View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 ESPN: Bills & Dolphins were "top suitors" for Chris Johnson 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post ESPN: Bills & Dolphins were "top suitors" for Chris Johnson
Quote:
A source tells ESPN's Paul Kuharsky that the Bills and Dolphins were Chris Johnson's "top suitors" in pre-release trade discussions. Kuharsky reports Buffalo and Miami "were the teams that came closest to making a move," but he "can't envision" Johnson wanting to play for the Bills, and the Dolphins' offensive line woes may ultimately discourage CJ?K from signing there. We still see Buffalo as the longest of shots. ESPN's Adam Schefter has reported the Jets and Falcons have also shown interest in Johnson.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4743/chris-johnson

Quote:
The Titans held on to Chris Johnson until Friday because they felt they had potential to trade him.

At least two teams gave Tennessee a real sense that a deal could be reached. ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter reported four teams were interested, but a source tells me Miami and Buffalo were the teams that came closest to making a move.

Johnson would have had to reduce his contract, which called for base salaries of $8 million, $8 million and $7 million.

I can't envision Johnson wanting to go to Buffalo. Choosing to hit the open market instead of facilitating a trade there would be an understandable move.

The Dolphins and Miami might be attractive. But if he didn't like the Titans' offensive line in transition, the shakeup the Dolphins have undergone hardly suggests a line that will have jelled by opening day.

http://espn.go.com/blog/tennessee-titan ... ors-for-cj

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:03 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: ESPN: Bills & Dolphins were "top suitors" for Chris Johnson
Interesting. It must have come down to the terms of a new contract. It wouldn't have taken much in the way of a draft choice to take Johnson off the Titans hands. Especially when they ended up releasing him out right.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

This was all prior to the Moreno signing, right? I don't see any logic in even thinking of bringing the guy in now.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:16 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
This was all prior to the Moreno signing, right? I don't see any logic in even thinking of bringing the guy in now.

Interesting indeed. You would possibly think that Miami has no interest, but most of us feel they will draft another running back via the draft, in my case 2.

See how this plays out.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:05 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

That guy just signs contracts & then complains about them.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:24 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

FINesse wrote:
That guy just signs contracts & then complains about them.

He did not complain after he finally got the contract he wanted and I think deserved. He and his agent need to realize now that NO RB is getting a big deal now.

He has not had anything close to his 2000 yard season, but the OL is not as good as it was, and I do think he has looked for the big play to much also.

That said, he has been very durable and has been over 1000 yards since that 2000 yard season. He is still very explosive and a homerun threat.

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:13 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'm a little confused how it would make sense to have CJ and Moreno both. Would it be exciting to think of the possibilities in Lazor's run-heavy offense to have two 1,000 yard rushers on the roster as opposed to Thomas/Miller? Heck yeah, but what kind of $ will he want... would he agree to being a part of a tandem? It just seems so very unlikely. Then also there's always been a diva quality to CJ that annoyed me, but I'll be ok with it if he's ripping off 70 yard runs for us. :grin:

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:06 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

We could have a speed package with miller and johnson in the backfield, clay at TE, Wallace at WR and Thigpen in motion...speed kills! Wildcat 2.0

Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:28 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He's a waste. Kind of a 'has been'

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:06 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Now that Chris Johnson has a choice on where he wants to go to, I imagine he will do as Peyton Manning did and go to a team that fits his skill-set. That would be one that actually has an established offensive line. I would say that if anyone has their hopes on CJ in a Dolphins uniform will be feeling a little Peyton Manning miffed.

ESPN Insider looks at possible landing places for CJ.

Quote:
Looking for teams that make some sense as potential landing spots for Johnson, I touched base with ESPN NFL Insiders Field Yates and Matt Williamson for their thoughts:

New York Jets: They have garnered the most buzz thus far and are a logical landing spot; 6-foot, 226-pound Chris Ivoryis their lead back, but they lack playmakers in their backfield. "This offense is very short on big-play potential. And at this stage of his career, I think Johnson would benefit from having a bigger guy to carry the load," noted Williamson.

St. Louis Rams: They reportedly are not interested in Johnson, but that doesn't mean they wouldn't consider him as a free agent. Williamson called the Rams his favorite fit for Johnson, and Yates likes the idea of pairing CJ with powerback Zac Stacy: "The Rams added an absurd amount of speed on offense last year, but Johnson would add it to a backfield that has just one consistent and reliable performer: Stacy."

