View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 6:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 In-house GM canididate Brian Gaine 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post In-house GM canididate Brian Gaine
Well, if we want to go with the status quo then Gaine is your man. He would be my last choice.

Armando Salguero wrote:
Gaine is the in-house candidate. He is considered a strong candidate because of his familiarity with the Dolphins and the roster. He has a good working relationship with both coach Joe Philbin and executive vice president for football administration Dawn Aponte.

My concern with Gaine?

While he is obviously not Jeff Ireland, he's been here for what transpired during the Jeff Ireland era. So if 7-9, 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 wasn't good enough to keep one guy employed why is it good enough to promote another?

Perhaps Gaine can convince Ross that his ideas were different than Ireland's.

I will say this: In 2003 the Miami Dolphins, under then owner Wayne Huizenga, conducted a national search for a general manager. Among the men they interviewed were Ted Thompson and Jerry Reese. Neither got the job. The job was given to in-house candidate Rick Spielman.

Two years later Spielman was fired. Thompson went on to win a Super Bowl as Green Bay's general manager and Reese went on to win two Super Bowls as the New York Giants general manager.

I'm not saying Gaine is Spielman. I'm saying the Dolphins need to be very careful.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy

Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:49 am
Profile WWW
Phinfever Global Moderator
Phinfever Global Moderator

Post Re: In-house GM canididate Brian Gaine
Quote:
While he is obviously not Jeff Ireland, he's been here for what transpired during the Jeff Ireland era. So if 7-9, 6-10, 7-9 and 8-8 wasn't good enough to keep one guy employed why is it good enough to promote another?

That's a pretty ridiculous way of looking at it.

I won't judge anybody unless they have former GM experience to judge them on. Otherwise it's all just speculation.

Farmar coming from Cleveland doesn't matter. Nor does Gaine being in-house. We have no idea how good these guys are at evaluating talent, developing and executing a vision for a 53 man roster, and managing day-to-day organizational situations.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:24 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Isn't Gaine the guy who actually found Wake?

I'd love to see what his suggestions were to Ireland. And I will keep arguing that I think Ireland's track record would look better if he had coaches who developed the talent.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

jammer wrote:
Isn't Gaine the guy who actually found Wake?

I'd love to see what his suggestions were to Ireland. And I will keep arguing that I think Ireland's track record would look better if he had coaches who developed the talent.

According to Wake's Wikipedia page, after Wake did so well in the CFL, 17 NFL teams were interested in him and he worked out for 8 of those teams. I wouldn't say he "found" Wake.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:14 am
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

rodneyfaile wrote:
According to Wake's Wikipedia page, after Wake did so well in the CFL, 17 NFL teams were interested in him and he worked out for 8 of those teams. I wouldn't say he "found" Wake.

Yes, I'm not suggesting this is like Nick Nolte finding Neon Bobo in Blue Chips. Just saying Gaine is given credit for recommending that Ireland take a closer look and bringing him in. It is still a good thing to have on your resume.

Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:20 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Going off what the Argo's Director of Player Personnel Chris Rossetti tells me Gaine is one of the most knowledgeable and personable front office up and comers.

Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:10 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Armando Salguero wrote:
I will say this: In 2003 the Miami Dolphins, under then owner Wayne Huizenga, conducted a national search for a general manager. Among the men they interviewed were Ted Thompson and Jerry Reese. Neither got the job. The job was given to in-house candidate Rick Spielman.

Two years later Spielman was fired. Thompson went on to win a Super Bowl as Green Bay's general manager and Reese went on to win two Super Bowls as the New York Giants general manager.

Read more here: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins ... rylink=cpy[/quote]

:cry:

Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 am
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

AFCMiamiEast, that cut me to the heart, too.

Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:33 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]