View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Hyde5: How big an issue was Philbin in GM search? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Hyde5: How big an issue was Philbin in GM search?
Quote:
Dave Hyde

8:53 a.m. EST, January 27, 2014

Five issues from the long, laborious search for the Dolphins' new general manager:

1. This wasn't a good time for Joe Phiblin. ... Philbin may go on and be a great coach. But he's looked ordinary, at best, through two seasons.

2. How will this affect Dolphins free agents, if at all? There is grumbling from players about the way this search played out. That's expected. ... And who doesn't grumble about the place they work at times ... The question is if this will have anything to the decisions from top free agents ... Not at all. They'll go where the money is.

3. Did Nick Caserio get any valuable information on his spy trip inside the team? ... What the Dolphins need to do is obvious ... somehow I don't think Bill Belichick is studying The Dolphins Way too closely.

4. Has Steve Ross learned anything? ...

5. It's tough being a Dolphins fan. ...

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 8935.story

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:27 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Re: Hyde5: How big an issue was Philbin in GM search?
Dave Hyde wrote:
New England's Nick Caserio and Tennesse's Lake Dawson wanted the control over Philbin's future. Much of of that is they wanted control of their own futures. But considering they turned down the job when that control wasn't given, it also says they weren't entirely comfortable marrying Philbin or trusting team owner Steve Ross with the decision on the coach. And why should they? What have either done to inspire trust? Philbin may go on and be a great coach. But he's looked ordinary, at best, through two seasons.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miam ... 8935.story

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:54 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

If I'm Joe Philbin I drop the barrier and give a heartfelt speech to the team. Something along the lines of "hey, I bleeped up at times and have cost us. Our image has been hurt and I need to correct things. But I picked you guys to be on this team for a reason and I believe in you..."

Well, you get the point. He hasn't earned the right to be a totalitarian coach. He needs them to understand their futures are tied together and they have enough talent to win games of the coaching and execution can mesh. But sometimes you have to go off the reservation, get a little creative and really push one another. Can't be afraid to criticize or get in one's face to ramp up the level of play.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:15 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dave Hyde wrote:
3. Did Nick Caserio get any valuable information on his spy trip inside the team?

I highly doubt the Pats give Miami a second thought.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:49 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Philbin himself may or may not have been an issue.
The real issue is offering a GM job that isn't actually in control of the organisation.

That speaks to Ross. More than Philbin, more than Ireland, Ross is the problem for the Dolphins.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:48 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

degs wrote:
The real issue is offering a GM job that isn't actually in control of the organisation.

That speaks to Ross. More than Philbin, more than Ireland, Ross is the problem for the Dolphins.

This structure where the GM doesn't have hiring/firing power over the coach is not that uncommon in the NFL... and in fact one Superbowl team has the opposite structure.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:31 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

[quote="jammer" He hasn't earned the right to be a totalitarian coach. [/quote]

And I don't thnk he has been.

Ireland dictated who was going to play where on the line. He wouldn't go get someone better than Crybaby Martin when Philbin didn't want to play him at LT and had asked for Brandon Albert. That isn't the sign of a tyrant or dictator. I don't buy the dictator nonsense. There hasn't been any legitimate sign of it. It seems to be that Ireland has been the puppet master of the team, even hamstringing his coach when he felt the need to.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

degs wrote:

I would agree that Ross is NOW the biggest problem with the Dolphins, but we don't get to vote on who owns the team. All we can do is hope he learns how to be a competent NFL owner.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:19 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:

Ireland dictated who was going to play where on the line. He wouldn't go get someone better than Crybaby Martin when Philbin didn't want to play him at LT and had asked for Brandon Albert. That isn't the sign of a tyrant or dictator. I don't buy the dictator nonsense. There hasn't been any legitimate sign of it. It seems to be that Ireland has been the puppet master of the team, even hamstringing his coach when he felt the need to.

Your response has absolutely nothing to do with jammer's comment about Philbin being a totalitarian coach... and yes he has been one... and yes there has been evidence.

You obviously missed Hard Knocks.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:25 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ross has handled things strangely but his loyalty to philben is nice in a world where loyalty gains nothing but mistrust. Maybe Ross just wants to give his guy a chance and wont let anyone who thinks they know better come in and try to handicap everyone else...maybe he believes in the direction they are going?? I know 7-9 isn't that great but fix a few things here a few things there and this team can be very good. when they beat atlanta and indianapolis to start the year we were all very excited about this team's ceiling. i think the oline and fatigue of patching it finally caught up by season's end. the main concern i have is when the team has come out flat against tampa bay, twice against buffalo bills and against the jets. inferior teams in must win situations.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:40 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

eleaf wrote:
[quote="jammer" He hasn't earned the right to be a totalitarian coach.

Ireland dictated who was going to play where on the line. He wouldn't go get someone better than Crybaby Martin when Philbin didn't want to play him at LT and had asked for Brandon Albert. That isn't the sign of a tyrant or dictator. I don't buy the dictator nonsense. There hasn't been any legitimate sign of it. It seems to be that Ireland has been the puppet master of the team, even hamstringing his coach when he felt the need to.[/quote]

Philbin got rid of the entire leadership council. He said the best thing about Chris Clemons is he keeps his mouth shut. Numerous beat guys reported that players commented on feeling uncomfortable speaking up to Philbin.

Ireland got rid of all of the players Philbin didn't want. Philbin said they needed speed so Ireland went out and overpaid for Wallace. I'm not buying this story of Philbin never believed in Martin. They had plenty of time over the summer to find a contingency plan or could have sent out feelers for trade opportunities in September.

Philbin is stubborn. Wants it his way. And that is fine if you've earned that approach. But guys aren't going to buy into your system if it isn't producing more than mediocre results.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Hickey was introduced to the staff earlier today........per miamidolphins.com, Ross is supposed to hold a presser later on..........I wonder how many questions he'll allow. This could be worse than the Browns' press conference.

FOOTBALL GUYS...........

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:56 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Looks like Aponte hasn't arrived yet to tie Philbin's tie and secure his Dolphins lapel.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:59 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Philbin has that keep your friends close & your enemies closer look.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]