View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 First Move the Dolphins Should Make 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Re: First Move the Dolphins Should Make
Phins Rock wrote:
Want to make a bet he's kept around? I'll let you name the terms. Whatever you want. Only Dave has veto power.

The topic is what they should do, not what they will do.

And just because they do something, doesn't make it the right move. This is the Dolphins we're talking about.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:51 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Oh don't back down now. This is worse than me backing down from the bet we almost made with Sherman/Ireland. And I would have been wrong. See, I'm an idiot....Bet me.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:36 pm

Phins Rock wrote:
Oh don't back down now. This is worse than me backing down from the bet we almost made with Sherman/Ireland. And I would have been wrong. See, I'm an idiot....Bet me.

What exactly am I backing down from?

English is not complicated. I said should, not will.

Here's some help.

http://dictionary.com

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:41 pm

Fine. You say should. I say should not and will not.

I guess unlike you, I'm confident enough in my opinion that I believe the paid professionals will agree with it.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Phins Rock wrote:

I guess unlike you, I'm confident enough in my opinion that I believe the paid professionals will agree with it.

So you're tying the word confident to the Miami Dolphins and their decision making.

You may be onto something in your previous post.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:58 pm

Rich wrote:
Phins Rock wrote:

So you're tying the word confident to the Miami Dolphins and their decision making.

You may be onto something in your previous post.

:)

I'll stop trying to convince you. My offer stands whenever you decide to add a little extra flavor to your Phinfever life.

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:00 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

MdDolfan wrote:
Rich wrote:
With about $112 million in contracts for 2014 and a salary cap of $126 million, plus a cap rollover of about $15 million, the Dolphins will have roughly $29 million in cap space going into free agency.

Here is the first move the Dolphins need to make.

Dmitri Patterson managed to play in only 6 games last season and start in only 4. For his limited playing time, he made $4.6 million. This season, he is projected to have a base salary of $5.4 million.

I know Patterson made a lot of plays in his limited playing time, but that is too much for a guy who can't stay healthy. And given the emergence of Nolan Carroll and Jimmy Wilson, as well as the potential of Jamar Taylor and Will Davis, it may be time to part ways and use some of that added cap space to resign Brent Grimes.

I like Patterson and would be willing to give him the opportunity to demonstrate he is healthy and restructure, but that cap number is too big and we don't take a cap hit for releasing him.

It would be the first thing I would do if I were Dennis Hickey.

A healthy Patterson is a top 10 CB in this league but I agree he is not worth the money if he's on the sideline. I hope he restructures because when we had him and Grimes on the field at the same time it instantly made our D better.

I agree with both of you. Patterson is an excellent candidate to re-structure. If we could get him for three years and around $8-9M, with only about half guaranteed, I think that would be a team friendly deal for a player of his quality.

After that, I hope Hickey looks to cut or trade players like Martin and Thomas. Both are due to make about $1M this season and both are backups that could be replaced with a draft pick or someone already on the roster.

Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2