View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:44 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Interesting Article on Ray Farmer - Browns Fan's Perspective 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Interesting Article on Ray Farmer - Browns Fan's Perspective
Quote:
The Browns are poised to make a mind-boggling gaffe even before they hire their next coach.
They’re prepared to lose Assistant General Manager Ray Farmer and keep General Manager Mike Lombardi.

I’m flabbergasted by that possibility because it should be the other way around.
I can’t believe the Browns would choose Lombardi over “one of the up-and-coming stars in the NFL,” as Browns CEO Joe Banner described Farmer in September.

I can’t believe owner Jimmy Haslam hasn’t realized the folly of what he said at the NFL owners meeting in March. “I’ll be surprised if Ray’s not a GM in the next few years, which will be good and bad news for us,” Haslam said, conceding that one day Farmer would work for an opponent.
That doesn’t have to happen.

Haslam could tell Banner that Farmer's running the day-to-day operations and overseeing stadium upgrades, but not picking the players. He could tell Lombardi to head back to the NFL Network. He could hand Farmer those 10 selections in the May draft, those two first-round picks to find a quarterback of the future and a reported $46 million in salary cap space and let him go to work.

I’d have much more faith in where the Browns are headed if Haslam and Farmer were leading them.
The chance Farmer could leave the Browns arose Wednesday when the Browns gave him permission to interview for the Miami Dolphins GM vacancy.

A league source, speaking on condition of anonymity because the two teams had yet to comment, confirmed that for the Beacon Journal.

Farmer has all the credentials to be a GM. A linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles for three years, Farmer joined the Browns last season after spending 2006-12 with the Kansas City Chiefs, where he was director of pro personnel. He worked four years as a scout for the Atlanta Falcons. A four-year letterman at Duke, Farmer served as the Blue Devils’ football academic coordinator after ankle and knee injuries ended his career with the Eagles.

Farmer’s mentor is former Browns guard John Wooten, now chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which advocates the hiring and promotion of minority candidates in the NFL.
Wooten said Farmer is ready for the next step. He called Farmer’s talent evaluation skills “excellent” and lauded his people skills.

“That’s why we put him in Cleveland last year,” Wooten said in a telephone interview Thursday. “He’d done the college, he’d done the pro. We wanted him in a situation where he could learn the nuances of office administration, how you communicate with the league, all of that. We know that he’s more than ready.

“He represents everything we want to see. We want the hard work, the dedication, the commitment, above all the ability to study and make yourself better all the time. He has all that. He’s not a selfish person.”

Now Wooten wants Farmer “to have the opportunity to run his own show.” That doesn’t mean Farmer’s departure from Cleveland is a certainty. Wooten has issues with the Dolphins’ organizational structure that might keep him from recommending Farmer take the job if offered.

“You’ve got to bring in more cohesive people in terms of the coaches working together with the personnel department and the front office and the ownership,” Wooten said. “All of that has to be working together. There’s a reason why certain teams win and certain teams don’t win and it’s not always because of the players they have on the field.”
Wooten was speaking about the Dolphins, but he might as well have been talking about his old team.

http://www.ohio.com/sports/browns/marla ... e-1.458234

The article does seem to be overly optimistic of Farmer's potential, but it's nice to dig into some of his background.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:08 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Interesting Article on Ray Farmer - Browns Fan's Perspective
I was reading some Browns fans comments. They don't want to lose the guy. They hate Lombardi.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 3:17 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Hopefully his reputation is enough that he can negotiate more control from Ross than Ireland had.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:47 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Fans usually know better, hire him!

Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:49 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

Wooten does not have issues with our structure.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:02 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Also, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has released a statement saying this would be a true GM job with final say over the roster, with the GM reporting directly to him. And, John Wooten of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which oversees diversity in NFL hiring practices, said that a senior Dolphins official "assured me that is not the case" about any concerns he previously harbored about this process, and he has advised African-American and Latin American candidates to pursue this job as they would any other, with no trepidation.

"I told those guys, everything is fine," Wooten said.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jas ... -questions

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:24 am
Phinfever Ring of Honor
Phinfever Ring of Honor

I would hire Farmer immediately if I were Ross. Kansas City has sent multiple players to the Pro Bowl both last season and this season, and a lot of that is due to Famer's work.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:41 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

bobby0112 wrote:
Also, Dolphins owner Stephen Ross has released a statement saying this would be a true GM job with final say over the roster, with the GM reporting directly to him.

But the GM will not have control over the coaching staff. Just my opinion, but I think an NFL GM is more qualified to chose coached than Ross.

That is what I am not liking with this current remodeling. Rich has pointed out that other teams have done it the way Ross is doing it, and had great success. I just prefer a more top down structure. I think it makes for more responsibility and less finger pointing.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:50 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

rodneyfaile wrote:
But the GM will not have control over the coaching staff. Just my opinion, but I think an NFL GM is more qualified to chose coached than Ross.

Owner hires the football guy.

Football guy hires the coach.

Coach hires his staff.

rodneyfaile wrote:
That is what I am not liking with this current remodeling. Rich has pointed out that other teams have done it the way Ross is doing it, and had great success. I just prefer a more top down structure. I think it makes for more responsibility and less finger pointing.

While true & there is no set pattern of success in the NFL on this.

The issue here is Philbin is going into Yr. 3 of being a bad coach who has already proven to be ignorant & weak in his desire to deal with any player he might have to actually coach.

Now the team is wanting to bring in a new GM to provide players for a coach he does not know & who might only last one more yr if he does not improve. Why waste the yr?

It would be interesting to see how often a new GM is hired & has to retain the old unsuccessful coach.

Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]