View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:53 pm

Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Dion Jordan suspended by the NFL for 4 games 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Dion Jordan suspended by the NFL for 4 games
Report via Armando Salguero says Dion Jordan, Miami Dolphins defensive end, has been suspended by the NFL for 4 games for violating the leagues policy on Performance Enhancing Drugs. Thoughts?

Just seen this on SiriusXM NFL Radio's facebooks page..

hoping it's bull.... got a feeling it's not..

damm it

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:17 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Dion Jordan suspended by the NFL for 4 games
yup it's true

Armando Salguero @ArmandoSalguero · 4m
In a statement Dion Jordan admits he tested positive for "stimulants" and says he's "very sorry" about the impact of the coming suspension.

https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero

only place I am seeing it so far

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:20 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dion Jordan suspended four games for PEDs
Nothing like taking a short cut.

Quote:
Dion Jordan suspended four games for PEDs
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 3, 2014

Dolphins defensive end Dion Jordan bulked up this offseason, and now there may be questions raised about his methods of bulking up.

Jordan has been suspended for the first four games of the regular season for violating the NFL’s policy on performance-enhancing substances. The Dolphins have announced the suspension, and although there is no official word on which substance Jordan was found to have taken, he said in a statement that he took a banned stimulant.

“I recently learned from the NFL that I tested positive for stimulants that are banned under the NFL policy,” Jordan said. “I worked carefully with my advisors and the union to investigate the test results, and I take full responsibility for the test results. I’m very sorry for the impact of this situation on my teammates, coaches, Stephen Ross, the entire Dolphins organization, fans and my family as well. I will continue to work extremely hard during training camp and preseason. During the suspension, I will stay in top shape and will be ready to contribute upon my return.”

Said Dolphins head Coach Joe Philbin, “We were disappointed to learn about Dion’s suspension. Dion has accepted responsibility for his actions and is committed to improving, both on and off the field, in preparation for the upcoming year.”

The Dolphins loved Jordan so much in last year’s draft that they traded up to take him with the third overall pick, but he had a somewhat disappointing rookie year. He was used only as a substitute, never as a starter, and finished the season with just 2.0 sacks. There were reports during the offseason this year that the Dolphins were floating Jordan’s name in trade talks, although the Dolphins always denied those reports.

Now the Dolphins will play the first four games of this season without Jordan. Jordan will miss Weeks 1-4 and then be eligible to return to the team in Week 5, which is the Dolphins’ bye. The first game he will be eligible to play is Week 6 against the Packers.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -for-peds/

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: Dion Jordan suspended four games for PEDs
beat ya by 8 min :) lol

kill my other post about this boss

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:29 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

And this is why Jeff Ireland is no longer the Dolphins GM. He obviously didn't do his due diligence before trading up to get this guy. He just asked what type of work the guy's mother did.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:40 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
By Omar Kelly Sun Sentinel

4:10 p.m. EDT, July 3, 2014

Jordan can participate in training camp and the exhibition season, but he can't step foot in the facility during the regular season until the the bye week, which comes after the Sept. 28 game against the Raiders, which will be played in London.

"During the suspension, I will stay in top shape and will be ready to contribute upon my return," Jordan said. ...

Jordan's absence also increases the possibility that Jared Odrick might be called on to play defensive end again, and that one of the team's young pass rushers might join Wake, Vernon and Derrick Shelby on the 53-man roster for at least the first month of the season.

That player might be former Marist standout Terrence Fede, whom the Dolphins selected in the seventh round of the 2014 draft. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl- ... 2081.story

Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:54 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

UNREAL! WHY US?????

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

There is so much depth at the position it doesnt really matter

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
And this is why Jeff Ireland is no longer the Dolphins GM. He obviously didn't do his due diligence before trading up to get this guy.

Yeap, this is Jeff Ireland fault. :hithead:

TommyNoleFin wrote:
He just asked what type of work the guy's mother did.

Yeap, Ireland is the only GM ever interested in a kids parents. :hithead:

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:08 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Dphins4me wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:
And this is why Jeff Ireland is no longer the Dolphins GM. He obviously didn't do his due diligence before trading up to get this guy.

Yeap, this is Jeff Ireland fault. :hithead:

TommyNoleFin wrote:
He just asked what type of work the guy's mother did.

