View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 John Jerry fools another team 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post John Jerry fools another team
Good luck with that, Giants.

Quote:
Giants want John Jerry to push for starting job
Posted by Josh Alper on July 3, 2014

John Jerry didn’t have a good year on or off the field with the Dolphins in 2013, which made it seem like the Giants were interested in rounding out their depth on the offensive line when they added Jerry to a depth chart at guard that already featured Geoff Schwartz and Chris Snee.

That may turn out to be the case, but offensive line coach Pat Flaherty isn’t closing the door on a bigger role for Jerry. Even after the offseason knee procedure that kept Jerry from working for almost the entire spring program, Flaherty sees Jerry “plugging right in” during camp and hopefully making a push for a starting job.

“Until I see more of everybody, I couldn’t tell you the starting lineup,” Flaherty said, via the Newark Star-Ledger. “It’s too early. I know I say this over and over again, and I firmly believe it, but I don’t know how much you can tell while you’re in gym shorts when it comes to the offensive line. They have to put their pads on people.”

Given the contract they gave Schwartz in free agency, Jerry’s best path to the lineup would seem to come at Snee’s right guard spot. Snee is coming off a season lost to a hip injury and also had elbow surgery this offseason, so there’s some question about how well he’ll hold up this season. Jerry and Brandon Mosley would be the candidates to nudge him out of the lineup, although we’ll see later this summer whether the talk of replacing a 10-year starter is lip service or something more serious.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... rting-job/

Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:36 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: John Jerry fools another team
He fits their man blocking scheme more than our zone so I don't think he'd do as bad for them.

Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:49 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Alex13 wrote:
He fits their man blocking scheme more than our zone so I don't think he'd do as bad for them.

If Miami had kept the man/power blocking scheme after Sparano was fired and just got a better coaching staff and a few upgrades on offense (QB, seam-threat TE, WR, and probably one or two OL) they'd already be a playoff team. The defense kept them in most games, but the offense mostly settled for FGs instead of TDs (due to poor coaching/playcalling and a lack of playmakers on offense). A decent GM and HC could turn that around in one season. If I were the owner, I'd have looked for a GM and HC who would emphasize the team's strengths and minimize their weaknesses.

But, Ross hires Philbin and his West Coast zone-blocking and in comes Sherman and Coyle. The team's strengths are now its weaknesses. Remember Lousaka "Mr. Automatic First Down" Polite? Under Philbin, Miami can't even convert a 3rd and 1 with two tries. How about their great rushing defense? It's now pathetic.

I'm sure that I'm in the minority, but IMO Philbin (and his WC offense) and Coyle are ruining this team.

Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:08 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

gofins60 wrote:
If Miami had kept the man/power blocking scheme after Sparano was fired and just got a better coaching staff and a few upgrades on offense (QB, seam-threat TE, WR, and probably one or two OL) they'd already be a playoff team.

Those are a whole bunch of changes you listed there.

So what you're saying is, we're not close.

Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:05 pm
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

Rich wrote:
Those are a whole bunch of changes you listed there.

So what you're saying is, we're not close.

I think that Miami was close under Sparano; all they needed was a few guys on offense to help get into the endzone, and the coaching/playcalling on offense was poor.

The defense always (or mostly, anyway) kept them in games, even against superior opponents. Miami was one of the few teams who could consistently slow down Brady. The problem has always been scoring TDs. Under Sparano, Henne and the running game usually had no problem marching down the field; they could move the ball. It was in the red zone that they always fell apart due to no superior playmakers, bad playcalling, and Marshall dropping too many TDs. Under Philbin the team did better in the red zone, but made it there too few times. Every defense knew that Miami's o-line couldn't block in Philbin's scheme, so stalled drives were commonplace. Philbin even said when he was hired that in his system, the short passing game will basically take the place of the running game. With no true FB and a lack of emphasis on running the ball (and possibly a blocking scheme that didn't fit the players), Miami was terrible at converting 3rd and short and keeping the ball away from the opponent.

IMO, it's easier to improve the team that can get to the red zone than to fix a team that can't convert a 3rd and inches given two tries!

Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]