View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 OT: LeBron Signs with Cleveland 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post OT: LeBron Signs with Cleveland
What do you resident Miami fans think about this? I honestly hope LeBron does well in his return, but am hoping like hell that the rest of that squad behind him implodes beyond belief. It would be hilarious. It's a shame the dynasty was cut short to only 4 seasons, but we still have Pat Riley. I believe he will rebuild another contender in time. Bosh will sign with Houston now that LeBron is gone.

I find it funny how almost no one is discussing Wade's future, as if he is an afterthought. I am a huge Flash fan, and I hope to see him stay loyal and retire in Miami. This will definitely be an interesting NBA season coming up. Cleveland now has the "best" odds to win it all in 2015 with 3-1 odds, San Antonio at 4-1, and Miami...at 100-1.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: OT: LeBron Signs with Cleveland
Now all those Cleveland fans get to eat crow and now love LB. Too Funny

Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:55 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I am thankful for Lebron's 4 years, but he isn't a Heat player anymore, so I will not be rooting for him.

In fact, I hope he fails in his quest to get a championship in Cleveland because I can't stand Dan Gilbert.

Going to be a tough road for the Heat to get back to title contention. They'll have an aging Wade left and have traded away a lot of picks in the Lebron and Bosh deals. And it isn't worth spending big money in free agency unless you're acquiring Melo, who is not Lebron...

As for the Cavs being favored above the Spurs, that is laughable.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:11 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
In fact, I hope he fails in his quest to get a championship in Cleveland because I can't stand Dan Gilbert.

I agree. As I said, I hope he plays up to his status while the rest of his team implodes just like they did in Cleveland's earlier days. Cleveland has been extremely lucky to be in the position they are in right now, with a record of consecutive 1st overall picks hand fed to them. F' Cleveland. They keep getting rewarded for their own incompetence, and still can't get over the hump. We'll see what happens. They still suck.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 3:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I am thankful for Lebron's 4 years, but he isn't a Heat player anymore, so I will not be rooting for him.

I actually will cheer for him now. Hated the way he handled going to Miami. Could not care less about Gilbert.

Rich wrote:
As for the Cavs being favored above the Spurs, that is laughable.

Love the Spurs.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:28 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Riley is reaching by giving a max deal to Bosh.
However great day for the Dolphins who become relevant again to the locals.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:52 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

There was a massive thud in South Florida today as thousands of Miami Cheat fans jumped off the bandwagon. Looking forward to seeing a half empty AAA next season

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:

Bosh knows he won't see that $118m in the contract. Later down the road when Riley has a good plan heading into free agency, Bosh will restructure that and allow other big names to join the squad. He isn't going to see anywhere near $118m, these are all investments for the future.

TommyNoleFin wrote:
There was a massive thud in South Florida today as thousands of Miami Cheat fans jumped off the bandwagon. Looking forward to seeing a half empty AAA next season

Knicks sucked, suck now, and will continue to suck. Like, forever.

Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:48 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Bosh knows he won't see that $118m in the contract. Later down the road when Riley has a good plan heading into free agency, Bosh will restructure that and allow other big names to join the squad. He isn't going to see anywhere near $118m, these are all investments for the future.

TommyNoleFin wrote:

Knicks sucked, suck now, and will continue to suck. Like, forever.

Not buying that at all AFC. Bosh already took one for the team by opting out and willing to take less for Lebron. No way he does it again in 2016 when Riley gets a hard on for Durant. Riley needed a face and just as Lebrons wife wanted Cleveland , Bosh's wife wanted Miami so this worked. But with a broken down Wade now for better or worse this is Bosh's team now he will be with the Heat for the duration unless traded to a contender if the Heat are really bad.
Bosh is not a Big 1 but this deal worked out great for him and he should never restructure especially to please a fan base he has criticized himself. I just this you will see a bunh of short term deals now. For the Heat its all about 2016 but a slew of other teams will have money and if Lebron comes out and criticizes Riley for how he handled this he will be a liability to sign players.