Yeap, Ireland is the only GM ever interested in a kids parents. :hithead:

Seeing as you think Rick Spielman is a great GM and Jason Allen was a great pick for DB, your argument is weak.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

after Lane Johnson got busted I just knew it would be any moment that we would hear the same about Jordan. Called him out for PED's back in May after he gained 17 pounds of muscle.

Last edited by swerve13 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:17 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:

Seeing as you think Rick Spielman is a great GM and Jason Allen was a great pick for DB, your argument is weak.
This has what to do with Jordan? If I did not have a life then I would recall all the times you have posted stuff that did not turn out.

When your argument is weak attack somewhere else. Also repeating lies does not make them factually true. Never used the word great for Allen and I thought he would make a good safety. Never liked him at CB and frankly if you had any ounce of truth in you then you would acknowledge that.

I have no clue where you are pulling the Spielman piece from other than you are making stuff up because you realize how asinine it is to blame someone for the actions of another almost a year & a half afterwards.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Dion Jordan suspened 4 games
Dion Jordan has been suspended 4 games for violation of the substance abuse program.

How's that for another wasted # 1 pick....?

d-1

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:37 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

You cant baby sit these guys. Its hardly Irelands fault. Put the blame where it lies ... with the player.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:52 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This is hardly crippling to the team...4 weeks without a rotational player like DJ won't sabotage the season, and if it does play a big part in it, we didn't play hard enough. I do admire his comments after the news came out though, not too often you see players take ownership of their actions straight up. I'm pretty impressed with that. Thank god he doesn't have the personality/mindset of an Aldon Smith.

TommyNoleFin wrote:
And this is why Jeff Ireland is no longer the Dolphins GM. He obviously didn't do his due diligence before trading up to get this guy. He just asked what type of work the guy's mother did.

Bro...are you serious right now? Lol.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dion Jordan suspened 4 games
Well, the other guy that most thought Miami would draft has also been busted.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 5:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Well nobody is a bust yet but at least Lane Johnson has a clearly defined role as a starter, and graded out well in run blocking.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:04 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Weed or roids?

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:07 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Manhattan wrote:
There is so much depth at the position it doesnt really matter

I'm feeling the same way. I really don't care because he would practically be a rookie this year.

I dont blame him for wanting it so badly but its dumb that he wanted it this way. Maybe he'll learn a lesson. Its a shame that its just another smear on the franchise at the point.

Oh well. Vernon's gonna be the man this year any way

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
“I recently learned from the NFL that I tested positive for stimulants that are banned under the NFL policy,” Jordan said. “I worked carefully with my advisors and the union to investigate the test results, and I take full responsibility for the test results. I

I can just hear that song from the movie the Wizard of Oz going off: If I Only had a Brain (Whistle, Whistle, Whistle.....

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:48 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

FINesse wrote:
You cant baby sit these guys. Its hardly Irelands fault. Put the blame where it lies ... with the player.

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
TommyNoleFin wrote:

Bro...are you serious right now? Lol.

I'm dead serious. Ireland's final draft class could easily be labeled one of the worst of all time based on their performance. And so far it doesn't look like they will show improvement for 2014. Jordan was the NUMBER THREE OVERALL PICK!!! A guy Ireland TRADED UP TO GET!!! There's a reason why no one hired him after Ross gave him his walking papers.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:42 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It sucks that he won't be able to knock Brady on his butt in game 1.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 11:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
This is hardly crippling to the team...4 weeks without a rotational player like DJ won't sabotage the season, and if it does play a big part in it, we didn't play hard enough. I do admire his comments after the news came out though, not too often you see players take ownership of their actions straight up. I'm pretty impressed with that. Thank god he doesn't have the personality/mindset of an Aldon Smith.

I'm with you all the way on that. He'll definitely be fresh for the final 12 games of the season. I think he is a good kid. I'm not too worried about him, but I am disappointed.

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Ireland's final draft class could easily be labeled one of the worst of all time based on their performance. And so far it doesn't look like they will show improvement for 2014.

Well, so far you are right about that. I do think we'll be very happy with this draft class by season's end. He drafted a couple players that were injured, so, I would think that Jamar Taylor will be in the "red shirt" class. Be ready to be "wowed" by him and Dion Jordan.

Finhead34 wrote:
I can just hear that song from the movie the Wizard of Oz going off: If I Only had a Brain (Whistle, Whistle, Whistle.....

:haha

Before a player takes anything they should make sure it is cleared by the league. I wonder what process the Dolphins have in player conditioning. When did he get caught? Last season?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:27 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

What type of stimulant? I mean, Olympics athletes have been disqualified for taking Sudafed. So the question is what did he take and how strict or ridiculous is the NFL substance policy?

