View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 ASK MIKE: Did the Miami Dolphins blow their shot at Big Dan 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post ASK MIKE: Did the Miami Dolphins blow their shot at Big Dan
Quote:
Q: Mike, do you think the Dolphins were targeting Jared Odrick all along when they decided to trade down? Or were they after Big Dan Williams at DT when they decided to drop in the first round, and then Arizona swooped in and selected him? ...
A: You can never really tell with the Trifecta, but I tend to believe your version
Q: I’m excited about the second and third round today. I can’t remember a deeper second than this. The combination of trading down, strange picks and a deep draft have given the Dolphins these candidates to choose from
A: You’re right, Mark. It’s going to be wild tonight, especially in the early going, with all the movement at the top of the second round. Wouldn’t surprise me if the Dolphins moved up a few more slots to get their man, whether it be a Kindle or a safety. Don’t be shocked if they deal Phillip Merling now that Jared Odrick’s in hand. Merling should be able to bring a second-rounder or at least a high third in return; maybe that’s what Ireland had in mind when he said last night, “I don’t really want to get into where we’re going to play the kid [Odrick] right this minute. I think you’ll see soon enough where he’ll be playing.”
I don’t see them going for Cody, but maybe they grab a more traditional nose tackle prospect in the late rounds. Not sure they want to trade down too far in the second. Maybe another spot or so, but one of the things that was appealing about the deal with San Diego was the chance to slot in at No. 40, just ahead of division rivals Buffalo (41) and, of course, New England (44, 47 and 53). Don’t think the Dolphins want to let the Pats pick once, much less twice, before they pick again. The draft-pick value chart says the No. 40 pick is worth 500 points. Dropping down, say, a dozen spots to where the Steelers are at No. 52 (just ahead of New England’s final No. 2, for now) would bring the Dolphins the equivalent of a very late third-rounder. Not sure that difference is worth letting Bill Belichick, Nick Caserio and Co. have their way with the draft board two more times before you pick again.

http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports_fo ... l+Blogs%29

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:44 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Post Re: ASK MIKE: Did the Miami Dolphins blow their shot at Big Dan
When the Dolphins moved out of the #12 spot-- they lost the the best chance to pick the guy they wanted IMO... but in exchange the fins picked up #8 second round.

Big fan of Dan Williams--- but like the odrick pick + 2nd round....

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I am honestly still shocked the Cardinals took Williams. They already have the Wolverine two-some of Alan Branch and Gabe Watson. Not to mention Dockett plays the nose on 3rd down passing situations. With the way the board was shaping up midway thru the first, I was quite certain Williams would fall to us. Ah well. Hoping this Odrick pick turns out well.

EDIT: In reading more over on a local AZ site, it would seem the Cardinals were extremely high on Williams, never believed they actually had a realistic chance of grabbing him. And I guess they prefer Branch to play an end in their 3-4.

Think about this .... Williams had 70 tackles his senior season .... the kid definitely affects plays. Although, I don't know that we're needing our NT to make that many tackles.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Well if Ireland can be believed (lol) then if the player Miami targated had been there at the 12th pick they would have taken him. Since he was not there they traded down.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm like Parcells ... I am wary of players that have a huge jump in production in their senior years. It didn't kill me that we didn't draft him.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Big Dave wrote:
I'm like Parcells ... I am wary of players that have a huge jump in production in their senior years.

Why? This isn't like the NFL and contract years, these are kids that are still growing and maturing. It only makes sense that your senior year should be your best.

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:47 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

AQNOR wrote:
Well if Ireland can be believed (lol) then if the player Miami targated had been there at the 12th pick they would have taken him. Since he was not there they traded down.

i think the Dolphins were set on trading down.. deep draft... Dan Williams, Derrick Morgan, Earl Thomas all available....... i doubt CJ Spiller was a targeted player considering how much upgrade our defense needs..

i dont believe anything Ireland says...

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

joeschmoe wrote:
[Why? This isn't like the NFL and contract years, these are kids that are still growing and maturing. It only makes sense that your senior year should be your best.

Perhaps a slow learning curve at the next level.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Quote:
Don’t be shocked if they deal Phillip Merling now that Jared Odrick’s in hand.

Didn't PR have a post along these lines?

Phinfever Live!!!

Listen Live: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/phinfeverradio

RIP, Tom

Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:20 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]