View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 OT: Who are you pulling for in the Super Bowl? 

Who are you pulling for in the Super Bowl?
Denver Broncos 68%  68%  [ 19 ]
Seattle Seahawks 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 28

Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I'm torn between pulling for Russell Wilson (he QB'ed my NCSU Wolfpack for his first 3 years) or Peyton Manning in this one. I just can't get over my disgust for Pete Carroll. Even though I can't find a picture of it, I did find this article.

Quote:
Jets` Carroll Says Choke Sign Wrong
December 22, 1992|By MICHAEL MAYO, Staff Writer

MIAMI -- Jets defensive coordinator Pete Carroll flashed the choke sign moments after Pete Stoyanovich`s missed extra point Sunday night, but the choke was on the Jets.

Stoyanovich kicked a 37-yard field goal with seven seconds left and the Jets were forced to swallow a 19-17 loss. Stoyanovich got his second chance after the Jets were stopped on three downs, Louie Aguiar shanked a 29-yard punt and the Dolphins drove 26 yards in six plays.
After the game, Carroll apologized about the gesture, which was captured by ESPN`s cameras.

``Yeah, I did it,`` Carroll said. ``I regret that it happened, and you can write that. It wasn`t fair to him at all.``

``I didn`t see it,`` Dolphins coach Don Shula said Monday. ``But if he did it, I`m glad it came back to haunt him.``

Carroll said he got caught up in the emotions of the game. He was frustrated over Tony Martin`s 55-yard touchdown catch before Stoyanovich`s miss. Carroll and Jets coach Bruce Coslet said the Dolphins should have been penalized for having linemen downfield before the throw.

Shula said the play was in accordance with rules.

``In looking at the tape, it looked like (guard) Keith Sims was the lineman farthest down field and he was straddling the line of scrimmage as the ball was being released, which is legal.``

When asked if Carroll`s gesture was unprofessional, Shula paused.

``I remember one of mine many years ago,`` Shula said, clutching his throat. ``But mine was directed at an official. I got a flag for that. (Pause). And a fine.``

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1992-1 ... roll-shula

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:02 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: OT: Who are you pulling for in the Super Bowl?
Quote:
"I remember one of mine many years ago," Shula said, clutching his throat. "But mine was directed at an official. I got a flag for that. (Pause). And a fine."

I miss The Don. He was always arguing with the officials.

"Five yards is my life!" - Don Shula to a referee who had told Shula to quit arguing, that the penalty he just called was only five yards

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:06 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Manning needs to win it... otherwise Brady will be considered the best ever....

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:21 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

I voted for the Broncos for that very reason. I live in Massachusetts and all the Pats haters up here are pulling for Seattle because they can't stomach seeing Manning win anything. I would love to see Manning win just to shut them up.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Go Broncos. Go Manning.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:29 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm good!

Anybody but the Patriots

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:34 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Pulling for Wilson for same reason as Dave mentioned but think that Denver will win it.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:20 pm
Phinfever 2013 Mock Champion

Peyton all the way! My favorite non-Dolphin.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:24 pm

Rich wrote:

I don't get why he would be. Montana has the better resume.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:25 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

I don't get why he would be. Montana has the better resume.

Don't be so sure.

Montana has one more championship and one more Superbowl MVP than Brady.

But Brady has one more Pro Bowl selection and one more conference championship.

Brady also has more yards, touchdowns, higher completion percentage, WAY more touchdowns and less INTs at this point than Montana.

And Brady accomplished this without a Jerry Rice on his team.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:40 pm

Brady's team also cheated and hasn't won squat since. And Brady's been terrible in recent playoff history.

And I don't believe that Montana has ever lost in a Super Bowl. That's Jordan-esque.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:58 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Brady's team also cheated and hasn't won squat since.

Do you really believe the New England Patriots were the only team stealing signals? Don't tell me you're that naive.

They still had to go out on the field and beat the guy on the other side.

Don't let your Dolphins bias cloud your judgment regarding how great Brady is.

Quote:
And I don't believe that Montana has ever lost in a Super Bowl. That's Jordan-esque.

It is pretty awesome, but again that's the only category he bests Brady in. Brady has everything else and the touchdowns by a wide margin.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 pm

I think it's naive that anyone would dismiss the cheating as OK or that it didn't help them. It obviously helped them since they can't win a ring without it. No way they would have beat "the Greatest show on turf" in their prime without cheating.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:07 pm

swerve13 wrote:
I think it's naive that anyone would dismiss the cheating as OK or that it didn't help them.

