View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:18 am



Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Phillip Wheeler ... doh! 
Author Message
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8583
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Nice job of Wheeler roughing up Matt Ryan after the Dolphins stopped the Falcons inside the Red Zone. It resulted in an automatic first down and the Falcons scored a TD on the next play.

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:36 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:30 pm
Posts: 1006
Location: Lakeland, FL
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Where have we seen that before? Hmmm . . .

_________________
Image


Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:03 pm
Profile
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:58 am
Posts: 1186
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Luckily Wheeler can be let go this off season with a minimal cap hit

_________________
Image


Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5587
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
It was called on Wheeler but looked like Jordan did the roughing.


Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:01 am
Profile
Online
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 520
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
"It was called on Wheeler but looked like Jordan did the roughing."

I think the refs got together and flipped a coin, "heads it's 52, tails it's 95".

;^J

_________________
Image


Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:26 am
Profile
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:41 am
Posts: 8583
Location: Raleigh, NC
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Finster wrote:
"It was called on Wheeler but looked like Jordan did the roughing."

I think the refs got together and flipped a coin, "heads it's 52, tails it's 95".

;^J


While they both hit him it was Wheeler with the hands to the face. It is a little hard to see at the 1:13 mark.


Click here to learn how to add YouTube Videos to your phpBB forum


One thing about Wheeler is that he did play hard. I cannot take that away from him.

Quote:
### Coyle said linebacker Philip Wheeler “at times can be his own worst enemy when he plays out of control. He gives such great effort, but he, at times, overreacts to things. We’ve just got to slow him down, let the game slow down for him some and I think he’s going to be fine. He was a little anxious in the opening game.”


Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

_________________
PHINFEVER FACEBOOK - JOIN US!

Image


Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:48 pm
Posts: 5292
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
I saw Wheeler get absolutely trucked by a blocker when he tried to torpedo a gap in one of the Falcons first drives. I mean he bounced like 5-6 feet off the guy.

Wheeler isn't a linebacker.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:02 am
Profile
Online
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 520
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Rock Sexton wrote:
I saw Wheeler get absolutely trucked by a blocker when he tried to torpedo a gap in one of the Falcons first drives. I mean he bounced like 5-6 feet off the guy.

Wheeler isn't a linebacker.


He's got pretty hair though...


:haha

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:49 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20865
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Anyone else think we should have done more to address linebacker?

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:09 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 520
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Yes, but the truth is that I wasn't thrilled when we signed these guys, both were basically unproven, Wheeler is athletic so he can chase down ball carriers and compile tackle stats but was a career back up prior to Oakland and they had no problem letting him go, Ellerbe was a career back up, yes he had good players in front of him but he was still basically an unproven commodity.

I'm so glad Fireland is gone.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:05 pm
Profile
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:47 am
Posts: 5587
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Even Dansby and Burnett struggled in this defense. I'm still leaning toward a flaw in the system.


Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20865
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
NFLJunkie wrote:
Even Dansby and Burnett struggled in this defense. I'm still leaning toward a flaw in the system.


Dansby didn't struggle. He was solid. But yes, he wasn't the playmaker we see in Arizona, so I think it is the system... or the coaching.

We did get a new LB coach this season but I think Coyle's system just isn't a good fit for the talent.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:14 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 520
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Burnett was very stout against the run, coverage was shaky, Dansby was pretty good here, however both guys were overpaid by Fireland, Burnett was basically in the exact same situation as Wheeler before Fireland threw a bunch of money at him, a career back up who had a decent year prior to us signing him, Dansby was a good LBer but was getting paid like an elite LB.

Fireland's ego was just out of control, he thought he just knew better than anyone else, forget what has been time tested and proven, he knew better.

So glad he's gone.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:25 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20865
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Finster wrote:
Burnett was very stout against the run, coverage was shaky, Dansby was pretty good here, however both guys were overpaid by Fireland, Burnett was basically in the exact same situation as Wheeler before Fireland threw a bunch of money at him, a career back up who had a decent year prior to us signing him, Dansby was a good LBer but was getting paid like an elite LB.

Fireland's ego was just out of control, he thought he just knew better than anyone else, forget what has been time tested and proven, he knew better.

So glad he's gone.


Not sure I agree about Ireland being that bad. I think coaching has been a bigger problem with this team. Too many guys that suck here and succeed elsewhere or that succeed elsewhere and then come here and suck.

We acquired Reggie Bush for cheap and all the talk was about how he was going to beat linebackers out of the backfield and we proceeded to use him as a power back. He was OK in that role actually.. but then he goes to Detroit and absolutely explodes.

Or how about Brandon Marshall? Comes to Miami, puts up modest numbers, then goes to Chicago and tears it up.

Just way too many examples of our coaches, both under Sparano and now, trying to fill a square peg into a round hole.