Baltimore Ravens: The Ravens' backfield crashed last season, and now Ray Riceis in trouble with the law. Williamson wonders: "With Ray Rice's legal situation, could the Ravens look to Johnson as a replacement or complement? Baltimore's run game was simply awful last year. Maybe Johnson could help."

New England Patriots: Could the Pats consider replacing LeGarrette Blountwith CJ? "The Patriots like to collect RBs and lost Blount. They are very good at using RBs to the best of their abilities and could use Johnson in a committee or rotation," said Williamson.

Chicago Bears: Matt Fortehas proved to be durable, but they're playing with fire if he ever suffers a long-term injury. Yates thinks that adding Johnson would make sense "purely from a depth standpoint. The Bears have no running backs with an NFL carry on their depth chart beyond Matt Forte. At some point, this is a must-address situation."

Cleveland Browns: They seemingly took care of their backfield by signing free agent Ben Tate, but why not double down with Johnson? "Ben Tate has never been a full-time workhorse for a team for a full season. The Browns need to add at least one more running back to what is a murky depth chart beyond Tate, and the price could be right on Johnson," noted Yates.

Oakland Raiders: This may seem like an odd landing spot, because they re-signed Darren McFadden and added Maurice Jones-Drew, but as Yates notes, "Neither player's contract is so onerous that adding another back would be counterproductive. McFadden's deal includes only $100,000 in guaranteed money -- it's not a sure thing that he'll be a big part of their Week 1 plans."

Minnesota Vikings: Adrian Peterson has shown durability issues in recent years, so the Vikings could make sense if Johnson is willing to become a change-of-pace back as Toby Gerhart's replacement.

In the end, there might not be a perfect landing spot for Johnson at this time, which is why another option for him may be to remain a free agent until the season nears to see if an injury opens up a more direct line to a genuine lead-back role.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/nfl/rum ... t?id=19849

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:21 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I thought he looked like he had lost half a step, of course he's so friggen fast that he's still fast but I do think he's on the down side of his career, he has always been good at making people miss and just beating teams to the edge but he never was any good at actually breaking tackles so when he loses a half a step it hurts his game since his game was based on speed.

I don't see any reason we should be interested in him at this stage of our team development or of his career, we already have the poor mans version of CJ and CJ himself is starting to become the poor mans version of himself.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:55 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

He requires top notch blocking to do his thing. He's just a speed back. Can't shed tackles and create on his own. We have that in Miller.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:56 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
We have that in Miller.

If Miami had a chance to get Chris Johnson for the "right price" and if they decided to sign him, which I know is doubtful at this point, but Johnson is WAY better than Miller. You cannot even compare the two based on NFL credentials. That is not meant to be a knock on Lamar, but just the fact that Chris Johnson is a proven back.

At 28 years old and as fast as that guy still is, he can still be a threat. Imagine having him and Moreno.....for the right price you wouldn't hear me complain. However, right now, the offensive line is my main concern. Too many holes still left there.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:26 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

CJ to me is going to wear down soon as Miller may have more upside for the future. I think this was before Moreno because CJ can pass block and catch if needed so he could've been good and maybe somebody Miller could've modeled his game around but that's out of the question now so no point in worrying

Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:47 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
He requires top notch blocking to do his thing. He's just a speed back. Can't shed tackles and create on his own. We have that in Miller.

You're talkin' two different classes of speed there. Miller is not even on CJ's planet.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
You're talkin' two different classes of speed there. Miller is not even on CJ's planet.

Look no offense to anyone that thinks Lamar is the future, but as I stated before I agree with this comment Rock made, I mean Johnson had a 2000 yard season, how can you even mention Miller in the same breath at this point? CJ if healthy still has gas left in the tank at 28. We better hope the Jets do not get him is all I can say.

Let's talk about Miller when he actually does something.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:28 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

Look no offense to anyone that thinks Lamar is the future, but as I stated before I agree with this comment Rock made, I mean Johnson had a 2000 yard season, how can you even mention Miller in the same breath at this point? CJ if healthy still has gas left in the tank at 28. We better hope the Jets do not get him is all I can say.

Let's talk about Miller when he actually does something.

