Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:05 pm 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Post Game

The Good

What a weird game. We win by two touchdowns, but there isn't really much "good" to say.

Pick Sixes - Nice to see the Dolphins defense score touchdowns. The interceptions returned for touchdowns by Louis Delmas and Brent Grimes decided the game. It is rare to see the Dolphins get a pick 6 in a game. Against the Jaguars, they got two.

Running Game - the Dolphins gained 148 yards on 24 carries (6.2 ypc). It might have helped early on to use the running game more. The Dolphins kept passing in the first half and most of those passes were of the 5 or 7 step drop variety. Not a good idea against a that is 3rd in sacks. Lamar Miller and Ryan Tannehill both had 30 yard runs.

Deep Ball - Tannehill finally hit Wallace deep on a perfectly thrown 50 yard bomb. Wallace was well covered on the play but becauuse Tannehill placed the ball where only Wallace could make a play, Wallace made the play, getting his knee down. After that, the Jacksonville defense softened up.

The Bad

Brian Hartline - the disappearing act continues for Hartline, who only had 1 catch on 4 targets and he dropped two of those.

Run Defense - the defense let Denard Robinson gain 108 yards on 18 carries and the Jaguars had 178 yards on the ground.

Pass Protection - Tannehill was sacked 3 times, and those were not coverage sacks as the pressure was coming before he was getting to the top of his drops. The offensive line has given up 7 sacks the past two games.

The Ugly

Offense - the offense had a rough day, from poor pass protection to dropped passes and missed throws. There is enough blame to go around on this one. The defense scored more points than the offense.

Trap Game - no matter how much this was talked about as a trap game, the Dolphins still fell into the trap.

Overall

The Dolphins are now over .500 and have won two in a row. And yet this win leaves more questions than answers. Questions about the coaching staff, Tannehill and the offense and how this team is going to do in the next couple of games, when the level of competition increases significantly.

Hopefully this was just the quintessential trap game and the Dolphins will be better prepared for San Diego.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:12 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Questions about the coaching staff, Tannehill and the offense and how this team is going to do in the next couple of games, when the level of competition increases significantly.

Hopefully this was just the quintessential trap game and the Dolphins will be better prepared for San Diego.

Great write up Rich. You are right about the questions, every week. The Raiders blow, the Bears proved they suck, and we fell into a trap game. Next week will tell a lot IMO.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:24 pm 
Phinfever Draft Anaylst
Phinfever Draft Anaylst

I can't say that anything has changed for me. Can't say that this game has me worried at all. It was just one of those games. the Jags gave us their best shot...had a nice gameplan and we're barely saw the ball for much of the game. They were playing ball control and they missed out on alot of opportunities because our defense spanked them. Their strength is the front 7 and we saw that. But we won going away and on the road.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:37 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

swerve13 wrote:
I can't say that anything has changed for me. Can't say that this game has me worried at all. It was just one of those games. the Jags gave us their best shot...had a nice gameplan and we're barely saw the ball for much of the game. They were playing ball control and they missed out on alot of opportunities because our defense spanked them. Their strength is the front 7 and we saw that. But we won going away and on the road.

Good and excellent point.

d-1

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:15 am 
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Man we dodged a bullet today. We got bailed out with turnovers. Delmas pick 6 while they were driving, Bortles fumble while they were driving. Don't get me wrong, a W is a W, and I am stoked. But our offense in the 1st was as bad as I've seen it in a while. 3 plays punt, 3 plays punt, 3 plays punt, 3 plays punt. At one point down 11 first downs to 1. Yikes.

But, none the less, time for San Diego.....can't play like that offensively though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 6:56 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

dolphans1 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Good and excellent point.

d-1

Second that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:08 am 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Deep Ball - Tannehill finally hit Wallace deep on a perfectly thrown 50 yard bomb. Wallace was well covered on the play but becauuse Tannehill placed the ball where only Wallace could make a play, Wallace made the play, getting his knee down. After that, the Jacksonville defense softened up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:28 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum

fbomb

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:57 am 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Excellent work, Rich.

Rich wrote:
Deep Ball - Tannehill finally hit Wallace deep on a perfectly thrown 50 yard bomb. Wallace was well covered on the play but becauuse Tannehill placed the ball where only Wallace could make a play, Wallace made the play, getting his knee down. After that, the Jacksonville defense softened up..

I just don't get how more accurate Tannehill is on the run. Maybe Lazor should start to have him throw deep more on the run. That was a sweet pass and a great job by Wallace to get his knee down inbounds.

Rich wrote:
Trap Game - no matter how much this was talked about as a trap game, the Dolphins still fell into the trap.

A lot of fans are panicking here, but this is the same team that played the Packers and Bears well. Just think about this, if the coaches hadn't thrown the game away late in the Packers game we would be standing at 5-2 right now.

If this team wants to get Tannehill in a groove early then they must protect him better early in the game. The Dolphins need a serious upgrade at LG and RG for next year. Nothing against the work that Satele has done this year, but Pouncey needs to move back to his position at center in 2015.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:08 am 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Next 4 games are a tough stretch. Miami is going to have to beat SD and Buffalo if they want a shot at the playoffs. The team in general has to play better.

