View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:37 pm

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 GM candidate: Philbin might bench Tannehill for Moore 
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post GM candidate: Philbin might bench Tannehill for Moore
Is this where I'm supposed to concede to the idea that Moore should be cut? :ann0y:

I wouldn't take this as gospel, but it gives you an idea of how much pressure there is to win in 2014, and how far Tannehill needs to go.
Quote:
Philbin's job is riding on Tannehill progressing. I wouldn't doubt a little more pressure from highly paid back–up Matt Moore ($4M salary; $5.5M in cap) in 2014, with Philbin professing his belief in Moore to several of the GM candidates and demanding more from Tannehill.

"He definitely wants to push Tannehill more," said one source who has spoken to Philbin about the quarterbacks, "and if he doesn't see improvement he said he might go to Moore at some point. He definitely has a lot of faith in Moore, and they're paying him a lot of money."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -cap-space

Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:38 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: GM candidate: Philbin might bench Tannehill for Moore
There is nothing wrong with pushing your QB through competition, but come game 1 Tannehill will be the starter. He was a high first round pick and has done nothing to lose his grip on the position. I've watched Moore's career since he played here in NC and can say that he is up and down.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:01 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
There is nothing wrong with pushing your QB through competition, but come game 1 Tannehill will be the starter.

I know a couple people who would actually be upset by this...

:)

Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Philbin's job is riding on Tannehill progressing. I wouldn't doubt a little more pressure from highly paid back–up Matt Moore ($4M salary; $5.5M in cap) in 2014, with Philbin professing his belief in Moore to several of the GM candidates and demanding more from Tannehill.

If his job depends on Tanny, then he should have already been fired. Either you believe in the guy or you do not.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:29 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
Quote:

If his job depends on Tanny, then he should have already been fired. Either you believe in the guy or you do not.

Leadership you can believe in.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:37 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Yes bad leadership always opens competition....lol. Moore lead our resurrection in 2011. He finished with a QB rating of 87. So up and down or not, he has played better than RT has to date. We can certainly argue potential, but Matt Moore didin't have Mike Wallace all season in 2011. Personally I wish I had a QB with RT's short range accuracy and Matt Moores deep ball.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:05 pm

NFLJunkie wrote:
Yes bad leadership always opens competition

Yes, because that's what I said.

Leadership is taking ownership for the fact that you had a stupid snap count and never fixed it, your offensive coordinator was a joke and you didn't want to let him go and you couldn't coach up any offensive linemen.

Realization is the first step and Philbin has trouble with it.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:16 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

So poor coaching, a rotating door at both T and G, and nearly setting the record for most sacks given up in a season and Matt Moore is the answer?

Please get the "Fire Philbin" plane gassed up and ready for flight...

IMO this is simply off season filler and a hack reporter looking for "hits"

Fri Feb 07, 2014 3:01 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Wait Wait Wait

Philbin.... Ross' anointed NEXT SHULA comes in....

Other than the Jeff Ireland Roster Purge... the most Significant, and First move of his Head Coaching career is to DRAFT TANNEHILL.....

STARTS Tannehill week 1 of his rookie year.... and posts a 7-9 record

STARTS Tannehill week 1 of his sophmore year.... and ABANDON's THE RUNNING GAME... and posts 8-8 record

IS FORCED TO FIRE MIKE SHERMAN.... Tannehill's mentor since High school

THREATENS TO QUIT... over the termination of Mike Sherman

And Now...

WILLING TO BENCH TANNEHILL if things go south in 2014 due to job stability???

Hmmm..... Sorry, you dont go drafting a QB in the top 10 picks in your rookie year coaching, and then throw him to the dogs unprepared, ride him through your "break out" year... then talk about benching him in year 3 without justification!!!

NOT EVEN SANCHEZ GOT THAT TREATMENT!!!

Philbin, maybe you dont realize this.... The Dolphins have not drafted a QB in the first round since the Legendary Dan Marino.....30 years earlier!

If you didnt want to tie your future firmly to the arm of a 20 something year old QB.... you should have waited til the second round and drafted Nick Foles or another alternative.

There is NO ESCAPE CLAUSE short of winning a Super Bowl that will justify Philbin keeping his job if he were to Bench Tannehill.

