View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 2:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ] 
 Dan Marino: 'I'd throw for 6,000 yards' 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Dan Marino: 'I'd throw for 6,000 yards'
Quote:
Published: Jan. 29, 2014 at 12:33 p.m. | 0 Views
05:40 – Dan Marino breaks down the Super Bowl matchup and also explains why he could break passing records every season.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-t ... -000-yards

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:23 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

Post Re: Dan Marino: 'I'd throw for 6,000 yards'
Ya Danny Boy!!!!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:04 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Ok Danny Boy... stop hating because your records have all been broken.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:13 pm

you stop hatin Rich, this league has become a joke when turds like Andy Dalton and Josh Freemen even throw for 4000 yard seasons. The NFL is so watered down now.
And he's right, the passing attempts are way up anymore. That's why Brees hits 5000 yards every season. Bradshaw even called him out on that. Brees is a numbers hog. He loves records. He made that obvious.

Marino gave Peyton a ton of credit and said he's great in this interview, so not sure how he's a hater.

I love when they show these all time overall passing record lists and all of the years are from 2004 to 2013 and dead smack in the middle one says 1984. That speaks volumes to how easy it is today to pass for 4 to 5 thousand yards or even 40 TD's.
5000 doesnt mean what it use to. It's like the steroid era in baseball.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:36 pm

swerve13 wrote:
you stop hatin Rich

Wow, you sound like a chick rushing to defend her boyfriend.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:59 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
you stop hatin Rich

Hey! Dan's not just Swerve's bf, k?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:08 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

Rich wrote:
Ok Danny Boy... stop hating because your records have all been broken.

You would think with all his money he would have moved on to CD's years ago anyway

Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I believe him actually. Give the 84 Dolphins today's rules and... BOOM!

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:42 pm

Ski_Money wrote:

Maybe, but those receivers were smallish compared to the 6'4 220 lbs monsters we see today.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Marino's record lasted for 26 years and then is surpassed 5 times in last 3 years. I believe he would have done significantly better in this era of football

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:53 pm

AQNOR wrote:
Marino's record lasted for 26 years and then is surpassed 5 times in 3 years. I believe he would have done significantly better in this era of football

Maybe, but things work in cycles. At the time, the NFL had several top QBs and pass happy teams. Then it reverted to more of a smash mouth football league and now it has gone pass happy again.

I get the argument about the rules being tougher on physical DB play, but athletes are bigger, faster, stronger. 6'4 220 lbs wide receivers that could run 4.4 40s did not exist in the 80s.

They do now.

Schemes have also evolved. Back then systems were less complex and you had two schools, the West Coast Offense and the East Coast Offense (Air Coryell derivative).

Today you have a plethora of different systems.

These arguments about "if X player played today he would do Y" are an exercise in futility.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:56 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
Marino's record lasted for 26 years and then is surpassed 5 times in 3 years. I believe he would have done significantly better in this era of football

Maybe, but things work in cycles. At the time, the NFL had several top QBs and pass happy teams. Then it reverted to more of a smash mouth football league and now it has gone pass happy again.

I get the argument about the rules being tougher on physical DB play, but athletes are bigger, faster, stronger. 6'4 220 lbs wide receivers that could run 4.4 40s did not exist in the 80s.

They do now.

Schemes have also evolved. Back then systems were less complex and you had two schools, the West Coast Offense and the East Coast Offense (Air Coryell derivative).

These arguments about "if X player played today he would do Y" are an exercise in futility.

It could have been a 26 year cycle but I have my doubts.

Not just the aggressive, I can chuck you well past 5 yards, DB play but the protection afforded to the QB's as well as the defenseless receiver/player rules.
I would think that if athletes are bigger, stronger, faster that could run 4.4 40's would only help a qb have better stats.

I understand you think it is futile, others may think it fun or interesting or at least worthy of taking time to write about as you have demonstrated. : )

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:15 pm

AQNOR wrote:
Not just the aggressive, I can chuck you well past 5 yards, DB play but the protection afforded to the QB's as well as the defenseless receiver/player rules.

Well, people talk about how DBs can't play anymore because of the rules... but the Seahawks make a living mugging receivers. So I don't know how much of an argument that is.

Quote:
I would think that if athletes are bigger, stronger, faster that could run 4.4 40's would only help a qb have better stats.

The DBs are athletes as well... and they are also faster, bigger, stronger.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:41 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
Ski_Money wrote:

Maybe, but those receivers were smallish compared to the 6'4 220 lbs monsters we see today.

