View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Nice breakdown of Miami draft from Universal Draft 
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Post Nice breakdown of Miami draft from Universal Draft
These guys contribute to Dave Hyde and the Sun-Sentinel and they do some nice work. They are also Dolphins fans as well. They did a weekly column that AQNOR had been posting and this is there breakdown on Miami draft.

Quote:
CK’s 2010 Draft Reviews – Miami Dolphins Wrap Up

by Chris Kouffman

I find draft grades to be all but meaningless. They are purely a function of how you rated players prior to the draft, and which teams took your favorite players. The notion that you could grade a draft after the fact, but within days of the actual event, is kind of absurd.

What I prefer to give readers is a feel for my own personal reaction as the draft came to me. You can take that for whatever you feel it is worth. I did the same with last year’s Miami Dolphins draft and I was notably wrong on several of my reactions. I hated the Brian Hartline pick, and loved the Clemons and Gardner picks. Hartline looks well on his way to being a legitimate NFL starter and I’ve admitted a hundred times that my initial read on him was very wrong. On the other hand, Clemons and Gardner played very little in 2009 and we still have no idea what they have to offer the Dolphins. It wasn’t all bad for me, I hated the Pat White pick with a passion and that one has not turned out very wise thus far. I hailed the Sean Smith pick and he was a day one starter (unlike Vontae Davis who went a round ahead of him) despite his inexperience at the position, so obviously the coaches saw what I saw in him. I was neutral at best on the John Nalbone and Pat Turner picks, and thought the J.D. Folsom selection was purely a throwaway pick.

Overall, I walked away from 2010 Draft weekend feeling much better about the Miami Dolphins’ draft than I did in 2009. Given my negative grade on the 2009 Draft it would be tough to make a case for bias. The fact of the matter is, before the draft I created a list of players about 80 deep that I considered to be draftable favorites of mine. I called it the “All-Smiles List”, as in I would be all smiles if the Dolphins had grabbed that player. About 15 of those players went undrafted. The Dolphins came away from Draft weekend with 5 of those remaining 65 drafted players (Odrick, Misi, Jerry, Edds, Spitler), more than any other team in the league. Only one team (the Arizona Cardinals) walked away with more than 3 of my All-Smiles players.

Technically I have every right to claim, completely free from accusations of bias, that the Miami Dolphins walked away with my favorite draft class and therefore my highest draft grade in the league. I don’t see any other way around that. But, I’ve decided not to give letter grades. Below is a pick-by-pick analysis of what I think about each player’s positives and negatives, where they fit with Miami, and I’ll kick off with a parable of my draft day reaction to their selection.

Pick #12: DE Jared Odrick, Penn State

My Reaction: “I hope they take Jerry Hughes. C’mon, Jerry Hughes! JERRI-!!! Jerri-…Jared Odrick? Huh. That’s interesting. Really good player. Why not Hughes? Odrick’s darn good but that surprises me.”

Positives: Odrick possesses a rare blend of size, frame and quickness. He moves on his feet and uses his long arms to occupy blockers and get by them. He has snap-to-whistle motor and the consistent ability to hustle quickly to the play down the field. He has natural knee bend and plays behind his pads, which gives him good pad level, quickness and explosion, while simultaneously decreasing area for a blocker to target. He protects his feet well. His getup off the snap is quick enough to consistently be a pass rush threat. He shows strength in his swipes and hand use, and really puts his long arms to advantage when pass rushing. Rare agility for his size, he can free himself with spin moves and/or retrace like a man much smaller. He possesses the ideal build with good length, base, and reach. He possesses the absolute ideal stamina. He can play literally every snap of a physically demanding game, and you would not be able to tell apart his fourth quarter snaps from his first quarter snaps. I have yet to see him take a play off or pull up from a play without hustling. He has ideal work ethic and character, and was the unquestioned leader of the defense.

Negatives: He didn’t keep his shoulders square very much in Penn State’s scheme as he was more of a penetrator. He played so far behind his pads that he was left unbalanced, and went to ground too often. He doesn’t lead with his hands off the snap enough and will need to learn to get a quicker punch into a blocker. He can lose the play in the backfield and needs to do a better job of tracking the play.