And Im not just praising Ryan here.... Im really just pointing out how this notion is 100% ridiculous! It'd be like Harbaugh benching Kaepernick this coming year.... without just cause! Or Pagano benching Luck........ Or Lewis benching Dalton (well, maybe that one could be merited).... Marrone can not bench Manuel.....

Those were all hand picked QB's by that coach's regime.... if they were to be benched without a viable alternative.... that head coach's head is probably gonna roll!!

There is absolutely NO WAY Philbin can force Tannehill to ride the pine (barring injury) and for him to still keep his job...

Plus, when was the last time we've seen Philbin actually admit a mistake.... "Go/Go-Go", Leadership council's advice, Playcalling...

Benching Tannehill will be admitting mistake... that is not in our Head Coach's arsenal of Bullcrap he'd rather plead denial, and keep shoving a square peg into a round hole over and over again til the season is over, and things can be erased/cut/eradicated in the offseason to preserve the unblemished track record of right/wrong

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Yes bad leadership always opens competition...

Leadership does not bail on long term plans for short term goals.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Moore lead our resurrection in 2011.

6 meaningless wins that cost Miami the best QB prospect since Manning. Thanks Moore.

NFLJunkie wrote:
He finished with a QB rating of 87. So up and down or not, he has played better than RT has to date.
Not real sure I can agree to that. Considering you are comparing a 5 yr vet at the time to a 2nd yr play & Tanny had a 81 QBR last yr.

NFLJunkie wrote:
We can certainly argue potential, but Matt Moore didin't have Mike Wallace all season in 2011. Personally I wish I had a QB with RT's short range accuracy and Matt Moores deep ball.

Matt Moore is a good Qb. If Philbin was so into Matt Moore, then he should have not drafted Tanny & traded down or went for Luke Kuechly

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:42 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

It sounds to me that maybe Philben needs some competition.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:59 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

NFLJunkie wrote:
We can certainly argue potential, but Matt Moore didin't have Mike Wallace all season in 2011.

Nope, he only had Brandon Marshall and a ground game.

I'm all for competition to push Tannehill but if Philbin is leaking information that he's lost faith in the guy then he's an idiot.

The more I read about this stuff and the finger pointing the more I'm convinced Philbin has a prepared excuse for next season (Ireland and Tannehill). So much for him preaching character when he appears to be lacking it.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
The more I read about this stuff and the finger pointing the more I'm convinced Philbin has a prepared excuse for next season (Ireland and Tannehill). So much for him preaching character when he appears to be lacking it.

I don't see the excuse in it.

If his job is on the line and Tanny is out there crapping the bed some more in critical games like vs. the Jet and Bills then he can't stand pat. They're all probably gone if they flush down the toilet like that again so the whole "don't wreck the long term for short term gains" talk is irrelevant.

Regardless Tanny must absolutely be pushed this year. There are still major holes in his game.

Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:03 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rock Sexton wrote:

If his job is on the line and Tanny is out there crapping the bed some more in critical games like vs. the Jet and Bills then he can't stand pat. They're all probably gone if they flush down the toilet like that again so the whole "don't wreck the long term for short term gains" talk is irrelevant.

Short term goals to save job never end well. If Philbin was so sold on Moore then he would have never allowed the drafting of Tanny. Philbin is in save my arse mode & we all have seen how those things play out.

Rock Sexton wrote:
Regardless Tanny must absolutely be pushed this year. There are still major holes in his game
Then do not draft inexperienced QB's & bail on them when they experience growing pains.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:03 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rotoworld makes sense

Quote:
A source told CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora that Ryan Tannehill may lack job security entering 2014.
Unbelievable. Tannehill is the least of the Dolphins' problems and very arguably their biggest strength, so the notion of him losing his job is yet another reminder of the continued dysfunction in Miami. "(Coach Joe Philbin) definitely wants to push Tannehill more," said the source, who spoke to Philbin about his quarterbacks, "and if he doesn't see improvement he said he might go to (Matt) Moore at some point. He definitely has a lot of faith in Moore, and they're paying him a lot of money." This is a team that should be looking to prop up Tannehill with significant offensive line upgrades, not put his job on the line in favor of a journeyman-type career backup in Moore. Tannehill absorbed a league-high 58 sacks in 2013. This has been a troubling offseason in Miami, to say the least.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:04 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rock Sexton wrote:

Regardless Tanny must absolutely be pushed this year. There are still major holes in his game.

