Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:42 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Quote:
By Omar Kelly, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

... has been attending Dolphins practices for the past month, and he's started to sit in on quarterback meetings each week.

Marino has been at every home and road game since being hired to his new role, and he's begun to provide valuable advice to starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill, ...

"He's been around a lot as of recent. I watch tape with him. He's been in the meeting room. ...

According to Matt Moore, the Dolphins' backup quarterback, Marino sits in on the beginning of the week quarterback meetings, which sometimes includes the coaching staff. He goes over opposing defenses and breaks down route combinations with the quarterbacks and coaches. ...

When asked if he's learned from Marino's pointers, Moore emphatically responded with "absolutely!" ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:09 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Only two words can describe this article:

Long overdue.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:28 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Only two words can describe this article:

Long overdue.

:clap:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:11 pm 
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Tannehill gonna be the elitist of the elite.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:36 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Dan the man.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:40 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Talk about pressure with that guy in your meetings

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:41 am 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

As long as what he's telling the QBs fits in with what Lazor wants to do. We don't want to be hearing stories after the season about how Marino caused friction between the QBs and the coaches or something along those lines.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:08 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Quote:
As long as what he's telling the QBs fits in with what Lazor wants to do. We don't want to be hearing stories after the season about how Marino caused friction between the QBs and the coaches or something along those lines.

We can only hope that Marino is sharing ideas of wisdom to Tannehill and sitting in the wings interjecting thoughts with the coaches who are leading the meetings. I would like to believe that is what is happening with Marino adding his experience into the mix because IMO the concepts of his QB knowledge and competitive spirit to dissect defenses would be a great asset to a young guy like Tanny.

What a great thing though to have Marino around and it is nice to see that he finally feels to the point in life to step in and help like this and my guess is since his studio days are slow that this was good timing for him now.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:44 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
Dan the man.

Or Tan the Man.

Barry Jackson wrote:
### Good to hear that Dolphins special adviser Dan Marino has been watching film some with Ryan Tannehill, as Tannehill detailed today. Marino was reluctant to pop his head into meetings early in the season because he didn't want to do anything to step on the coaches' toes.

But the coaching staff has made Marino feel welcome. And Marino has attended several practices recently.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:34 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I hope Dan can help but I'm not sure he can, he was never an X's and O's guy, he was just supremely talented, I often reference Bill Walsh on this topic, when he interviewed Dan and asked him, and I'm paraphasing here "when you line up against this defense, what are you thinking and what are you watching, are you looking to this WR or this DB..." and Dan replied by saying, "Coach, I just look for the open man and hit him".

Dan could just play, and right out of college, at the time he was far and away the best rookis qb ever and remains one of, if not the best rookie ever, so he has not gone through the struggles of Tanne, there was no adjustment period for Dan so he really can't help with advice in that area.

I hope he can help some, but I'm not expecting much, Dan isn't going to tell him anything he hasn't already heard but perhaps coming from Dan it will carry more weight, I think this may be the way he can help more than any.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:52 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I couldn't agree more. Marino was a grip it and rip it guy. He could've given a rats behind if the guy had 3 people on him... as long as he could squeeze a football in there he was confident he could do it. The pure athletes are supremely confident and don't fear failure. I'd love for RT to quit trying to finesse the ball to Wallace on those deep throws. If he isn't comfortable with a touch pass, throw a line drive.... hell Wallace is so open that it would work.
Now if Marino can just unlace and take back those size 24EEE shoes every QB has worn since he retired...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

I would hope Marino is reviewing sliding in the pocket or making quick adjustments to avoid pressure. I realize pocket presence cannot be taught, but I'd think Marino can give pointers about things he looked for.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:02 pm 

jammer wrote:
I would hope Marino is reviewing sliding in the pocket or making quick adjustments to avoid pressure. I realize pocket presence cannot be taught, but I'd think Marino can give pointers about things he looked for.

Pocket presence can be taught. See Aaron Rodgers.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 1:07 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I have to totally disagree with you on this one. Dan was an excellent X's and O's guy, but he broke the game down to a simple, get rid of the b.s. complexity of the game and all the X and O's crap and it all really comes down to feeling the rush and watching the receivers and the CB's when reading the coverage.

