View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 OT - Tony Dungy's sad, embarrassing world 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post OT - Tony Dungy's sad, embarrassing world
Quote:
Steve Rosenbloom The RosenBlog

8:49 a.m. EDT, July 22, 2014

Let me get this right: A man who wants to love another man is worse than a man who pays for and revels in killing a bunch of dogs for sport.

Welcome to Tony Dungy’s world. That’s some talking head NBC Sports has, huh?

In Dungy’s world, Michael Sam represents a distraction because he is an openly gay football player trying to make the Rams roster as a sixth-round draft pick.

In Dungy’s world, Michael Vick can come out of prison after 18 months for running a dogfighting operation and into Dungy’s ministerial arms as a mentor, and everything’s OK. Except it’s not OK. ...

Why would Dungy champion Vick but isolate Sam? Because Vick embraced Dungy’s ministry while Sam is gay.

Calling Sam a distraction is lame and cowardly for a man who suddenly sounds like he’s hiding his Christian beliefs in a way he hasn’t for the last five or 10 years. Dungy has no use for equality when it involves gay love, an unevolved point of view he has made clear repeatedly. ...

“We’re not trying to downgrade anyone else,’’ Dungy said. http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=2808705 “But we’re trying to promote the family --- family values the Lord’s way.’’

But of course you were trying to downgrade someone else. Banning two people from getting married simply because they’re of the same sex is downgrading them, plain and simple. Your religious beliefs demand it. Your religious beliefs presumably continue to demand that to this day you downgrade men who love men and women who love women. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/dung ... 252.column

Well just for clarity I think he was taken in the 7th not the 6th round.

If Dungy was speaking as a head coach, which I think he was, then given the made for television media event of the 7th round Sam pick, then I agree with not needing the distraction. I am as unevloved as Dungy and will remain so. There are more than a few actions and attitudes that NFL players have that I have unevolved opinions about that would not be a choice for me. However, in general, if a player has talent to succeed in the NFL then I would want him on the team. Including Sam.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:37 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: OT - Tony Dungy's sad, embarrassing world
Didn't Dungy just come out and say that interview is old and it was done when the Oprah reality show was in play?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:15 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Well, Dungy isn't saying Sam shouldn't, or should not be allowed to play, he was just stating a fact, it is a lot of attention for a 7th round pick, based on his sexuality, obviously that is going to be at least somewhat of a distraction and any distraction is not good.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:45 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing about Michael Sam. Just play football.

Quote:
“I gave my honest answer, which is that I felt drafting him would bring much distraction to the team,” Dungy says.

“I was not asked whether or not Michael Sam deserves an opportunity to play in the NFL. He absolutely does.

“I was not asked whether his sexual orientation should play a part in the evaluation process. It should not.

“I was not asked whether I would have a problem having Michael Sam on my team. I would not.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -comments/

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:43 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Sam is not Jadaveon Clowney. Clowney could be a gay husband beater and every NFL team would want him. Dungy simply said what 31 teams thought................a player of Sam's limited ability is not worth the distraction.

It must be tough being a public figure.......make a benign statement like Dungy's and have a bunch of pariahs like Rosenbloom waiting to twist your words and defame your reputation.

While I'm on my high horse, the LGBT community and their supporters expect the rest of the world to respect and support their lifestyles.....Fine...........but this Country was founded with a deep faith in God. It's unfortunate, we now live in a society that increasingly discredits the religious as ignorant and intolerant. If you want me to respect you and your beliefs........then do the same for me..........even when our beliefs contradict.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:13 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Sam is not worth the distraction. If was good, teams would deal with it just like they deal with players like Gordon and others who are constantly in trouble. I'm not saying Sam is trouble, he just sucks.....umm

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:20 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Michael Sam is GAY!!!!

It is the only reason why his first name, and last name are even mentioned together on ANY NFL forum, or media outlet.

If he was a GOOD prospect, a GOOD player, with a GOOD pedigree..... he would have been drafted ALOT earlier. I am not saying that there arent any gems in the late rounds, there definitely are. But NO ONE EVER is talking about 5th/6th/7th round talent before the pads go on in August!!

Seriously, who even knew the name Tom Brady until he stepped in for Bledsoe? I would say maybe Pats fans, and Michigan fans that follow the Wolverines consistently.

