View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 What about Kevin Coyle? 
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post What about Kevin Coyle?
All I hear is talk about Mike Sherman and possibly Ireland's job that is in the most jeopardy, but what about Kevin Coyle and his defense? I grabbed statistics from 2011 which was the last season BEFORE Coyle took over and then listed the 2012/2013 seasons which he was running the defense.

The numbers aren't earth shattering AGAINST Coyle according to these specific basic stats listed below, however clearly the defense has gone backwards IMO. I personally miss the 3-4 style defense and this year the Dolphins D nearly gave up 2000 yards rushing (1998 to be exact) along with 14 touchdowns.

My point is that I believe Coyle has blame as does Sherman, so my hope is that Ross gives this a long hard look too. Heck, I would certainly talk to an available option like Leslie Frazier who if I am not mistaken was a pretty darn good defensive mind.

2011 Record: 6-10-0, Finished 3rd in AFC East Division
NFL Season Summary

Points Allowed 313 points (19.6/g), 6th.
Differential of 16 points (1.0/g), 14th.

2012 Record: 7-9-0, Finished 2nd in AFC East Division
NFL Season Summary

Points Allowed 317 points (19.8/g), 7th.
Differential of -29 points (-1.8/g), 20th.

2013 Record: 8-8-0, Finished 2nd in AFC East Division
NFL Season Summary

Points Allowed 335 points (20.9/g), 8th.
Differential of -18 points (-1.1/g), 18th.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:24 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Post Re: What about Kevin Coyle?
We finished 3rd in the AFC East, not 2nd.

I think Coyle should go too.

If you get rid of Ireland, Sherman, and Coyle..... might as well just clean house entirely.

Somebody find us a leader! A real footbal guy!

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

I agree and would rather the 3-4 also...But the defense would really benefit from a better offense.

The GO GO crap is just insane to me...Everyone around here played football at one time or another...The first thing any team ive been around yelled pass when the qb gave up what the play was going to be..Right?

Our team tells the defense...works wonders on play action.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:58 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Ray Horton was just axed from Cleveland as DC. Good reputation and runs a 3-4.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:12 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

I think our personnel are way better suited for a 3-4. So long as Solai remains. If we lose both Starks and Solai, kiss that idea goodbye.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:11 pm
Phinfever Starter
Phinfever Starter

Ski_Money wrote:
I think our personnel are way better suited for a 3-4. So long as Solai remains. If we lose both Starks and Solai, kiss that idea goodbye.

What became of Dion Jordan, I never heard his name called out much this season, when all the experts said he would be an impact player.

Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:17 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Quote:
Nick Foles and Kirk Cousins are better than Ryan Tannehill today.

You can't take this many sacks in a season and throw that many picks

But you don't know what became of Jordan?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:36 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

3-4 defense with Soliai at NT, Odrick and ? at DE, Wake and Jordan at OLB, Ellerbe and Misi at ILB.

I'm not sure they can re-sign Soliai, Starks, Grimes and Clemons. Soliai is the key to the line and Grimes is a must sign.

I'd like to see the team spend on Albert as well to solidify the LT spot, but my guess is they will try to bring back McKinnie and focus on a more complete RB.

This team has the pieces to be a playoff team. They are not true contenders yet, but can get there with better coaching and perhaps some development of current talent.

With a consistent ground game and better Tannehill/Wallace chemistry they could be dangerous on offense. With the ability to stop the run the defense will not tire itself out.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:15 am
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

rodneyfaile wrote:
We finished 3rd in the AFC East, not 2nd.

I think Coyle should go too.

If you get rid of Ireland, Sherman, and Coyle..... might as well just clean house entirely.

Somebody find us a leader! A real footbal guy!

Don't say that.. the long list of "Football Guys" we have hired and failed with.. staggering..

i'm thinking we should call up a WWF manager next and see if that works....

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:00 am
Phinfever Live!, Blog Writer

rodneyfaile wrote:
A real footbal guy!

Define "real football guy"? What does that even mean?

Have we been hiring fake football guys?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:04 am
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

jammer wrote:
3-4 defense with Soliai at NT, Odrick and ? at DE, Wake and Jordan at OLB, Ellerbe and Misi at ILB.

I'm not sure they can re-sign Soliai, Starks, Grimes and Clemons. Soliai is the key to the line and Grimes is a must sign.

Vernon is pretty nice & I think he could handle himself at DE in the 3-4. Possibly better than Odrick. I'm not sure if Wake would be that good at OLB, hes a special pass rusher but not a great tackler.

I agree that Soliai & Grimes are must haves for this team.