As for your Knick analogy you are spot on. No other team has mis managed contracts. Now Phil Jackson will really be tested but the NBA has become a player run league with not much need for a GM or president any more. It seems the players get together now & decide where they will play & who they will play with. This will eventually destroy the league.
The post however was at the fans. Heat tickets will be as available as Marlin , Dolphin & Panther tickets. Lets see how many McRoberts & Granger jerseys are sold. Lets see if anyone even knows who those guys are.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:01 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree that the players have a lot of control but still think that most will still go where the money is at too.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:20 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm a Heat fan, but I am more of a hometown Hornets fan. Still, I'm disappointed with Lebron going back to Cleveland. I understand that he has done it all now, but why go back to the fans that booed him so much for leaving. I understand it it is home for him, but going back to a team with a new head coach and a rebuilding phase .... not very smart in my book.

Good luck to him as he's always been a class act for the Heat, but I see a lot of frustration for him in Cleveland. Pat Riley really wanted him back and were ok to pay the maximum to him. I think the Heat are going to have a tough year, but I'll still be pulling for them.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:34 am
Profile WWW

Dave ,
The boo birds are starting to surface in South Florida. At least this time he left in a decent way. The way he left Cleveland was really not the greatest. Look , you can say the Heat stole him & the Cavs stole him back. Cleveland is very young & apparently has 3 first round picks next season which I was not aware of. While the East is now stronger the power just shifted from Miami to Cleveland so he will have success there just not as fast as he did down here.
I think Riley was blind sided by this. I thing he thought it was a lock that these 3 guys would come back at a reduced rate so he could then sign a 4th star.
Chalk it up to Karma.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:
Chalk it up to Karma.

Absolutely nothing to do with "Karma". The only reason (or only two reasons Cleveland had a chance at LeBron) is because they are his hometown team, and their relentless incompetence put them in a position no team has ever seen before with them gaining an unprecedented amount of 1st round picks in a 4 year span. Cleveland sucks, and I look forward to them continuing to play down to their expectations. Vegas' 3-1 odds of Cleveland winning it all is hilarious.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 10:56 am

Look , I hope Lebron never wins another ring. But it will be interesting the fans support of the Heat this season.
For the fans it is Karma.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:47 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

FINesse wrote:

So now the fans are evil, and are at fault and guilty of supporting their team. Yeah, okay...Karma...

Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:40 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FINesse wrote:

So now the fans are evil, and are at fault and guilty of supporting their team. Yeah, okay...Karma...

yes

Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:18 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
FINesse wrote:
Chalk it up to Karma.

Cleveland had a chance at LeBron) is because they are his hometown team, and their relentless incompetence put them in a position no team has ever seen before with them gaining an unprecedented amount of 1st round picks in a 4 year span.

They are going to end up with Miami's first round pick within the next 3 years as compensation for trading Lebron in 2010. Miami paid a kings ransom to rent Lebron for 4 years. Check this out.

"A reminder that when LeBron James left the Cavaliers in 2010, they turned the transaction into a sign and trade for a few draft picks just to at least get something for nothing. In the deal, Cleveland received the following:

-The option to swap 2012 first-round picks (not exercised).
-A 2012 second-round pick that eventually went to Dallas, who used it on Jae Crowder.
-A 2013 first-round pick that eventually went to Golden State, who used it on Nemanja Nedovic
-A 2011 second-round pick that turned into Milan Macvan.
-A large trade exception.

And, most importantly...
A future first-round pick that's top-10 protected in 2015 and 2016 and unprotected in 2017 if it doesn't convey by then.

So, it'll behoove Miami to tank the next two years and get good in 2017. Otherwise, they're forking over the best player in the world and a top draft pick.
"

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2014/7/11/5 ... miami-heat

Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:41 pm

FINesse wrote:
Look , I hope Lebron never wins another ring. But it will be interesting the fans support of the Heat this season.

So Karma is cheering for a team that made 4 finals and won 2 championships? There must be a lot of good karma in Miami.

Meanwhile, your Knicks haven't won since like 1973 and are a continual disappointment. What did you do that was so evil to deserve such bad karma?

Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:14 pm
Phinfever Design Admin
Phinfever Design Admin

To me all of this shows a sign of where we are as a society in how knee jerk "most" people have become. Social media / news etc hypes things beyond control, people beg for the information, everyone has an opinion and everything gets blown out of proportion and try to be the first to break something, leak it on twitter etc.

It's not just in sports, but in most aspects of life these days.

As far as this topic goes, I just think it's ironic that the ones that were burning their Lebron jerseys will now be buying another one. I'm sure there's a handul that won't but most will.

It's just like any other sport, he's not on the Heat, so I won't be rooting for him. I don't wish him harm... he's a man just like any of the rest of us. Makes mistakes, lives with them.