The Fit: Odrick has been correctly described as the most prototypical 3-4 Defensive End prospect in this draft. He is a full 6’5” and 304 lbs with ideal long arms (34+ inches), just under 10 inch hands, sub-5.0 speed, and good agility (7.22 cone drill). He played a lot of 1-Technique in college, where he was able to simultaneously stop the run and penetrate against the pass. His 7.0 sacks and 11.0 TFLs speak to his ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. The Dolphins will use him in pass rush formations where he could kick inside, but he will also start as a 3-4 Defensive End. As my colleague Richard would probably tell you, the Penn State strength program often leaves prospects a little underwhelming in the weight room. With a lot of work in the Dolphins’ demanding but effective strength program, and if the Dolphins’ coaches are able to work on some of his flaws, he has the same kind of potential as a Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy. The biggest controversy about this fit is the move of Randy Starks to the Nose Tackle position. I have to say that I am all for it. It was a possibility that I raised months ago. Everywhere you go, you always hear that the nose tackle is the most important position in a 3-4 defense. Personally, I believe that front offices have always had a funny way of showing that theory, but if we were to assume that the hypothesis is 100 percent true, then why wouldn’t you put your best defensive lineman at the position of most import? Randy Starks has developed into an extremely good defensive lineman. I am not even sure that this can be attributed fully to scheme change, as I believe that you could put him back in the Tennessee Titans’ 4-3 scheme tomorrow and he would be just as good. He has a good body type, a big base, he’s not overly lengthy or narrow. He has played on the nose before and did well. If the nose position is more important than the end position, then this move makes a lot of sense. Some claim that this is robbing Peter to pay Paul, but if the NT position is much more important than the DE position, then as I said on draft day this is more robbing Peter the Poff to pay Paul the Mobster. You have to view the situation fluidly, and I am glad the Dolphins agree. Jared Odrick is a better 3-4 End prospect than guys like Dan Williams, Linval Joseph and Cam Thomas were as Nose prospects.

Picks 2-7 Here:

http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/04/2 ... s-wrap-up/

Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:22 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

Post Re: Nice breakdown of Miami draft from Universal Draft
Quote:
Pick #145: CB Nolan Carroll, Maryland

Negatives: He tends to be a mentally clueless player and I don’t use that term lightly. He was often caught peeking in the backfield and being fooled by play-action, much like current Miami Dolphin Jason Allen.

We won't use the "D" word.....(Inside joke from Phinfever Live with Edgar Thompson) :)

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

The Hen wrote:
Quote:

Negatives: He tends to be a mentally clueless player and I don’t use that term lightly. He was often caught peeking in the backfield and being fooled by play-action, much like current Miami Dolphin Jason Allen.

We won't use the "D" word.....(Inside joke from Phinfever Live with Edgar Thompson) :)

Be careful referring to Jason Allen's mental level, I got flamed for calling him out.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:00 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

joeschmoe wrote:
The Hen wrote:
Quote:

Be careful referring to Jason Allen's mental level, I got flamed for calling him out.

LOL. I think he's had 3 head coaches that think the same thing.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:16 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

I love this breakdown :yay: To me this is how you should grade your draft picks, it's all about how that player will fit your team,and not the big name school or always the big name player. If the guy fits what you'r doing on the field and you can get him at that spot in the round, then go get him. To much is put on what school they went to or the comp they played with. I do my picks the same way,I look at what we need then what style we run. On my list the Dolphins picked only 2 and they were, Misi and Edds. Out of the 7 (lbs) I thought would fit are D,on D-line I was looking at (nt)'s and not (de)'s. And as far a (fs) I had only 2 Mays and Thomas. But all in all this breakdown is the best way to look back at our picks and feel a little better about how the team will look this year.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:28 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

phinsfansc wrote:
These guys contribute to Dave Hyde and the Sun-Sentinel and they do some nice work. They are also Dolphins fans as well. They did a weekly column that AQNOR had been posting and this is there breakdown on Miami draft.

Quote:
CK’s 2010 Draft Reviews – Miami Dolphins Wrap Up

by Chris Kouffman

I find draft grades to be all but meaningless. They are purely a function of how you rated players prior to the draft, and which teams took your favorite players. The notion that you could grade a draft after the fact, but within days of the actual event, is kind of absurd.

What I prefer to give readers is a feel for my own personal reaction as the draft came to me. You can take that for whatever you feel it is worth. I did the same with last year’s Miami Dolphins draft and I was notably wrong on several of my reactions. I hated the Brian Hartline pick, and loved the Clemons and Gardner picks. Hartline looks well on his way to being a legitimate NFL starter and I’ve admitted a hundred times that my initial read on him was very wrong. On the other hand, Clemons and Gardner played very little in 2009 and we still have no idea what they have to offer the Dolphins. It wasn’t all bad for me, I hated the Pat White pick with a passion and that one has not turned out very wise thus far. I hailed the Sean Smith pick and he was a day one starter (unlike Vontae Davis who went a round ahead of him) despite his inexperience at the position, so obviously the coaches saw what I saw in him. I was neutral at best on the John Nalbone and Pat Turner picks, and thought the J.D. Folsom selection was purely a throwaway pick.

