View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Knowshon deal is done 
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Knowshon deal is done
Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter 5m
Former Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, per league source.

Like I said the whole time it was going to be a very short term deal that still gives us room to draft a rb early and most likely give us a 3 headed rb combination so they all better have their boxing gloves to fight for playing time

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:09 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: Knowshon deal is done
Bye bye, Daniel Thomas.

Thanks for all those years running into the line of scrimmage backwards.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:10 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Rich wrote:
Bye bye, Daniel Thomas.

Exactly HE'S the one that's the loser in all of this which makes us all winners lol

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:13 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I like the signing.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:17 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

ag_fin_90 wrote:
Former Broncos RB Knowshon Moreno reached agreement on a one-year deal with the Miami Dolphins, per league source.

Like I said the whole time it was going to be a very short term deal that still gives us room to draft a rb early and most likely give us a 3 headed rb combination so they all better have their boxing gloves to fight for playing time

If anything, I doubt we draft a RB at all now.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:19 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
ag_fin_90 wrote:

So that would mean next year most likely we lose 1 or 2 rbs and all we have is Lamar Miller possibly? Its a 1 year deal.............

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

IamPZ, I actually think the complete opposite. Now you have two starting caliber experienced running backs on the roster now with the addition of Moreno. Great time to draft a rookie to break into the mix and ease along and if they draft smart, who knows that one could rise to the top sooner.

A one year deal is another prove it by your production contract. I like it and Moreno is still young and can be very much an asset.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:29 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

IamPZ, I actually think the complete opposite. Now you have two starting caliber experienced running backs on the roster now with the addition of Moreno. Great time to draft a rookie to break into the mix and ease along and if they draft smart, who knows that one could rise to the top sooner.

A one year deal is another prove it by your production contract. I like it and Moreno is still young and can be very much an asset.

I agree that a RB still will be taken, especially with Daniel Thomas likely gone. You would have Moreno, Lamar Miller and Mike Gillislee, and Gillislle is an unproven commodity right now as well.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s1U8xnS-yg

Knowshon Moreno highlights from Georgia when he was getting drafted into the NFL.

IMO, he is clearly the front runner to start. He is a running back that does not have to come off the field. Solid blocker too. 26 years old. Nearly 1600 all purpose -running-receiving yards with 13 touchdowns last season with the Broncos. The best year of his career, so we may be getting someone who can continue a productive pace. Good guy, good locker room presence and an experienced veteran running back.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:41 pm

I understand I'm in the minority, but I just don't think this staff puts as much stock in the position as some of you are thinking. Runningbacks in today's game are a dime a dozen. Would be shocked if we drafted another one before round 5... if at all.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:44 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I like the signing. Moreno brings two unique qualities that our current group of runningbacks lack. One, he's solid in pass protection. And two, he is a weapon in the passing game. In my opinion, he's Ronnie Brown lite, which is an upgrade over anything we've had since Reggie Bush.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Don't go to CBS to read the news....their article says we franchised Grimes and finished 7-9 last season. :haha

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:53 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

According to Ian Rappaport:

Quote:
Knowshon Moreno’s 1-year agreement with the #Dolphins is for about $3M, per source.

Nice cheap 1 year deal. If he plays lights out then extend him like Grimes. If not, no harm done. Good move.

Now, about that offensive line...

Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:58 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Love this pick up.. just got to hope he is healthy!

dude has stud qualities! and should be able to push miller as well... I hope...

now finish the o-line.. give them some running room..

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm

wkloiber13 wrote:
One, he's solid in pass protection.

Actually, Moreno rated slightly worse than Miller in pass protection.

But he was considerably better as a runner and pass catcher than both our backs.

Take into consideration that Moreno played on a team with one of the best QBs of all time, three good to great receivers, a good tight end, etc.

It's a lot easier to pick up those 4.3 YPC when teams absolutely to not dare to drop 8 in the box.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Yes, I read that too Rich and was surprised a bit because I keep reading that pass pro is supposed to be a strength of his. Is this a case of reputation being better than reality, or did he regress this past year compared to previous? Could it be a function of the new offensive system?

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

He'll suck for us, watch.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If our line isn't better, he'll have no chance. However, I think it will be. I do think there's a very real chance that his career year was more related to playing with Peyton and the bunch than anything else, but even so he's a solid veteran starter, which is more than we had.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:31 pm

k-dash wrote:
Quote:

Yes, I read that too Rich and was surprised a bit because I keep reading that pass pro is supposed to be a strength of his. Is this a case of reputation being better than reality, or did he regress this past year compared to previous? Could it be a function of the new offensive system?

Could be the system or the fact that the Broncos passed so much that he had to pass protect more.

Daniel Thomas was supposed to be good in pass pro but he was worse than Miller, so there could be something to that reputation point.

All that being said, I think Moreno is a definite upgrade over Thomas.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:33 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

But he was considerably better as a runner and pass catcher than both our backs.

Take into consideration that Moreno played on a team with one of the best QBs of all time, three good to great receivers, a good tight end, etc.

It's a lot easier to pick up those 4.3 YPC when teams absolutely to not dare to drop 8 in the box.

