View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Phins Ryan Tannehill ranked as bottom 10 QB by Ron Jaworski 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Phins Ryan Tannehill ranked as bottom 10 QB by Ron Jaworski
Quote:
Ron Jaworski sees a dichotomy in the play of Miami Dolphins quarterback Ryan Tannehill.

I really expected more out of Tannehill last season. Like I did with RG III, I loved what I saw his rookie season and thought he was a potential superstar. In 2013 he held on to the ball too long and wasn't decisive with his reads. To be fair, he also had a historically bad offensive line blocking for him and was sacked 58 times (10 more than any other QB). That certainly had an impact. I think Bill Lazor will help him with an up-tempo offense, and Tannehill should be improved this season.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2014/7/21/5 ... qb-by-espn

Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:53 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Phins Ryan Tannehill ranked as bottom 10 QB by Ron Jaworski
I agree until he starts getting rid of the ball sooner...

Some guys just never improve on that and it causes a downward spiral.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:33 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Hard to.get open when teams dont respect the run and the receivers line up the same every play. Should he throw into coverage? I dont think he ran enough. If theres is so,ething to gripe about with him its that.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I also have Tanne as a bottom 3rd QB, until he does something to prove he isn't it's hard not to, his QB rating is also bottom 3rd, and the old QB rating is still the most accurate imo, it's not 100%, nothing is, but I think it's still the most accurate QB rating system.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Always love these type comments.

Quote:
To be fair, he also had a historically bad offensive line blocking

I'm going to say he sucked, but to be fair he was under attack the whole time so I'm going to knock him because I expect him to overcome his blocking. Its pretty much proven, bad blocking leads to be Qb play. It throws off the timing and even on a play it is good the Qb is still rushing to get rid of the ball.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:14 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Jaworski also loved John Beck and Kevin Kolb.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:43 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

TD/INT ratio is also a telling FACT. I know, some on here wiil say perspective and they were at the end of the game blah blah blah. A good QB doesn't need to throw hailmary's at the end of the game, they have the game wrapped up by then. On that note, no run game and no OL spells disaster. I want to see him this year with a running game and a improved OL. Third year is a telling year.

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Jaworski also loved John Beck and Kevin Kolb.

Haha! Well played sir.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:38 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I think Tannehill has top 10 talent but has provided bottom 10 numbers which leads me to believe he's really somewhere in the middle. Some of those numbers are not his fault.

I don't think you need an elite QB to win a Super Bowl as evidenced recently by Eli Manning, Joe Flacco and Russell Wilson (sorry, he's a prime example of what used to win a decade ago). Therefore I'm not bailing on Tannehill unless he's more Chad Henne than Joe Flacco.

Not getting my hopes up that he'll ever be Aaron Rodgers or Drew Brees.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:44 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

jammer wrote:
Some of those numbers are not his fault.

If you removed all of the drops, his QB rating would be around 85.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:22 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:
Some of those numbers are not his fault.

If you removed all of the drops, his QB rating would be around 85.

The Phins were just below the NFL average of 25.5 drops/ '13 season with 24. Hartline had a funky game in Buffalo, but I thought the team did pretty good holding on to the ball last season.

Anyway, I hope the excuses are removed this year and we can see if Tanny's the real deal.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Receiving&range=NFL&rank=232

Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:23 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Its pretty much proven, bad blocking leads to be Qb play. It throws off the timing and even on a play it is good the Qb is still rushing to get rid of the ball.

Yep, I don't get the criticism. It's hard to prove yourself when someone has a hand on your jersey.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:10 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I tend to agree, right now Tanny's in the bottom 3rd for QB's............but the guy came out of college a year early, played about one season as a starting college QB and has been under Sherman since College. I'm not sure if he'll reach the level of Manning, Brady, Brees or Rogers, but he has the tools to get in that 2nd tier with Rothlisberger, Rivers & Ryan.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:22 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

shularino wrote:
but the guy came out of college a year early, played about one season as a starting college QB and has been under Sherman since College.

He didn't come out early, just didn't start as a QB until a few games into his junior year. Played the whole senior season.

And the Sherman factor doesn't appear to be a positive.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:20 pm

My question is, if Tanne has indecisive read issues, is having a faster paced offense going to help or sink him?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well if the reads are easier and I thought that was one of the parts of this O maybe it will help.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:51 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AQNOR wrote:
Well if the reads are easier and I thought that was one of the parts of this O maybe it will help.

I thought this was the point as well. I also think they are going to have Tannehill throwing on the run more, something that surprisingly benefited Foles with bootlegs and broken plays.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:15 pm

shularino wrote:
The Phins were just below the NFL average of 25.5 drops/ '13 season with 24. Hartline had a funky game in Buffalo, but I thought the team did pretty good holding on to the ball last season.

The Dolphins had 33 drops putting them at 10th.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

I didn't realize it was that high..........it seemed like the Phins had pretty good hands last year, especially when you compare it to the Ginn years. The site I referenced had them at 24 drops last year, but I'm not vouching for the accuracy of their numbers. Out of curiosity, what source is providing the 33 drops.

You may know this Rich...........are drops an official stat like errors in baseball or are they a subjective to the reporting site. Not to greatly burden you this evening, but is there an official clarification for a drop.... i.e. if a pass is knocked loose by a linebacker's hit or if a reciever gets two hands on a ball, but the pass was thrown well behind him and the ball was not caught........would those be considered drops?

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
shularino wrote:
but the guy came out of college a year early, played about one season as a starting college QB and has been under Sherman since College.

He didn't come out early, just didn't start as a QB until a few games into his junior year. Played the whole senior season.

And the Sherman factor doesn't appear to be a positive.

You are correct, Tanny was a Sr; however, he was red shirted his first year, and there was some thought he would return to the Aggies for another year. Good move not to, imagine coming back only to be benched for Manziel.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:39 pm

shularino wrote:
Rich wrote:
shularino wrote:

I didn't realize it was that high..........it seemed like the Phins had pretty good hands last year, especially when you compare it to the Ginn years. The site I referenced had them at 24 drops last year, but I'm not vouching for the accuracy of their numbers. Out of curiosity, what source is providing the 33 drops.

You may know this Rich...........are drops an official stat like errors in baseball or are they a subjective to the reporting site. Not to greatly burden you this evening, but is there an official clarification for a drop.... i.e. if a pass is knocked loose by a linebacker's hit or if a reciever gets two hands on a ball, but the pass was thrown well behind him and the ball was not caught........would those be considered drops?

PFF, I don't know how exactly they define drops, but I remember some pretty bad hands games last season, especially from Mike Wallace.

Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:45 pm

AQNOR wrote:

Well, when a WR is doing a down and in, the QB has to read when is the best time to throw the ball, Tanne has been indecisive making these types of reads, he has trouble throwing open, as the term goes, he likes to see the player open as opposed to reading the players open, this is why he is considered to be indecisive.

From what I understand Lazor's offense counts on the QB to make that read quickly and deliver the ball, I just wonder if it will help or hurt him, he has had his troubles with as Philbin likes to say, "letting it rip", and again from what I understand "letting it rip" is what Lazor's offense is about, pretty much all WCOs are about that.

Time will tell, and that times is coming fast, can't wait for TC.

Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

He certainly has room to improve. He needs to use his mobility to make plays and he needs to do a better job of sensing pressure and being more accurate.

That said, HE NEEDS AN OL that will not allow over 50 sacks and NUMEROUS hits. If the OL play improve, I think he improves.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]