View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Dolphins need to do a better job drafting young talent. 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins need to do a better job drafting young talent.
Even more reason for the Dolphins to do a better job of drafting. With the way salaries are getting and the hard cap (which I am in favor of), you cannot keep every star on your team. You need to have players that you drafted able to step up to start when you lose a free agent. I am not against going out and getting a free agent to help your team, but teams that do this consistently as we have shows an ability to waste draft picks. I am hopeful that this year's draft class makes a big difference down the road for us.

Quote:
Saints make Graham league's highest-paid TE

Saints signed TE Jimmy Graham to a four-year, $40 million contract that contains $21 million guaranteed.Deadlines spur action. The two sides agreed to the deal hours before the 4 PM ET deadline on Tuesday afternoon. Graham is now the league's highest-paid tight end at $10 million per year, besting Rob Gronkowski's $9 million annual rate. His $21 million guaranteed is $5 million more than Jared Cook and Dennis Pitta recently received from the Rams and Ravens, respectively. Graham is now locked up through his age-31 season and remains fantasy's top tight end. Jul 15 - 9:05 AM

Quote:
Dolphins signed LT Branden Albert, formerly of the Chiefs, to a five-year, $46 million contract.

The deal includes a whopping $25 million guaranteed. It's a huge price to pay for a player who's always been short of elite, but the Dolphins had essentially no choice considering the beating Ryan Tannehill took in 2013. Albert has missed seven games with injury over the past two seasons, but will stabilize the Dolphins' blindside when he's on the field. He turns 30 in November.

Quote:
Mike Wallace's five-year, $60 million contract includes an $11 million signing bonus and $37.85 million over the first three seasons.Wallace has $27 million fully guaranteed -- the signing bonus, a $1 million base salary in 2013, and all of his $15 million base salary in 2014. Per the Palm Beach Post's Ben Volin, Wallace's $9.85 million base salary for 2015 becomes fully guaranteed if he's on the Dolphins' roster as of the fifth day of the new league year in 2014, so it's essentially guaranteed as well. Wallace has non-guaranteed base salaries of $11.45 million in 2016 and 2017.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:22 am
Profile WWW
2014 Survival Champ
2014 Survival Champ

Post Re: Dolphins need to do a better job drafting young talent.
Bad drafting snow balls. Miami passed on Graham for Jerry, because they feel in love with the overweight guard at the Senior Bowl. They could have had their TE for the next decade, but passed on him. Then they now have to fill both positions after Jerry proved to be big, fat & lazy.

It order to take the next step Miami has to hit & I do not mean serviceable starters, but quality starters.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:53 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Simply have to hope that they made the correct calls on big names like Tannehill, Clay, Jordan, Vernon, etc.

Overpaying "serviceable starters", as Dphins said, isn't a sign that you've drafted well. Simply shows you are lacking evaluation skills on multiple levels.

I must say that I am excited to see what kind of a jump some of the young talent makes this Fall. Obviously Tannehill is the one we'll all focus on but I'd like to see guys like Clay and Vernon become Pro Bowlers and guys like Miller, Matthews, Taylor, etc. providing game changing plays.

Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:36 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

jammer wrote:
Overpaying "serviceable starters", as Dphins said, isn't a sign that you've drafted well. Simply shows you are lacking evaluation skills on multiple levels.

I like that we added Bradon Albert, but only because we "HAD" to. He is a good tackle, but not worth that kind of money. Not even close. You would think that GMs would learn from the greatest (Don Shula) how important offensive linemen are.

Here's a good article on first round offensive tackles from PFF:
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... ve-tackle/

Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:11 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
I like that we added Bradon Albert, but only because we "HAD" to. He is a good tackle, but not worth that kind of money. Not even close. You would think that GMs would learn from the greatest (Don Shula) how important offensive linemen are.

I wasn't really referring to Albert as he was a necessary signing. The two that came to mind were Koa Misi and Reshad Jones. You could make an argument against the Hartline signing but I think he helps the QB quite a bit.

Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:23 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
Bad drafting snow balls. Miami passed on Graham for Jerry, because they feel in love with the overweight guard at the Senior Bowl. They could have had their TE for the next decade, but passed on him. Then they now have to fill both positions after Jerry proved to be big, fat & lazy.

It order to take the next step Miami has to hit & I do not mean serviceable starters, but quality starters.

The crazy thing is that at the time they drafted Jerry, they didn't even need o-line help

Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:59 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

The Dolphins did draft Jake Long, who when healthy was an All-Pro OLT. Charles Clay certainly showed last year what he could be, you just want to see it again to be sure. But I think Clay is the TRUTH.

Miami certainly liked Graham a lot, but Billy Parcells thought he could be smart and get him a round later and the Saints beat the Phins on that one.

Olivier Vernon is turning into a nice player coming off a double digit sack season. There certainly have been more misses than hits though.

Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:30 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

The title of this thread should have been: "Dolphins need to do a better job drafting young talent (2014 update)"

Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]