View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
 Breaking down Odrick at the Sr. Bowl 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Breaking down Odrick at the Sr. Bowl
Well, I don't have any tape of Penn St. games, but I do have the Sr. Bowl still on my DVR and some notes that I have from the practices. Here's a little breakdown of Odrick as I watch the game again before tonight's 2nd and 3rd rounds...

Play 1: Quick screen, however, Odrick sheds block of John Jerry (very talented OG who Miami loves), and gets to Tebow very quickly.
Play 2: Concentrated on clogging up passing lane. Did a good job of gaining position.
3: Might have gotten a tip on the throw, hard to tell. Jerry handled him though. Lost his balance early on and was not able to recover (recurring problem with him).
4: Good spin move and awareness to put pressure on Tebow, forces bad throw.

5: Doubled teamed, got pushed out of the way a little, but did a good job getting back in the play and he was in on the tackle.
6: OG got away with a hold. Odrick got int he backfield QUICK and destrupts the play.
7: Got rid of Jerry with strength and quickness, got to Tebow quickly.
8: Doubled teamed, but was able to get rid of it fairly well. It was a reverse so no chance to make a play.
9: Stretch play, didn't really have a shot but did a real nice job exploding through a double team.
10: Jerry handled him on the single team. Concentrated more on closing down passing lane. He's been trying the same move too often...
11: Did a nice job getting up the field, but it was a draw right up the middle, so no chance, maybe a little over aggressive.

12: Bit on a play action and lost his leverage.
13: Bit on the play action again, had no idea where the ball was (QB had it on draw play), but did a nice job getting rid of blocker.
14: Draws holding penalty....Great play by Odrick. Displayed really good athleticism and quickness on the play to get rid of blocker with an out-inside stunt move.
15: Completely disrupted the play...Took double team and completely took away the screen pass. Great play.

16: Takes double team, splits it, helps make tackle for no gain. Great play.
17: Collapses pocket and had it not been for the help of the RB, he would have gotten all the way to the QB. Good play.
18: Shifts over to the 2-technique and got pushed off the ball a little bit...this is the reason he IS NOT a NT.
18: Takes double team, loses balance, falls down. Away from the play anyway as it was a toss to the opposite side of the field.
19: Outside stunt move that did nothing. Gave QB wide open throwing lane. Didn't like that effort.

20: GREAT play. Takes double team and completely disrupts the run play as he splits it and gets into the backfield QUICKLY.
21: Again loses his balance, nearly ends up on the ground.
22: Got stoned by double team.
23: TRIPLE teamed. Completely stoned, but considering it was 3 guys, I can understand.
24: Got fooled by the play action. Had it been a toss, would have been there to make play. Did a nice job splitting the double team though.
25: Got handled by a single block. Looks tired.

26: GREAT play! Took John Jerry, said get the hell off of me, and forced the fumble and picks up a sack.
27: Fooled on the hand off, got taken out of the play.
28: Did well to get rid of one blocker, but got chopped blocked by the TE. Good job getting rid of OG though.

29: Double teamed...Looks winded. Didn't make much of an effort.
30: Nice play. Had it not been for the help of the RB, he gets into the backfield. Does a nice job disrupting the pocket though.
31: Spin move, gets into the backfield just too late. Decent move combining finesse and power.
32: Ran a QB spy...not much to the play.
33: Did not show play, instead showed interview....
34: Bad play...completely lost balance before he even got touched.

35: Double team...handled.
36: Got taken out of the play by his own teammate. Cam Thomas crashed right into him as they both ran spin moves towards each other. Lol. Actually got nicked up and came out of the game...

And that's that. I noticed towards the end of the game it seemed he got a little tired. A recurring theme with him is that he lost balance due to over aggressiveness and bad technique. He flashed tremendous ability at times though. I don't see him as a 34 NT though. Don't see the ability to hold the POA and stuff the run.

One thing I want to mention is how good Cam Thomas was. He pushed the pocket unbelievably well all night long...displayed some great qualities as far as a 34 NT position requirements are concerned.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:35 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Breaking down Odrick at the Sr. Bowl
Do you really keep tapes and write notes about players when watching games?

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:44 pm

joeschmoe wrote:

Just of the senior bowl.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Something tells me Ireland and Parcells might have a little better grasp on this then you do Sport.

When your an NFL game analyst, I'll take some stock in your posts.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:51 pm
Phinfever Live! Radio Host

We all have to start somewhere, right?

Thanks PR

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:52 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Phin wrote:
Something tells me Ireland and Parcells might have a little better grasp on this then you do Sport.

The analysts barely have a clue when it comes to the draft, its really a crapshoot. How funny was it that they kept showing Kiper's board with clausen at the top

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Listen up everybody. One play in one game is the entire reason he is not a nose tackle and never will be.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:56 pm

Iowafin wrote:
Listen up everybody. One play in one game is the entire reason he is not a nose tackle and never will be.

