View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ] 
 Nolan Carroll or Corland Finnegan? 

Nolan Carroll at $5.2 million over 2 years 39%  39%  [ 9 ]
Cortland Finnegan at $11 million over 2 years 61%  61%  [ 14 ]
Total votes : 23

Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Nolan Carroll or Corland Finnegan?
Do you agree with Hickey's decision to sign Finnegan over Carroll?

Dave Hyde wrote:
3. Nolan Carroll at $5.2 million over two years (as Philadelphia signed him for) or Cortland Finnegan at two years, $11 million as the Dolphins did)? Hmm.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:59 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Nolan Carroll or Corland Finnegan?
Dave, I have been trying to find the actual "guaranteed" portion of the Finnegan deal as that makes a big difference and it is my understanding that this contract is laced with playing time and playing healthy agreements built into this contract he signed.

IF he performs back to his starting caliber form than sure he is worth it as I though Carroll got beat way too much and personally have not lost sleep over it and the bigger picture anyway is that you hope Jamar Taylor gets groomed up. Davis too, but that guy reminds me too much of Terrell Buckley's gambling for the ball attribute of getting beaten badly and not consistent.

It is hard though to still gauge Taylor because of his health condition and not getting on the field a lot, BUT, he seems to be the one folks are higher up on.

Hopefully, in the meantime Cortland comes in like Grimes did and anchors down a spot.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:18 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

No, we should have resigned Carrol. Finnegan sucks.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:23 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

If Finnegan is healthy, he will help and I still think the $11 Million is based on his health and playing time. Carroll's nickname was Burnt Toast (Some Dolphin fans in the Finsider chat room said that which I thought was funny) and I don't see Miami missing him. There is a good reason they are moving on from him. Is Finnegan the answer? Time will tell just like with Grimes coming back from a serious Achilles injury. There was a lot of doubt and he really proved himself, let's hope Finnegan rejuvenates himself in Miami.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:40 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Finnegan struggled last year, but he was injured and missed over half of the year and he did also struggle prior to that. That said, he has been a proven commodity for a longer period of time than Carroll and has been a much more productive player.

Coming back healthy, with something to prove, I believe he will be the better player still.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

After looking at the numbers. Finnegan is better than Carrol, but not 5 million better. I expect better play from Finnegan this yr. He will add some toughness to Miami.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Finnegan is a proven starter who I fully expect to have a very good season now that he is moving back to the right side. Carroll is a backup who was forced to start because of injuries. These two players are nothing alike. One is/was (depending on your opinion) elite, the other is as mediocre as they come.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:06 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

wkloiber13 wrote:
Finnegan is a proven starter who I fully expect to have a very good season now that he is moving back to the right side. Carroll is a backup who was forced to start because of injuries. These two players are nothing alike. One is/was (depending on your opinion) elite, the other is as mediocre as they come.

To be fair to Carroll, he improved a lot in 2013. I still would take Finnegan over him because we are just talking about last year seeing real improvement, but you did see signs of Carroll improving as a CB.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:30 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

There were so many times during a play that Carroll would just stop. The one that sticks in my head the most was against the Jets the 2nd time and Geno ran in for a TD and one of our guys was trying to run Geno backwards but Carroll instead of helping push just stood there and watched Geno score. I had to replay it a few times to make sure I saw it right.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:37 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

If we signed him to the 11m guaranteed I have a problem with choosing him over Carroll. If it is incentive based that totals 11m based on games played it makes it a little more tolerable.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:16 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I haven't seen the contract specifics, but one would believe this IS an incentive laden agreement.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:21 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Finnegan ... why , because he is currently a Fin , Carroll is not ... nuff said.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:24 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

I would have preferred Carroll back given the contract specs.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Rich, have you seen the specifics of the guaranteed portion of Finnegan's contract?

Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:30 pm

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

Rich, have you seen the specifics of the guaranteed portion of Finnegan's contract?

No and it doesn't really matter. I would have been happy to bring Carroll back for what he got in the open market.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:38 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

I was never impressed with Carroll. He was mediocre at best. Finnegan didn't have a good year but at his best he is much better than Carroll. I think we are better off taking a chance that Finnegan regains pro bowl form rather than Carroll suddenly becomes a much better player than he has ever shown himself to be.

Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:10 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Sounds like Finnegan is a good locker room leader and role model for the young guys. I get the feeling that was part of the signing aka bringing a new attitude into the locker room.

Lots of guys reporting Miami is very high on Jamar Taylor. Have to wonder if he is the projected starter or will consistently rotate with Finnegan.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:39 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I went with Finnegan on this, and it was with the hope that Finnegan can get it back. While Carroll improved this past year, you kind of get the feeling that he's shown us all he can do. With Finnegan he could be something special. Go with average or go with possible greatness? I think I'll roll the dice on Finnegan in hopes that he has a Grimes type of rebound from an injury. Being .500 is average and seems to be the Ireland way. I think this team needs to continue to raise the bar. Worst case is that he is cut after a year and it pushes Jamar Taylor to starter status.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:53 am
Profile WWW

catman_56 wrote:
I was never impressed with Carroll. He was mediocre at best.