I just do not understand why the offensive scheme seems brilliant versus the Bears and then looks clueless versus the Jags. Why not lean on the ground game against a team that is 2nd in the league in sacks?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:21 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I'm a bit more worried about Buffalo than I am Denver. Detroit and SD are both very beatable (very losable also), but Buffalo is lights out on defense and Orton has reignited their offense. If we can't score with our offense, we can't win (Jax is the exception to that rule lol). In fact, I'd venture to say that Buffalo is going to be the hardest team to beat we have left.

As for Denver, if we can keep our Defense off the field as much as possible, we have a chance. Scoring on them is not that hard to do. Not like sacrificing your first born and self castrating to score on Buffalo.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:37 pm 
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
Trap Game - no matter how much this was talked about as a trap game, the Dolphins still fell into the trap

I don't necessarily see it this way. I know a lot of you here felt like the team wasn't ready to give it there best, & I can say that is likely true. However, I never thought there was a danger of losing this game to the Jaguars.

They are a much less talented team, with less experience. The problem was simply their D-line vs Miami's O-line. & possibly that the coaches weren't prepared to start the game or make the necessary adjustments to avoid the pressure on Tannehill. (which is reoccurring I might add)

I believe, even without the defensive TDs the Dolphins simply would've outlasted the Jaguars & won the game a little later. If Miami were dominant then it would've been a blow out like most of us hoped but I'm not disappointed with an arguably closer game.

I will say that I think the biggest problem with the entire franchise is the attitude. Rather than being respected for winning the Miami Dolphins have a perception ineptitude and uncertainty. I'm sick of the way this franchise is talked about & looked at by seemingly everyone who isn't a fan. & that has lead to is the biggest problem of all; this team not approaching their work with belief AND almost every team that plays Miami believes they have a chance. Perfect example: Jacksonville came into the game ready to give everything they had because they truly believed they could take the Dolphins down.

We saw it last year too with Buffalo, Tampa, NY, and Carolina in the 2nd half. All teams we should not have lost to or even given them the idea of us being beatable. That has to be changed before the "trap" notion can dissolve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Actually Steve, I'm surprised at how LITTLE this team is talked about. They show the obligatory highlights but that's it. Whenever we play a high profile team, the discussion is all about the other team lol.

Exhibit A - We beat New England and the only thing you heard on TV was the Patriots lost... not that the Dolphins won.

"New England lost to the Dolphins today..."

"Ok lets look at this AFC East battle, the Bills went up on the Dolphins today..."

"Annnnnnd the Chiefs with a win over Miami on Sunday..."

"Oakland with a devastating loss in London..." (we didn't even get mentioned in the title... just Oakland, and London)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:45 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Nice write up Rich.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:47 pm 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
I just do not understand why the offensive scheme seems brilliant versus the Bears and then looks clueless versus the Jags. Why not lean on the ground game against a team that is 2nd in the league in sacks?

We should run more than we do, but the Jaguar defense is tough and agressive up the middle.

Follow me on Twitter - David Blake@phinfever

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:03 pm 
Phinfever Draft Guru
Phinfever Draft Guru

Big Dave wrote:
jammer wrote:

We should run more than we do, but the Jaguar defense is tough and agressive up the middle.

They lost their leading tackler and it was apparent from the first drive that the OL was not going to handle the rush well. Pick your poison I guess - get your QB killed vs 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:39 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ski_Money wrote:
Actually Steve, I'm surprised at how LITTLE this team is talked about. They show the obligatory highlights but that's it. Whenever we play a high profile team, the discussion is all about the other team lol.

Exhibit A - We beat New England and the only thing you heard on TV was the Patriots lost... not that the Dolphins won.

"New England lost to the Dolphins today..."

"Ok lets look at this AFC East battle, the Bills went up on the Dolphins today..."

"Annnnnnd the Chiefs with a win over Miami on Sunday..."

"Oakland with a devastating loss in London..." (we didn't even get mentioned in the title... just Oakland, and London)

This kind of thing is almost always over-stated. Takes a while to earn your media stripes when you haven't been relevant for a while.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:15 pm 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Pretty darn good write up Rich! You give everyone the impression that your a really good guy, now why would you go ruin your image? What's up with that? :yay:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:35 am 

Finhead34 wrote:
Pretty darn good write up Rich! You give everyone the impression that your a really good guy, now why would you go ruin your image? What's up with that? :yay:

No idea what you're talking about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:27 am 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Your image is a bad guy and this write up makes you look like a good guy? I don't know either...lol

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:30 am 

Makchell wrote:
Your image is a bad guy and this write up makes you look like a good guy? I don't know either...lol

Did I save a kitten in my write up?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:45 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Ha! Ha! I see that my point did not really get across. The compliment to Rich was for another great write up. Where I was poking fun is this thread vs. other threads where the sarcasm and his lack of charity for people that say dumb things in this forum comes out!!

Mak, you of all people should know this because Rich is always calling out your dumb comments!!!

I'M KIDDING!!! What have we all been posting for at least the past 7 years is what I can remember. Always fun watching everyone's comments.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:49 am 
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Makchell wrote:

Did I save a kitten in my write up?

No... but you didn't punt one through the uprights either :haha

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:54 am 

Finhead34 wrote:
Rich is always calling out your dumb comments!!!

Finally.. truth.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:09 pm 
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak, you of all people should know this because Rich is always calling out your dumb comments!!!

I'M KIDDING!!! What have we all been posting for at least the past 7 years is what I can remember. Always fun watching everyone's comments.

lol!

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]