I mean make those rules for 1984, not bring the 84 team in to today. 84 team today would get destroyed by the geneto-monsters playing these days.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:52 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think Marino's numbers would have been similar to Peyton Manning's ... unless he had the receivers and offensive line that JJ put together for him.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

Well, people talk about how DBs can't play anymore because of the rules... but the Seahawks make a living mugging receivers. So I don't know how much of an argument that is.

The DBs are athletes as well... and they are also faster, bigger, stronger.

I just don't agree with you that the db's today are allowed to be as aggressive as they used to be, especially with the defenseless player rules as well as the decision to enforce the 5 yard chuck rule in 2004. So I think it is a good argument, probably a great argument now that I think about it. lol

Agree the Db's are athletes as well and bigger, stronger, faster just like the Wr's are. But I thought the bigger, stronger, faster Wr was your reasoning for Db's not having as much of an impact on receivers? But if Db's are bigger, etc... then would that not negate your original line of reasoning?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:

That is right. He used plethora. :yay:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:57 pm

AQNOR wrote:
I just don't agree with you that the db's today are allowed to be as aggressive as they used to be

Watch Seattle....

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:02 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Just remember rule #6 when talking about Dan. :grin:

6. Do not use Don Shula and Dan Marino's name in vain...Or it is a permanent ban. No questions asked.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:04 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Marino is right.

Let's just look at Marino's 84 season vs Manning's 13 season.

Avg yards per attempt: Marino 9.0, Manning 8.3
Avg yards per completion: Marino 14.0, Manning 12.2
TD percentage: Marino 8.5, Manning 8.3

(Manning's completion percentage was higher, as well as his INT ratio.)

Manning threw 95 more passes this year than Marino did in 1984. If I simply make Dan throw the ball 95 more times, using his exact stats from 84, Marino would have thrown for:

5,940 yards and 56 TDs.

Which is, of course, higher than Manning's record breaking season.

So based on sheer quantity of passes, Marino would have hovered near the 6,000 mark back in 1984. If you factor in the rules changes, then he would have passed it.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

It certainly seems like another aspect of today's passing game is the higher quantity of short passes. Given the relaxed rules, and preference for 4 WR sets, it seems almost automatic to get a completion.

The average team threw for 3800 yards this year compared with 3300 in 1984.
The average team completed 56% of its passes in 1984. This year that number rose to 61%.

The games from Marino's 84 season just look different. I noticed fewer 4 WR sets, but longer passes. Marino's dominant offense just reminded me of how people pass the ball in Madden.

And here is the info because I bothered to look:

TD passes of 1-10 yards:
Manning- 27
Marino- 19

TD passes of 11-29 yards:

Manning- 18, Marino- 17

TD passes of 30 or more yards:
Marino- 12, Manning 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm3ErTOp0JQ enjoy.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:14 pm

1984phins wrote:
So based on sheer quantity of passes, Marino would have hovered near the 6,000 mark back in 1984. If you factor in the rules changes, then he would have passed it.

This is a perfect example of why this type of discussion is an exercise in futility. It didn't happen and we can't sit here and say if he threw 95 more passes the yards per attempt and completion percentage would have remained the same.

And we also can't say that you can take a Dan Marino and put him in today's NFL and he'll do the same thing. As I mentioned before, defenses were different back then and Marino got away with a lot of throws back in the day, probably because defenses were more simple and defensive backs were nowhere near the athletes we see today, Darrell Green excluded.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:24 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
This is a perfect example of why this type of discussion is an exercise in futility. It didn't happen and we can't sit here and say if he threw 95 more passes the yards per attempt and completion percentage would have remained the same.

And we also can't say that you can take a Dan Marino and put him in today's NFL and he'll do the same thing. As I mentioned before, defenses were different back then and Marino got away with a lot of throws back in the day, probably because defenses were more simple and defensive backs were nowhere near the athletes we see today, Darrell Green excluded.

Defenses weren't the only thing to evolve since then. Offenses have too and so have the players that play on that side of the ball.

It's not like Marino would've been incapable of adjusting to new defenses and I don't remember this abundance of bailed out moments you refer to. Marino had a crazy arm and quickest release in the game.

The whole thing is obviously just theoretical, harmless discussion but I personally have no doubt after watching the man's career that he would have a field day in today's NFL .... with one caveat. If we're talking post achilles-Marino he definitely would need a bonafied O-line because of how talented and freakishly athletic the edge rushers are now.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 9:52 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Joe Montana also talked about Dan Marino wrecking shop in today's NFL on Mike & Mike this morning .... here's the audio clip.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10369022

I love that a guy like Montana would say what he did. Especially considering he was a guy Marino's career has always been compared to.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:06 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:

No, but with 564 pass attempt sample size, we can estimate his total yards with a little bit of accuracy. It is not like Marino would have gone 10/95 or anything.