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Before a player takes anything they should make sure it is cleared by the league. I wonder what process the Dolphins have in player conditioning. When did he get caught? Last season?

My guess Dave is that actually tons of professional football players take "something" that is not fully legal and they find ways to mask it or take their chances not getting caught. The off season is the time these guys will take those risks.

I think some of these guys are also willing to take those chances because some of the stuff they can gain access to can dramatically change their strength level and when they come off whatever it is they are taking, they will lose "some" of the cheated strength gains, but can also keep a lot of it by maintaining forward.

So many guys just don't get caught. Of course, this is my opinion, but I just don't believe a percentage of guys are NOT not doing something illegal to maintain an edge.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:50 am

I'm sure many NFL players use PEDs and don't get caught.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfanmel wrote:
UNREAL! WHY US?????

Because the Seahawks never had a guy suspendid for ped`s...And Aldon Smith is a stand up guy. Or how about the Patriots and their murdering TE and ped suspensions.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:56 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:

You ever see Tom Brady`s combine tape. Weak arm flabby slow and a backup for Drew Henson.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
I'm dead serious. Ireland's final draft class could easily be labeled one of the worst of all time based on their performance. And so far it doesn't look like they will show improvement for 2014..
Camp had not even started & you say so far it doesn't look likely they will show improvement. Basing this on what?

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Jordan was the NUMBER THREE OVERALL PICK!!! A guy Ireland TRADED UP TO GET!!! There's a reason why no one hired him after Ross gave him his walking papers.
I do not recall being overly thrilled with the pick, because of his lack of production in college. Thought he might be more of a combine type player. One who looks good in shorts, but does not translate to the field, but recall being told it was because how he was used in college.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

100% I believe this statement is true. Here is an example I will use of how people view professional athletes. I live in Houston....Roger Clemens and Craig Biggio at one time together were considered idols and staples to this area for professional baseball, one of them still is viewed that way, but only because he did not get caught. I am using this because people think Craig Biggio is this model athlete from his playing time, when in MY opinion, he took "something" that elevated an edge for him to keep playing baseball at a higher level and into his later years. He absolutely changed up his body as did Clemens....again just did not get caught and will end up in the HOF....Clemens got caught and will not probably end up in the HOF.

So many athletes take something to cheat their bodies so they can play at a higher level in their profession.

Kev, I would not be surprised one bit if years back to help him take another level into his career that Tom Brady "may" have taken something. I used to think that baseball pitchers or NFL QB's had nothing to gain by taking PED's, but they would certainly gain an edge over those that do not.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:18 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

No comment...... :haha

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:29 am

I understand what your saying Finhead, but it isn't fair at all to compare baseball and football in regards to PED use, or to be more specific, in regards to how the league handled it, baseball has had a don't ask don't tell policy on PEDs until congress got involved a few years back, the NFL has been testing for many many years, there are no football players saying how they or everybody was on the stuff, they all are afraid of being caught, that has been bad news in the NFL for a long time,, it's all new to baseball, MLB is who is at fault here, they let it go on for years and did nothing.

What we hear, and have been hearing for years now from NFL players, if you use, you'll get caught, I can't speak on the new supposedly untraceable PEDs but the traditional PEDs will get you busted in the NFL.

I think it's mostly guys like DJ, guys who NEED them to gain strength quickly, most NFL players don't use them because they don't want to lose paychecks, because you will get caught in the NFL.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:34 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

When I read this, I had two quick feelings about it.

My first feeling has been mentioned in multiple posts above...of all the positions to have this happen, DE was the one the team could possible spare for a month.

And secondly, he admitted to it and seems to be accepting responsibility. It wasn't a bad fertility drug cocktail. The tester didn't have a grudge against him. Someone didn't taint his sports drink. It's actually refreshing to see a professional athlete man-up and basically say, "I did the crime, I'll do the time....Sorry everyone. I've learned my lesson."

I was fully expecting a "My scorned ex-girlfriend laced my Gatorade chews" type of excuse, and it didn't happen.