My hope is Coyle feels the pressure through the personnel changing & tweaks his game. There was a lot to learn this year but I'm not sure the defense made strides or improvements as the season went on. That New England game was a bench mark "bend but don't break" game because we gave up yards to the guys that might hurt but not kill us.

Anyone else think Singletary built SF's D & Harbaugh is taking the credit? I thought he was a solid DC

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:33 am

Steve Zissou wrote:
Vernon is pretty nice & I think he could handle himself at DE in the 3-4. Possibly better than Odrick.

No way. Vernon is too short, light and weak against the run to play 3-4 DE. Ideally, you want your 3-4 DE to be like Randy Starks and Jared Odrick, 6'4 to 6'6... about 280-310 lbs and strong against the run.

Quote:
I'm not sure if Wake would be that good at OLB, hes a special pass rusher but not a great tackler.

Um... Wake played OLB in our 3-4 defense for a few years under Sparano and was an absolute stud.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Perhaps Vernon transitions to OLB as well?

Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:58 am

jammer wrote:

He would have to. And why couldn't Dion Jordan transition to ILB? He's athletic enough to play any LB position in a 3-4.

Vernon, Jordan, Ellerbe, Wake would be a formidable linebacker group...

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:02 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

He would have to. And why couldn't Dion Jordan transition to ILB? He's athletic enough to play any LB position in a 3-4.

Sure, just figured his speed in the pass rush would be better suited for OLB.

Again, I think there is some talent in the front seven, its just not always used properly and Wheeler seems to drag the whole LB group down.

With a good draft and some transition to a 3-4 would Miami be able to cut him and absorb the hit? Otherwise he is just overly expensive depth.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:05 am

Wheeler is a $4 million cap hit if cut in 2014. He is a $200K savings in 2015.

I don't see him going anywhere.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:10 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Rich wrote:
jammer wrote:

But where would that put our stud ILB, Mr. Wheeler??? :haha

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:20 pm

marc23 wrote:
But where would that put our stud ILB, Mr. Wheeler??? :haha

I do find it interesting that Ellerbe and Wheeler were highly rated before coming here and proceeded to suck once they got here.

Meanwhile, we were dying to get rid of Dansby and Burnett and they went to other teams and tore it up.

Speaks volumes about the coaching.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:26 pm
Phinfever Legend
Phinfever Legend

Solai and Starks will not be on the same team next season. Sad as that is to say. The offense needs a lot of help and the Defense is going to pay for it. Grimes, Clemons and one of our Tackles. Likely Solai will remain and Starks gets to FA.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:57 pm
Phinfever Rookie
Phinfever Rookie

I would like to see a Leslie Frazier come in or even a Jim Haslet or Ray Horton. This was Coyles first stint at DC and there were just not enough adjustments to plug holes in the running game. I can see him getting a pass though. I also agree that the D would have benefited from better Offensive play but at times the D came to play. I think the talent is there. Wheeler and Ellerbe would benefit from better coaching! They had good years prior to coming to Miami which seems the place where everyone's "skills" deteriorate, and when they leave they will be all stars again.

Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:24 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

You got it.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 12:40 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Rich wrote:
I do find it interesting that Ellerbe and Wheeler were highly rated before coming here and proceeded to suck once they got here.

Meanwhile, we were dying to get rid of Dansby and Burnett and they went to other teams and tore it up.

Or they were one yr wonders who had good yrs.

Dansby needed to go because he was being paid like he is playing now, plus he admitted to being fat & out of shape the yr Miami started 0-7.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:46 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I think Frazier is the Bucs DC...I think.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:22 am

Dphins4me wrote:
Rich wrote:

Or they were one yr wonders who had good yrs.

Dansby needed to go because he was being paid like he is playing now, plus he admitted to being fat & out of shape the yr Miami started 0-7.

I don't believe in one year wonders. If a player can do it for one season, he can do it for more as long as the system and the coaching continues putting him in a position to succeed.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:38 am
Phinfever Global Moderator

Makchell wrote:
I think Frazier is the Bucs DC...I think.

I think Smith wants Marinelli as first choice. I know you are closer to the Tampa situation Anthony , I like the hire but if Smith does not find a QB , he will be gone in 2-3 years & will be our top candidate to replace whoever is coaching us then.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:39 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Frazier is NOT the Bucs Defensive Coordinator and as of now is still available.

IMO, why not bring Kubiak in to run the offense and Frazier to run the defense, then Miami has THREE head Coaching resources on the staff. I like what other head coaches do like John Fox hiring Jack Del Rio a former HC to be a coordinator. I think it helps elevate the team and that knowledge is paramount.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 10:44 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Frazier is NOT the Bucs Defensive Coordinator and as of now is still available.