Not dismissing it as OK but they aren't the only team doing it.

I'm sure steroids are rampant in the NFL and trainers know about it. I'm also sure other teams steal signals.

My point is you still have to outplay the guy across from you. You still have to cover, throw, run, catch and tackle better than the other team to win.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
I think it's naive that anyone would dismiss the cheating as OK or that it didn't help them.

I'm sure steroids are rampant in the NFL and trainers know about it. I'm also sure other teams steal signals.

My point is you still have to outplay the guy across from you. You still have to cover, throw, run, catch and tackle better than the other team to win.

They won with less talent and loss with more talent....THey also had a safety that was suspended for steroids.

Brady is not better than Manning. And Brady did have Moss for a few.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:22 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
Brady is not better than Manning.

This Sunday will go along way toward determining who is perceived as the better QB.

Manning wins, he is the best.

Manning loses, part of legacy will be "couldn't win the big one" even though he won one.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:43 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

This Sunday will go along way toward determining who is perceived as the better QB.

Manning loses, part of legacy will be "couldn't win the big one" even though he won one.

Brady is 0-2 since being caught cheating and has been not so good during that time..

That will be his legacy as far I'm concerned...AndI'm pretty sure a majority of NFL fans would agree

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
Brady is 0-2 since being caught cheating and has been not so good during that time..

That will be his legacy as far I'm concerned...And I'm pretty sure a majority of NFL fans would agree

I'm pretty sure you're wrong about how the majority of NFL fans will perceive Brady.

He's usually near the top of or at the top of the list when discussing best QBs in NFL history already and he isn't done playing yet.

But like I said, Manning can make it academic if he wins his second Superbowl ring, because he won't be just a stats guy. He'll be a two time champ.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:00 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Personally, I think too much has been made about the cheating. The Rams lost to the Patriots in the Super Bowl because Mike Martz passed the ball too much instead of handing it off to Marshall Faulk. The Patriots were in the nickel and dime for most of the game, and I was scratching my head in the 2nd half wondering why they gave up on the run.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:25 pm
Profile WWW
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

I am pulling for Denver but kill me for this & it is all opinion but I think Brady is better.
Yeah I know of spygate but I believe they have a better winning percentage post than pre.
In any case to see he has not won squat since is wrong. We as Dolphin fans know its not about the rings (Marino) but he has gotten to his share of conference championship games. Yes some years he has had the horses but others he has not. What we seem to forget is that we expect them to win every year and that is quite an accomplishment when it is pre conceived that a team will contend , how nice for a fan that must be.
Again its all opinion,cannot go wrong with any of the QB's mentioned.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:02 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Quote:
I'm torn between pulling for Russell Wilson (he QB'ed my NCSU Wolfpack for his first 3 years) or Peyton Manning in this one. I just can't get over my disgust for Pete Carroll. Even though I can't find a picture of it, I did find this article.

I live in Denver. I love Wilson, real stand-up, character guy. He is kind of the anti-Sherman. There is also this https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151977495729753&set=vb.182342489752&type=2&theater Is there really a better story than this? Anyway, I want Denver to win however it will be cold, nasty and Seattles Defense just brings it. So it wouldn't surprise me to see the Seahawks win big in ths.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:21 pm
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Maybe not the only team, but one of the few and the only one caught. I'm sure other teams are actively stealing signals during a game or watching tape but Belichick was the only one I know of to hire spies to go in and film practice. He should've received a lifetime ban from the NFL ala Pete Rose from the HOF. BTW, if you know what the other guy is going to do before the ball is snapped...out-playing him is rather easy.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:24 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

Quote:
And Brady accomplished this without a Jerry Rice on his team

He did however have Randy Moss in his greatest year ever, and a defense that backed him up. I also credit much of Brady's success to Belicheat and the cheating scandal. As much as I do hate Belichick he is an outstanding coach, he hasn't proven he can win another one after the scandal however.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:14 pm

Kev1321 wrote:
Rich wrote:
Kev1321 wrote:

That will be his legacy as far I'm concerned...AndI'm pretty sure a majority of NFL fans would agree

I agree with that. Take away the answers to the tests and he's not the smartest kid in class anymore.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:52 am

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

Maybe not the only team, but one of the few and the only one caught. I'm sure other teams are actively stealing signals during a game or watching tape but Belichick was the only one I know of to hire spies to go in and film practice. He should've received a lifetime ban from the NFL ala Pete Rose from the HOF. BTW, if you know what the other guy is going to do before the ball is snapped...out-playing him is rather easy.

