View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 July 4th weekend fishing? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

July 4th weekend fishing?
Post all of your pictures, guys! I am envious of you south Florida fishermen ... and I know you all went out to fish!

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:29 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Post Re: July 4th weekend fishing?
I'll load them tomorrow.l We got 4 gag grouper and 3 hogfish on spear. Hook and line produced short grouper and a bunch of key west grunts (gray grunts). Rich went out and slayed snapper and misc fish to eat. I'm sure he'll post too.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:58 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I can't wait to see them.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:22 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Anthony (Mak)'s fish. Very nice!!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:02 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks Dave. A 3rd of the fish fed 10 on the 4th. 2/3 left for the family! LOL!

Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:50 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Yeah, I'll pass on posting what we caught. Mak's haul kicks my haul's ass.

Although I made the mutton snapper last night and it was amazing.

We'll be eating grouper filets this weekend.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:03 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I jumped a tarpon yesterday at the beach but I didn't bring him in. He was pretty big, he put on an ariel show though. Pretty cool living on the west coast of Fl. Sorry land lubbers!!! lol

Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:50 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Nice Mak....spear fishing in Florida is quite a sport. Not only are you hunting, you could be hunted...lol. Cheers.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:08 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Nice Mak....spear fishing in Florida is quite a sport. Not only are you hunting, you could be hunted...lol. Cheers.

The problem with being "hunted" is that sharks are associating humans with food. My encounter with a 10' bull shark......I was diving a wreck called the Eagle in the keys in 130' of water. My brother shot a huge AJ and a Bullcrap came in. We were so fixated on the shark that we lost the AJ. Well the shark lost him too and he was pissed. He circled us and then came right at me. I signaled my bro to get behind me and I took an aggressive posture where I was going to hit him with the butt of my gun but at the last second, he swam away. We couldn't just surface since we were so deep. At the time adrenalin kicked in and it wasn't a bid deal, but that night I was thinking back and I was like holy crap that was intense. We went to west marine and we both bought Gopro cameras so we start documented this stuff. Best investment ever. I have tons of video from waterspouts to sharks to my kids sliding down waterslides. I have a mount on my surfboard and paddleboard. Neat stuff.

Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:05 pm

Nothing like a wounded fish bleeding in the water to attract the oceans top predator. 9 times out of 10 if you go Alpha on them they leave you alone. But a 10ft'er..all bets are off.

Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:29 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

So, Mak texts these dinky pictures and wants me to post them. I have to say that this is an impressive catch!

Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:07 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks Dave. Lobster season in the keys. We are allowed 42 per day and we are at 84, day 2. The alien looking lobster is a "slipper or rock lobster". The rest are florida spiny lobsters and they are sweeter than maine. they also freeze very well. The bad news is that I was lobstering and I turned around and a shark head butted me, I then pushed him away and I had to stab him in the gills as I was pushing him away, he would not stop coming at me, weird and out of character, sharks don't behave like that, you know movie type crap. Come to find, some a-hole has been hand feeding sharks down here and they now relate divers with food, not good. THe poor shark was bleeding out of his gills. My wife and 9 yr son saw the entire thing while snorkeling above me and they now realize that I am Neptune (lol) under the water, but I was humbled big time with that experience. We did some Mahi fishing and we lost 3 huge ones right by the boat, heartbreaking to say the least. Lobster makes up for it though, enjoy the fishing pictures. ANthony

Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:54 pm

Mak...I needed that one on GoPro...lol. If I were to guess I'd have to say a bull shark? Can't imagine a reefy doing that.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:59 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Mak wrote:
some a-hole has been hand feeding sharks down here and they now relate divers with food

Dang. What an idiot.

How far did you have to go out to get catch? Sorry about lose those Mahi-Mahi. That's a very good tasting fish.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 11:30 am
Profile WWW

Makchell wrote:
some a-hole has been hand feeding sharks down here

You make it sound as if he does often. But I do not see how he can feed his hand to a shark more than twice. Unless he's a mutant.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:32 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

It was a nurse shark and I found out today at a diver operation feeds sharks and barracuda out of his mouth, it's called creature feature. I knew that captain slate did it in Key Largo but come to find he moved down right where we are staying and diving!! I knew something was out of pace as sharks don't act that way. Now, these sharks relate divers to food, wonder why he came right up to my face. It was good training for me though as I didn't panicked and I kicked it a$$, now I feel bad though.

Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:21 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Makchell wrote:
It was a nurse shark ...

