View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 36 posts ] 
 2014 Reality 
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post 2014 Reality
I think the two themes for this upcoming season are "Hope" and "It is what it is." Like many others I spent this past weekend reflecting on the embarrassing headlines from the GM search, questioning my loyalty to a team that can't get out of its own way, and bracing myself for another potentially disappointing season.

The reality is that we are not very certain on the inner workings of the front office but we know 2 things for sure: 1. Ross is extremely loyal to Philbin and Aponte, and seems to have faith in their longevity 2. We don't know a lot about Hickey but we know he wasn't the first choice. We do not know who has final say (despite what is said publicly) or how long the rope will be for this matrimony of Coach, GM and Capologist.

There is room for hope. Despite even my own waffling on his performances, one cannot deny that Ryan Tannehill offers considerable upside. He had the best year for a Miami QB in the last decade outside of Pennington...and Pennington had a very good o-line, a solid ground game and a highly successful gimmick formation to relieve him of putting the team completely on his shoulders. If Bill Lazor is the QB whisperer and tailor made for a guy like Tannehill (which has been suggested by the likes of Schefter, King and Mortenson among other big names) then you would think there is a decent possibility that Ryan can take the next step as well as mask other problems on offense.

Another reason for hope is the development of chemistry. There were a lot of new, expensive toys added this past offseason. With any luck, another offseason of building chemistry and some continuity in their schemes will help Wallace, Ellerbe, Wheeler, Gibson and others perform at a higher level than last year. I'm expecting improvements from the rookies as well. Dion Jordan, Dion Sims, Jelani Jenkins and Caleb Sturgis all contributed. Let's hope Jamar Taylor and Will Davis provide good depth and maybe even start a few games.

One major factor is how hard these guys will play for Philbin this year. Some Phinfever members suggested they already displayed that by stringing some wins together after the Martin/Incognito fiasco. I'm of the opinion that they hated the media nonsense and played for one another to rebuild a good reputation. Once they were in the driver's seat they take on the vanilla attitude of the coach and flopped when it mattered most. Did everyone - coach, assistants, QB, offense, defense - learn from this? Were they humbled? We'll find out.

They were an 8-8 team this year and should have most of their talent back. Rebuilding the o-line is a challenge but it cannot get any worse than last year. They have a breath of fresh air at offensive coordinator and a new GM who apparently will play nice with Philbin and Aponte. IF the players will play for one another and their coach then improvement is possible. If they see a circus atmosphere that we currently fear than regression is more than possible.

The 2014 reality is that we have no idea if this team is going to be better or worse. There are some reasons for hope and some evidence to suggest doom. I think we've been through enough as fans over the last month so it is time to breathe, decompress and search for optimism.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:23 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Post Re: 2014 Reality
I'll stick with the hope side.... again.... lol

I think we will get better! i also think the list of teams that we play... OUCH...

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:13 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

3-13

Unless Lazor turns out to be amazing.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:24 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

randylvc wrote:
I'll stick with the hope side.... again.... lol

I think we will get better! i also think the list of teams that we play... OUCH...

That is kind of the point, it is all a big unknown and there isn't any evidence to suggest excitement.

Things I really hope for:

Ryan Tannehill finds deep ball chemistry with Mike Wallace
Mike Wallace lines up all over to exploit mismatches
Rishard Matthews breaks out (going off of your hunch JP)
Dallas Thomas can start at OG or replace Tyson Clabo
Dion Sims or Michael Egnew can turn a corner and be a starting TE
Jamar Taylor or Will Davis step up to a starting role
The LBs learn from previous mistakes and "almost" live up to their contracts
Dion Jordan enters a rotation with Cameron Wake and Olivier Vernon, similar to the DTs

Most of this comes with good coaching. At least we have hopeful improvements at OC and LB coach.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:08 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

I think we'll be anywhere between 6-8 and 10-6. The 10-6 would be "hopeful", but we'll probably be near .500 again.

I'll be honest, those last two games this year have me very concerned about next year. You just don't come out flat against your divisional rivals that have losing records if you are in control of a playoff spot.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:17 pm
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:

I'll be honest, those last two games this year have me very concerned about next year. You just don't come out flat against your divisional rivals that have losing records if you are in control of a playoff spot.