Great post Junkie. Why can't other fans understand that?

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:54 am

BetterThanYou wrote:
Quote:
And Brady accomplished this without a Jerry Rice on his team

He did however have Randy Moss in his greatest year ever, and a defense that backed him up. I also credit much of Brady's success to Belicheat and the cheating scandal. As much as I do hate Belichick he is an outstanding coach, he hasn't proven he can win another one after the scandal however.

I've heard some football analysts give Vinatieri a ton of the credit for that dynasty run they had. Not like Brady was ever down by 5 and thrust his team into the end zone for the win. Vinatieri made legendary clutch kicks to win.

Last edited by swerve13 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:57 am

Quote:
On the final play of Super Bowl XXXVI, Vinatieri hammered a 48-yard field goal as the Patriots defeated the St. Louis Rams 20-17. A couple of weeks earlier in an AFC divisional playoff, Vinatieri ignored blizzard-like conditions and kicked a pair of field goals, one to tie the game with 27 seconds remaining, to defeat the Oakland Raiders 16-13 in overtime.

Two seasons later, with four seconds remaining in Super Bowl XXXVIII, Vinatieri exhaled deeply and booted a 41-yarder to beat the Carolina Panthers 32-29.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 am
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Seahawks all the way.

1- Peyton Manning snubbed us.

2- John Elway's handling of Tim Tebow, telling the world Tebow deserved to be the starter and then trades him to the Jets.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:32 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

NFLJunkie wrote:
There is also this https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151977495729753&set=vb.182342489752&type=2&theater Is there really a better story than this?

Wow. Now that is an inspirational story.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:50 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Big Dave wrote:
NFLJunkie wrote:
There is also this https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?v=10151977495729753&set=vb.182342489752&type=2&theater Is there really a better story than this?

Wow. Now that is an inspirational story.

Very inspirational ..... until the duracell battery popped up to remind me life is about marketing.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Seattle. I always liked their logo and uni's back in the day. Besides, Denver has a couple of SB wins (even tho I am no fan of Pete Carroll).

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:
Do you really believe the New England Patriots were the only team stealing signals? Don't tell me you're that naive.

Glad someone else said this. I will start out by saying I DESPISE the NE Patriots, but for me, it is absurd to keep hanging on to the cheating excuse to why NE won games or Super Bowls.

Since 2001, the Patriots have averaged TWELVE WINS a season. They have won 158 games since then and in those 13 seasons they went to the playoffs 11 times went to the Super Bowl 5 times, winning 3 of them. The players have to play the game and that is the bottom line. Belicheck is one of the greatest coaches of all-time, even if you hate him, you cannot dispute his accomplishments.

I wish Miami could say the say the same and if anything I am envious of what Pats fans get to experience.

My brother is a huge Seahawks fan and I want him to experience the feeling of his team winning the Superbowl!

Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:58 am
2013 Blog Writer VIP
2013 Blog Writer VIP

Finhead34 wrote:
Quote:

Glad someone else said this. I will start out by saying I DESPISE the NE Patriots, but for me, it is absurd to keep hanging on to the cheating excuse to why NE won games or Super Bowls.

Since 2001, the Patriots have averaged TWELVE WINS a season. They have won 158 games since then and in those 13 seasons they went to the playoffs 11 times went to the Super Bowl 5 times, winning 3 of them. The players have to play the game and that is the bottom line. Belicheck is one of the greatest coaches of all-time, even if you hate him, you cannot dispute his accomplishments.

I wish Miami could say the say the same and if anything I am envious of what Pats fans get to experience.

My brother is a huge Seahawks fan and I want him to experience the feeling of his team winning the Superbowl!

