things that will look confusing...

The fact that we only brought in one true NT from the undrafted list tells me he is not really concerned with it....

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:04 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

keebler_kahn wrote:

Why wouldn't you want starks at the NT? It sure sounds like the coaches want him there. Starks is only 26 years old and has the size to be successful. If sparano/nolan feel like starks can hold it down, I will agree until proven wrong.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:30 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

joeschmoe wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

Why wouldn't you want starks at the NT? It sure sounds like the coaches want him there. Starks is only 26 years old and has the size to be successful. If sparano/nolan feel like starks can hold it down, I will agree until proven wrong.

I don't really want Starks at NT cause over the past 2 seasons he has been the best DE on the team.......why change what is working really well?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

keebler_kahn wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:

I don't really want Starks at NT cause over the past 2 seasons he has been the best DE on the team.......why change what is working really well?

Let odrick take over at DE, Starks is a playmaker and will still be on the field. You also have to take in to account that starks won't be playing the traditional 34 NT we're used to in Nolan's scheme.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:36 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

joeschmoe wrote:
keebler_kahn wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Let odrick take over at DE, Starks is a playmaker and will still be on the field. You also have to take in to account that starks won't be playing the traditional 34 NT we're used to in Nolan's scheme.

Odrick has never played in the NFL, so I'm not sure if that would work out or not? I believe the spot will probably be between he and Merling, and I wouldn't just say Odrick will win out.......I believe Odrick will be in the rotation for the DL, but until he shows what he can do in the NFL I don't know if he's a starter, top rotation guy or just another rotation guy?

Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:45 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Hi guys
New guy here, my name is sug.

I think the Starks move is a smart one for a couple reasons.

a). the Phins want to get away from "the 2 Gap Anchor" phylosophy in exchange for the "Single or 1 Gap".
It's a quick penetration, wreack havock in the backfield, attacking style.
They had good succes with it in Dallas with Jay Ratliff.

b). scouting & acquiring 310-325 # DL who excell at penentration is way easier
than scouting 325-345 + # guys that are only good on 1st & 2nd dwn.
Speaking of 2 dwn NGs, why would an oposing OC & QB cooperate & let you substitute on 3rd dwn when they can just switch to the no huddle & make a Def pay ?
We need to have at least 1 DT on the field at all times who can play NG.
(rotation)

c). The days of dependency on a rare, big 340# NGs & the prospect of holding a team hostage over cash & negotiations could be coming to an end.
More & more teams want to switch over to a 3/4 deff but the though of having to utilize a high price or unproven high draftee makes it a prohibitive 3 yr venture. No current NFL coach feels secure enough to justify the conversion in a "win now league".

d). when Starks does move on it could esily be Odrick that takes over @ NG.
He to played inside @ P.S..

sug

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I think the fact that they didn't address NT in the draft or FA is because they want Starks at that spot. Fergusen coming back after missing eight games will be like unleashing a monster. Also, I thought Ireland was BSing when he said the guys on the roster will compete at FS, but I think he may really want that. Unless we go after Sharper or some other FA.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:15 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Our season may depend on how well Starks is able to adjust to this defense.

Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:32 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Jason Ferguson 6-3 310
Randy Starks 6-3 310
What makes this such a shocking move???

To me it looks like Starks is a perfect fit, he is exactly the same tough, hard to block, low center of gravity kind of guy that Ferguson is in my opinion. I think he'll do just fine. Considering he's only 26, he could be our NT of the future if this move works out. He's probably not going to get 7 sacks again playing the middle, but if he can hold it down like Ferguson we'll be much better on defense than we were at the end of last season. I think this is a good move.
:runwiththeball:

Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:14 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

What Mike Nolan brings to the table is a lot of different looks and fronts, from a 3 man to 4 man to 5 man fronts.

Paul Soliai still will be a factor and I hope he can continues to improve and become more consistent. Rayn Baker has been asked to bulk up so he can play the nose, and he has the frame to at the weight at 6'5. I believe Travis Ivey, the 6'4, 341 lbs NT our of Maryland will be given every chance to make the team.

Randy will be manning the NT spot primarily, but you will see multiple guys at the NT spot, especially when they play out of the true 3-4 set.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:18 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Jason Ferguson 6-3 310
Randy Starks 6-3 310

He's too small.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:18 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I have every confidence in the world that Starks can fill up the middle and be quite good doing it. Though his size is the same as Ferg's, his center of gravity is not as strong. He will need to work on that, but I am also quite confident Nolan will mold him well.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:48 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Iowafin wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:
Jason Ferguson 6-3 310
Randy Starks 6-3 310

He's too small.

Then so is Jason Ferguson.

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:22 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

The difference is how the weight is distributed.

Ferguson has a solid base, thick legs, heavy in his lower section helps him hold his ground easier. Starks isn't. But also, Starks is playing in a 1-gap 3-4 defense, not a 2 gap like we have been in with Ferguson. So Starks should be fine in his new role

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]