Nice going, doc.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:52 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Thanks Dave. Lobster season in the keys. We are allowed 42 per day and we are at 84, day 2. The alien looking lobster is a "slipper or rock lobster". The rest are florida spiny lobsters and they are sweeter than maine. they also freeze very well. The bad news is that I was lobstering and I turned around and a shark head butted me, I then pushed him away and I had to stab him in the gills as I was pushing him away, he would not stop coming at me, weird and out of character, sharks don't behave like that, you know movie type crap. Come to find, some a-hole has been hand feeding sharks down here and they now relate divers with food, not good. THe poor shark was bleeding out of his gills. My wife and 9 yr son saw the entire thing while snorkeling above me and they now realize that I am Neptune (lol) under the water, but I was humbled big time with that experience. We did some Mahi fishing and we lost 3 huge ones right by the boat, heartbreaking to say the least. Lobster makes up for it though, enjoy the fishing pictures. ANthony

Very cool stories and pics my friend.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Thanks Swerve. All said and done we ended up with a 75# pound tarpon that we released, variety of snappers and hogfish and 94 lobsters. We had a blast diving and fishing and good eats and beer/wine/rum. I just wanted to share with my phinfever family, take care guys, BTW that opening drive was awesome last night but the ying/yang was the defense (linebackers) looked horrible.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:14 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Nice fish pictures....

d-1

Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:21 pm

Makchell wrote:
It was a nurse shark and I found out today at a diver operation feeds sharks and barracuda out of his mouth, it's called creature feature. I knew that captain slate did it in Key Largo but come to find he moved down right where we are staying and diving!! I knew something was out of pace as sharks don't act that way. Now, these sharks relate divers to food, wonder why he came right up to my face. It was good training for me though as I didn't panicked and I kicked it a$$, now I feel bad though.

The guy who should feel bad is the idiot who fed this shark..not you. Anyone in your shoes...would've done the same thing, or worse..panicked and blew a lung heading to the surface.

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
It was good training for me though as I didn't panicked and I kicked it a$$, now I feel bad though.

Aren't nurse sharks harmless? So you kicked a harmless shark's butt? :fart:

Take it to the Bull Shark, THEN, your a bada$$ Mak!!

Nice pictures you posted!

Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Take it to the Bull Shark, THEN, your a bada$$ Mak!!

I already hit a Bullcrap with the butt of my speargun in 135' two years ago when my brother shot a huge AJ, so been there, done that...don't want to do it again...lol

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yeah I hears ya, Great White's get all the hype, but Bull Sharks have the most recorded attacks on people. They are tough mean son of a guns. Even species of the Bull Sharks that venture into fresh water rivers/lakes, now THAT'S scary!

Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:41 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Bulls are scary because of their high tolerance for brackish or even fresh water, and also like shallow warm water(just like us), combined with the high aggression and you have a recipe for disaster, so no surprise they're the #1 biter.

However, what really scares the living :crap out of me is the presence of Tigers down there, when they hit, it's usually for keeps(fraidy cat smiley).

Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mak............I don't care how good those slipper lobsters may taste...........I've seen enough horror movies, not to eat something that looks like that.

Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
Aren't nurse sharks harmless?

I wouldn't say harmless. They still have sharp teeth and will attack when they need to.

But they are certainly not as aggressive as bull, hammerhead, tiger and white sharks.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 am

Finster wrote:
Bulls are scary because of their high tolerance for brackish or even fresh water, and also like shallow warm water(just like us), combined with the high aggression and you have a recipe for disaster, so no surprise they're the #1 biter.

They are the main reason you do not get out of your boat while fishing off Flamingo.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:53 am

Here's the list of things that would tighten my sphincter underwater
1. Great White - Just because its something the size of a submarine with teeth that can slice you in half.
2. Bull Shark - If you've ever caught them on a fishing pole, they never quit fighting. Aggressive, mean and actually give birth in freshwater nurseries. They've been found as far inland as St Louis.
3. Oceanic Whitetip - 1, not so bad...2 or more you're done if you're on your own.
4. Tiger - Big but more of an opportunistic feeder. Will eat anything but it isn't looking for a fight.
5. Grey reef sharks - travel in packs and sometimes have been known to attack. Fatalities are rare.
6. Lemons - another one that doesn't mind feeding in shallow water.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:49 am

Rich wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

I wouldn't say harmless. They still have sharp teeth and will attack when they need to.

But they are certainly not as aggressive as bull, hammerhead, tiger and white sharks.

Actually the Hammerhead doesn't belong on that list, it's considered to be a relatively non-aggressive shark, no confirmed fatalities have ever been recorded, many years ago when I was still young, the Great Hammerhead was taken off the "man-eater" list, it was actually only on the list because of its size and appearance and proximity to certain shorelines.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:06 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
1. Great White - Just because its something the size of a submarine with teeth that can slice you in half.
2. Bull Shark - If you've ever caught them on a fishing pole, they never quit fighting. Aggressive, mean and actually give birth in freshwater nurseries. They've been found as far inland as St Louis.
3. Oceanic Whitetip - 1, not so bad...2 or more you're done if you're on your own.
4. Tiger - Big but more of an opportunistic feeder. Will eat anything but it isn't looking for a fight.
5. Grey reef sharks - travel in packs and sometimes have been known to attack. Fatalities are rare.