Agree.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:21 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I don't hold a lot of hope for the Phins in 2014...........I anticipate the Bills, Jets and Pats to all be improved next year..........not encouraging since we were 2-4 in the Division. The hope comes that the team can resolve the issues at OL & LB..............subsequently improving QB/RB play and rushing D, respectively.

It's quite possible this team continues where we left off, finishing at the bottom of the AFC East. Then what do you do..............fire the entire the staff including the new GM & OC and go back to the same GMs that originally turned you down?

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:37 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Big Dave wrote:

That's all on Philbin and is a big example of why he should've been fired

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

TommyNoleFin wrote:
Big Dave wrote:

That's all on Philbin and is a big example of why he should've been fired

I view that more as a team thing than an individual to blame.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:58 pm
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

My prediction. 0-17.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:01 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

Rich wrote:
My prediction. 0-17.

And hopefully the top draft pick in 2015. In 2011, teams were trying to Suck for Luck. Next season lets hope the Dolphins are Infamous for Famous Jameis

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:04 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
My prediction. 0-17.

lol ever the optimist.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:05 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Big Dave wrote:
I think we'll be anywhere between 6-8 and 10-6. The 10-6 would be "hopeful", but we'll probably be near .500 again.

I think another copy/paste 7-9 season would be more painful then 4-6 wins on the season.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:09 pm

AQNOR wrote:
Rich wrote:
My prediction. 0-17.

lol ever the optimist.

I'm predicting a one and done in the playoffs. Thus the 17th loss.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:09 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

14-2, then one and done in the playoffs and everyone is fired

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:20 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I am in the "it is what it is" group. I am going to hope for at best a (10-6 and wildcard spot) , but really expect another mediocre performance (8-8). And honestly I will not be surprised if they flat line and tail spin to 5-11. This season will hinge on whether Miami can fix the o-line, generate at least a mediocre ground game and have Tannehill continue to improve.The schedule is going to be tougher than last years schedule.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:22 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
The schedule is going to be tougher than last years schedule.

We don't know this yet. Last year we probably looked at Indianapolis, Atlanta, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, New England and maybe a few others as unwinnable games. Injuries and other circumstances provided prime opportunities to get wins.

A knee injury to a team's QB, major losses on defense or a light bulb going off for Tannehill could change a lot.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:59 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

10acjed wrote:
14-2, then one and done in the playoffs and everyone is fired

lol i think at this point if they even made the playoffs we should retire the entire teams numbers..

Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:16 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

The 13 win bus is leaving the station right now.
Lazortron & Hickeylicious.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:43 pm
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

The reality is, Ross has been a blundering buffoon and is running this team into the ground.  So far:

- he shopped for a new head coach before firing his existing head coach
- he involved his GM with this dumb attempt (which means an inherited GM), thereby failing to land the head coach he semi-secretly lusted after
- he then gave an extension to his lame duck coach that he didn't even want
- he turned down proven coaching candidates out of loyalty to his backstabbing, unproven GM
- he allowed a lower-level employee to worm her way between him and his GM, protecting her and moving her out from under him
- he then gave an extension to his undermined, incompetent GM
- he fired his GM with no intention of exposing Philbin to risk
- he dawdled about and let the media drive the narrative on his GM search
- he allowed more desirable GM candidates to walk out of loyalty to his unproven coach

If there's a single phrase that describes Ross, it is [i] being loyal to people who have done nothing to earn it [/i ] (which is ironic, given that his first signature act as an owner was a conspicuous and amateurish backstabbing attempt).  He fired Sparano a year too late and he fired Ireland 2-3 years too late.

Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:28 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

TommyNoleFin wrote:
The reality is, Ross has been a blundering buffoon and is running this team into the ground.  So far:

- he shopped for a new head coach before firing his existing head coach
- he involved his GM with this dumb attempt (which means an inherited GM), thereby failing to land the head coach he semi-secretly lusted after
- he then gave an extension to his lame duck coach that he didn't even want
- he turned down proven coaching candidates out of loyalty to his backstabbing, unproven GM
- he allowed a lower-level employee to worm her way between him and his GM, protecting her and moving her out from under him
- he then gave an extension to his undermined, incompetent GM
- he fired his GM with no intention of exposing Philbin to risk
- he dawdled about and let the media drive the narrative on his GM search
- he allowed more desirable GM candidates to walk out of loyalty to his unproven coach

If there's a single phrase that describes Ross, it is [i] being loyal to people who have done nothing to earn it [/i ] (which is ironic, given that his first signature act as an owner was a conspicuous and amateurish backstabbing attempt).  He fired Sparano a year too late and he fired Ireland 2-3 years too late.

Not disagreeing with everything, but I wouldn't label Aponte a lower level employee he wormed her way in. From info coming out it sounds like she was good at her job. The problem seems to be that she wanted to climb the ladder, it affected Ireland's abilities, she saw an opportunity to protect herself by allying with Philbin and pulled trigger. I'm guessing that Ireland didn't like that she could disrupt his targets with her contract control. I read he tried to get her fired, and instead he lost power over her this offseason leading to something of a demotion and parting of ways.

Another thing to consider is that he truly believes in Philbin. Why I don't know, but I don't get the impression he's trying to be nice and stay loyal just to do so. He really thinks Philbin is turning this team into a winner.

I hope this doesn't sound like a defense (its something I hadn't considered), but I read an opinion saying that firing Philbin after year 2 and an 8-8 record sends a message to future coaching candidates that isn't necessarily positive. You'd be developing a Cleveland-type reputation. Not sure if I agree or disagree with this, but it is something to consider.

There was a really good chance to bring in a highly coveted GM candidate and hire a new coach this offseason. There is some talent in place - QB, WRs, DL, Secondary - that good minds could develop and make a playoff run with. I really hope that whatever Ross sees in Philbin, plus the addition of Lazor are the necessary ingredients to get this team over the hump. I'm skeptical.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:30 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I was going to start a thread listing all the positives about the Dolphins, but I got depressed when I realized how much of it was just wishful thinking.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:21 am
Profile WWW

rodneyfaile wrote:
I was going to start a thread listing all the positives

Do it.

Shouldn't take long to complete.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:23 am

rodneyfaile wrote:
I was going to start a thread listing all the positives about the Dolphins, but I got depressed when I realized how much of it was just wishful thinking.

This should be your new avatar...

Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:25 am
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

rodneyfaile wrote:
3-13

There's no basis for this kind of pessimism. None.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
3-13

When were you appointed to decide this?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:38 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

jammer wrote:
I hope this doesn't sound like a defense (its something I hadn't considered), but I read an opinion saying that firing Philbin after year 2 and an 8-8 record sends a message to future coaching candidates that isn't necessarily positive. You'd be developing a Cleveland-type reputation. Not sure if I agree or disagree with this, but it is something to consider.

I'm with this to an extent. I couldn't care less what "message" it sends to some in the future candidates. What firing Philbin does is continue the trend of "if you can't fix this team in 2 years, you're out." It's a bad mentality. We cannot win consistently if we're changing the essential moving parts every 2-3 years.

This isn't to argue that there doesn't need to be a line where enough is enough, but I firmly believe that anything less than 4 years for a coach/GM combo is a waste of time (short of outright incompetence like Cam Cam).

Though I like Philbin (with some reservation), I do think that not allowing a GM to come in and find his own coach was a huge mistake, but we'll see how it works out.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:48 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
but I firmly believe that anything less than 4 years for a coach/GM combo is a waste of time

So now that we've hired a new GM, do you think the clock resets for Philbin and he shouldn't be touched until 2018?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:53 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:
3-13

When were you appointed to decide this?

Can you see a single valid reason why this team would go 3-13 next season? Even with the worst OL performance in team history (exacerbated by a GM who wouldn't go and get someone better at LT after Philbin let him know that Crybaby Martin couldn't cut it) , a nonexistent running game, Crybabygate, and an utter collapse at the end of the season we finished 8-8. Short of a complete collapse of the entire team, there shouldn't be a single reason why anyone should expect a record as abysmal as 3-13.

Stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:54 pm
Profile WWW
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
but I firmly believe that anything less than 4 years for a coach/GM combo is a waste of time

So now that we've hired a new GM, do you think the clock resets for Philbin and he shouldn't be touched until 2018?

Not sure. But it is tough to evaluate a combo when they don't have time to work together. We give players time to jell (WR/QB timing, OL play, defensive backfield communication, etc) before we judge them. Should we not do the same for the FO?

I do think it was a mistake to hamstring the new GM. But if the decision is to keep Philbin, he needs a legitimate shot to show whether he can actually work with Hickey or not, and it's gonna take more than one year, and probably more than two.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:59 pm
Profile WWW

eleaf wrote:
Can you see a single valid reason why this team would go 3-13 next season?

There are multiple reasons this could happen.

1. Players not believing in the coach, and seeing how some players want out, I can see this happening
2. A new GM who may be in over his head, we don't know what type of job Hickey is going to do
3. Injuries, we are thin at several positions
4. We won 8 games, only one in blowout fashion, we could have easily been on the losing end of many of those, that's the nature of mediocrity

Quote:
Stop being argumentative for the sake of being argumentative.

Stop thinking your point of view is the only one with any validity.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:00 pm

eleaf wrote:
But it is tough to evaluate a combo when they don't have time to work together.

It isn't tough to evaluate a head coach when his post game speeches put you to sleep and he can't do something as simple as change a frickin snap count.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:01 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'd give Philbin one more year as well. They have switched schemes on offense and defense. It takes at least 3 years to get the right personnel in place. However if his team doesn't continue to improve in the win column next year it could be time to send him on his way. Is 10 wins and a wild card berth too much to ask for in year 3?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

Prediction 8-8 (+/- 8)

Major concerns: Defense. Coyle got 3 of the first 4 picks in the Dolphins Draft, he got Brent Grimes in FA and fielded a defense that was confused and overmatched on the field. If his players didn't overwhelm the competition through talent, Miami usually lost the game. Although Coyle didn't get much help from the offense, his defense didn't keep many leads safe either. Overall, I can't believe the kept this guy. He must have naked pictures of Ross.

Reason for optimism - Ryan Tannehill...despite being sacked on a regular basis and having to deal with pressure on every down...he progressed. You'd like to see what he can do with an OL that keeps him upright for more than 3 seconds.

Overall: My Fall Sundays just got free'd up from being tied to the TV. I'll use NFL replay again to watch the games and study them but no way am I forking out hard earned cash for DTV or will I waste time buying plane tix to watch them live. I spend more quality time with the Fam. :yay:

Here's hoping they shock me because in year's past I had a sense of what they should do. I fully expect them to crap the bed next season. 4-12 as the team quit on Philbin late in December. As someone stated above...that is very concerning. You can't beat two inferior opponents, 1 at home, and you let two QBs who will be out of the league in a couple of years put up 20 points on your defense. :crap

Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
eleaf wrote:
Can you see a single valid reason why this team would go 3-13 next season?

There are multiple reasons this could happen.

1. Players not believing in the coach, and seeing how some players want out, I can see this happening
2. A new GM who may be in over his head, we don't know what type of job Hickey is going to do
3. Injuries, we are thin at several positions
4. We won 8 games, only one in blowout fashion, we could have easily been on the losing end of many of those, that's the nature of mediocrity

The Dolphins started the season playing well, but it's not how you start, it's how you finish. Going by the way they ended the season only scoring 7 points in the last two games against weak division rivals with a playoff spot on the line for motivation..... well that is my basis.

If Lazor doesn't do something that can get this offense to score more points, we will be abysmal. Next years schedule is tough, and then there are the points Rich brought up. I have no confidence that the new GM can adequately fill the holes we have, and I think Philbin has lost the team. More importantly, I think Ross lost his mind.

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:55 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
rodneyfaile wrote:

This should be your new avatar...

Maybe if I could photoshop a few Dolphins emblems, a helmet stripe, maybe a jersey number.....

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:58 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 36 posts ]