Put it like this, if Miami were to sign Chris to a one year team friendly deal, I would not be mad. That for darn sure.

He has been THE offense for the Titans for a long period of time. Chris has been guilty of looking for the big play, but the OL is not as good as it was during the 2,000 yard season. That said, he has still gained over 1,000 yards every season after the 2,000 yard season.

Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

except Miller is a boatload cheaper and the production is very similar now. That 2000 yard Chris Johnson is long gone.

Quote:
Former NFL RB Terrell Davis questioned Chris Johnson's effort.
It's notable because we've noticed similar issues while watching Johnson run over the past three seasons. "When I watch film, I don't see the effort in him," Davis said. "And I never, ever want to question somebody's effort. But ... the tape, it doesn't lie. And I don't see the desire I saw when he was Chris Johnson, the no-big-contract Chris Johnson." Pro Football Focus ranked CJ?K 30th among 32 qualifiers in yards after contact per attempt this season. As Davis put it, he's no longer "willing to bang your head against the wall if the wall is not breaking down." Johnson is fully expected to be released by the Titans before the new league year opens.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:13 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Chris Johnson is many things, and few of those things are good right now. Set to turn 29 a few weeks into the 2014 season, he’s an old man by the standards of his position, a decline made even more real by his 2,014 career touches. He’s also a shell of his former self, with less explosive downfield shaking and/or baking, and much more backfield dancing that ends badly. He had only 1,077 rushing yards this past season, which is a drop of 287 yards from his total just a few years back in 2010, and he arrived there at a career low pace of 3.9 yards per carry.
Those numbers are bad news for a running back, and with Johnson that’s especially true when we toss in another awful digit: $8 million, his scheduled paycheck in 2014. It’s a hefty sum, and one set to make him the highest paid running back in the league not named Adrian Peterson next season if he stays with the Tennessee Titans.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nfl/2014/04/0 ... Line+Stand)

Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:14 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

Maybe not now. Do we know CJ at age 29 is still as fast as CJ at 22. Logic suggest he has lost a step after 6 yrs of taking NFL hits.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:27 am

Quote:
Put it like this, if Miami were to sign Chris to a one year team friendly deal, I would not be mad. That for darn sure.

He has been THE offense for the Titans for a long period of time. Chris has been guilty of looking for the big play, but the OL is not as good as it was during the 2,000 yard season. That said, he has still gained over 1,000 yards every season after the 2,000 yard season.

Agreed. Dont like the carrying on he has done about his contract situations. That said if he goes to the Jets I would not like that at all.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Logic suggest he has lost a step after 6 yrs of taking NFL hits.

Possibly so, but he is still really fast and is more experienced and has shown more ability. If you signed him to a one year deal and the money was reasonable, some team is going to get a very good running back threat to add.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:18 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Rock Sexton wrote:

Maybe not now. Do we know CJ at age 29 is still as fast as CJ at 22. Logic suggest he has lost a step after 6 yrs of taking NFL hits.

my point was that they are both wispy speed backs, and we already have that role filled, even though I know Miller never rushed for 2000 yards before, but that doesnt really matter at this point. One guy has just started his career and the other guy looks about done.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:05 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:
Logic suggest he has lost a step after 6 yrs of taking NFL hits.

Possibly so, but he is still really fast and is more experienced and has shown more ability. If you signed him to a one year deal and the money was reasonable, some team is going to get a very good running back threat to add.

He barely gets a 1000 yards anymore. He fell off a cliff a few years back.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:07 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
my point was that they are both wispy speed backs, and we already have that role filled, even though I know Miller never rushed for 2000 yards before, but that doesnt really matter at this point. One guy has just started his career and the other guy looks about done.

6 years total and CJ is done already?

Btw, Miller ran the 40 is 4.4 and CJ ran it in 4.24 ..... I wouldn't classify Miller as a speed back.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
He barely gets a 1000 yards anymore. He fell off a cliff a few years back.

Since we already have Moreno now I am sure this polite debate is non existing for Miami to get Johnson anyway, but CJ still has some gas in the tank and I would gladly bring him in and have a double headed threat coming out of the Dolphins backfield and in a heartbeat I would take CJ over Lamar Miller. This will be the year that Lamar Miller either earns playing time over Moreno or I could also see him take a back seat too and play a part-time role.