Its a two way street. Tannehill was critical in winning some tough games as well. And I don't disagree with competition.

Yes, I see the excuse. He got into a finger pointing match that helped get the GM fired. Then information conveniently comes out about Philbin saying he wanted Albert and Ireland said no. Now we're going to hear that he's lost faith in Tannehill, which conveniently comes after there were rumors that his players have lost faith in him.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
It sounds to me that maybe Philben needs some competition.

Yeah, Dave no kidding!

Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:29 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

ABANDON's THE RUNNING GAME???

pretty sure you have to have one before you can ABANDON it..

All i know is that when Matt has come in.. he looked like crap..

he has done very little to win the starting job as of late.. and 2011 was a long long time ago..

Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:56 am

Tannehill is the most wasted talent in the NFL.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:40 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

FINesse wrote:
Tannehill is the most wasted talent in the NFL.

And it appears Philbin is just plain wasted.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:34 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

randylvc wrote:
ABANDON's THE RUNNING GAME???

pretty sure you have to have one before you can ABANDON it..

All i know is that when Matt has come in.. he looked like crap..

he has done very little to win the starting job as of late.. and 2011 was a long long time ago..

I wouldn't torch Moore for the Buffalo game. Hope was pretty much lost and the conditions were horrible.

And yes, the fact that Miami didn't have a running game speaks to the condition of the line.

Again, my problem here is that it appears someone is leaking things on Philbin's behalf to excuse his failures or lay blame on others, always at convenient times. Its almost as if he expects next year to be a loss and is preparing ahead of time.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:45 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Please let's get any thought out of our head for Matt Moore leading the way.

Personally, I would be for the Dolphins drafting another young QB and keep Moore 2nd string, hope Tannehill flourishes and if not perhaps there is another Nick Foles or Kirk Cousin talent out there as a contingency plan. It is alll about seeking out the high caliber talent. Let's hope Hickey can do that for the Dolphins.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:00 pm

Dphins4me wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
Yes bad leadership always opens competition...

Leadership does not bail on long term plans for short term goals.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Moore lead our resurrection in 2011.

6 meaningless wins that cost Miami the best QB prospect since Manning. Thanks Moore.

NFLJunkie wrote:
He finished with a QB rating of 87. So up and down or not, he has played better than RT has to date.
Not real sure I can agree to that. Considering you are comparing a 5 yr vet at the time to a 2nd yr play & Tanny had a 81 QBR last yr.

NFLJunkie wrote:
We can certainly argue potential, but Matt Moore didin't have Mike Wallace all season in 2011. Personally I wish I had a QB with RT's short range accuracy and Matt Moores deep ball.

Matt Moore is a good Qb. If Philbin was so into Matt Moore, then he should have not drafted Tanny & traded down or went for Luke Kuechly

Opening the competition isn't bailing. It is lighting a fire.
I don't care what you "agree with" Moore had better stats in his only two seasons with signficatn playing time. Who cares what stage of their careers their at? You let the best man play.
It isn't a matter of who he's into and who he isn't. There is one glaring thing that is bothering Philbin and every real Dolphin Fan out thee: RT didn't hit Wallace in stride all season. I could take most high school QBs and after 6 weeks of camp, they'd be hitting Wallace in stride at least 30% of the time.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:46 pm

Was Sherman protecting RT or was Philbn protecting Sherman. Maybe a little of both? Personally,if a baller at QB is out there and the only knock on the guy is his height....ala Brees and Wilson...I say take a flyer. One common denominator in every playoff team is high level of play at the QB position.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

RotoWorld's thoughts on this rumor ...