It was nice for a change to see a professional athlete act like a man for once, and take responsibility for their actions. This is becoming rarer and rarer in pro sports.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 9:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
I understand what your saying Finhead, but it isn't fair at all to compare baseball and football in regards to PED use, or to be more specific, in regards to how the league handled it, baseball has had a don't ask don't tell policy on PEDs until congress got involved a few years back, the NFL has been testing for many many years, there are no football players saying how they or everybody was on the stuff, they all are afraid of being caught, that has been bad news in the NFL for a long time,, it's all new to baseball, MLB is who is at fault here, they let it go on for years and did nothing.

I see what your saying Finster, however, a PED is a PED and cheating is cheating to gain an edge in ANY sport and that is where I am coming from not meaning to do a direct comparison between the MLB and NFL.

Look at this way....Did you see the size of for example Brian Cushing coming out of HS to USC?

Again, MY OPINION, but there is NO WAY he was naturally that size. These guys that are avid PED users have started since their HS days. Some take it under the radar and quit when they go off to college in fear of getting caught. Very common practice, but you get those guys obsessed with keeping up with the high level athletes, so they continue to try and take things and hope they don't get caught. As you can see I am a bit jaded in my view as I think it is a high percentage of athletes that take or have taken "something" illegal.

However, where my opinion gets tricky is how often is everyone really tested and I haven't the slightest idea how long any form of a steroid or enhancer can stay in ones system and vs the testing.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:19 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Kid is just trying to gain a competitive edge, not a big deal. As of now he is a back up, missing first 4 is not going to matter, we will need him down the stretch when we make the playoff run. And they cant take that 17lb of bio muscle he put on..

:yay: :yay:

Fri Jul 04, 2014 5:22 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Would the Fins draft this kid again if they know what they know now? Just a hypo. Too me he's is a bust until otherwise proven and now add this suspension, my predication is turning out right. It is what it is.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:59 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Is it possible that some players and even teams are willing to sacrifice 4 games in order to get bigger and stronger for the rest of the season? If Dion knew he had to be bigger and stronger to make an impact then was there really much of a risk? Don't get me wrong, I don't approve but I'm not a 22 year old millionaire that needs to prove I'm worth the number 3 overall pick either.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 8:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
Would the Fins draft this kid again if they know what they know now? Just a hypo. Too me he's is a bust until otherwise proven and now add this suspension, my predication is turning out right. It is what it is.

Revisionist question. Looking back. Who do you wish they would have taken at No. 3 or at No. 12 and kept their No. 2.

For Myself. I do not recall being a fan of the trade up but at No. 3 Lane Johnson who is suspended as well.

At 12 Miami could have had Sheldon Richardson & then at 42 it could have been Kiko Alonso, Gavin Escobar, Le'Veon Bell or Jamie Collins.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 9:22 am

Imo the first thing wrong was the idea of trading up in a draft that was already well known for it's lack of 1st round talent, which is why #3 overall was so cheaply bought, because each draft is different based on the talent that's in it, your not really trading for picks, your trading for particular players, you just need, or think you need that pick to acquire a particular player, so we didn't actually trade up for the #3 pick so to speak, we traded for DJ.

We should have explored every option to trade DOWN from 12 and not up, imo it wasn't a sound football move at all to trade up in that draft, and if DJ was such a great prospect then why was it so easy to trade up to get him.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:27 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
Imo the first thing wrong was the idea of trading up in a draft that was already well known for it's lack of 1st round talent, which is why #3 overall was so cheaply bought, because each draft is different based on the talent that's in it, your not really trading for picks, your trading for particular players, you just need, or think you need that pick to acquire a particular player, so we didn't actually trade up for the #3 pick so to speak, we traded for DJ.

We should have explored every option to trade DOWN from 12 and not up, imo it wasn't a sound football move at all to trade up in that draft, and if DJ was such a great prospect then why was it so easy to trade up to get him.

You are correct, teams trade up for a player, not just a spot and the cost is based on the talent. Its why RG III cost so much & DJ cost so little.

Part of it from what I recall was Oakland wanted D. J. Hayden and he would be available later & they simply just wanted to move out of the spot. I'm not a fan of trading up on physical skills without the college production to back it up & lets face it Jordan did not have that pass rush production.

When the trade happened I thought for sure if was for Johnson & frankly I could not have truthfully blamed Ireland for it. Never saw the DJ pick. Hope it works out, but I'm never a huge fan of trading up unless you are getting premium talent and DJ was more projection of what he might can do with his skill set. Frankly I think he is a Jason Taylor pick. Miami saw Taylor in him. Of course Taylor was a 3rd Rd. pick, not No. 3 overall.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:43 am
Reply to topic   [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next