View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Dennis Hickey's Track Record 
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Post Dennis Hickey's Track Record
From 2009 to 2013, Dennis Hickey was responsible for the Tampa Bay Bucs drafts according to him.

So let's take a look at his history drafting players for the Bucs.

Draft picks

2009 Draft
1 Josh Freeman - no longer with the team - 1 Pro Bowl
3 Roy Miller - no longer with team, with Jaguars
4 Kyle Moore - no longer in NFL - played 4 seasons
5 Xavier Fulton - no longer in NFL
7 E. J. Biggers - no longer with team, with Redskins as back up
7 Sammie Stroughter - no longer in NFL

2010 Draft
1 Gerald McCoy - still with team, 9 sacks in 2013, 2 Pro Bowls, top DT in 2013 according to PFF
2 Brian Price - no longer in NFL
2 Arrelious Benn - no longer in NFL
3 Myron Lewis - no longer in NFL
4 Mike Williams - still with team, 2nd in voting for rookie of year in 2010
6 Brent Bowden - no longer in NFL
7 Cody Grimm - no longer in NFL
7 Dekoda Watson - still with team, starting SOLB
7 Erik Lorig - still with team, starting FB

2011 Draft
1 Adrian Clayborn - still with team, starting DE, 13.5 sacks in 3 seasons
2 Da'Quan Bowers - still with team, back up DE
3 Mason Foster - still with team, starting MLB, 92 tackles, 3 INTs and 2 TD in 2013
4 Luke Stocker - still with team, back up tight end
5 Ahmad Black - still with team, back up safety
6 Allen Bradford - no longer with team, with Giants as back up RB
7 Anthony Gaitor - no longer in NFL
7 Daniel Hardy - no longer in NFL

2012 Draft
1 Mark Barron - still with team, starting safety, All Rookie Team
1 Doug Martin - still with team, starting RB, 1 Pro Bowl, All Rookie Team
2 Lavonte David - still with team, starting WOLB, All Rookie Team, 2013 All Pro, 144 tackles, 6 sacks, 5 INTs, 2 FF in 2013
5 Najee Goode - no longer with team, still in NFL with Eagles
6 Keith Tandy - still with team, back up safety, 3 INTs in 2013
7 Michael Smith - no longer in NFL
7 Drake Dunsmore - no longer in NFL

2013 Draft
2 Johnthan Banks - still with team, 3 INTs as rookie
3 Mike Glennon - still with team, starting QB, 19 TDs 9 INTs as a rookie
4 Akeem Spence - still with team, starting DT
4 William Gholston - still with team, back up DE, 2 sacks as a rookie
5 Steven Means - still with team, back up DE,
6 Mike James - still with team, back up RB, 4.9 YPC on 60 carries as a rookie

Observations

36 players drafted.

3 Pro Bowlers. 8.3%

1. Gerald McCoy
2. Doug Martin
3. Josh Freeman

4 All Rookies. 11%

1. Mike Williams
2. Mark Barron
3. Doug Martin
4. Lavonte David

5 studs. 13.8%

1. Gerald McCoy
2. Doug Martin
3. Mark Barron
4. Lavonte David
5. Mason Foster

19 still with team. 52.7%

24 still in NFL. 66.6%

12 no longer in NFL. 33.3%

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:11 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Post Re: Dennis Hickey's Track Record
http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia ... 080cbb8874

In this video Hickey outlines his vision and one thing he said that opened my eyes was he was asked "what changed to make Tampa a Super Bowl team?"
His answer was "we created an environment of COMPETITION at every postition. The coaches had to game plan in PRACTICE and nobody's job was safe so it brought out the best in everybody."

It sounds to me that no position is safe but especially RT will have some competion this year and i don't mean Pat Devlin or Matt Moore.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:19 pm

MdDolfan wrote:
http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Dennis-Hickey-Describes-His-Vision-For-The-Fins/4a14e882-9de6-4b41-99e7-49080cbb8874

In this video Hickey outlines his vision and one thing he said that opened my eyes was he was asked "what changed to make Tampa a Super Bowl team?"
His answer was "we created an environment of COMPETITION at every postition. The coaches had to game plan in PRACTICE and nobody's job was safe so it brought out the best in everybody."