Quote:
Unbelievable. Tannehill is the least of the Dolphins' problems and very arguably their biggest strength, so the notion of him losing his job is yet another reminder of the continued dysfunction in Miami. "(Coach Joe Philbin) definitely wants to push Tannehill more," said the source, who spoke to Philbin about his quarterbacks, "and if he doesn't see improvement he said he might go to (Matt) Moore at some point. He definitely has a lot of faith in Moore, and they're paying him a lot of money." This is a team that should be looking to prop up Tannehill with significant offensive line upgrades, not put his job on the line in favor of a journeyman-type career backup in Moore. Tannehill absorbed a league-high 58 sacks in 2013. This has been a troubling offseason in Miami, to say the least.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/7417/ryan-tannehill

Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:11 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Philbin knows he's in a win or lose your job mode.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:10 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Moore sucks. A career backup, proof is that he resigned cause NO ONE wanted him as a starter last year. I mean, who wouldn't want to start?

Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:45 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
Its a two way street. Tannehill was critical in winning some tough games as well. And I don't disagree with competition.

Yes, I see the excuse. He got into a finger pointing match that helped get the GM fired. Then information conveniently comes out about Philbin saying he wanted Albert and Ireland said no. Now we're going to hear that he's lost faith in Tannehill, which conveniently comes after there were rumors that his players have lost faith in him.

You're not hearing me.

If Philbin's butt is on the line, he's going to do whatever necessary. It's his team. That 4 game stint between the two wins vs. Pitt/NE and bed crappers vs. NYJ/Buf is reflective of Tannehill's career to this point, inconsistent ......... and of course all of that inconsistency will be laid to blame at the feet of the run game, the O-line, the coaching staff, the GM. Same story from Dolphins fans for many QB's of recent time before him, albeit Tanny has more natural talent. It's kind've funny though how Philbin/Ireland don't know what they're doing - accept for drafting/starting Ryan Tannehill right?

Sorry but this comes with the territory for the QB position. To absolve Tanny of any of the team's struggles last season is heresy. Does he deserve an opportunity to work with a cleaner pocket? Sure. But if it's the same story with him showing poor pocket presence and inability to connect over the top - Philbin's gotta do what he's gotta do because he's dead man walking. He'll be gone next year if he doesn't and Tannehill is likely to see his replacement drafted anyways. If that happens of course we'll hear "But he only had 1 year under Lazor's offense! He needs more time!" I will just laugh at the irony of it.

Btw, if Tannehill's career were to be wrecked by Moore coming in for him if he were struggling, than screw Tanny man. That's some weak minded ish right there. At least we have that luxury, man teams don't. Going to get real interesting this year without the protective training wheels of offense he came into the league with from A&M.

Last edited by Rock Sexton on Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:09 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

NFLJunkie wrote:
Was Sherman protecting RT or was Philbn protecting Sherman. Maybe a little of both?

This.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:14 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Btw, if Tannehill's career were to be wrecked by Moore coming in for him if he were struggling, than screw Tanny man. That's some weak minded ish right there

Ditto for taking too many sacks. RT def has to improve.

Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:07 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

NFLJunkie wrote:
I don't care what you "agree with" Moore had better stats in his only two seasons with signficatn playing time. Who cares what stage of their careers their at? You let the best man play.
It isn't a matter of who he's into and who he isn't. There is one glaring thing that is bothering Philbin and every real Dolphin Fan out thee: RT didn't hit Wallace in stride all season. I could take most high school QBs and after 6 weeks of camp, they'd be hitting Wallace in stride at least 30% of the time.

I strongly disagree that moore had better stats in his best years. Here is moore's only season where he played over half the season. 13 games to be exact arguably his best season.

210 for 347 60.5 completion percentage 2,497 yards 16tds 9int 16 fumbles (9 according to espn when he was passing and 5 while he was rushing). That was my biggest problem with moore he fumbled too much imagine if he would have been behind the line this season. 6-6 record as a starter

Meanwhile tannehill's best season
355 for 588 60.4 completion percentage 3,913 yards 24 tds 17int 10 fumbles (6 according to espn while passing 4 while rushing.) 8-8 record as a starter

