View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Miami reaching out to free agent linemen 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Miami reaching out to free agent linemen
Quote:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins "reached out" to the representatives for free agents G/T Rodger Saffold and LT Jared Veldheer on Saturday.
LT Branden Albert is believed to be the Dolphins' top priority in free agency. They'd reportedly like to sign Saffold as a guard, though they're not opposed to Saffold playing left tackle. Veldheer and Eugene Monroe would be fallback options for Miami if it can't land Albert. We'd almost prefer both Veldheer and Monroe to an aging Albert. Offensive line is GM Dennis Hickey's main focus.

I hope we can sign Monroe to play left tackle and Saffold to play left guard. And then draft a right tackle in the first 2 rounds.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Miami reaching out to free agent linemen
Quote:
The Miami Herald confirms the Dolphins have not had any recent contract talks with free agent LT Bryant McKinnie.
McKinnie was highly ineffective last year and isn't going to be re-signed before free agency, as expected. He looked to be near the end of the line with Miami and likely won't require more than a veteran minimum contract. Given his history of weight issues, McKinnie could struggle to find any interest on the open market.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:06 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Tampa Cut David Joesph. Might have a few more yrs in his body. Coming off an injury so he would have to check out.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:43 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Barry Jackson wrote:
Branden Albert (who appears to be very, very high on Miami's wish list) and Eugene Monroe aren't the only veteran offensive linemen attracting Dolphins interest early in free agency. Two other names have emerged today.

The Dolphins also have expressed strong interest in St. Louis guard/tackle Rodger Saffold -- something both colleague Adam Beasley and I are hearing.

And the Dolphins today also reached out to Oakland free agent left tackle Jared Veldheer, who missed 11 games last season with a torn triceps. Veldheer is an option if Miami doesn't sign Albert or Saffold or Monroe.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... rylink=cpy

Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:55 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

This rumor about the Dolphins preferring Albert to Monroe kind of leaves me scratching my head. If you're going to spend big money wouldn't you want it on a younger guy with no injury history?

Negotiating tactic to knock down Monroe's price down?

I guess you could argue landing both Albert and Saffold by not going just after Monroe could be better overall.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:33 am
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

Dphins4me wrote:
Tampa Cut David Joesph. Might have a few more yrs in his body. Coming off an injury so he would have to check out.

Gotta make sure he checks out physically like you said, but he does have talent, and Hickey is certainly familiar with him. He not in a position to demand an big contract either, so a team friendly deal is definitely doable.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:26 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

phinsfansc wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Gotta make sure he checks out physically like you said, but he does have talent, and Hickey is certainly familiar with him. He not in a position to demand an big contract either, so a team friendly deal is definitely doable.

I'm all for the Phins picking up Davin! The dude is built like a tank. Seriously, he appears to push semi tractors in the offseason. Plus hes a good guy & has the ability to carry a complete, enjoyable conversation.

Very few players look good coming off a major surgery. I believe he's easily worth a one year contract to let him prove himself. Make it happen, Hickey

Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins could be interested in free agent RG Davin Joseph.
Joseph was released by the Bucs over the weekend and has ties to new Dolphins GM Dennis Hickey. Miami needs help all over the offensive line. LT Branden Albert is set to sign with the Dolphins on Tuesday. He and C Mike Pouncey are the only locked in starters. Joseph will turn 30 during the season and may be damaged goods.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:35 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Miami Herald expects the Dolphins to "focus" on free agent RT Austin Howard after locking up Branden Albert on Tuesday.
The Albert-to-Dolphins marriage is considered a done deal. The Fins need more than one offensive lineman, however, and are expected to pursue Howard as well as free agent Zach Strief, who started at right tackle in New Orleans 2011-2013. Strief is a better pass blocker. Howard is a mauling run blocker.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:58 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

It seems they had the idea that Monroe would not be leaving Baltimore. Could it be we avoided be used to drive up somebody else's asking price for a change?

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:40 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

swerve13 wrote:
Quote:
The Miami Herald expects the Dolphins to "focus" on free agent RT Austin Howard after locking up Branden Albert on Tuesday.
The Albert-to-Dolphins marriage is considered a done deal. The Fins need more than one offensive lineman, however, and are expected to pursue Howard as well as free agent Zach Strief, who started at right tackle in New Orleans 2011-2013. Strief is a better pass blocker. Howard is a mauling run blocker.

