View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis
I just happened to come across this documentary film produced by Frontline, a PBS news group. It originally aired in October '13, so several of you may have seen it. As a quick synopsis, it covers the researchers that originally discovered a tie between Football and CTE and the NFL's attempt to deny the research. The NFL's original coverup is even compared to Big Tobacco. Interestingly, the cause and effect of CTE is not limited number of full concussions received, but a progression of head hits "mini-concussions" that players routinely receive during practice and play.

The film lasts about 2 hours, but it's well worth the watch. It certainly gives me a new perspective on the League's efforts to limit shots to the head and the real threat to Football going forward. Some researchers even state no one under the age of 14 should play tackle football. See what you think.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365093675/?start=1200

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:19 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: League of Denial: The NFL's Concussion Crisis
Not buying that its like the cover up of Big Tobacco, who was selling a product for profit knowing it was bad for the lungs. Any fool who thought slamming into each other had no adverse effect on ones health is just that a fool. Players deserve nothing more than the paycheck they received.

People still smoke today even knowing the information. Parents still put their 4 yr old in tackle football, because their kid will be the next superstar Qb.

I did hear once & have no clue if the information is correct, but until helmets there were no or very little concussions.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:34 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Dphins4me wrote:
I did hear once & have no clue if the information is correct, but until helmets there were no or very little concussions.

Yeah well that could very well be because of a lack of awareness about concussions at the time.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Dphins4me wrote:
Not buying that its like the cover up of Big Tobacco, who was selling a product for profit knowing it was bad for the lungs. Any fool who thought slamming into each other had no adverse effect on ones health is just that a fool. Players deserve nothing more than the paycheck they received.

Granted the coverup is not as bad as Big Tobacco.......Smoking killed and continues to kill millions of people. What the documentary shows is similarity in response by both the NFL and Big Tobacco to the scientific evidence. The NFL has studied this since '94..........up until 2010, their research groups were led by individuals whose main objective was to disprove any negative claims. The NFL is using a main tactic by Big Tobacco.............acting as if they're proactive in addressing the issue, but instead stretching out their research and remaining non-committal on any findings........instead denying any blame and stating more research is needed.

To me it's clear the NFL wants to put out a positive image, but will not admit any direct correlation until they're absolutely forced to.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:33 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
Granted the coverup is not as bad as Big Tobacco.......Smoking killed and continues to kill millions of people. What the documentary shows is similarity in response by both the NFL and Big Tobacco to the scientific evidence. The NFL has studied this since '94..........up until 2010, their research groups were led by individuals whose main objective was to disprove any negative claims. The NFL is using a main tactic by Big Tobacco.............acting as if they're proactive in addressing the issue, but instead stretching out their research and remaining non-committal on any findings........instead denying any blame and stating more research is needed.

To me it's clear the NFL wants to put out a positive image, but will not admit any direct correlation until they're absolutely forced to.

Understand, but do not care. Banging your head up against a wall, then complaining it hurts falls on deaf ears for myself. I'm more like "Sorry dude, but what did you think would happen? Is your body different than everyone else?

NFL may have known, but frankly they should not have had to release any info. Common sense should tell people. Why do we need a study to point out the obvious?

Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:51 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I think it is all bull crap. These guys get paid millions of dollars to play a contact sport. They know the risks of getting hit constantly over and over and they are compensated "very well" to do what they do. Now these guys blew threw more money than we will all make in a lifetime combined and they are trying to get more out of it because they weren't told that getting hit in the head over and over will give you concussions. Give me a break. I can't feel sorry for any of these guys, it is ridiculous.

Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:52 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Watched that a couple months ago..Very telling.

I agree every profession has job related side effects..Why these guys are getting so much from an injury is beyond me...

Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:22 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Retired players are being compensated in large part because the NFL did not expose the long term effects of head trauma. They instead did the opposite and said there were no long term effects. Their research teams went as far as produce medical papers stating players who suffered a concussion could return to play the same day.

I'm not a fan of our tort system, but under our current system of law, individuals who are unknowingly exposed to risks by their employers often receive substantial compensation.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:38 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
Retired players are being compensated in large part because the NFL did not expose the long term effects of head trauma. They instead did the opposite and said there were no long term effects. Their research teams went as far as produce medical papers stating players who suffered a concussion could return to play the same day.

I'm not a fan of our tort system, but under our current system of law, individuals who are unknowingly exposed to risks by their employers often receive substantial compensation.

Its a pure money grab. These guys negotiate their own contracts. They are not employees as typical people.

In a simplistic form they are nothing but mercenaries. If they suffer ill effects from head trauma, then I'm sorry to hear that, but again. What did you think would happen slamming yourself into each other?

Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:51 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

shularino wrote:
Retired players are being compensated in large part because the NFL did not expose the long term effects of head trauma. They instead did the opposite and said there were no long term effects.

If they knew about the long term effects and told the players this all along, do you honestly think any of these guy's would think of it as a deal breaker? Hell no.

Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:04 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

What about Pee Wee football, junior high, high school, select, college and now Pro's....?

This is about money, and I agree, when the NFL folds its tent, I cannot wait.

I am so sick and tired of today's whinny players, looking to sue.

Our country will eventually be destroyed by greed and absurd lawsuits.

You didn't hear any of this crap, when players in the 70's wore suspension helmets, how bout when Daryl Stingley when he became a quadriplegic or Dennis Byrd....? Why did players continue to play then? How bout Joe Theisman?

This is all about lawyers getting in players ears and earning millions for themselves, acting like their protecting players, please, I am so tired of it.

If you jump out of a plane and something goes wrong, who can we blame....?

Take the pads off, play flag football, I have seen some real bad injuries with even playing flag football, but wait, lets sue and say we didn't know we could get injured.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

funny thing...the steelers are the biggest culprit in starting all this stuff.

but yet they are the biggest cry babies about not being allowed to hit/play steeler football.

Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]