View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:16 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 Dolphins Brian Gaine ... Future general manager? 
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

Post Dolphins Brian Gaine ... Future general manager?
If he is, I don't see it this year unless the Dolphins make a good playoff showing. Why pick a GM from a team that doesn't make the playoffs?

NFL.COM's Albert Breer wrote:
Future general managers

Brian Gaine, assistant general manager, Miami Dolphins: Gaine, who interviewed with the Rams and Jets the last two years, is from the Bill Parcells tree. He's a strong, connected evaluator who works on both the college and pro sides, but he could feel the effects of a difficult few months in Miami.

Chris Ballard, director of player personnel, Kansas City Chiefs
Nick Caserio, director of player personnel, New England Patriots
Eric DeCosta, assistant general manager, Baltimore Ravens
Tom Gamble, vice president of player personnel, Philadelphia Eagles
Jason Licht, vice president of player personnel, Arizona Cardinals
Ryan Pace, director of player personnel, New Orleans Saints
George Paton, assistant general manager, Minnesota Vikings
Jimmy Raye, vice president of football operations, Indianapolis Colts
Duke Tobin, director of player personnel, Cincinnati Bengals
Lionel Vital, director of player personnel, Atlanta Falcons

Additional risers: Blake Beddingfield, director of college scouting, Tennessee Titans; Ran Carthon, director of player personnel, St. Louis Rams; Scott Cohen, senior personnel advisor, Tampa Bay Buccaneers; Lake Dawson, vice president of player personnel, Tennessee Titans; Ray Farmer, assistant general manager, Cleveland Browns; Scott Fitterer, director of college scouting, Seattle Seahawks; Brian Gardner, director of pro personnel, Houston Texans; Brian Gutekunst, director of college scouting, Green Bay Packers; Joe Hortiz, director of college scouting, Baltimore Ravens; Will McClay, assistant director of player personnel, Dallas Cowboys; Lance Newmark, assistant director of college scouting, Detroit Lions; Vince Newsome, director of pro personnel, Baltimore Ravens; Jon Robinson, director of college scouting, New England Patriots; Marc Ross, vice president of player evaluation, New York Giants; Eliot Wolf, director pro personnel, Green Bay Packers; JoJo Wooden, director of player personnel, San Diego Chargers.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200000 ... h-and-more

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:17 am
Profile WWW
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Post Re: Dolphins Brian Gaine ... Future general manager?
Sign me up for anyone from the Ravens or Packers -- two franchises that are consistently among the best, year in and year out. Also two franchises that rarely (if ever) make any splashy free agent signings. Not saying I don't like that time of year, but championship teams are built through drafting and developing.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:43 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

MNDolfan wrote:
Sign me up for anyone from the Ravens or Packers --

Definitely, we should check out the OC from GB to help build our offense....

:haha

On a serious note, bring in Bill Polian, you want to talk about a guy with a proven resume. 2 different teams, 5 superbowl appearances. Also had a 3 year run with Car where they went 12-4 in his 2nd year...

Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:58 pm
Phinfever Global Moderator

Quote:
Definitely, we should check out the OC from GB to help build our offense....

:) :) :)

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:14 pm
Phinfever Hall of Famer
Phinfever Hall of Famer

What about that fellow from San Fran. Or Seattle? Been some good drafting on both those teams.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:48 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

I'll go ahead and say it.............I think Ireland has done a good job the last couple of years. I don't look at this team and say they lack talent. I'll admit, if the team falters down the stretch then there's going to be a lot of pressure on Ireland. Looking at the other side, if the Phins make the playoffs, there's not a good reason to replace Ireland.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:31 pm
Phinfever Owner/Admin
Phinfever Owner/Admin

shularino wrote:
I'll go ahead and say it.............I think Ireland has done a good job the last couple of years. I don't look at this team and say they lack talent. I'll admit, if the team falters down the stretch then there's going to be a lot of pressure on Ireland. Looking at the other side, if the Phins make the playoffs, there's not a good reason to replace Ireland.

I would definitely like to wait and see how we do the last 4 games. To be honest, we've been in every single game aside from the Saints game. In fact, we were in prime position to win several of our losses. I like the direction this team is going as far as grabbing athletes.

Download the Free Phinfever Browser Toolbar

Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:48 pm
Profile WWW

At some point I would like to stop liking the direction the team is going & already be at the direction we want to be at.
It just seems like year in & year out we are mired in bad to mediocrity.

This division was our to win this season. We loved that Tannehill & Wallace were working together this off season while Brady did not even know the names of his receivers. How has that been working out. I know the playoffs are still in reach & if we make them I have no doubt we will go far but honestly , I thought our record would be much different at this point. I know we can use the off the field stuff as an excuse , even replacing the "refs are out to get us" excuse we use year after year but that just adds to the embarrassment that is hovering over this season.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:25 pm
Phinfever All Pro
Phinfever All Pro

Direction we are headed? Ok I agree too, I love it....... but morphing from a plod and trod type team that Parcells built into an aerial machine takes time.... gotta acquire the right players for the mold, and there are only 2 ways (draft/free agency)... We have got to accept a new plan (thats what happens when you change coaches so often). Now if Sparano shed the guard over to Shanahan, maybe it would have happened faster, not saying he's a better coach, but "his version" of the WC offense could allow for less mobile OLmen, and the types of backs we had last year.... Going from Sparano's team to say GB/Houston's offense is a radical shift.... the bigger the shift, the more time needed for transition

Secondly. Ireland should stay!! He may have whiffed in FA, but that happens to many GMs, especially ones that are in a rush to assemble some form of radical game style shift. But I think he has accomplished MOST of his goals he set each year....

Find a franchise QB..... think we got one!
Find a compliment to Wake..... Vernon-check, Jordan-huge potential
Find a shutdown corner....... Grimes-check
Find a TE threat....... Clay, I think being in the top 8 in yardage for a TE accomplishes that
Get younger on D....... Ellerbe, Wheeler, all those CBs, Clemons/Jones tandem... Check
Acquire an alpha receiver...... ok, not yet, but Wallace is starting to come on
Find talented RBs....... I think Miller can be great given the carries, and a better OL
Build depth........... one of the deepest DLs in the NFL, one of the better secondaries, 4 starting caliber receivers, a good backup QB, i think this one is accomplished too

Where has he failed? Building an OL..... and again, this is a radical shift in philosophy, so I'll take those bumps along the way as he is coming into his own.

Thirdly, this Martin situation could have happened ON ANY TEAM.... My alma mater (Rutgers) has a bullying scandal going on too. This really has nothing to do with the GM except the fact that he signed the guys.... but the GM is not the disciplinarian in the locker room, If the GM is spending that much time in the locker room, he can not be running his other roles (scouting and such)

Fourth, Ireland WAS a rookie GM when we grabbed him. Philbin WAS a rookie coach. If Miami makes the playoffs this year, the sky is the limit. And they would both be home grown rather than some past glory alibi which has burned Miami in the past so many times..... Johnson, Wanny, Saban

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:08 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Good write up SkyHigh.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:19 pm
2014 Phinfever VIP!
2014 Phinfever VIP!

Gaine is definitely headed for big things, he's also the guy that helped us get Wake here.

Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:29 pm
Phinfever Blog Writer
Phinfever Blog Writer

IMO if we are going to change again, lets just change from top to bottom. Bring in a GM/VP type that will bring a new staff with them. Scouting and all..

IDK enough about Gaine to say he is a good choice, seems to me to be more of the same. A guy brought in by Parsucks, and trained by Ireland...

Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]