Karl has always had a huge man-crush on Brady. Again, case-endpoint...these aren't allegations, they're facts. The patriots got more than half those wins and all of those superbowl wins by cheating to get an unfair advantage. Belichick probably learned his lesson and now knows how not to get caught. He should've been banned.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:55 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If it wasn't a big deal, they wouldn't have destroyed the tapes so quickly.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:27 pm
Profile WWW

Kraft has always shared a bed with Goodell.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:19 pm
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ
2012 NFL Pick 'Em Champ

swerve13 wrote:

As does Ross with Philbin.
:haha

Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:02 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

FINesse wrote:
swerve13 wrote:

As does Ross with Philbin.
:haha

We are sleeping with the wrong people.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:08 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Gary "AKA" Junkie......You still have to play the game and execute. Go back and see how many close games the Patriots won and winning 158 games in 13 years averaging 12 wins a season is a fact too.

By the way, I hate Brady so don't be tagging no man crush my way, I was just throwing in a comment off Rich's comment, which is these guys still had to play the games no matter what.

Face it, you would give both your squirrel nuts for Miami to have done all that the Pats have done the past 13 years! :haha

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:06 pm

It's not a matter of hating on the Pats to me. Cheating is cheating, Id feel the same way if I were a Packer fan with no agenda toward the Pats.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:12 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Interesting read for all you Spygate fans:

SportingNews.com talked about Jimmy Johnson’s comments, and they also had a few interesting nuggets from Mike Ditka as well:

As expected, the Patriots spy scandal was a hot topic during the various Week 2 pregame shows. And much of the discussion centered on the notion that cheating is part of the game. For example, FOX's Jimmy Johnson admitted to videotaping coaching signals during his time with the Cowboys, and that he was told about the technique by a Chiefs scout 18 years ago. Johnson also confessed to having interns rifle through the press box trash in search of notes that might have been discarded by opposing coaches. Also, ESPN's Mike Ditka spoke of George Halas bugging locker rooms and George Allen videotaping practices.

In reality, what the Patriots really did and what they were harshly punnished for was crap directly on the new commissioner’s head. The only people not in on the "spying" secret prior to Mangini turning into a mafia-style rat in September of 2007 was, apparently, the fans.

So before fans of other NFL teams start throwing stones, keep in mind that not only is there a good chance your team was doing the same thing in some form or fashion, but I can probably find other separate examples of your own team cheating.

The Cowboys? Jimmy Johnson admitted illegally videotaping other team's signals.

The Broncos? See the ProFootballTalk.com article above. Also, there was that "winning a Super Bowl while cheating on the salary cap" thing.

The Jets? “The newspaper, sighting " league sources familiar with the situation", says the Jets were caught using taping during a game in Foxborough last season. Here's the difference though: The Patriots apparently didn't report it to the NFL and instead just had the offending employee removed.”(From wbztv.com)

The Giants? Belichick learned everything he knows about being a head coach from Bill Parcells (at least, that's what Bill Parcells would like people to think), whom he worked under in New York while the Giants were winning two Super Bowls in the 80s. Hmmm...wonder if they were videotaping signals back then?

The Steelers? Terry Bradshaw (among others) admitted that steroid use was common-place on their 70s Super Bowl teams. More recently, they had a team doctor caught up in a steriod distribution investigation.

The point here is this: If you look hard enough, you’ll find a reason to call almost every team and every former champion illegitimate.

A few other facts that have been distorted over the last couple of years:

1) Nobody believes the Patriots could have used the videotape during games. There’s no way they could get the camera guy into the locker room, break down the tape, relay the information to the coaching staff, and then relay the information to Tom Brady (who would have to know, since he would be the one who would have to change the play based on the signals he saw) during HALFTIME.

I mean, seriously, how long do you think halftime is?

2) Teams change their signals from game to game, especially when they’re playing the same team twice in a season.

3) Memo to Hines Ward: Offensive signals are sent via a microphone in the quarterback’s helmet. So if the Patriots’ defense always seemed like they knew what was coming, it was because your offense is so insanely predictable. It was DEFENSIVE signals they videotaped.

4) In 2001, the Patriots played the Steelers for the first time in the Belichick era in the AFC Championship game. Unless you believe that he was taping signals while working under Parcells in New York and brought the tapes with him to New England, Spygate had nothing to do with winning the AFC Championship game in January of 2002.

5) Same thing goes for the Raiders. And if videotaping signals is so important, how did the Raiders spank the Patriots when they met again in the 2002 season? Maybe the Raiders videotaped New England's sidelines...

Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next