In the meantime, if I were the Denver Broncos and you can get CJ reasonable, they should snag him. With that line, Peyton Manning and those receivers he would probably put up some nice numbers.

Right now, I want to see Miami vastly improve the offensive line which to me is still a HUGE concern.

You sign ONE day one starter to fill multiple gaps on the o-line and then you sign guys with "potential" to start and now rely on the draft. Man, my fingers are crossed.......

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:51 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Signing Johnson to pair with Moreno and Miller would be so unjustifiably out of the blue, and a dumb signing overall. It's not going to happen, and that's a good thing.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't see Miami going after him obviously after signing Moreno. All I hope is that CJ stays out of the AFC East and particularly not to the Jets or Pats. He has enough gas in the tank left that I don't want want our division foes to snag him.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:35 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Finhead Denver is a good ideal spot, makes alot of sense.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I hope we add Tre Mason or Terence West to team up with Moreno and Miller.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
Btw, Miller ran the 40 is 4.4 and CJ ran it in 4.24 ..... I wouldn't classify Miller as a speed back.

Rock 4.4 is really really fast. Especially for a runningback. It's on par with the fastest backs in any draft. Go check the combine results. Miller is absolutely a speed back. CJ just happened to be the rare 4.2 guy.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Rock 4.4 is really really fast. Especially for a runningback. It's on par with the fastest backs in any draft. Go check the combine results. Miller is absolutely a speed back. CJ just happened to be the rare 4.2 guy.

You beat me to it swerve, +1.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:54 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:

But you compared Miller's speed to that of CJ's and it's laughable. If Miller is a speed back, then CJ is a hyper-sonic back.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:50 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

This is a real simple thing for me. You bring him down for a workout (if there is still interest since signing Moreno). If the man can rip of a 40 yard dash in under 4.4, you make him an offer. If he can run a sub-4.3 40 yard dash, you make him a solid offer. If not, you look at someone like Tre Mason in the draft.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

But you compared Miller's speed to that of CJ's and it's laughable. If Miller is a speed back, then CJ is a hyper-sonic back.

but you also said Miller was not a 'speed back', which he is.
And Johnson may be another notch faster, but does it show anymore? Just look at his recent results. He's just another back now. Not worth his contract.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

swerve13 wrote:
Johnson may be another notch faster, but does it show anymore? Just look at his recent results. He's just another back now. Not worth his contract

He's not worth his 8-mill a year contract, no. The question is, what will he settle for? Because no one is paying him 8 mill a year now. He'll be lucky to get 4, and luckier still to get more than a year gauranteed.

If he can be had on the cheap, go for it. I doubt he'll sign with us though. Everyone seems to be playing cat and mouse with him. Problem is he thinks he's the cat, and he's not.

Last edited by k-dash on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

swerve13 wrote:
but you also said Miller was not a 'speed back', which he is.
And Johnson may be another notch faster, but does it show anymore? Just look at his recent results. He's just another back now. Not worth his contract.

I'm moreso pointing out your desire to marginalize CJ. He has top end speed and break away ability that Miller will never see in his life. Why is it Lamar's lack of performance can be placed on the O-line, but CJ's these past few years cannot? You speak as if he's on the wrong side of 30 and beat up. His old contract is irrelevant.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It isn't just me that thinks Johnson's best football is behind him. Plenty of NFL people think so.
Titans have been trying to dump him for 2 years now.

Johnson's line was better than Miami's. I bet Miller could get over 1000 with the same amount of carries CJ got. Nobody could run behind our line last year.

Even behind our league worst line Miller still had a better average than CJ. That speaks volumes.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

why would we add an aging overpriced RB that is so comparable to the cheap 3rd year back we already have? We need a banger like Carlos Hyde or Terence West. Someone that doesn't fall down at first contact.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:09 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:
He has top end speed and break away ability that Miller will never see in his life. Why is it Lamar's lack of performance can be placed on the O-line, but CJ's these past few years cannot?

Lamar averaged a higher YPC behind the worst offensive line in Miami Dolphin history than Johnson did behind his in Tennessee. Anyone who thinks Lamar's career is already a done deal after a rookie season where he played a back up role behind Reggie Bush with only 51 touches on the season, and started the next behind a historically bad offensive line, is straight up foolish.

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next