Who knew who Zach Thomas was before he actually cracked the starting line-up?

Who knew who undrafted Miles Austin was before he actually started catching 40 yard TDs?

The answer is.... maybe 2% of the football audience. So why are we even talking about Michael Sam? We are talking about Michael Sam, the gay NFL player, the distraction....... which, guess what?, IS MAKING HIM A DISTRACTION!!!

Dungy is absolutely correct. It is not a matter of football, prejudice, or anything else. The fact is..... Michael Sam is the Tim Tebow show for the Rainbow community. Enjoy it!

Good luck to him. I hope he makes the team. I hope he sticks around in the league and can make something of himself. But the honest truth is.... Most 5th/6th/7th round picks end up out of the league before their 4th season. They are August wonders playing in a new uniform each year, and on game day will sit there on the sidelines in street clothes.

When Labor Day comes around, will anyone even be thinking about the guy? Doubt it!

And this is not a matter of whether he sleeps with chicks, or sleeps with dudes. Its literally just a matter of is he any good. Odds are..... NOPE. So is the distraction even worth it? Playing the odds would say..... collectively..... NOPE

Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:43 pm
Honorary BILLS Fan
Honorary BILLS Fan

Meh. The guy is doing something that really has not been done before. Therefore it is newsworthy, especially in society that still has a problem with homosexuality. Good for him to brave enough to say who he is. I am sure it is not easy - and I doubt most of us understand what it is like.

A person like Dungy who has preached tolerance and understanding should get that. It is not like Vick was not a distraction because he sure as heck was

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

DrLecter wrote:

A person like Dungy who has preached tolerance and understanding should get that. It is not like Vick was not a distraction because he sure as heck was

This has nothing to do with tolerance. Its about a coaching mentality of trying to get a team ready for a season & having the distraction of being ask and the players being ask about a marginal player on a non related football issue. Vick was a superstar proven commodity. Sams is not.

Plus this interview was done soon after the draft when the reality show was in the works.. I'm sure Dungy felt at this time that Sams was pushing the non football issue which again would have been a distraction. Teams generally do not put up with distractions from non vital players.

Probably one of the reason Kluwe issue is going on.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:28 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Listen, the very fact that this is a topic of discussion any where proves Tony Dungy is right.

He barely said anything at all. He answered a question & it became NATIONAL NEWS! Insanity.

Everything Michael Sam does will be instantly controversial, this "issue" shows exactly how, & therefor isn't great for a team, coach, or organization.

We have no idea how things are going to play out with team mates & in the locker room. So as a coach, Mr Dungy wouldn't want to deal with that in case it does goes south.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:02 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I can see it now.

Blocking Michael Sam and not allowing him to rack up sacks will be deemed homophobic and banned by the NFL.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:22 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

Rich wrote:
I can see it now.

Blocking Michael Sam and not allowing him to rack up sacks will be deemed homophobic and banned by the NFL.

Wonder if there's a Tight End in the league that's up for the job? BADDA BUMP. I'm going to hell, I know.

I'm fine with him being gay, that's his right. Personally I think it's wrong, but who am I to judge him for that. Just like it's Tony Dungy's right to say what little he did say. It's another example of over hyped ignorance on the mainstreams part to stir people's emotions about something that shouldn't matter.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I can see it now.

LOL Rich. Michael Sam will be lucky to make the final roster. And if he does the only people he will be tackling will be on special teams. But more likely is a spot on the practice squad. What a circus for a marginal player.

Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:07 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Steve Zissou wrote:
Listen, the very fact that this is a topic of discussion any where proves Tony Dungy is right.

He barely said anything at all. He answered a question & it became NATIONAL NEWS! Insanity.

Everything Michael Sam does will be instantly controversial, this "issue" shows exactly how, & therefor isn't great for a team, coach, or organization.

We have no idea how things are going to play out with team mates & in the locker room. So as a coach, Mr Dungy wouldn't want to deal with that in case it does goes south.

Dont you miss the days when the media covered the game rather than the side shows....

Hack reporters looking for anything to get some attention... :boo:

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:09 am
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

10acjed wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

Dont you miss the days when the media covered the game rather than the side shows....

*claps*

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:40 am

10acjed wrote:

Who are the hacks, the reporters that bring those stories or the people that like to read and hear about them, driving the work of the reporters.

Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:41 am
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]