It's easy to breakdown a play after the fact, but NFL defense's disguise their coverages so much, it's almost idiotic to really let the X and O's take precedent over what is unfolding before ones eyes. Marino had excellent footwork, great vision, extremely accurate, many players said Marino's passes were easy to catch (that says it all) and a great quick release, one of the fast as ever, and a fierce competitor, most fans can't even define what a quick release really is.

True story - It was once quoted - by coaches and players - during practice, Marino would tell the defense which side he was throwing to and they still couldn't stop him in practice. Marino was also quoted as saying a perfect pass could not be defended.

In short what Marino was saying to Bill Walsh, in a nice way, was look, cut the b.s. the game really comes down to playing and execution.

You can't coach great footwork, you can't coach accuracy, you can't coach great vision, you can't coach a quick release, you either have it or you don't.

In closing, I did not know Marino was at the Chicago game, which explains why Tannehill had an outstanding game.

I have always said, Marino would make a great offensive coordinator, where he can help Tannehill in is developing his footwork, trust what you see and let it rip. he can teach him how to feel the rush, he can teach him about the clock in his head, when its time to let the pass go, and I am sure a lot more than I know.

I recall Dan Marino telling Scott Mitchell where to throw the ball and who would be open and Marino was right everytime.

I also recall Steve Young taking about his early days in Tampa and the 49ers, and he said, he finally learned to throw the ball in the area the receiver was at (typically Jerry Rice) and I swear it, he said, sometimes he could not see him (because he was not a very tall QB) and the rush, or because of the defender , but he learned to trust the receiver and himself that the receiver and ball would be there, and a lot of times, he could not see the receiver making the catch, but the roar of the crowd told him it was a completion or a TD.

d-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:40 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

dolphans1 wrote:
I have always said, Marino would make a great offensive coordinator,

IMO Marino would blow as a OC, unless he learned that the running game is also important.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:14 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

IMO Marino would blow as a OC, unless he learned that the running game is also important.

He seemed to get that under Jimmy Johnson, although, he never had a good back to hand the ball off to.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Yes the Jimmy days... run run run for nothing all day long... by the 4th QTR: "Ok Dan go out there and win it."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:06 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

Yeah that was a knock, we'd score to soon and the defense would be right back on the field, but even Jimmy Johnson tried changing all of that and looked what happened. We had David Overstreet, who sowed great promise, unfortunately, he was killed in a tragic car accident.

d-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:

He seemed to get that under Jimmy Johnson, although, he never had a good back to hand the ball off to.

Hey what about Mark Higgs....?

We never had a dominate defense either, major problem.

d-1

Last edited by dolphans1 on Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:24 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The sad truth is that Dan extended Shula's career 7 to 10 years beyond what it should have been, because the bottom line is, the Fins had the same problems during Dan's entire time with Shula and Shula never got them fixed, defense and run game never fixed in an entire decade.

As great as Shula had been the game had passed him bye, probably the single biggest reason Dan never got a ring.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:40 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

If Dan held out another 2 years, he'd have a ring. Ricky Williams + Dan Marino...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Ski_Money wrote:
If Dan held out another 2 years, he'd have a ring. Ricky Williams + Dan Marino...

Yes or Lamar Smith, he had a great year with us, then we let him go.

d-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:55 am 

dolphans1 wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

d-1

Wrong. He had an OK year and then a mediocre year and was also 31 when we let him go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:27 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I hope Dan doesn't teach Tannehill to force the ball to the outside. Danny had a heck of a lot of Pick-6's at the end of his career when the noodle started to wear out.

Finster wrote:
The sad truth is that Dan extended Shula's career 7 to 10 years beyond what it should have been, because the bottom line is, the Fins had the same problems during Dan's entire time with Shula and Shula never got them fixed, defense and run game never fixed in an entire decade.

It wasn't as if the Don didn't try to get a good running back. He tried to draft one several times and even traded for a proven one, but Bobby Humphrey was shot in the leg and didn't play but part of a season with us (I believe).

Shula did get soft in his old age. He should have fired Oliva-no-Defense but he was a good friend of his. That defense was always ... average of below average.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:13 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
dolphans1 wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

d-1

Wrong. He had an OK year and then a mediocre year and was also 31 when we let him go.

Disagree with you Rich, and your wrong, he only played 2 years and was not really given a chance. On December 30, 2000, Lamar Smith carried the ball, a then, NFL record 40 times for the Dolphins in a wildcard playoff game against the Indianapolis Colts. He finished with 209 yards rushing, including a 17-yard touchdown run in overtime to give the Dolphins a 23-17 victory.