As far as the Heat go, I think Riley can put a respectable team together... at least be better than the Cavs this year on an overall record.

I don't know if Lebron gets another title in Cleveland, will be fun to watch.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:08 pm

Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:

So Karma is cheering for a team that made 4 finals and won 2 championships? There must be a lot of good karma in Miami.

Meanwhile, your Knicks haven't won since like 1973 and are a continual disappointment. What did you do that was so evil to deserve such bad karma?

Became a Dolphin fan.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:23 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

FINesse wrote:
Rich wrote:
What did you do that was so evil to deserve such bad karma?

Became a Dolphin fan.

Wait a minute ... aren't we going undefeated this year?

:haha

Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
Rich wrote:
FINesse wrote:

Became a Dolphin fan.

Karma really is a bitch. The Heat had their run but mortgaged their future, and now the piper has come to collect. Signing Bosh to a max deal was a desparate move by Pat the Rat. Bosh is not worth max money.

Pat the Rat will always be villified in New York for what he's done to the Knicks over and over again. The good news is LeBron's deal is for two years with an opt out clause next year. The Knicks are in position to clear some major cap space next season, but knowing them, they will screw that up somehow.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:01 am

Yeah Tommy... Lebron is going to New York in two years. Sure, bro.

He will most likely stay in Cleveland with a longshot at returning to Miami if he doesn't do anything in Cleveland.

As for the Heat, I bet they seed higher than your Knicks this season...

Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:44 pm

Lebron will resign with the Cavs in 2 years when the new TV money kicks in & the cap really increases. This contract allows the Cavs to give him a supporting cast. Barring any fallout with the owner he will retire a Cav. Miami fans I am sure will think a return is imminent but that is just them. They will dream of a Lebron / Durant scenario.
Yes I agree the Heat should still be better than the Knicks this season even with Wade at the end of a career & a used Deng along with a over rated Bosh , but still in the east formidable. But really the East is still bad & the power just shifted to the Cavs & maybe the Bulls.
Rich .... the point is most Heat fans and South Florida sports fans in general are not like you. There will be a mass exodus from this team jut like all the others once they stopped winning. It was a nice bandwagon to jump on & had I been a Heat fan I would have rode it as well. But if the Heat went 40 years with no title you would not be able to give court side tickets away.
Dave .... yes the Fins are going undefeated .... I dare anyone to find a loss on this upcoming schedule.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Cool story, Mitch. How'd it go in Cleveland when Lebron left? What happened in New York when the Yankees used to suck?

It's not a rare occurence for people to jump off a bandwagon when things go bad in any city. Stop with the 'Miami Bandwagon Town' meme. We do not have sole ownership of it.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Stop with the 'Miami Bandwagon Town' meme. We do not have sole ownership of it.

It's the "in" thing to say nowadays, don't expect it to stop anytime soon.

Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:25 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

It is the truth though, Miami is a bandwagon town, fans only show up when the teams are winning, it's not the only bandwagon town, but it is definitely a bandwagon town, no arguing that.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
It is the truth though, Miami is a bandwagon town, fans only show up when the teams are winning, it's not the only bandwagon town, but it is definitely a bandwagon town, no arguing that.

That is exactly why the Heat's attendance several years prior to LeBron, was always top 10, or at least near the top 10 in sell out percentage. You are right to a degree, but Miami definitely gets more of a bad rep than they deserve.

People don't take into account the amount of transplants from the northeast that infest the area...there honestly is not a big difference in numbers between native South Floridians when in comparison to those transplants from up north. That is the reason why it is a very diverse sports town due to many different cultures existing down here.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:29 pm

Finster wrote:
AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Rich wrote:

You'd be hard pressed to find a major city with multiple sports teams that isn't a bandwagon town. It all depends on the sport and the team's recent success and history.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:07 pm

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Finster wrote:

That is exactly why the Heat's attendance several years prior to LeBron, was always top 10, or at least near the top 10 in sell out percentage. You are right to a degree, but Miami definitely gets more of a bad rep than they deserve.

People don't take into account the amount of transplants from the northeast that infest the area...there honestly is not a big difference in numbers between native South Floridians when in comparison to those transplants from up north. That is the reason why it is a very diverse sports town due to many different cultures existing down here.

The Heat have been a playoff/championship team for years, and the fans will show up for that, they had won a title what, 3-4 years prior to signing Lebron, they've had at least 1 superstar on the team since they drafted Wade, when the Dolphins were relevant they came to the games, they even had larger attendance for Cats on ice when they were a championship team.