Strief gave up 6 sacks and 29 pressures last season. Not terrible.

His run blocking is not terrible either, but not great.

Howard gave up 10 sacks and 41 pressures... sheesh.

But yes, he is a terrific run blocker.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:45 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

k-dash wrote:
It seems they had the idea that Monroe would not be leaving Baltimore. Could it be we avoided be used to drive up somebody else's asking price for a change?

Very possible. Outside of the Flacco contract I don't recall a many deals where Ozzie Newsome overpaid so I'm not sure Monroe could create a bidding war.

Sounds like Philbin was determined to get Albert. If Monroe wanted less, say 8 million per year, then you'd have to think Miami would do it. But if Albert is Philbin's guy and the price was the same for Monroe...well you know the rest.

If they land Albert, Howard/Strief, and an OG then I'll be impressed. It means they go into the draft with the ability to draft depth and developmental guys to take over when they want to jettison these big contracts.

It truly is amazing how many big contracts they have yet they are in a great cap situation and can get many of those off the books in a couple of years.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:05 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
Quote:

Strief gave up 6 sacks and 29 pressures last season. Not terrible.

His run blocking is not terrible either, but not great.

Howard gave up 10 sacks and 41 pressures... sheesh.

But yes, he is a terrific run blocker.

If this is true (can't always rely on the Herald) then I Love that we have guys lined up & we're taking action. It seems obvious but I want to know Hickey will be doing the right things that Ireland waffled on.

I don't have an opinion on either lineman, just wanted to express my optimism

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:32 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

if they go this heavy on the line in FA then we may only need to draft one lineman and then be able to take BPA mostly.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:52 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

I wouldn't mind Strief. You would still be able to take advantage of the Day 2 OT class and draft somebody to develop behind him.

There are a good amount of Day 2 OT's that (at least personally) I like at OG as well. Could be a nice situation where you have a guy like Brandon Thomas playing inside early, and then kicking outside to RT in a couple of years.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Phins Rock wrote:
I wouldn't mind Strief. You would still be able to take advantage of the Day 2 OT class and draft somebody to develop behind him.

There are a good amount of Day 2 OT's that (at least personally) I like at OG as well. Could be a nice situation where you have a guy like Brandon Thomas playing inside early, and then kicking outside to RT in a couple of years.

Yup, guys I like from rounds 3 on down:

Thomas
Turner
Bitonio
Fleming
Schofield
Dozier
Steen

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

Yup, guys I like from rounds 3 on down:

Thomas
Turner
Bitonio
Fleming
Schofield
Dozier
Steen

Steen is a guard, no?

I think Bitonio and Turner end up higher than round 3. Even Thomas has a shot because of his versatility and physical tools. The Dolphins supposedly have been doing a lot of work with Schofield. I like him in that Round 3/4 range as a guy to develop. Has NFL size, length, and athleticism, he just needs to work on playing guys with his hands and get a little stronger. He doesn't have the feet to play on the left side, but I like him as a RT.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Yes, Steen is one of the best guards in this draft. I like Dozier's upside alot too.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
The Texans have urged free agent LG Wade Smith to test the market.
It's a sign they're not particularly interested in signing the 33-year-old (in April). Smith can play both guard spots and center, and he even started a game at left tackle for the Chiefs in 2009. Smith has battled various knee issues the past couple seasons but is near the top of a weak free-agent guard market.

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:23 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Donald Penn just signed with Oakland so scratch him off the list for right tackle options.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:46 pm
Phinfever Draft Insider
Phinfever Draft Insider

jammer wrote:
Donald Penn just signed with Oakland so scratch him off the list for right tackle options.

Penn probably would not have been receptive to playing ORT anyway. Schofield is a ORT.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:25 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Anyone know how Eric Winston did last year in Arizona?

I guess theres a reason hes available again but . .

Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Steve Zissou wrote:
Anyone know how Eric Winston did last year in Arizona?

I guess theres a reason hes available again but . .

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/thedaily ... ee-agency/

This was posted last night. Gives you an idea of who is left and how they graded out.

Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]