View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Examining T.B.'s draft record with new Dolphins GM Hickey 
Phinfever Radio Host/Blog Writer

Post Examining T.B.'s draft record with new Dolphins GM Hickey
Quote:
### 2005: Running back Carnell Williams, picked fifth, was a disappointment (3.8 average in seven seasons), with Pacman Jones, Antrel Rolle and DeMarcus Ware among those chosen shortly after. But linebacker Barrett Rudd, selected 36th, became a quality starter.

### 2006: Davin Joseph (23) and Jeremy Trueblood (59) became solid pieces on the offensive line. Third-round receiver Maurice Stovall had just 52 career catches.

### 2007: Defensive end Gaines Adams, taken fourth overall, didn’t quite fulfill expectations, was traded to Chicago for a second-rounder before dying in 2010 from a heart condition. Tampa also took guard Arron Sears (35), who was very good for two years before developing a neurological condition that ended his career; selected a four-year starting safety in Tanard Jackson (106); and over-drafted journeyman safety Sabby Piscitelli at 64.

### 2008: Talented Aqib Talib (picked 20th) had 17 picks in his first four seasons before being traded to New England. Receiver Dexter Jackson (58th) was out of the league within two years, but Jeremy Zuttah (83rd) has been a decent starter.

### 2009: Quarterback Josh Freeman, picked 17th, made the Pro Bowl in his second season before a sharp decline in performance and his eventual release this past October. Defensive tackle Roy Miller, picked 83rd, started in Jacksonville this season. Only one of the Buccaneers’ other four picks (EJ Biggers) is still in the league.

### 2010: Gerald McCoy (picked third) has become a Pro Bowl defensive tackle, but the 35th pick (UCLA defensive tackle Brian Price) --- chosen one spot before Chiefs running back/Pro Bowl punt returner Dexter McCluster – is out of the league. Receiver Arrelious Benn, picked 39th (three spots before Rob Gronkowski), disappointed and was traded to Philadelphia last year. But receivers Mike Williams (101) and linebacker Dekoda Watson (217) were good value picks.

### 2011: Tampa made prudent selections at No. 20 with Adrian Clayborn (13 sacks in 35 games) and at 84 with linebacker Mason Foster (92 tackles, two sacks, three interceptions this season). But Da’Quan Bowers, picked 51st, has faded (one sack this season) after showing flashes early on.

### 2012: Dominik gives Hickey some of the credit for a draft that yielded three players that made the All-rookie team: safety Mark Barron (No. 7), running back Doug Martin (No. 31) and linebacker Lavonte David, the 58th pick, who has blossomed into a standout (144 tackles, six sacks, five interceptions this season). Safety Keith Tandy (three picks in 2013) was good value at 174.

### 2013: Tampa Bay didn’t have a first-round pick, and cornerback Johnthan Banks (chosen 43rd) has three interceptions in a backup role.

Dominik said Hickey supported the selection of quarterback Mike Glennon at No. 73, and he was the best of the rookie quarterbacks. Hickey also liked the selection of UM’s Mike James, who averaged 4.9 yards on 60 carries before fracturing his ankle.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/sports-b ... news.html##storylink=cpy

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:11 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: Examining T.B.'s draft record with new Dolphins GM Hickey
So basically a mixed bag with hits and misses. I'll be honest, he did better than I thought.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Did Hickey make the call on these selections?

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:41 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

Dphins4me wrote:

Exactly!!! He wasn't the GM.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:44 am
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

As director of college scouting for many of those drafts, he is the one putting the names forward to be decided.

However most teams have several names on a board for each selection. Just because these are the players TB selected, doesnt mean the ones they did not were not on the board as well...

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:45 am

catman_56 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Neither were any of the other candidates. So all you can do is look at the success those teams have had with personnel moves while these candidates were part of that team.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:26 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Rich wrote:
catman_56 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

Neither were any of the other candidates. So all you can do is look at the success those teams have had with personnel moves while these candidates were part of that team.

Yep. Ross did not interview anyone with experience. He was looking for the up-and-comer, I guess. Of the up-and-comers, he got the 4th one on the list I believe.

I'm sure Ross will call this a success.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:34 am
Profile WWW

Big Dave wrote:
Of the up-and-comers, he got the 4th one on the list I believe.

I'm sure Ross will call this a success.

I guess it was the fourth one on the list, but we'll see how it shakes out.

Of the other three, the only guy that excited me was Ray Farmer. He has a great reputation and was part of some successful drafts in KC.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:58 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

catman_56 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:

He wasn't but he was the guy who provided (Dominik) or the prior GM with the list of talent to pick from and sounds like he was the most experienced of them all. I know he wasn't the first choice but he might end up being the best choice.
I read a quote on twitter yesterday that Pete Roselle was the 23rd choice to become the Commissioner of the NFL and look what he did!

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:30 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]