View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Offensive Line STILL a concern 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Offensive Line STILL a concern
I thought Armando's article made some sense and yes as of right now, I am very concerned about the offensive line. If no more FA's get signed they cannot afford to miss period in the draft or else we will once again watch Tannehill on his back.

The Dolphins’ 2013 offensive line was the worst and most disastrous unit ever fielded in team history. That’s saying a lot because Miami was once an expansion franchise and the latter day offensive line problems date back nearly a decade.

And yet after starting fast and strong, signing Albert about three seconds after agreements were allowed, the Dolphins seemingly stopped to consider value and as a result have not fixed their most outstanding problem.

The team liked Denver guard Zane Beadles. But whereas the Dolphins were seeking a value contract for the player, the more eager (and desperate) Jacksonville Jaguars swooped in and signed Beadles for $6 million per season.

That’s a lot of money. It’s right tackle money. But that was the Beadles market and the Dolphins didn’t see value in it. So the Jaguars filled their need with a very good player whereas the Dolphins chased but didn’t catch the prize.

The Dolphins instead shopped for value at guard by getting project player and sometimes Rams starter Shelley Smith for $5.5 million over two years ($2.75 million-per-year average). He might be good. He might not. He offers no certainty.

Meanwhile, Geoff Schwartz ($4.2 million average) definitely will be a starting guard for the Giants and Jon Asamoah ($4.5 million) definitely will be a starting guard for the Falcons.

Miami also has not addressed the right tackle position. Austin Howard got $6 million per year from the Raiders to play right tackle.

Miami’s inability to land a right tackle forced Hickey to plead with New Orleans tackle Zach Strief to visit the Dolphins as a lead-up to a contract. Strief is 30 years old and doesn’t have a contract. He wants to return to the Saints but they have limited salary-cap space now.

Strief declined the invite anyway.

Me? I would have paid — and, yes, overpaid — for Beadles and Howard to go along with Albert. The left side of my line would today be very expensive but also be set for the next half-decade while center Mike Pouncey and Howard at right tackle could insulate a coming rookie at right guard.

I saw the Dolphins give up a league-high 58 sacks and last season. I saw precious few holes for the running game. I would have fixed that line by signing the three best available free agents the first week of free agency before other teams scooped them up.

And I would have gladly paid for it.

But that’s not the Miami way. The Dolphins didn’t want to overspend. They wanted value.

So now Hickey either has to spend two draft picks — for a guard and right tackle — or find a stopgap player such as Tyson Clabo, Eric Winston or someone of that ilk to play right tackle. If the GM invests a draft pick on a right tackle, it probably would have to be an early pick (rounds 1-3) because not many right tackles drafted in the fourth through seventh rounds are good enough fast enough to start as rookies.

So how’s that value strategy looking through that prism?

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/03/16/3 ... rylink=cpy

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Offensive Line STILL a concern
I feel the line is already better than what it was last year, and I'm sure we will sign another lineman somewhere, and I also believe we will find a nice starting right tackle in the draft.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:00 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

I don't agree with Salguero at ALL. You don't overpay for a OG like he was wanting the Dolphins to do with Zane Beadles. They never had a chance to sign Austin Howard, as the Raiders were his first visit.

I think the Dolphins have done a nice job with the signings on the OL, and have time to continue to add.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Overpay for o lineman who wont be great or find the value, spend it on many areas of need and save some for the guys of the future like Odrick, Clay, Tannehill, Vernon and Pouncey? Yeah, ill take the latter of the two

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:39 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

phinsfansc wrote:
I don't agree with Salguero at ALL. You don't overpay for a OG like he was wanting the Dolphins to do with Zane Beadles. They never had a chance to sign Austin Howard, as the Raiders were his first visit.

I think the Dolphins have done a nice job with the signings on the OL, and have time to continue to add.

Spot on Tony. See the contracts for Jake Grove, Justin Smiley, etc. and we should agree it would be nuts for Miami to overspend on a name.

I have no idea if Shelley Smith is an upgrade over John Jerry, Sam Brenner, Nate Garner and Richie Incognito. But for 2 million that is fine.

Miami could re-sign McKinnie or Clabo, and throw a 1 year deal to Wade Smith. Then draft BPA and see if any rookies or current players can compete for the starting job.

I don't want Miami forced to draft Zack Martin, Morgan Moses or any other OL prospects in the first round. There is going to be a very good, starting caliber waiting to be picked. As someone pointed out, last year everyone thought Tyler Eifert was going top 15 and he was taken 21st. What if he is there at 19? Or Mike Evans? Or a playmaking guy on defense?

Continue to fill holes, not overspend. Finnegan and Albert may have been overpaid but neither contract is back breaking. Do a bunch of those and we have last year all over again.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

swerve13 wrote:
I feel the line is already better than what it was last year, and I'm sure we will sign another lineman somewhere, and I also believe we will find a nice starting right tackle in the draft.