That Rich, is great....!!!

http://www.nfl.com/videos/miami-dolphin ... n-overtime

I admit, he had some tragic personal issues later on, but we should have kept him.

d-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:49 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Lamar Smith averaged 3.1 ypc his last (second) year with the Dolphins. That is why they replaced him with Ricky Williams the next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:05 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:
Lamar Smith averaged 3.1 ypc his last (second) year with the Dolphins. That is why they replaced him with Ricky Williams the next year.

3.1 yds X 3 carries = 9.3 yards, and eventually Smith would break one or I would go for it on 4th down every time with him running, now imagine Marino behind center?

I thought Lamar Smith was great when we had him, he ran with toughness, and yes we got Ricky Williams, but look what he turned out to be, a complainer, quitter and a total loser. Ricky Williams had issues, and I defended him in the past, but he was not a "man". When you start blaming QB's for quitting, I don't buy that at all.

d-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:19 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

Lamar Smith was an average journeyman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:29 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
Lamar Smith was an average journeyman

I respect your opinion, but even Barry Sanders was great and it just proves you can't count on the running game either.

A lot of it is luck.

d-1

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

dolphans1 wrote:
Yeah that was a knock, we'd score to soon and the defense would be right back on the field, but even Jimmy Johnson tried changing all of that and looked what happened. We had David Overstreet, who sowed great promise, unfortunately, he was killed in a tragic car accident.
Knock? Marino was never about helping establish a running game. That was what that was.

Finster wrote:

As great as Shula had been the game had passed him bye, probably the single biggest reason Dan never got a ring.
GM Shula let Coach Shula down

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:24 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
GM Shula let Coach Shula down

He definitely didn't draft so well in his later years. I remember Shula apologizing to Oliva-no-Defense after he "stepped down" as Dolphins coach for being more diligent on addressing the offensive needs of the team rather than the defensive needs.

It seemed to me that after his wife died he had a priority change to where he valued friends over winning. While The Don wanted to win, he didn't make the managerial decisions on his staff that he should have. While Shula was a great coach and won many games without Arnsparger, he was a Super Bowl coach with Arnsparger. They were a great team together.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 9:49 am 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
He definitely didn't draft so well in his later years. I remember Shula apologizing to Oliva-no-Defense after he "stepped down" as Dolphins coach for being more diligent on addressing the offensive needs of the team rather than the defensive needs.

It seemed to me that after his wife died he had a priority change to where he valued friends over winning. While The Don wanted to win, he didn't make the managerial decisions on his staff that he should have. While Shula was a great coach and won many games without Arnsparger, he was a Super Bowl coach with Arnsparger. They were a great team together.

Nailed it. If we look back at his drafting it was horrible. Eric Kumerow in Rd. 1? Rick Graf / Scott Schwedes in Rd. 2 in the same draft? Jackie Shipp / Jay Brophy top of the same draft? Billy Milner / Andrew Greene top of the same draft. If this report is accurate. It tells the story of how well Shula scouted player. It was once reported that after Miami drafted Terry Kirby, that Shula was unaware that he was legally blind in one eye.

1983 is probably the last draft I felt like Shula hit on their picks. Then Shula trades A. Carter for nothing.

Drafting a player everyone else would have drafted & missing is one thing, but its the reaches that miss that kills me. Why teams reach for players is something I've never understood. I'm not talking 10 pick reaches, its the Rd. reaches I speaking about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:28 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Eric Kumerow in Rd. 1?

Now you are making cry. I was thinking for sure that Shula was going to draft LB Chris Spielman. Spielman was nominated for many defensive awards his last year of college and won the Vince Lombardi trophy for "Lineman of the Year".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:46 pm 
VIP Donor!
VIP Donor!

Big Dave wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Eric Kumerow in Rd. 1?

Now you are making cry. I was thinking for sure that Shula was going to draft LB Chris Spielman. Spielman was nominated for many defensive awards his last year of college and won the Vince Lombardi trophy for "Lineman of the Year".

My first yr of watching the draft and it has lead to many WTH moments for myself. I recall the everyone going "Who"

I was thinking RB. Iron Head, Lo. White or Thurman.

Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ]