View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 NFL.com ranks Cam Wake as #2 edge rusher 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post NFL.com ranks Cam Wake as #2 edge rusher
Quote:
All-Pros: Robert Quinn, Cameron Wake, Aldon Smith, Robert Mathis, DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews

Quinn's speed ranks with the early-career versions of Jevon Kearse and Dwight Freeney as the best we've witnessed from a defensive end. He and Mathis are masters of the strip sack, combining for 17 forced fumbles last season.

As Gregg Rosenthal recently pointed out, Wake might be the NFL's best pass rusher since the start of the 2010 season. He should be a household name.

Smith might be on the sidelines with a suspension once the season kicks off, but it's hard to find fault with his on-field work. He's averaged a sack per game since entering the league in 2012. Mathis was a Defensive Player of the Year finalist last season at age 32. That bodes well for Ware's bounce-back prospects at age 31. Before a nagging quadriceps injury rendered him ineffective, Ware still displayed his trademark lightning-quick first step early last season.
Matthews' effectiveness waned last season while playing through a thumb injury. He has Defensive Player of the Year potential in a revamped and suddenly loaded Packers defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... _wesseling

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Wake voted top edge rusher in the AFC
http://www.thefinsiders.com/blog/2014/w ... 1403205842

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: NFL.com ranks Cam Wake as #2 edge rusher
He is one of the elite DEs in the league, the question is, for how much longer.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:19 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Post Re: NFL.com ranks Cam Wake as #2 edge rusher
Finster, I agree with the sentiment.... but I think Wake has another 3-4 years of dominance left.

Remember that he does not have as much wear on the tires as other 30+ year olds. He was out of the game for a bit, early in his 20s, and then played in the CFL, which has a shorter season over all, and "shorter" games, since they only play 3 downs.... defensive wear is significantly lower.

He is an absolutely physical monster. I can not foresee Wake slowing down on his "body sculpting" any time soon, and its not like he is running down field 45 yards on routes. His position deals with burst speed, more so than lingering endurance. I believe any loss in his step due to age would be minor over the coming years...

And with our talent building on the opposite end, i can see a late half career boom similar to Dwight Freeny who seems to have gotten better in his 30s

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]