View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Should we sign a C? 
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Should we sign a C?
Imo the Dolphins have a huge mountain to climb this preseason, the offensive line, there will be 5 new starters from last year, our starting pro bowl C is down indefinitely at this point, and was going to be counted on like a foundation stone with this new line, now we have to scramble to try and fill that role.

This is going to be a huge task to get these guys all in sync, and what of the offense during this struggling, they won't be able to get a good rhythm going, timing will probably be a problem, the lack of continuity on the line will lead to a lack of continuity for the entire offense.

There could not be a worse time for this injury imo, this O line will be a huge mountain to climb for this team, and the odds seem stacked against them, so should we just go out and sign the best C available?

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Should we sign a C?
Signing a center wont solve the problems you mentioned there will still be five new starters

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If it's going to happen, it will be ASAP with training camp starting this week. These guys need as much reps together as possible to be successful as a unit.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
There could not be a worse time for this injury imo,

I appreciate the sentiment of your post, and I do think it would be wise to sign a C for depth, at least. However, At least this happened this early, when there might be some players out there to look for over the next month or so. If it happened in week one, we'd be even more trouble, IMO.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think it's serious, and I say "yes" but who do we add?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:37 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yes, I also agree it would be smart to have a contingent plan at center and snatching up an experienced veteran. Dan Koppen is the one guy I had hoped for, BUT, I am not sure if he fits the zone blocking scheme. His age of 34 doesn't bother me as he has given snaps to the likes of Brady and Manning (although only training camp) and performed at a high level throughout his career until he of course got injured. Don't know what kind of shape he is in, but read he is coaching HS football in Rhode Island. The bottom line is once the pads go on in a few days and the moment the coaching staff senses a lack of cohesiveness on the line, I sure hope they grab that plug and play veteran.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:11 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

I would say "NO".

I think the Fins have done the right thing with Collidge. I would sign another GUARD, if i were to make the calls.

One of the best things about Pouncey's game was the fact that he was/is athletic enough to Pull and get to the second level.

I am not sure there are many Centers in the game today that can do that, and I think that a replacement guard/center playing the first 6 weeks is going to handicap the run game, at least play design wise.

I am CERTAIN that there is not a center on the market right now that can get to the second level like Pouncey can, obviously there is not going to be anyone out there that can plug in and be Pouncey.

Whichever direction is taken, It is going to be to "mask" the gapping hole created by Pouncey.

My opinion would be to sign ANOTHER guard. I think Brenner or Gardner can slip to center for the time being. They are both athletic enough, but I am not sure if they are smart enough to do all the proper adjustments. Either way there is going to be a step back.

At this point, I feel that it is a matter of finding the best 5 guys to start the season. I believe that most of our interior linemen are versatile enough to play all 3 positions, or at least in the Philbin mantra, should be adequate at such.

Hence I would hate to see that we found our "replacement" center... at the cost of a starting right or left Guard. I would definitely open the door for another guard.... if not for depth alone.

Dallas, Billy, Gardner, Brenner, Collidge, and smith..... that's 6 guys for 3 positions. 4 of which have game experience... only 1 veteran. While youth is an advantage, i do not see a backup plan barring an injury, and theres 6 weeks til the opener.

Strike now.... And I think there would be more options for a FA guard, than the cast of Centers on the market. Satale or Koppen..... and they already brought Satale in and passed....time to open up the search

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:02 am

I do understand your point Skyhigh, and in theory it's a good plan, however, I think your underestimating the center-quaterback exchange, it's not so simple to just get a guard and teach him how to snap, it's a very overlooked, critical part of the offense and not just anybody can do it, even when the QB is under C, it seems simple but a C snaps the ball the same way every time, like a machine, when it's off a bit you can get the old fumbled exchange.

After that is the real tough deal for a C, shotgun..., we will run a ton of shotgun and you don't want anything but perfect accuracy in the shotgun and it's not so easy to master, so just trying to plug a G in there isn't a great idea, there are Gs that do make the transformation but that is based more on having THAT G that does translate as opposed to just trying to switch a G.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:02 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

According to Pro Football Talk. com we are going to start Shelley Smith in training camp at C. Only problem with this is HE'S NEVER PLAYED CENTER AT ANY LEVEL!!!! What the hell are we doing? Didn't we sign a veteran this offseason? why can't he line up at center and put Smith in there to be an emergency option?

Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:38 am

Going into camp with a C thats never played C, are they trying to sabotage the team for crying out loud.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:46 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Dolphins have moved RG Shelley Smith to center.
Smith has "never played center at any level," but the Dolphins are prioritizing run blocking on the pivot with incumbent C Mike Pouncey sidelined until midseason. Daryn Colledge is expected to fill the left guard spot, with Nate Garner, Dallas Thomas, and rookie Billy Turner competing opposite him. The Dolphins' starting tackles are Branden Albert and first-round pick Ja'Wuan James.
-Andrew Abramson

Fri Jul 25, 2014 1:28 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Finster wrote:
Going into camp with a C thats never played C, are they trying to sabotage the team for crying out loud.

I'm with you, Finster. I am very concerned about the middle of our offensive line.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:17 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

That is a bold move, but I think the Dolphins believe they need size and power at the position. NOW is the time to look at Smith to see if he can handle the position.

TOO much on the line for this regime to be sabotaging a season. Smith must have shown them the ability to make the move.

Last edited by phinsfansc on Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Brenner and Larsen should be fallback options if Smith can't do it.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
TOO much on the line for this regime to be sabotaging a season. Smith must have shown them the ability to make the move.

We are talking about the Miami Dolphins Tony. The pads are JUST going on now. We shall see if Smith can hold that middle down. Sure hope so as this offensive line once again is the critical key to how this season goes.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:25 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It IS a scramble at this point...and they are going to give everything a look. Day 2 of Camp went well enough for Smith to snap again today, IMO.

Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]