I know tannehill struggled with the deep ball but regardless he is the best qb on this team. If your not gonna start him you got to find someone else in my opinion because moore is nothing but a career backup and doesnt desere to start over tannehill barring injury. Ive always felt moore has been over rated by our fans because he won a few games in a row the fact is he went 6-6 as a starter here. The fact that we are having this conversation as fans is why phiblin should have been gone with ireland.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:51 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think we all understood that Tannehill was far far far from a finished product when we drafted him. Tannehill played substantially better in 2013 than in 2012, and that is a good sign. And all of this happened despite a poor run game, terrible offensive line, and many missed opportunities by Tannehill himself. But despite his improvements, he's still got a ways to go. I think he's still two years away from where we all want him to be (a franchise quarterback). That said, I think that if Hickey and Philbin can pull off a successful offseason (keep key free agents, fix o-line, etc.), and Tannehill continues to develop like he should (and maybe even leap forward with Lazor's help), then this team is primed for a playoff season in 2014.

Matt Moore in my opinion is honestly nothing more than I've ever regarded him as, a very good backup quarterback (one of the better ones in the NFL). In fact I think he's such a good backup that we should trade him this offseason and draft a replacement with the pick we get for him. Then use some of that $4M to fix our pathetic offensive line. Trade him now while we can get something for him. In 2015 he goes to the highest bidder. I seriously doubt Moore will stick around for another two or three year deal to be Tannehill's backup.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:12 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:
It's kind've funny though how Philbin/Ireland don't know what they're doing - accept for drafting/starting Ryan Tannehill right?

Who has said Ireland and Philben's decisions were all bad? That's twisting the truth to support your argument. I don't have a problem with any of the first round picks on Ireland's watch. In fact, I would say that he has had more first round success than any GM that we have had.

Code:
2008    1    Jake Long *    Offensive tackle    Michigan    
2009    25    Vontae Davis    Cornerback    Illinois    
2010    28    Jared Odrick    Defensive tackle    Penn State    [r]
2011    15    Mike Pouncey    Center    Florida    
2012    8    Ryan Tannehill    Quarterback    Texas A&M    
2013    3    Dion Jordan    Defensive End    Oregon    [s]

Rock Sexton wrote:
Sorry but this comes with the territory for the QB position. To absolve Tanny of any of the team's struggles last season is heresy.

Tannehill needs to continue to improve, but I will quote RotoWorld on this: "Unbelievable. Tannehill is the least of the Dolphins' problems and very arguably their biggest strength, so the notion of him losing his job is yet another reminder of the continued dysfunction in Miami." I think the problem with some of you is that Tannehill isn't Dan Marino. Don't let that one semi-deep pass that Moore completed against the Bills bewitch you . Tannehill had more deep passes completed last year than Moore had in 2011 behind a better offensive line. Of course, when you figure Tannehill played 3 more games and had more attempts, it probably balances things out.

Pro Football Focus credited Tannehill with 3 sacks last season. They credited Matt Moore with 7 in 2011 behind a better OL.

Youall are barking up the wrong tree. There are indeed holes in Tannehill's game: he has problems with the deep pass (perhaps we now have an OC that will actually practice the deep pass), he doesn't step up into the pocket (maybe if the OL would give him more time and better pocket protection he could improve this part of his game), and he doesn't use his athleticism to buy more time (I don't have an answer for that one).

Look at what he can do: quick release, makes quick decisions, put the ball in a tight area that only his receivers can catch, very accurate 10-20 yards, hits his receivers in stride, and is the best quarterback in his class to throw on the run. Let's not forget that Sherman expect Tannehill to carry the Dolphins offense without an offensive line or running game. You couldn't ask for a better prospect. I am concerned about the last two games as much as any of you, but let's be honest, the entire team took a nosedive in those last two games. If it were just Tannehill then I would be more concerned about him, but when the entire team takes a vacation playing for their lives against AFC East rivals, then it goes beyond the players.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:33 am
Profile WWW

wkloiber13 wrote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. I think we all understood that Tannehill was far far far from a finished product when we drafted him. Tannehill played substantially better in 2013 than in 2012, and that is a good sign. And all of this happened despite a poor run game, terrible offensive line, and many missed opportunities by Tannehill himself. But despite his improvements, he's still got a ways to go. I think he's still two years away from where we all want him to be (a franchise quarterback). That said, I think that if Hickey and Philbin can pull off a successful offseason (keep key free agents, fix o-line, etc.), and Tannehill continues to develop like he should (and maybe even leap forward with Lazor's help), then this team is primed for a playoff season in 2014.