That surprises me to see Moreno slightly worse in pass protection than Miller. You are not on the field if Peyton does not trust you in the pass game.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:41 pm

phinsfansc wrote:
You are not on the field if Peyton does not trust you in the pass game.

Moreno was very good catching passes out of the backfield. Great safety valve for Peyton, who loves throwing to the backs.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
All that being said, I think Moreno is a definite upgrade over Thomas.

I like him over both Miller and Thomas. Hopefully, he comes in and he is not a product of the Denver Broncos system and carries those positive results over.

Although I definitely understand Lamar Miller will be given that chance to compete, but I do in my opinion believe Moreno is the front runner. However, I can see a dose of the two in Lazor's innovative offense.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:18 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Remember that he's the guy thats pass blocking for Denver in a much more pass heavy offense so I can see with way more opportunities he'd give up some plays at times but situationally he should do much better

Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:31 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Bye bye, Daniel Thomas.

WTF have you been watching Rich? Thomas has been a f'ing stud in Miami since his first start in 2011. Whoever else signs him will be lucky to get him.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:11 pm

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I wonder if he'll thank the 'Fins in his inevitable HoF speech down the road. Probably not.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm surprised there wasn't a better deal for him than an one-year contract for $3M. There really must not have been a lot of interest. Anyway, he's a good pickup + he'll have a lot of incentive to go full tilt.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:53 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

1100 rushing yards is what I am thinking. . Threat to catch the ball as well. Another great signing. Peyton really wanted this guy back. Tannehill should really benefit from this.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
He’s got toughness to him. And he’s really very, very good at blitz pickup.”

That final skill might be the most important for the Dolphins, who allowed a franchise-record 58 sacks in 2013. Of those, five were the fault of the running backs, according to the scouting service Pro Football Focus. Moreno, meanwhile, allowed just one in 19 regular-season and playoff games.

Added Logan: “You have to have a back back there that’s not afraid to stick his nose in there.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/27/4 ... rylink=cpy

I would say that does back up the thought that Moreno IS a good blocking block. He will definitely be an improvement in that area. Dave Logan covers the Bronco games and a former player himself.

Again, let's hope we see a well rounded back in Moreno when he steps on the field for Miami.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:29 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

1100 rushing yards is what I am thinking. . Threat to catch the ball as well. Another great signing. Peyton really wanted this guy back. Tannehill should really benefit from this.

Where would you rather play Mitch? MIA or DEN? His decision was an easy one.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:57 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I know Rich and his PFF or whatever he uses says Miller is a slightly better pass protector than Moreno, but I think he will be a big plus there as well. He a good, solid RB.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I agree Tony and I still think there is a place for Lamar Miller's speed. I am just glad that the Dolphins upgraded the running back role.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:05 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I say we give him number 3. I can peel the 1 off, sew an E in place of the I and I'll have a great recycled jersey

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

This is from the Miami Herald Sports Buzz. Interesting.

### PFF ranked Moreno eighth among all running backs as a pass blocker. For perspective, Miller was 33rd, Thomas 34th.

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:08 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

NFLJunkie wrote:
I say we give him number 3. I can peel the 1 off, sew an E in place of the I and I'll have a great recycled jersey

Ahhh Dude . . . . thats like sacrilegious

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:18 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

shularino wrote:
I'm surprised there wasn't a better deal for him than an one-year contract for $3M. There really must not have been a lot of interest. Anyway, he's a good pickup + he'll have a lot of incentive to go full tilt.

Thats what I was thinking too.

I'm liking these one year "prove it" deals. I didn't necessarily want this guy but at this price its a serious scoop.

Get motivated Lamar

Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:20 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

I question the sample size then. As I recall, it was Thomas or Clay who was being used to pick up the blitz the majority of the time. Miller wasn't really asked all that much to pass protect. Moreno on the other hand was the primary pass protecting back in Denver all season long. Jeff Saturday was on NFL Network today praising his pass protection skills, saying he was excellent at picking up the blitz and protecting Manning.

As for the rushing, I agree that his numbers were inflated due to opposing defenses being in the nickel package most of the game to counter Manning.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:32 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

phinsfansc wrote:
This is from the Miami Herald Sports Buzz. Interesting.

### PFF ranked Moreno eighth among all running backs as a pass blocker. For perspective, Miller was 33rd, Thomas 34th.

Don't forget, he's the 8th ranked pass protector on a team that threw the football more than anybody else in the NFL last year. That means he possibly could have picked up anywhere beteen 100 and 200 more blitzes than some of the other guys on that list.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 12:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Quote:
New Dolphins OC Bill Lazor has a run-heavy background dating back to his 2004-2007 run as an offensive assistant on Joe Gibbs' staff.
Gibbs' offenses with Lazor on staff finished 12th, fourth, eighth, and fifth in the NFL in rushing attempts. After stints in Seattle and at the University of Virginia, Lazor worked on Chip Kelly's Eagles staff last year, and Philly ranked fourth in rushing attempts. Lazor's offense figures to differ dramatically from ex-Fins OC Mike Sherman's pass-centric, sack-prone "attack."

-Rotoworld

Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:27 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

he runs and hits the hole hard...dancing is not gonna be an issue.

Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:51 am
Reply to topic   [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next