I agree ... no worries. It was so bad that what has been done in this short time is very good.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:03 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It's being addressed bit by bit. Three of the five spots are already taken and you can be sure that Sam Brenner is Gina fill one guard spot. Strief would be a major coup de grace if he can get his mind out of the Big Easy

Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:26 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Anthony Collins is another tackle that Miami missed out on signing. This 28 year old former Cincinnati Bengal signed with Tampa Bay for 5 years 30 million. 15 million guaranteed. I would have loved to see them go all out for one more blue chip free agent O-lineman like Collins or Howard. This is the year Miami needs to not only address the o-line but fix the o-line. No more blue light specials and 34 year old band aids. Spend the money.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Playing Devil's Advocate, time will tell how smart these moves were or were not.

Tony IF Miami would have been interested in Howard, they would have the chance, so they chose not to bid higher for his services. That's fine, a plan that could look great or this is a plan (outside Albert) that still has problems.

They have made some nice moves this off season, but being realistic, your gambling on Shelley Smith being an everyday starter, Finnegan resorting back to form and Delmas to stay away from injuries.

I am definitely hoping for the best, but things are still unsettled until they do get fixed. Just my opinion. 58 sacks to your QB will make a fan feel this way.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:39 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Buccaneers are "open to listening to offers" for C/G Jeremy Zuttah.
Zuttah's $4.5 million base salary will be prohibitive, especially when interested clubs know the Buccaneers will likely just wind up releasing him. The Bucs' entire line took a step back last season, and GM Jason Licht has prioritized overhauling it. Zuttah, 27, has generally been a quality NFL starter.

I don't know the details of his contract. But when you consider Miami was willing to pay that salary to Zane Beadles it shouldn't be out of the realm of possibility to offer a late round pick for him. Miami has 25 million to spend and he is a known quantity that fills a need. I like it better than hoping a rookie or Dallas Thomas steps up.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:01 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Adam Beasely reporting that Miami is looking into former Texans OT Ryan Harris.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:16 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dallas Thomas will blossom into a Pro-Bowl player. Shelley Smith will be the FA answer we've been hoping for. We will draft a hall-of-fame RT and have the best O-line in the division.

I'm channeling my inner FINesse.

:haha

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:29 am
Phinfever Global Moderator, Design Admin

I still think we take a Offensive Lineman with our 1st rounder. Even if Ebron is there.

I don't know much about the players coming out... but based on judging a position all by itself, I can't see us passing on an offensive lineman.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Zack Martin is gone, Morgan Moses would be a significant reach at 19 overall.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:52 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
I still think we take a Offensive Lineman with our 1st rounder. Even if Ebron is there.

I don't know much about the players coming out... but based on judging a position all by itself, I can't see us passing on an offensive lineman.

Unless they have faith that Egnew or Sims is a jump ball target I cannot see them passing on Ebron if he's available.

Word now is that McKinnie is open to playing right tackel and would like to return to Miami. I'd actually like that move a lot.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:54 am

jammer wrote:
IamPZ wrote:

Unless they have faith that Egnew or Sims is a jump ball target I cannot see them passing on Ebron if he's available.

Word now is that McKinnie is open to playing right tackel and would like to return to Miami. I'd actually like that move a lot.

Don't know much about Hickey, but Philbin doesn't strike me as a guy taking a TE in the first round.

That's not to say I'm not interested in the kid, just judging by how this team has drafted in the past, I'd be shocked if we went with the Tight End.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

IamPZ wrote:
Don't know much about Hickey, but Philbin doesn't strike me as a guy taking a TE in the first round.

That's not to say I'm not interested in the kid, just judging by how this team has drafted in the past, I'd be shocked if we went with the Tight End.

That is where the confusion comes in. Seems all of the past draft decisions are being pinned on Ireland so we're left to wonder what influence Philbin had or who he would target.

I would think Philbin is hoping to take someone who will save his job in the first round. Miami needs touchdowns. They didn't have a consistent red zone target, or running back who could pound it in for that matter.

I won't be made if they draft an OL guy at 19, but would be disappointed if a greater value was there and they went need instead.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:28 am
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

swerve13 wrote:
If Zack Martin is gone, Morgan Moses would be a significant reach at 19 overall.

I think if Martin is gone before we pick, we will either trade down of draft BPA and look to the later rounds to draft an OL. You Ebron fans may get your wish, if he falls that far.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:02 pm

rtwelve1993 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

I think if Martin is gone before we pick, we will either trade down of draft BPA and look to the later rounds to draft an OL. You Ebron fans may get your wish, if he falls that far.

Good chance he doesn't fall past the Jets.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:05 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

IamPZ wrote:
rtwelve1993 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

after they've missed on another cb dont be shocked if that cb from OK St turns into the pick for the Jets

Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:04 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

IamPZ wrote:
rtwelve1993 wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Lots of folks talking the Steelers taking him at 15.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I've read that the Jets are all over Brandin Cooks nuts.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]