Matt Moore in my opinion is honestly nothing more than I've ever regarded him as, a very good backup quarterback (one of the better ones in the NFL). In fact I think he's such a good backup that we should trade him this offseason and draft a replacement with the pick we get for him. Then use some of that $4M to fix our pathetic offensive line. Trade him now while we can get something for him. In 2015 he goes to the highest bidder. I seriously doubt Moore will stick around for another two or three year deal to be Tannehill's backup.

Good & valid points .... but we must remember all other teams are trying to improve as well. This is where the dysfunctional FO comes into play.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:41 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:

Its bailing on your committed to develop a young Qb who is not playing poorly, for a job saving season which will do nothing to advance Miami into a playoff team that might actually win a playoff game.

NFLJunkie wrote:
Touchy, touchy. I guess it depends on what your goal is. To have just a good Qb ( Moore ) or a great one that can lead you to the Super Bowl ( Tanny ) I believe most everyone in the football world would agree that Tanny is far superior in talent to Moore.

Not sure what two seasons you are referring too, since he played one in Miami & two in Carolina in '09 & '10 in which after '10 Carolina had no interest in keeping him, because he threw 5 TDs to 10 Ints.

Both completed 60% of their passes. I will take the young developing talent at QB over a journeyman in Moore. If Moore is smart he will ride the "I'm the best backup QB in football" for the rest of his career making 5 million per & not having to be hit.

NFLJunkie wrote:
It isn't a matter of who he's into and who he isn't. There is one glaring thing that is bothering Philbin and every real Dolphin Fan out thee: RT didn't hit Wallace in stride all season.
I saw him hit Wallace a few times to only have Wallace not catch it. It needs to be worked on, but you do not replace him for that, when he does everything else great.

NFLJunkie wrote:
I could take most high school QBs and after 6 weeks of camp, they'd be hitting Wallace in stride at least 30% of the time.
Easy to say when you will never have the opportunity to back it up.

Last edited by Dphins4me on Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:03 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Philbin knows he's in a win or lose your job mode.

Which is why he should already be fired. If an owner is giving a coach a win or be fired, then the owner has already lost faith in him. Philbin will chuck what is best for the org for what is best for him this yr.

He now has a GM that has little to no power in the org, so he will get what he wants.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:10 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

MOORE IMO is NOT the answer to lead this team to a Superbowl, which is every team's objective.

I agree that competition is a good thing, but my goodness, this is the GM's role to find ANOTHER younger talent in the draft, bring them in and have a contingency plan for the future. Matt Moore is a nice insurance policy to have in the event RT gets hurt, but that is it the way I see it.

However, all the above being said, Tannehill has got to continue to make positive strides and really I think he needs to have a break out season in year three.

Those last two games really erased so much good that he was doing. Two critical MUST win games to make the playoffs and he struggled. A lot of factors to blame around, but he was still a big part of that equation. The kid has tons of talent. I hope the new offensive coordinator does wonders with him.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:43 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Finhead34 wrote:

Personally, I would be for the Dolphins drafting another young QB and keep Moore 2nd string, hope Tannehill flourishes and if not perhaps there is another Nick Foles or Kirk Cousin talent out there as a contingency plan. It is alll about seeking out the high caliber talent. Let's hope Hickey can do that for the Dolphins.

i don't know .. all i read was that he wants some QB competition... and unless you have one of the top 3-4 qbs in the game... i'm pretty sure every team thinks like this...

Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:57 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

randylvc wrote:
Finhead34 wrote:

i don't know .. all i read was that he wants some QB competition... and unless you have one of the top 3-4 qbs in the game... i'm pretty sure every team thinks like this...

junkie you have to remember the off season moore played for crap.. no way he deserved the starting job...

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

randylvc wrote:
Rarely do teams have QB competition. When they do, normally its because they have crappy QBs & they are trying to find out which one blows the least.

Philly had one this past yr with Vick/Foles in which Vick won. Got hurt & then we found out who should have won.

Young Qb challenging the aging vet is one thing. Young QB being challenged by journeyman vet is another.

Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next