The talent acquisition by this team hasn't been incredible, but far less of a problem than coaching strategy and player development.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:58 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 5922
Location: Lancaster, PA
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Rich is right. Across the board, coaching in Miami has been atrocious for more than a decade. Sad.


Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:18 pm
Profile
Online
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:43 am
Posts: 520
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Rich wrote:
Finster wrote:
Burnett was very stout against the run, coverage was shaky, Dansby was pretty good here, however both guys were overpaid by Fireland, Burnett was basically in the exact same situation as Wheeler before Fireland threw a bunch of money at him, a career back up who had a decent year prior to us signing him, Dansby was a good LBer but was getting paid like an elite LB.

Fireland's ego was just out of control, he thought he just knew better than anyone else, forget what has been time tested and proven, he knew better.

So glad he's gone.


Not sure I agree about Ireland being that bad. I think coaching has been a bigger problem with this team. Too many guys that suck here and succeed elsewhere or that succeed elsewhere and then come here and suck.

We acquired Reggie Bush for cheap and all the talk was about how he was going to beat linebackers out of the backfield and we proceeded to use him as a power back. He was OK in that role actually.. but then he goes to Detroit and absolutely explodes.

Or how about Brandon Marshall? Comes to Miami, puts up modest numbers, then goes to Chicago and tears it up.

Just way too many examples of our coaches, both under Sparano and now, trying to fill a square peg into a round hole.

The talent acquisition by this team hasn't been incredible, but far less of a problem than coaching strategy and player development.


I do basically agree with you, coaching has been bad, but Fireland's record of acquiring talent is pretty poor, from a draft stand point and especially from a FA standpoint, the overpaid unproven guys we've had under his watch is horrible.

I was impressed with what they got from Reggie though, I didn't think he would do as well as he did in the role they used him, but still was not used properly, so kind of a wash.

Marshall had Henne throwing to him, and has done more in 2 years here than any WR in too long, but Fireland gave up 2 2nd round picks to get him and 2 years later trades him away for 2 3rd rounders, epic fail on his part.

Like I said I do agree the coaching has been bad, but Fireland was just as bad imo.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:59 pm
Profile
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:59 am
Posts: 20865
Location: Miami, FL
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Finster wrote:
but Fireland's record of acquiring talent is pretty poor, from a draft stand point and especially from a FA standpoint, the overpaid unproven guys we've had under his watch is horrible.


That depends on how you look at it. Are you one of those people that place responsibility on him starting in 2008 or are you one of those people who place responsibility on him starting when Parcells checked out?

Quote:
Like I said I do agree the coaching has been bad, but Fireland was just as bad imo.


You can't have both coaching and talent acquisition be that bad and still maintain a mediocre record.

Ireland didn't hit on every pick, but he hit on about 50% of them. No team hits on every pick and you'd be surprised at how many teams hit on less than 50%.

_________________
Image


Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:18 pm
Profile
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:34 am
Posts: 880
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Rich wrote:
Ireland didn't hit on every pick, but he hit on about 50% of them. No team hits on every pick and you'd be surprised at how many teams hit on less than 50%.


I agree, Rich, but the problem is that the picks he tended to miss on were the higher rounds (especially 2nd), while finding acorns in the late rounds and UDFAs.

Now, I'm sitting here looking forward to the cut-downs so we can go LB shopping. Sad.


Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:10 pm
Profile
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Joined: Wed May 12, 2010 8:22 pm
Posts: 546
Post Re: Phillip Wheeler ... doh!
Ireland was not bad at acquiring talent.... His acorns seemed to have worked.

Wake is a beast, and 31 other teams overlooked him
Thigpen was a good return specialist, and had one of the top ypr in the season in the nfl..

the canadian connection has been solid.

Ireland can not draft linemen to save his life. Im not sure what the deal is.... every lineman he looked to acquire seemed to be the opposite of the Parcells mold... they werent tough, they were doughy man children...

He didnt do half bad with the WR corps.... Binns was fighting for a starters job two years in a row. Matthews is on the cusp of something, Hartline, Bess, identifying Marshall.... I am not blaming the marshall trade, The head coach wanted him out, so Ireland got what he could for him.

The problem with Ireland is... Ross wanted an explosive offense... and Ireland has never assembled one in his career.... he translated explosive offense as his perception of what an offense should be.... I am assuming he was visualizing a pro formation, 5-7 step drop back big ball offense..... Im not sure that Ireland knew what a west coast offense is. Sparano didnt know either....

Fact is, Ireland can identify talent. He's not half bad at it..... problem is he is a complete @$$ hole...and he does not know how to play nice in the sand box with his head coach....ever. HC and GM should be a tandem for the same accomplishment... not rivals.... and Ireland misjudged Ross' loyalty


Thu Aug 14, 2014 4:32 pm
Profile
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Finster, Google [Bot], Kev1321 and 9 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007, 2010 phpBB Group.
Designed by Coots & IamPZ - Phinfever.com.