To me, these discussion are certainly more fun than "Ross sucks. Dolphins are a mess."

Rich wrote:

The stats don't bear out your argument though. By any measure, it is easier to pass the ball today than compared to Marino's time.

Once again, the average passing offense in 1984 looked like this:
56% completions, 3300 yards, 22 TDs, 21 INTS.

The average passing offense in 2013 looked like this:
61% completions, 3800 yards, 25 TDs, 16 INTS.

In 1984, you had 3 teams have 4,000+ yards passing.
In 2013, you had 13 teams with 4000+ yards passing.

Like Rock said after, it does work both ways. Marino wasn't exactly throwing to Gronk or Jimmy Graham either. Clayton and Duper were both 5-9. Hartline at 6-2 is a giant compared to them. And there isn't anything in Marino's skill set that would be problematic in today's game.

You take today's penchant for multiple WR sets, the tendencies of most defenses to play off the WR, and add Marino's quick release...... it would certainly be fun.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:23 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:
I just don't agree with you that the db's today are allowed to be as aggressive as they used to be

Watch Seattle....

Ok. I doubt I will see anything different than what I have seen watching them play already this year. I have also watched games from the era when Marino played and there is a difference, a significant difference, in my opinion of what Db's did then and now.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Rich wrote:
swerve13 wrote:
you stop hatin Rich

thought there was some rule around here about Marino Blasphemy. LOL

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:04 am

AQNOR wrote:
Marino's record lasted for 26 years and then is surpassed 5 times in last 3 years. I believe he would have done significantly better in this era of football

Irvin said Marino was the best at throwing that seam pass, so imagine him with Graham or Gronk.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:06 am

1984phins wrote:
Marino is right.

Let's just look at Marino's 84 season vs Manning's 13 season.

Avg yards per attempt: Marino 9.0, Manning 8.3
Avg yards per completion: Marino 14.0, Manning 12.2
TD percentage: Marino 8.5, Manning 8.3

(Manning's completion percentage was higher, as well as his INT ratio.)

Manning threw 95 more passes this year than Marino did in 1984. If I simply make Dan throw the ball 95 more times, using his exact stats from 84, Marino would have thrown for:

5,940 yards and 56 TDs.

Which is, of course, higher than Manning's record breaking season.

Good work 84. You are the quintessential Marino historian.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:13 am

Rock Sexton wrote:
Joe Montana also talked about Dan Marino wrecking shop in today's NFL on Mike & Mike this morning .... here's the audio clip.

I love that a guy like Montana would say what he did. Especially considering he was a guy Marino's career has always been compared to.

:yay:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:16 am
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Rich wrote:

I agree. It seems if Dan had a super bowl win or 2 under his belt these discussions would not exist but as Dolphin fans we tend to still defend his legacy any way we can like its our job.
I wish the current team would start winning but from recent events it seems we will still be talking what ifs with Marino & the 72 team for a long while.

Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:14 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rock Sexton wrote:

That's a good clip. Even Joe Montana thinks Dan Marino would be killing it in today's NFL.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:58 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

If both Dan and Joe say it.. it's true...

there are no higher powers in the game.....
:pumpiron:

Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:08 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I say 7000yrds Dan. :awe:

Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:05 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Watch Seattle....

When did the 5 yard rule come into play. I thought Dan played during the era when concact could be made downfield.

... and some teams get away with murder. It is like holding ... some teams never get flagged while others fart the wrong direction and a flag is thrown.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:43 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

We are just speculating, having some fun. I change mine to 8000yrds.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:09 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I'm pretty sure we can all agree that Marino would hit a wide open Mike Wallace in stride for a few TDs!

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

NFLJunkie wrote:
Rich wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

Watch Seattle....

When did the 5 yard rule come into play. I thought Dan played during the era when concact could be made downfield.

... and some teams get away with murder. It is like holding ... some teams never get flagged while others fart the wrong direction and a flag is thrown.

As I understand it in 1994 there was a rule put in place about the 5 yards but it was poorly written. Then in 2004 there was a revision and a renewed commitment to enforce it to the letter of the law because of declining passing numbers.

Interesting side note i think it was 2004 when Marino's single season TD total fell to Manning.

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:46 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Makchell wrote:
We are just speculating, having some fun. I change mine to 8000yrds.

Wow you really don't like Marino much it seems or why would you keep posting such low numbers?

Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 39 posts ]