Phinfever.com

Catch the madness!

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ




Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:46 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:11 pm
Posts: 9458
Location: Fargo, ND
From ESPN
Quote:


New England Patriots trade offensive lineman Marcus Cannon to the Miami Dolphins for defensive lineman Jared Odrick

Why it works for New England: Cannon filled in for right tackle Sebastian Vollmer during the 2013 season, starting the final eight games. Cannon was dominant in the run game, though not as effective in the pass game. That being said, he's too talented to sit on the bench, and with Vollmer expected to be ready for the start of next season, the Patriots have their starting five from 2013 back intact. Odrick would fill a need to beef up the defensive line, bringing both run-stuffing force and interior pass-rush ability with him.

Why it works for Miami: The Dolphins have taken dramatic steps to shore up their protection woes from last season (QB Ryan Tannehill was sacked 58 times, most in the NFL), adding tackle Branden Albert, guard Shelley Smith and running back Knowshon Moreno, a sturdy blitz pickup back. Adding Cannon would bring a chip to the right side of the line. It would be a concern for Miami to lose Odrick and veteran defensive tackle Paul Soliai during the same offseason, but the pass-protection issues are too grave to overlook. An intradivision trade is almost unfathomable in the NFL, but both sides would benefit from this swap.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
Phin wrote:
Why it works for Miami: The Dolphins have taken dramatic steps to shore up their protection woes from last season (QB Ryan Tannehill was sacked 58 times, most in the NFL), adding tackle Branden Albert, guard Shelley Smith and running back Knowshon Moreno, a sturdy blitz pickup back. Adding Cannon would bring a chip to the right side of the line. It would be a concern for Miami to lose Odrick and veteran defensive tackle Paul Soliai during the same offseason, but the pass-protection issues are too grave to overlook. An intradivision trade is almost unfathomable in the NFL, but both sides would benefit from this swap.


Fixing one issue while creating another. Prime example of why Miami has been abysmal the past decade +.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:04 pm 
Offline
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm
Posts: 465
Phin wrote:
From ESPN
Quote:


New England Patriots trade offensive lineman Marcus Cannon to the Miami Dolphins for defensive lineman Jared Odrick

Why it works for New England: Cannon filled in for right tackle Sebastian Vollmer during the 2013 season, starting the final eight games. Cannon was dominant in the run game, though not as effective in the pass game. That being said, he's too talented to sit on the bench, and with Vollmer expected to be ready for the start of next season, the Patriots have their starting five from 2013 back intact. Odrick would fill a need to beef up the defensive line, bringing both run-stuffing force and interior pass-rush ability with him.

Why it works for Miami: The Dolphins have taken dramatic steps to shore up their protection woes from last season (QB Ryan Tannehill was sacked 58 times, most in the NFL), adding tackle Branden Albert, guard Shelley Smith and running back Knowshon Moreno, a sturdy blitz pickup back. Adding Cannon would bring a chip to the right side of the line. It would be a concern for Miami to lose Odrick and veteran defensive tackle Paul Soliai during the same offseason, but the pass-protection issues are too grave to overlook. An intradivision trade is almost unfathomable in the NFL, but both sides would benefit from this swap.

One of the biggest piece of crap trades I have ever seen smh


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:14 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:34 am
Posts: 74
AFC- why is this ill conceived article by ESPN an example of why we have been "abysmal"?

There are definitely reasons, but bad ideas by ESPN isn't one of them


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:27 pm 
Offline
2016 Thursday Blog Writer
2016 Thursday Blog Writer

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 6683
Miami has a wealth of DE's. If they're going to trade a DL guy it is going to be one of them and it woudln't be that bad an idea if they can get a quality OL guy in return. That said, you don't give the Patriots a guy that is going to haunt you for the next 10 seasons.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:38 pm 
Offline
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm
Posts: 62
You do not trade inside the division, period. Especially with the Pats, nothing I would hate more than to see Odrick have a field day sacking Tannehill and Bellicheat laughing on the sideline.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:00 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:23 pm
Posts: 6501
BetterThanYou wrote:
You do not trade inside the division, period. .

Overblown concept IMO. If the trade works for you then make it.


Top
   
PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:28 pm 
Offline
User avatar
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Delray Beach, Florida
hallphin wrote:
AFC- why is this ill conceived article by ESPN an example of why we have been "abysmal"?

There are definitely reasons, but bad ideas by ESPN isn't one of them



Lol, not at all what I meant... =/

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:30 am 
Offline
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:59 pm
Posts: 5117
Sounds exactly like something Miami would have done in the past. Trade a former 1st round pick who has been a consistent player for us, and get a backup right tackle and former 5th round pick with weight issues and medical concerns in return.
:hithead:

If we've learned anything from the Wes Welker trade it's that we should never trade with New England. If the Patriots are letting somebody go, it's because they've got nothing left in the tank that New England wants.

Miami is much better off drafting a pair of offensive linemen and then picking up a vet or two to fill out the remainder of the roster after the draft.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:33 am 
Offline
User avatar
2016 Post Game Blog Writer
2016 Post Game Blog Writer

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 24763
Location: Miami, FL
hallphin wrote:
AFC- why is this ill conceived article by ESPN an example of why we have been "abysmal"?

There are definitely reasons, but bad ideas by ESPN isn't one of them


I think it is pretty clear from AFC's post that he meant fixing one problem while creating another.

_________________
Image


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:11 am 
Offline
2016 MVP Donor!
2016 MVP Donor!

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm
Posts: 8282
Location: Topsfield, MA
I'm getting a little tired of ESPN mailing it in with some of their reporters. James Walker offers absolutely nothing. I've seen better inside information on this site from fans who aren't PAID to follow a team. And this article, although not written by Walker, is clearly done by a guy who looked up a few stats and did not do his homework on Miami's depth chart.

The problem is it doesn't work for Miami. Odrick is the superior player and comparable right tackles could still be signed.


Top
   
PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:10 am 
Offline
2016 MODERATOR
2016 MODERATOR

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am
Posts: 4104
Dumb trade - fully benefits the Patriots who have depth at the position and leaves us clinging to scraps at the DT position.


Top
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 

All times are UTC-05:00


Phinfever Home Page

Phinfever Chatroom

Phinfever FAQ


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 8 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Limited | Chopped and modified by Coots | Original design by Prosk8r