The biggest problem imo is the weather and and general area, there are too many other things to do outside, look at Pittsburgh, tiny in comparison to Miami, but try getting tickets to the Steelers or Penguins games, it doesn't matter if they're good or not, the fans will be there, but what the heck else is there to do, go freeze your butt off in a steel mill...

LA had the same problem, even worse than Miami, but imo due to pretty much the same reasons.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:21 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
You'd be hard pressed to find a major city with multiple sports teams that isn't a bandwagon town. It all depends on the sport and the team's recent success and history.

I can only use my experience in the Boston area to contribute. All 4 teams have great, die hard fan support and attendance in both good times and bad. But the town also has a huge bandwagon element that makes tickets impossible to get in good times.

Even though the Celtics are staring at another rebuild year you'll see good attendance (as an example).

But the thing about exceptions like Boston and NY is that too many fans are unaware of the fact that other teams exist. Floors me how many Boston fans can't be part of an intelligent conversation about an opposing team (I've learned this being a Dolphins fan) or the league in general.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:56 pm

jammer wrote:
I can only use my experience in the Boston area to contribute. All 4 teams have great, die hard fan support and attendance in both good times and bad. But the town also has a huge bandwagon element that makes tickets impossible to get in good times.

Even though the Celtics are staring at another rebuild year you'll see good attendance (as an example).

But the thing about exceptions like Boston and NY is that too many fans are unaware of the fact that other teams exist. Floors me how many Boston fans can't be part of an intelligent conversation about an opposing team (I've learned this being a Dolphins fan) or the league in general.

Celtics are ranked 14th in attendance with 97% attendance.

So tickets are available... just saying.

And they are not too far removed from being a contender.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:14 pm

97% is very good attendance Rich.

Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:49 pm

Finster wrote:

They were ranked middle of the road, that's very good?

Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:

They were ranked middle of the road, that's very good?

When you have a team that bad and can still be middle of the road in attendance I'd say it reflects well on fan loyalty. Think of the lineup they sent out last year. You have some good fan loyalty up here.

Believe it or not, I would say the Bruins have the most die hard fans of the four major sports. The Pats are the biggest band wagon squad because they've been relevant for a decade plus and the Red Sox are kind of the "social event".

Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:34 pm

The % is the more important number, the arena size has a lot to do with attendance numbers, a team with a larger arena can have a higher attendance but a lower %, Boston was 14th in attendance but 11th in %, so there were bigger arena teams with a lower % that had higher attendance.

Lets face it, Miami is the land of sun and fun, it's never going to have a Pittsburgh like fan base because there is simply too many options for things to do in Miami as opposed to a place like Pittsburgh or Cleveland where the fans show up no matter how bad the team is, the great weather of Miami that draws some players also has it's cons.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:06 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Finster wrote:
Lets face it, Miami is the land of sun and fun, it's never going to have a Pittsburgh like fan base because there is simply too many options for things to do in Miami as opposed to a place like Pittsburgh or Cleveland where the fans show up no matter how bad the team is, the great weather of Miami that draws some players also has it's cons.

Serious question. Do fans actually show up to Pirates and Indians games? Because every time I watch the stadiums appear half empty.

I agree with the point that Miami seems to be an area of transplants so it may be challenging to develop a loyal fan base.

Football in general is a different animal because it is a once per week event that has major pre and post game parties outside of the stadium. Very easy to get people to want to attend something like that.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:15 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

jammer wrote:
Football in general is a different animal because it is a once per week event that has major pre and post game parties outside of the stadium. Very easy to get people to want to attend something like that.

Not when you compare the prices of admission of an NFL game to the NBA/MLB/NHL. There were Heat tickets going for sale at $25 last season, obviously up in the top area of the AAA, but there isn't a bad seat in the house there.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
jammer wrote:

Not when you compare the prices of admission of an NFL game to the NBA/MLB/NHL. There were Heat tickets going for sale at $25 last season, obviously up in the top area of the AAA, but there isn't a bad seat in the house there.

Not sure how that relates to my comment. The NFL doesn't have to lower ticket prices or offer deals to get attendance or spark interest.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

The northeast is where all the old school die hard fans are. Those teams are amongst the oldest and there are family generations of season tickets. And when it's cold out there isnt a whole lot of other things to do than go watch football.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next