IMO, why not bring Kubiak in to run the offense and Frazier to run the defense, then Miami has THREE head Coaching resources on the staff. I like what other head coaches do like John Fox hiring Jack Del Rio a former HC to be a coordinator. I think it helps elevate the team and that knowledge is paramount.

Thanks for the clarification. I wouldn't mind that at all. Maybe Fraizer and Kubiak can tie Joe up and tell him "we got this", just keep practicing for Goonies 2.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:07 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Mak, of course I don't expect this to happen, but Kubiak and Frazier IMO both have personalities that could work with Philbin. Both respectful upstanding guys that relate well to their coaches and players and both have high ethical standards.

But, no, that would be too good of a fit over Sherman & Coyle....lol

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:10 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

I know you are closer to the Tampa situation Anthony ,

I really don't even listen anything Bucs...lol

I like the hire but if Smith does not find a QB

Funny you mention this, all of the coaches fired have no QBs. Kubiak was a genius and then when Shaub played well, when he falered, he's fired. Shannahan had the next best QB in RG3 and he struggled, done. BTW, check Shanahan's record with Elway and without Elway, 2 different coaches. Minn, same deal, start Freeman, lose your job. Staford puts up monster numbers but he's 1-25 against winning record teams, Swartz, done. NFL is funny that way. On a micro scale, check the Fins when RT played liked a franchise QB, win after win. When he sucked, the team sucked. For the thousandth time, it's all about QB play in the NFL.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:11 am
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Mak, of course I don't expect this to happen, but Kubiak and Frazier IMO both have personalities that could work with Philbin. Both respectful upstanding guys that relate well to their coaches and players and both have high ethical standards.

But, no, that would be too good of a fit over Sherman & Coyle....lol

??? I agree with you., I wouldn't mind this happening at all. If Philben let Sherman "run everything" give these guys a chance as 2 former head coaches.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:13 am
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Thursdays

I'm not sure why Coyle is getting a free pass. 3 of the top 4 picks were defensive...none made the field full time. Big time FA money was spent on new LBs. His defense might have done alright in the points against catagory... but had to suck in the scoring, turnovers and yards against catagories. He should've been able to hold both Buffalo and the Jets out of the endzone with the QB talent on those teams. He needs to be part of the GO! package...as in GO-GO get gone.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:34 am
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Unfortunately, I think Ross may not do anything......really hope I am wrong though.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:43 am
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Two head coaches you want?

Quote:
In 2000, Sherman became the head coach of the Green Bay Packers. He led the Packers to five consecutive winning seasons from 2000–04. From 2002–2004, he led the Packers to three consecutive NFC North Division titles. From 2000–04, he compiled a 53–27 record, and a .663 winning percentage, which was the second highest in Packers history, trailing that of Vince Lombardi's, who is one of the most successful coaches in the history of football. Additionally, Green Bay and the Philadelphia Eagles were the only two teams to make the playoffs for four consecutive seasons from 2001–04

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:33 pm
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor
2013 Phinfever VIP Donor

Makchell wrote:

Funny you mention this, all of the coaches fired have no QBs. Kubiak was a genius and then when Shaub played well, when he falered, he's fired. Shannahan had the next best QB in RG3 and he struggled, done. BTW, check Shanahan's record with Elway and without Elway, 2 different coaches. Minn, same deal, start Freeman, lose your job. Staford puts up monster numbers but he's 1-25 against winning record teams, Swartz, done. NFL is funny that way. On a micro scale, check the Fins when RT played liked a franchise QB, win after win. When he sucked, the team sucked. For the thousandth time, it's all about QB play in the NFL.

Couldn't agree more...Billycheat before Brady

Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:37 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

Frazier verbally agreed to join the Bucs tonite.

Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:32 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I was wrong, I read where someone else was being targeted for the DC for Tampa and Frazier did get that job after all.

All I can say is smart move by Lovie Smith and if Miami sticks with Coyle and our season on defense next year goes in the crapper and Tampa's defense becomes a top D, shame on the Miami Dolphins for not going after this guy because defensively, this guy has a solid attack strategy.

Same goes for the offense, if Sherman comes back we have deja vu and struggle again next season and Gary Kubiak was available , double shame on Ross.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:46 am

Let the "How about Wade Phillips" talk start.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:48 pm
Phinfever Lead Moderator
Phinfever Lead Moderator

omg, ill stop watching.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:52 pm

Makchell wrote:

omg, ill stop watching.

LOL , who is this Colts DC .... looke like our kind of guy.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:59 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays
Phinfever Blog Writer - Fridays

The Colts braintrust is worse than ours.

Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next