View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Dolphins coaches need to read between the lines 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dolphins coaches need to read between the lines
Quote:
7:15 p.m. EDT, August 13, 2014
DAVIE —

What makes the linebacker situation so bothersome is that there isn't an answer in sight outside of hoping a batch of lackluster athletes somehow, someway become respectable in a month or two.

And what makes the situation even more troubling is the fact none of the team's youngsters are ready to challenge the starters – Dannell Ellerbe, Koa Misi and Philip Wheeler – and the franchise is still paying the tab of $3.575 million for cutting Karlos Dansby and Kevin Burnett prematurely (slap forehead). ...

The problem is the defense needs someone who can hold it all together, and that linebacker hasn't stepped forward yet. Maybe it is time the Dolphins started thinking out the box, and experimented with Jones and Jordan at linebacker for the final three weeks they are around the team, or gave a youngster like Jordan Tripp or Chris McCain the call up to the first team.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. And time isn't on this coaching staff's side.

This season we'll learn if the Dolphins (cough, cough, Philbin) hate losing so much they are willing to change, or if they hate change so much you're willing to lose.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... ?track=rss

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins coaches need to read between the lines
Seems like our local beat writers are more familiar with setting up the foundation of a pro style defense than an NFL coaching staff. (cough cough...sarcasm...)

Last edited by AFCMiamiEast on Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:32 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

AFCMiamiEast wrote:
Seems like our local beat writers are more familiar with setting up the foundation of a pro style defense than than an NFL coaching staff. (cough cough...sarcasm...)

haha No doubt. They're so dramatic you would've thought we are half way through the season instead of just 5 days removed from the first preseason game.

Quote:
Desperate times call for desperate measures. And time isn't on this coaching staff's side.

What the . . . ? When did this situation become desperate?

We might of been in the bottom half for yards but still were 8th in points allowed. Considering how much time the Defense spent on the field, thats impressive. They need to chill out & let the players play for the time being.

They are right about one thing though. For a coach that has very little preferences to push on his OC & DC, Philbin can be a real stubborn dipstick. He doesn't need to be so adverse to every idea about change

Wed Aug 13, 2014 8:18 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Steve Zissou wrote:

After ONE preseason drive against the Falcons.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:38 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Rich wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

...and one entire season last year. The fix might be a new DC...but then you're throwing in the towel.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:19 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
Steve Zissou wrote:

...and one entire season last year. The fix might be a new DC...but then you're throwing in the towel.

Before the game against the Falcons, the talk out of camp was how well Misi was fitting in at MLB and that Ellerbe was looking better at OLB.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:39 am
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

i wanna +1 the comment about the ONE preseason game and amend the fact that we are talking about 1 15 play TD drive.... a drive that was assisted by 2 first down yielding penalties...

a ticky tacky play for defensive contact.... and a roughing the passer call.... both which happened on 3rd down.. and neither of which would have held the outcome of a stop from happening...

So the sample size is really a 15 play TD drive that was assisted by 2 penalties as the reason we are all bridge jumping on the first team defense?

Am i concerned about the run defense? yes. Am i concerned about wheeler being a defensive liability? yes...... not time to jump off the bridge yet.... I'll wait til the pats run for 200 yards on week one....

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Omar would probably say it is based on all of the practices he has watched.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:46 am

AQNOR wrote:
Omar would probably say it is based on all of the practices he has watched.

Except that he was one of the ones talking about how the linebackers should be improved with the changes.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:51 am

Quote:
Before the game against the Falcons, the talk out of camp was how well Misi was fitting in at MLB and that Ellerbe was looking better at OLB.

Call me a sucker. I tuned in just to watch how they played. Gotta say Misi looked awful. I'm sincerely hoping he was playing not to get hurt. He was out of position, took poor angles and arrived late on the scene. If he were an ambulance driver, half his clients would die.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:41 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

I don't have a problem giving Misi a pass since this was his very first game at MLB, but it bears watching, I do think he'll round into form though, he's a very smart, hard working coachable player.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 5:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Why I said what a player does against his own team in practice is not that important.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:31 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Why I said what a player does against his own team in practice is not that important.

Neither is preseason game 1.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:43 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:

That's the problem with local beat writers evaluating players in a vacuum. Who are they facing off with exactly? What upper echelon talent are these linebackers seeing every day in practice?

After years of going thru this, scouring the practice reports, and watching preseason ... I am just glad I don't put too much stock in it anymore. Well, perhaps the dress rehearsal game counts for something. The rest is simply not enough to get a good pulse.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]