Tiger at 4, you should probably re-prioritize, lol, 2nd most fatal shark to the Great White, they're huge, have very powerful jaws and a nasty set of flesh ripping teeth and are aggressive, they will attack and eat anything.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:12 am

Finster wrote:
Rich wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

Actually the Hammerhead doesn't belong on that list, it's considered to be a relatively non-aggressive shark, no confirmed fatalities have ever been recorded, many years ago when I was still young, the Great Hammerhead was taken off the "man-eater" list, it was actually only on the list because of its size and appearance and proximity to certain shorelines.

Trust me, if you've ever fought a nurse shark and fought a hammerhead shark, you know there is a considerable difference in aggressiveness.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:36 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is a very interesting discussion, even though it has nothing to do with the Dolphins. LOL

Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:41 am

Finster wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:

Tiger at 4, you should probably re-prioritize, lol, 2nd most fatal shark to the Great White, they're huge, have very powerful jaws and a nasty set of flesh ripping teeth and are aggressive, they will attack and eat anything.

First off, statistics in this area are very misleading. Many times the shark remains a mystery and in most countries these attacks go unrecorded. The Bullsark, known as the Zampese Shark and one other name I can't remember attacks with at least a 2 to 1 frequency over every other species. Great Whites get on record more often because their attacks happen mostly in Australia or the US and are widely publicized. Tigers are a huge threat to swimmers and surfers, divers...nosomuch. They're an ambush predator much like the tiger on land. So I'm not sure I've ever heard of a fatal attack on divers.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:29 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fa ... ted_States

BTW, interesting but confirms most are presumed attacks by a certain species when in fact it could've been anyone of several.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:34 pm

It's very true that stats are misleading, the oceanic White Tip may actually be the shark with the highest fatality, however, their are usually no witnesses left after they're done because they are usually found far out at sea and are the prime suspect in ship disaster attacks, they are the classic "feeding frenzy" sharks.

Bull sharks stats as far as attacks are impossible to gauge, they are most likely responsible for most close to shore "unidentified" attacks, but most people survive, but truly a dangerous shark to humans.

Tigers do attack divers, divers are 1 of the prime targets of Tiger attacks, because of their size(4th largest shark, Whale, Basking, Great White, Tiger), sometimes their "test bites" are fatal, just like the Great White, and also just like the Great White they are apex predators, they fear nothing, full grow Tigers don't have any natural predators, I think the analogy to the feline tiger is fair, they are voracious predators that will attack and eat anything they can over power, they have the widest diversity of prey of any shark (and actually Bulls are on the menu), they will attack boats even, biting chunks off and swallowing them.

Tigers will eat when they're not hungry, they will attack if they feel threatened and will not necessarily adopt an aggressive posture before an attack, they are undoubtably one of the most dangerous sharks to humans.

I've always been a person that has been interested in wildlife, all they way back to when I was a kid, I never missed an episode of Mutual of Omaha'a Wild Kingdom, or a Jaques Cousteau special, and now Animal Planet and Nat Geo are in my favs, snakes are my #1 love, sharks are probably 2nd, although crocs could be as well, but have always been a primary interest and morbid fascination, I have a fear of sharks, I know everybody does, but they are my #1 fear as far as the animal kingdom goes.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:39 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I saw a tiger shark once in the gulf while diving. He turned and saw me and vanished quickly. He was massive. I also saw a hammerhead come to the surface and rip a hooked barracuda in half at a dive site. I waited a hour and went diving and low and behold, there he was on the bottom, circling the wreck. As soon as he saw me, he also vanished. As long as sharks don't relate people to food, they are harmless to divers. It's when sharks relate food to humans (ie" Bullcrap I fended off and the nurseshark thi past week) is when it becomes dangerous. Most attacks are mistaken identity, surfers look like seals in cali and look like turtles in Hawaii. There have been two Bullcrap attacks in my area over the last few years. North Anna Maria island is a bait funneling channel and idiots spearfish there and draw bulls in. The idiots were also letting their kids and family members swim in the area, not smart. I would think with this kind of stupidity there would be more attacks. Sharks don't scare me one bit, people do.

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:45 pm

Quote:
Tigers do attack divers, divers are 1 of the prime targets of Tiger attacks
huh? No.
1. Swimmers
2. Surfers
3. Snorkelers
4. Spear fishermen <--- I'd move this to number 1 because it is likely most spear guys consider this simply a job hazard and don't report the attack

Been on over a 1000 dives, different forums etc...never heard of a tiger attack on a diver. I saw video once of a tiger biting some guys tank then taking off.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:07 am

Mak - As an underwater photographer, I live for that encounter but like your experience...every shark I've seen disappears way too quickly for a photo op. Had a couple of close swim bys in Hawaii but outside of those, I've never had a shark even circle me.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:11 am

When sharks taste people, they typically don't like the flavor.

Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next