It sounds to me that no position is safe but especially RT will have some competion this year and i don't mean Pat Devlin or Matt Moore.

I heard his interview with the Finsiders. The guy spoke in platitudes...

What type of team do you want?

I want a team full of tough, smart football players.

What is your vision for the team?

A team that wins up front, that plays hard, plays tough and smart and tackles hard.

What do you bring to the table?

I want to collaborate, push the envelope, be innovative and listen to all ideas to make the team better.

Sorry, I don't care about what he says in interviews... the only thing that matters is results and we're still a ways out from seeing them.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:23 pm
Phinfever Veteran
Phinfever Veteran

Ok so lets add another layer to your initial write up which is awesome by the way

Jon Gruden left after the 2008 season.... (so you are using the 2009 season as the starting ground which is when Raheem Morris was a "rookie" first year head coach)

Morris 09-11
Schiano 12-13

So basically, there was a "regime" shift when Morris took over in 2009.... and your draft class is probably one of the weakest here (IN HINDSIGHT) where the least amount are still remaining in the NFL.... this could be due to Morris' uncertainty/familiarity with Hickey's evaluation..... this could be a youth movement..... this could be draft busts.... or an attempt to weed out the bad apples.... they were a guinea pig draft class

Looks like 2010 was a gambling type of year... Morris' team played hard, but were relatively unsuccessful. It looks likt they played the game to find playmakers.... and hit gold on 2 or 3, and the rest were ultimate fizzles

2011 looked like the most stable but unspectacular draft class of this group.... ideally it looked like playing it safe to keep your job happened, and ultimately, Morris lost his

2012 Enter Greg Schiano and the Rutgers FA movement.... clean house boys!! first three picks were studs! and Schiano saw some success.... i think this is on the coach though... knowing as a Rutgers alma mater, your either one of his guys, or your not, which could explain the late round duds

2013 everyone made the team, most contributed, and the Buc's ultimately sucked, and the coach was fired.....

So where I was going with this is.... the first year was a new "regime".... and it only lasted 3 years, and moved onto Schiano's regime, that lasted 2......and instead of being there with Lovie's new regime, Hickey is now with us

This whole thing seems vaguely Dolphin-like (Ireland-Sparano..... Ireland-Philbin..... and instead of wiping both clean, Philbin stays, Hickey comes on board)

And seeing the parralels .... arent the draft histories of both relatively similar....well take it back one more year, as if 08 was hickey's 09 season...... Long drafted and moved on (Freeman).... etc etc etc.... with Philbin coming in, the roster purge began just like Schiano's purge began..... and now, we see what happens....

Ultimately, what i'm getting at is that Hickey was part of a very unstable environment in the post Gruden days..... kinda hard to judge his drafting outside of the immediate studs/duds due to the "constant" regime chances..... same as Miami.... without stable longevity, its hard to find the "New York Giants type track record" since that infrastructure has been together for a significant period of time to witness the 3 year make or break point..... TB and Miami's havent..... and hence we have players that are successfully playing on Super Bowl rosters every year, that didnt pan out here (WELKERRRRRRRR).....

So the positive i can take from this.... Hickey looks like hes been able to perform, if not thrive, in a chaotic, constantly changing work environment.... so experience in an unstable power structure like miami's, should be natural to him

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:45 pm

SkyHigh314 wrote:
2013 everyone made the team, most contributed, and the Buc's ultimately sucked, and the coach was fired.....

2013 was sabotaged by a coach who lost his team and a quarterback who lost his mind.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:58 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Quote:

Something under the radar that was interesting was Hickey buys into draft analytics. This is a growing fad in NFL circles where some teams are using computer metrics to help with talent evaluation. Scouts and GMs must still trust their eyes and the game tape. However, it appears Hickey and the Dolphins' front office will tap into computer analytics as a supplemental tool moving forward.

http://espn.go.com/blog/miami-dolphins/ ... nis-hickey

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:22 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

:awe:

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:29 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

So would this be SAFeRmetrics.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:38 pm

Caption:

This thing says to redraft Pat White, but this time in the first round.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]