View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ] 
 Mel Kiper Regrades the Miami Dolphins 2013 Draft 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Mel Kiper Regrades the Miami Dolphins 2013 Draft
Heck, he was nicer than I would have been. No one from our draft (except for Sturgis) really got on the field much to contribute anything. That doesn't mean that they won't in 2014, but there are big questions that were not answered at any point this season about this draft.

Mel Kiper wrote:
Post-draft grade: B-

Summary: As I wrote in April, the Dolphins didn't have to give up a lot to move from No. 12 to No. 3, but it put an extra onus on them to get some value with that pick. And while Jordan flashes a ton of ability, he was highly ranked on my board, and we really don't know if he can stay on the field in a starter's role long term. He was a situational player who was on the field for about 30 percent of snaps as a rookie, during which he showed he can get to the QB. But if you're on the sideline that often, we have to take it into account because that's your coaches concealing things you can't do. After that? Well, there's not much to evaluate. I'm not sure any team in the NFL saw less from a rookie class. Sturgis did a decent job at kicker, but it's quiet elsewhere. This draft doesn't look as hot a year later, but Jordan has talent.

New grade: D+

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft201 ... -nfl-draft

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Mel Kiper Regrades the Miami Dolphins 2013 Draft
Now that Ireland is gone maybe that draft class will get some playing time.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:34 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

AQNOR wrote:

Interesting observation. Since the coach generally decides who plays, are you saying Philbin deliberately wouldn't play the rookies because of Ireland?

Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

PADOLFAN wrote:
Interesting observation. Since the coach generally decides who plays, are you saying Philbin deliberately wouldn't play the rookies because of Ireland?

I do not believe it can be discounted.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:47 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

PADOLFAN wrote:
AQNOR wrote:

It was written tongue in cheek, however I don't think that the players available to Miami were used the best way they could have been. I kind of have a rule about those things that I don't always follow but probably should. Don't look for conspiracies when simple incompetence will suffice.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:57 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Where this draft most definitely failed is in our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Taylor, Thomas, and Davis all failed to contribute this year, and that really hurt us.
Long story short, we had high expectations for this draft class with all of the picks we had in the first few rounds. Ireland definitely missed the mark in my opinion.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:28 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

wkloiber13 wrote:
Where this draft most definitely failed is in our 2nd and 3rd round picks. Taylor, Thomas, and Davis all failed to contribute this year, and that really hurt us.
Long story short, we had high expectations for this draft class with all of the picks we had in the first few rounds. Ireland definitely missed the mark in my opinion.

That was Ireland's down fall in Miami. Failure to find talent in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That is where the core of your team is built.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:35 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

wkloiber13 wrote:

Not a matter of missing the mark. We didn't need the cornerbacks to play because previous Ireland acquisitions played well (Grimes, Wilson, Carroll, Patterson etc).

Dallas Thomas is a third round pick. Typically, a guy is taken in the third round or later for a reason.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:29 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Dallas Thomas is a third round pick. Typically, a guy is taken in the third round or later for a reason.

He should be a stud right out of the gate.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Maybe not a stud but definitely contribute. Thomas was picked with pick #77 in the 3rd round. Indianapolis drafted OG Hugh Thornton with pick #86 in the 3rd round. He started 12 games for the Colts in 2013. And Green Bay drafted OT David Bakhtiari in the 4th round with pick #109 and he started 16 games. Whats really hard to believe is Miami drafted Thomas in the 3rd round with pick #77 and actually made more two picks in the 4th before the Packers took Bakhtairi with pick #109. They drafted Jelani Jenkins in the 4th round with pick #104 and Dion Sims with pick #106.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:47 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

My grade of Mel Kiper:

predicting draft picks: D-

hair: F

Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:12 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:
Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Maybe not a stud but definitely contribute. Thomas was picked with pick #77 in the 3rd round. Indianapolis drafted OG Hugh Thornton with pick #86 in the 3rd round. He started 12 games for the Colts in 2013. And Green Bay drafted OT David Bakhtiari in the 4th round with pick #109 and he started 16 games. Whats really hard to believe is Miami drafted Thomas in the 3rd round with pick #77 and actually made more two picks in the 4th before the Packers took Bakhtairi with pick #109. They drafted Jelani Jenkins in the 4th round with pick #104 and Dion Sims with pick #106.

Not sure that Bakhtairi was a gem of a pick. I think his coach indicated that he is not assured that he will start next year. He did start out of necessity but graded out kinda of low I think. Have no idea about Dallas but was he in the middle of a position change?

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:45 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

bobby0112 wrote:

NFL careers are not sprints, but marathons. Miami gave up on Wade Smith for whatever reason. He moves to other teams & becomes a PB caliber player. This is not to say Thomas is a PB caliber player, but just because a 3rd Rd. pick does not contribute, does not mean he never will.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:20 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Dphins4me wrote:
Miami gave up on Wade Smith for whatever reason.

That is the one thing that I hate about replacing your head coach. If a player doesn't fit their style, they get rid of them.

This move right here (among otherse) really makes me want to go berserk:

Quote:
PoF: Best Single Games – Cornerbacks

1. Vontae Davis, 2013 – WK7, DEN @ IND: +7.9

Pass Rush: 0.0, Coverage: +7.5, Run Defense: +0.1, Penalties: +0.3

Does it get much better than this? Eight times Davis was thrown at and he graded positively on each and every throw, whether it be for his ability to close and make tackles for short gains (three of them), pass break ups (two) or just excellent coverage that may the throw impossible (five of them). A display of top end talent against top end receivers.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2 ... rnerbacks/

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:56 am
Profile WWW

Vontae Davis also gave up 8 TDs and had 1 INT this season. Weird how he grades out as a top 3 corner.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:52 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
Vontae Davis also gave up 8 TDs and had 1 INT this season. Weird how he grades out as a top 3 corner.

ya that doesn't make any darn sense. What kind of system is this. I don't even consider him a top 15 corner.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:48 pm

swerve13 wrote:
Rich wrote:

ya that doesn't make any darn sense. What kind of system is this. I don't even consider him a top 15 corner.

Numbers are only part of the equation. A player can give up a catch despite great coverage. This is taken into consideration by PFF. Davis only allowed 50% completion. That's top 10. He's also top 10 in passes defensed.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]