There were several plays in there. If you want me to bold and put in large text every single one, I will gladly do so, (actually not so gladly). But just an example.

There were a couple of plays where he was lined up in a 2 technique right near the center, but not right on the ball, took the double team and got pushed around. There were times we he split the DT but most of the time he was getting pushed off the line. If he was in a NT position, the offense would be getting 7-8 yards a pop with ease.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:58 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think Odrick can play NT no problem... pushes the pocket and took on double teams..

Lets see what the Dolphins do in this draft--- if they pick another DT/NT then perhaps Odrick is looked to play more at DE.... if Dolphins dont-- i think its fair to assume that Odrick would be pushing for that starting job...(depending on if they keep Starks at DE)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:01 pm

Phin wrote:

Most people did not get to watch the Sr. Bowl, or just did not watch with a specific eye on Odrick.

Just thought some would like a little recap of his play there.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Phins Rock wrote:
Phin wrote:

Most people did not get to watch the Sr. Bowl, or just did not watch with a specific eye on Odrick.

Just thought some would like a little recap of his play there.

PR, I'm just busting your chops. Simma downa naa. :ann0y:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:08 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Phins Rock wrote:
joeschmoe wrote:

Just of the senior bowl.

Pretty impressive, JP. If you ever get a job for a South Florida paper and cover the Fins, be sure to pimp Phinfever whenever you get a chance;)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Phin wrote:

Not necessary man .... :boo:

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:40 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

gatorfins11 wrote:
I think Odrick can play NT no problem... pushes the pocket and took on double teams..

Lets see what the Dolphins do in this draft--- if they pick another DT/NT then perhaps Odrick is looked to play more at DE.... if Dolphins dont-- i think its fair to assume that Odrick would be pushing for that starting job...(depending on if they keep Starks at DE)

This regime has been known to "double down" on players. I think there was an article that was written specifically about picking to players at the same position in back to back rounds.

PS: I like the Odrick pick. Can never have enough depth along the offense and defense lines. Just got another young player.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:47 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

J.P. I appreciate you taking the time to post all that up, man.
I didn't get a chance to watch it either, so it is nice to get a recap.

You put a lot of work in that, and I think it's pretty sad that other Dolphin fans -whom you're just trying to hook-up with info- would come in here and rag on you like you're a :jests: fan just because they didn't agree with your opinion (which you ARE entitled to) at the end.

Poor form Fellas.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:51 pm
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

Bones wrote:
J.P. I appreciate you taking the time to post all that up, man.
I didn't get a chance to watch it either, so it is nice to get a recap.

You put a lot of work in that, and I think it's pretty sad that other Dolphin fans -whom you're just trying to hook-up with info- would come in here and rag on you like you're a :jests: fan just because they didn't agree with your opinion (which you ARE entitled to) at the end.

Poor form Fellas.

very well said bones.
thanks jp for the insight man. your hard work and diligence is appreciated bro.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:03 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

You're very obviously new here. PR is famous for making proclamations from on high. This isn't something new. You may want to hang around a bit before trying to set the rules for decorum.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
2011 NFL Survival Champ
2011 NFL Survival Champ

eleaf wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

You're very obviously new here. PR is famous for making proclamations from on high. This isn't something new. You may want to hang around a bit before trying to set the rules for decorum.

i've been here for a minute and i happen to have found the snub necessarily rude. one is entitled to their opinion whether it is mutually agreed upon or not. and if it is not agreed upon, debate it in assertive manner, sans the passive-aggressive sarcasm. just my .02 though

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:30 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

eleaf wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:
Phin wrote:

So what if he's new.... I've been here since like 2004 and I don't treat anyone like that.
Neither does Big Dave.... and last time I checked, HE sets "the rules for decorum"

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:35 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

I found it ironic that the write-up mentioned Odrick and John Jerry battling it out and now they just became teammates at the next level.

Obviously our staff tried to take advantage of the close look they got at these players in being one of the units selected to coach at the Sr. Bowl....... evidently they saw some things they liked.

Perhaps we'll draft some more guys tomorrow that they took a sniff at during that process.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:40 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I've been here awhile and found the remark rude. I actually enjoyed the breakdown of the plays. Unfortunately the guy that Odrick was throwing around like a rag doll...was just our 3rd round pick :cry: Either Odrick is a beast or Jerry would've been there a few rounds later.

BTW...don't say this 10 times fast "Odrick pick"

Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
BTW...don't say this 10 times fast "Odrick pick"

:)

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Jerry would've been there a few rounds later.

Exactly, it was a reach at beast.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:26 pm

Really so was OG Asamoah a reach for KC at 4 or Veldheer at 5th...... Jerry was rated better in mocks. Could have gone in the second.....Anyway's "Baby J" (ROFL) will have to get used to the heat in the MIA. Say's he's never been to Miami.

Anyway's, I don't think it was a reach.

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:38 pm
Profile YIM
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Thanks for posting all of this JP

Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]