Maybe so, when you are targeted 90 times and you allow 43 completions, 2 TDs and 3 INTs, that's pretty decent.

Quote:
Finnegan didn't have a good year

Understate much? He was the 2nd WORST CB in the league.

76% completion, 4 TDs and 1 INT in 7 games is pretty awful.

Quote:
but at his best he is much better than Carroll.

If his decline isn't permanent, but if it is, we just paid double for a terrible Finnegan over a decent Carroll.

Quote:
I think we are better off taking a chance that Finnegan regains pro bowl form rather than Carroll suddenly becomes a much better player than he has ever shown himself to be.

We have seen this story a thousand times. What you said above is what rarely happens to the Dolphins.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:56 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
I was never impressed with Carroll. He was mediocre at best.

Maybe so, when you are targeted 90 times and you allow 43 completions, 2 TDs and 3 INTs, that's pretty decent.

Quote:
Finnegan didn't have a good year

Understate much? He was the 2nd WORST CB in the league.

76% completion, 4 TDs and 1 INT in 7 games is pretty awful.

Quote:
but at his best he is much better than Carroll.

If his decline isn't permanent, but if it is, we just paid double for a terrible Finnegan over a decent Carroll.

Quote:
I think we are better off taking a chance that Finnegan regains pro bowl form rather than Carroll suddenly becomes a much better player than he has ever shown himself to be.

We have seen this story a thousand times. What you said above is what rarely happens to the Dolphins.

We can all site some stats to back up our points. I just put no value in your opinion Rich so I am not going to argue with you.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:27 am

catman_56 wrote:
I just put no value in your opinion Rich

That was completely unnecessary on your part, some people can't handle differing opinions.

But hey, if you value opinions without analysis more... then more power to you.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:36 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

We've seen Finnegan have a better year than Carroll is capable of so I went with him. Carroll is serviceable at best.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:44 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It's kind of like the Grimes situation last year. Nobody wanted him coming off of major injury. We rolled the dice and it paid off big. Can happen again.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:56 pm

swerve13 wrote:
It's kind of like the Grimes situation last year.

Not really. Grimes was playing at a high level before his injury.

Finnegan's play had declined even while healthy. He didn't miss time in 2012 and was still pretty bad.

Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:28 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
It's kind of like the Grimes situation last year.

Not really. Grimes was playing at a high level before his injury.

Finnegan's play had declined even while healthy. He didn't miss time in 2012 and was still pretty bad.

Rich, you should really look at the video of Finnegan on the Dolphins website (I believe with the Phinsider guys). Finnegan does a very solid job answering for his two seasons in St. Louis. That response and why he chose Miami won me over on the guy. I truly think he's going to have a bounce back season and return to playing at a high level.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:34 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

wkloiber13 wrote:
Rich, you should really look at the video of Finnegan on the Dolphins website (I believe with the Phinsider guys). Finnegan does a very solid job answering for his two seasons in St. Louis. That response and why he chose Miami won me over on the guy. I truly think he's going to have a bounce back season and return to playing at a high level.

That's crazy. I would've expected him to talk bad about himself and give the eulogy for his career.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:14 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
That's crazy. I would've expected him to talk bad about himself and give the eulogy for his career.

:haha

I'm eager to see how this plays out.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:56 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

New Dolphins CB Cortland Finnegan's two-year, $11 million deal includes $5.5 million guaranteed.
The deal includes a $2 million signing bonus, while Finnegan's $3.5 million 2014 base salary is fully guaranteed. He's due a non-guaranteed $5.45 million in 2015. It's a surprisingly-large commitment for a 30-year-old corner who has struggled mightily each of the past two seasons. We have a hard time imagining another team would've been willing to give Finnegan this kind of pay day.
Source: Armando Salguero on Twitter
Mar 17 - 1:45 P

we overpaid for a player in decline,,,i voted carroll

Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm

Rock Sexton wrote:
wkloiber13 wrote:

:yay:

Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:36 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Holy smokes, Rich did you see the guarantee portion of Finnegan's deal???

Gee wiz, does this have Reggie Torber or Ernest Wilford written all over it? I sure hope not.....

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:12 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finhead34 wrote:
Holy smokes, Rich did you see the guarantee portion of Finnegan's deal???

Gee wiz, does this have Reggie Torber or Ernest Wilford written all over it? I sure hope not.....

Neither were Pro Bowlers before so no it does not. His contract is basically a 1 year deal........... thats a gooooooooooooooooood thing

Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:50 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Neither were Pro Bowlers before so no it does not. His contract is basically a 1 year deal........... thats a gooooooooooooooooood thing

I don't know what your reading, but no matter what Finnegan does he is GUARANTEED $5.5 Million Dollars from the fins. Even all of the analysts are surprised Miami did this deal, so my comparison to Torbor and Wilford wasn't a comparison of Pro Bowlers, but guaranteed money to so-so players and Finnegan BTW made ONE Pro Bowl 6 years ago.

I am hoping for the best, but my point is that this contract is a fairly big gamble too.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]