View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:22 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Why did we hire Joe Philben? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Why did we hire Joe Philben?
I'm still waiting for the Philben show to look like the Packers offense. In fact, if you look at the stats, Sparano had more offensive success with Henne than Philben has had with a far better quarterback. Let's just hope that the offensive problems were Sherman and Ireland's offensive line.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed May 28, 2014 2:01 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Why did we hire Joe Philben?
Eh...I guess the question that raises is how much control of the offense did Philbin truly have? I mean...Lazor has already been given total control of offense this year.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm gonna keep asking ya Dave...why do you always spell Philbin with an "e"? You obviously don't think too highly of the guy lol.

Wed May 28, 2014 2:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
I'm still waiting for the Philben show to look like the Packers offense. In fact, if you look at the stats, Sparano had more offensive success with Henne than Philben has had with a far better quarterback. Let's just hope that the offensive problems were Sherman and Ireland's offensive line.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/mia/
I'd say better athlete, similar quarterback. Also wondering if the go/go go thing was implemented due to Tannehill not being good with cadences. I mean spending 2 years not even in direct competition with a quarterback that wasn't even drafted isn't a good sign.

Wed May 28, 2014 3:59 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

DanRambo wrote:
Eh...I guess the question that raises is how much control of the offense did Philbin truly have? I mean...Lazor has already been given total control of offense this year.

Heck, I spelled his name with an "i" when I liked him. Just a bad habit, my friend.

:fart:

Wed May 28, 2014 4:44 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

People were very excited about Philbin. He was one of the most sought after guys that year.

Shame the reality has not matched the hype

Thu May 29, 2014 5:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

degs wrote:
People were very excited about Philbin. He was one of the most sought after guys that year.

Does it ever?

Thu May 29, 2014 5:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

^yeah it does! Ryan Le.............oh wait...........

Thu May 29, 2014 6:19 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

degs wrote:

I was questioning why we were hiring an offensive coordinator that didn't call plays and didn't use his own playbook and the response was that he was integral to the gameplan during the week.

:hithead:

Fri May 30, 2014 7:26 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I wonder how interactive Philbin will be this year versus his more quiet introverted approach. With that ridiculous bullying saga, one would think he will be extremely involved this season.

The AFC East is going to be a dog fight and for the first time in years, I do not believe New England is going to run away with the division. Each team is improved and a step closer to those guys.

Fri May 30, 2014 7:33 am
Phinfever Newbie
Phinfever Newbie

I honestly feel like going for the the up and coming young coaches is the way to go. It has worked in basketball and it isn't that uncommon in other sports. I am a indoor skydiving instructor and the sport has progressed in the last five years so much! I have gotten coaching from world class coaches/brothers and the younger brother was by far the better teacher and flyer! Even with 5 years less experience. You can't teach a old dog new tricks and this is not the same game it was 20 years Ago! Hell its even changed dramatically in the last 10!

Fri May 30, 2014 8:53 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Ricky, Ronnie, Marshall, Hartline, Bess, Fasano

And the line was better as far as I remember, specially if we are comparing to the 2013 team...

Coach Joe is a joke, his offense is whatever the OC determines, there will not be any comparison to McCarthy's offense now being this is Lazor's team

Joe is just a glorified planner, Lazor will run the O, Coyle runs the D

Fri May 30, 2014 1:08 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Most HC types at Joe's age are starting to think about retirement, not getting their first shot, it's nearly impossible to recreate the passion and fire of youth, most HC's get their first shot 20-30 years earlier than Joe, and he hasn't impressed in the inspiration dept, I don't want to seem ageist but perhaps he is just too old to be starting out.

Fri May 30, 2014 2:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I didn't want to spend the time determining the average age of current NFL HC's, but some guy did it in 2011, and the average then was 50.41............... Philbin is 52. If your supposed to be retiring at 52, then I really need to get to work.

I'm not a fan of Philbin, but I don't think he's struggling because of age.

Fri May 30, 2014 8:27 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
I was questioning why we were hiring an offensive coordinator that didn't call plays and didn't use his own playbook and the response was that he was integral to the gameplan during the week.

I was actually happy with the hire hoping for a Packers offensive system, but let's face it ... the Packers have possibly the best quarterback in the NFL. There's a lot of talent on that offense. I remember Rich and a couple others that were not happy with the hire.

To me, Philbin hasn't shown the ability to be a good coach. He delegates too much responsibility to his staff and never has any real answers when things go wrong. Is he a nice guy and respects Miami's legacy? I would say "yes". Does he really have the respect of his team? I would say "no". They may like him but I am not sure about the respect.

I will say that the Dolphins continue to add talent on this team, and Philbin has two coordinators that are up and coming head coaches in this league. If the Dolphins can put together an OL this year I think we are looking for an improvement over 2013.

Sat May 31, 2014 6:05 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

shularino wrote:
I didn't want to spend the time determining the average age of current NFL HC's, but some guy did it in 2011, and the average then was 50.41............... Philbin is 52. If your supposed to be retiring at 52, then I really need to get to work.

My point was not his age per se, but his age when getting his first chance, most 52 hear old HCs have been HCs for 15 years or so, it's rare to have a HC starting out at 50.

Sat May 31, 2014 6:57 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

10acjed wrote:

Joe is just a glorified planner, Lazor will run the O, Coyle runs the D

I believe that pretty much the way it is with most teams, not all. HC manages the players & the OC/DC run their side of the line under the guidance of what the HC wants.

Sat May 31, 2014 8:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finster wrote:
shularino wrote:

My point was not his age per se, but his age when getting his first chance, most 52 hear old HCs have been HCs for 15 years or so, it's rare to have a HC starting out at 50.

I don't think the average age for first time HC's in their first year is 35 (Philbin was 50 when he started). Listen, getting a HC gig is pretty tough, there's generally 6 or less openings a year.

By the way, there's a lot of current HC's that didn't get their first NFL HC start till they were around 50 or older...............Chip Kelly (49), Tom Coughlin (48), Mike Zimmer (57), Gus Bradley (47), Chuck Pagano (51), Bruce Arains (60), Mike Smith (48), Doug Marrone (47), Marc Trestman (56), Mike Pettine (47), Ron Rivera (49) and Jim Caldwell (54).

Sat May 31, 2014 9:20 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

shularino wrote:
Finster wrote:
shularino wrote:

I don't think the average age for first time HC's in their first year is 35 (Philbin was 50 when he started). Listen, getting a HC gig is pretty tough, there's generally 6 or less openings a year.

By the way, there's a lot of current HC's that didn't get their first NFL HC start till they were around 50 or older...............Chip Kelly (49), Tom Coughlin (48), Mike Zimmer (57), Gus Bradley (47), Chuck Pagano (51), Bruce Arains (60), Mike Smith (48), Doug Marrone (47), Marc Trestman (56), Mike Pettine (47), Ron Rivera (49) and Jim Caldwell (54).

Well, I didn't say it doesn't happen, but on your list there are only 3 guys who were 50 or older, Zimmer, Pagano and Trestman, and I'm taking into account that Philbin has never been a HC at any level, your list is only their first NFL HC spot, not their first HC job, Kelly was 45, Coughlin was 24, Ariens was 29, Marrone was 45, Pettine was 29 and Caldwell was 38.

There is also not a lot of proven talent in the list you give, many of them are in a similar boat to Philbin.

Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]