Overall, I walked away from 2010 Draft weekend feeling much better about the Miami Dolphins’ draft than I did in 2009. Given my negative grade on the 2009 Draft it would be tough to make a case for bias. The fact of the matter is, before the draft I created a list of players about 80 deep that I considered to be draftable favorites of mine. I called it the “All-Smiles List”, as in I would be all smiles if the Dolphins had grabbed that player. About 15 of those players went undrafted. The Dolphins came away from Draft weekend with 5 of those remaining 65 drafted players (Odrick, Misi, Jerry, Edds, Spitler), more than any other team in the league. Only one team (the Arizona Cardinals) walked away with more than 3 of my All-Smiles players.

Technically I have every right to claim, completely free from accusations of bias, that the Miami Dolphins walked away with my favorite draft class and therefore my highest draft grade in the league. I don’t see any other way around that. But, I’ve decided not to give letter grades. Below is a pick-by-pick analysis of what I think about each player’s positives and negatives, where they fit with Miami, and I’ll kick off with a parable of my draft day reaction to their selection.

Pick #12: DE Jared Odrick, Penn State

My Reaction: “I hope they take Jerry Hughes. C’mon, Jerry Hughes! JERRI-!!! Jerri-…Jared Odrick? Huh. That’s interesting. Really good player. Why not Hughes? Odrick’s darn good but that surprises me.”

Positives: Odrick possesses a rare blend of size, frame and quickness. He moves on his feet and uses his long arms to occupy blockers and get by them. He has snap-to-whistle motor and the consistent ability to hustle quickly to the play down the field. He has natural knee bend and plays behind his pads, which gives him good pad level, quickness and explosion, while simultaneously decreasing area for a blocker to target. He protects his feet well. His getup off the snap is quick enough to consistently be a pass rush threat. He shows strength in his swipes and hand use, and really puts his long arms to advantage when pass rushing. Rare agility for his size, he can free himself with spin moves and/or retrace like a man much smaller. He possesses the ideal build with good length, base, and reach. He possesses the absolute ideal stamina. He can play literally every snap of a physically demanding game, and you would not be able to tell apart his fourth quarter snaps from his first quarter snaps. I have yet to see him take a play off or pull up from a play without hustling. He has ideal work ethic and character, and was the unquestioned leader of the defense.

Negatives: He didn’t keep his shoulders square very much in Penn State’s scheme as he was more of a penetrator. He played so far behind his pads that he was left unbalanced, and went to ground too often. He doesn’t lead with his hands off the snap enough and will need to learn to get a quicker punch into a blocker. He can lose the play in the backfield and needs to do a better job of tracking the play.

The Fit: Odrick has been correctly described as the most prototypical 3-4 Defensive End prospect in this draft. He is a full 6’5” and 304 lbs with ideal long arms (34+ inches), just under 10 inch hands, sub-5.0 speed, and good agility (7.22 cone drill). He played a lot of 1-Technique in college, where he was able to simultaneously stop the run and penetrate against the pass. His 7.0 sacks and 11.0 TFLs speak to his ability to penetrate and make plays in the backfield. The Dolphins will use him in pass rush formations where he could kick inside, but he will also start as a 3-4 Defensive End. As my colleague Richard would probably tell you, the Penn State strength program often leaves prospects a little underwhelming in the weight room. With a lot of work in the Dolphins’ demanding but effective strength program, and if the Dolphins’ coaches are able to work on some of his flaws, he has the same kind of potential as a Ndamukong Suh or Gerald McCoy. The biggest controversy about this fit is the move of Randy Starks to the Nose Tackle position. I have to say that I am all for it. It was a possibility that I raised months ago. Everywhere you go, you always hear that the nose tackle is the most important position in a 3-4 defense. Personally, I believe that front offices have always had a funny way of showing that theory, but if we were to assume that the hypothesis is 100 percent true, then why wouldn’t you put your best defensive lineman at the position of most import? Randy Starks has developed into an extremely good defensive lineman. I am not even sure that this can be attributed fully to scheme change, as I believe that you could put him back in the Tennessee Titans’ 4-3 scheme tomorrow and he would be just as good. He has a good body type, a big base, he’s not overly lengthy or narrow. He has played on the nose before and did well. If the nose position is more important than the end position, then this move makes a lot of sense. Some claim that this is robbing Peter to pay Paul, but if the NT position is much more important than the DE position, then as I said on draft day this is more robbing Peter the Poff to pay Paul the Mobster. You have to view the situation fluidly, and I am glad the Dolphins agree. Jared Odrick is a better 3-4 End prospect than guys like Dan Williams, Linval Joseph and Cam Thomas were as Nose prospects.

Picks 2-7 Here:

http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/04/2 ... s-wrap-up/

Is this CK Parrothead???

Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:57 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Great insight and analysis. I was excited about watching these guys over the offseason, but after reading this i'm extremely excited to see the battles for all of our LB positions. This is going to be a great offseason, to watch these rooks fight for spots on the roster. Especially in the LBing core. I think all this competition is exactly what we needed to get out D ready for the season.

Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]